OtakuBoards

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Dagger

[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=#5d0b08][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]
[CENTER][IMG]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6171/422ad92e8fa1df23efd36caiw4.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Haruhi doesn't approve of laziness [/CENTER]

Anyway, if you watch the episodes int he order they were broadcasted[spoiler] You'll get the ending after Kyon and Haruhi go into closed space and all that fun stuff. Hairstyles included.[/spoiler] This ending is much more climatic than the chronological one which feels rather bland and faded out.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]S'ok, cause I'm an alien. But shhhhhh.

With that being said....ah. Then watch in it's intended order I shall. As long as Haruhi keeps up her oh so crazy antics.[/font]

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BKstyles][FONT=Tahoma']I absolutely love that Haruhi's VA is the same as Misa's from Death Note ^_^.[/FONT][/quote][color=#007520]If you like Aya Hirano, you'll be pleased to hear that she's coming to the States for [url=http://www.anime-expo.org/]Anime Expo 2007[/url]. I'm not. That's because I learned of this [i]the day after[/i] my allotted conventioning. Thus I can not go to Long Beach California, by June 29, and considering they are probably never going to come back, I'm going to go shoot myself now. [/emo otaku mode]

Erhem.

:) If you can make it to Los Angeles by then, be sure to go check out the website. You may be tempted to pre-register. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goto_Yuko]Yuko Goto[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikuru_Asahina]Mikuru Asahina[/url]), [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chihara_Minori]Minori Chihara[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki_Nagato]Yuki Nagato[/url]), and [url=http://www.anime-expo.org/?q=guests/guests_of_honor]many others[/url] will be there as well.

[spoiler]And they're doing a concert, and I'm missing the concert, and I could probbaly get autographs, I'd like an autograph, and I'd probably buy a bunch of her CDs too, and and and and... Erhem.[/spoiler]

-r2[/color]

[color=#00750]kamichamamew,

Maybe you could let us know why it was boring? Or maybe you had some insights on the show, possibly what you would do to improve it? Anything to add to the discussion.

Keep in mind that although OB wants you to have fun, we emphasize quality and content in posts. Spammy posts that don't really help out the conversation isn't much fun for anyone. :P

-r2[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I just got the big box!!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!! The artwork is simply amazing, like [B]Dagger [/B] explained - i was giddy as I sifted throught the bonus contents!

I watched the first 3 episodes dubbed with my little brothers (couldn't get to the 4th) and it's interesting... Firstly, I thought Haruhi's voice was pretty annoying. Ther were several times when I cringed at it, namely when she first said 'the SOS Brigade'. I also realised she had the same voice as Black Rose who I could never tolerate >_> Kyon's was good at times and not as good at others. I don't think he quite captured the boredness of Kyon, and I think he sounded a little too old as Kyon's voice. Still, not bad.

I didn't mind Yuki or Mikuru. Yuki's always deadpan and Mikuru's always squeaky - it matches up. I was so happy to see Tsukasa's voice actor appear since he's one of my favorites ^_^

I haven't checked out the DVD extras yet, but I'm liking the harehareyukai disk and the hair thing which i fully intend on wearing XD.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dagger][url=http://www.rightstuf.com/items/2007-06/22/large/av20852b.jpg][u]Early image of volume 3 loot[/u][/url]

People are totally going to buy this just for the pillowcase.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]oh [i]hell yes![/i] Much as I hate the high prices of much of these sepcial editions, I will gladly shell out extra to sleeo with my face in the [B]Haruhi [/B] grils XD But wait, are they planning on doing an artbox for every release?![/COLOR]

[color=#007520]You'll notice that the box in the picture Dagger posted also didn't have the same style to the art box from Volume 1. It looks more like the regular DVD case.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]I hate the high prices of much of these sepcial editions, I will ...//snip//... sleeo with my face in the [B]Haruhi [/B'] grils...[/COLOR][/quote]Normally I'm all for releasing things closer together, but considering the price they're asking (...and that I was supposed to be saving money...) I'm almost upset that the dates are so close together. Almost.

I think I'll hang that pillow case on my wall...

-r2[/color]

[color=#007520]Try [url=http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/Xsu-RCNNkYTCV7ty5q/browse/item/75090/4/0/0]this link[/url] out. You can't see it by clicking the link in Dagger's post because RightStuf doesn't let you direct link pictures. Click "Larger Images" beneath the description to see more detail.

-r2[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Danchou armband for the win!

Yes, I just got volume 2 in the mail. (Recap: The extras are the aforementioned armband, the first broadcast order disc, the Bouken Desho Desho CD, a pointy-fingered Haruhi iron-on and a pencil board with two very bouncy swimsuit pictures.)

The box is flimsy, as expected, but nevertheless quite shiny. Because of the way it's constructed, it holds together well and would actually fit in with regular artboxes on a shelf. Plus, it's the only place that SE buyers will see the regular edition cover art. Worth hanging onto.

Hm... perhaps I should celebrate the Fourth with a little Haruhi?

~Dagger~

The Haruhi boxsets are loverly. I bought them both at AX, and even though I normally would not spend so much money on two DVDs, all of the extra stuff won me over. Especially Vol. 1's amazing box. <3

Anyway, as for my impression of the English dubbing... it was sort of odd at first, but I've been turned around on it. Kyon was up and down for me; however, I really like the voice now, though there's still the odd moment where I don't think it hits the right tone. Haruhi's voice is a bit strange at first, but it's grown on me. Yuki and Mikuru both sound fine to me; as Dagger wrote, they sound very much like their characters' seiyuu. For the main characters, I'd say I enjoy Itsuki's voice the most. It's different from the Japanese version, but it still fits Itsuki's slyness where you can tell he knows much more than he's letting on. JYB also has some of my favorite individual line readings; the way he said, "Please continue, though; don't mind me," coupled with his facial expression and the way he just sat down as Kyon was fighting with Haruhi over her obsession with Mikuru's clothing had me laughing a lot.

That's another good thing about the English dubbing, actually. Now that I don't have to read subtitles anymore, I can pay much more attention to everyone's hilarious facial expressions. Kyon and Haruhi especially have some brilliant "WTF are you [i]talking[/i] about??" facial expressions.

Anyway, uh, other voices... Asakura is great, especially during her big episode. [spoiler]She's fantastic during her entire fight with Kyon; hearing someone matter-of-factly state, "I'm going to kill you" in [i]that[/i] voice is just ****ing creepy lol.[/spoiler] Tsuruya is great - I [i]love[/i] her big, loud laugh. Taniguchi and Kunikida are cool, too. I especially like Taniguchi's voice - one of the funniest random moments so far for me is hearing him [spoiler]brag about his baseball skills in the background while everyone is having a celebratory meal in the baseball episode.[/spoiler] My siblings and I also cracked up at the "For-forgot my bag" line he sung before he [spoiler]stumbled upon Yuki and Kyon in the classroom after Yuki's fight with Asakura.[/spoiler]

Lastly, I'm glad the Computer Research Society President got a good voice, too... pretty nerdish but not overdoing it. Excellent. He's my favorite random character in the series; I can't [i]wait[/i] for the episode where [spoiler]the SOS Brigade plays the Computer Research Society in a game of The Day of Sagittarius III. His death scene will be glorious.[/spoiler]

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]Desbreko[/B]
I kind of figured that Kyon telling Haruhi about the others must've had something to do with the movie they made for the school festival. It seems like Haruhi wouldn't have taken Kyon seriously, judging by her actions later in the chronological order. But isn't it just a bit too convenient for Mikuru's, Yuki's, and Itsuki's roles to match up like that?
[/QUOTE]
I dont think that this is the case since at the time that Koizumi had arrived and asked what they did as a club she told them that it was to gather time travelers, espers, and aliens and have as much fun with them as possible. She probably knows everything subconsciously I think.

Yay, second season!

Anyway, watching the series again since getting the first two Haruhi DVDs got me in the mood to see the other episodes. One random reference from Remote Island Syndrome Part II that went completely over my head before (due to not having played the game referenced until today) is when Haruhi totally turns into [spoiler]Phoenix Wright when she puts the final stamp on the mystery. Smacking her hands on the table, the blue background, THE ACCUSATORY FINGER POINT~!, and all the crazy Phoenix Wright-style camera angles were so ****ing awesome.[/spoiler] God, that had me absolutely rolling.

EDIT: [spoiler]It is also awesome that Haruhi says there can only be one solution to the case.[/spoiler]

EDIT 2: [spoiler]Hahaha, apparently Itsuki does an Edgeworth impression, as well, which makes it even more awesome.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Flagg']I dont think that this is the case since at the time that Koizumi had arrived and asked what they did as a club she told them that it was to gather time travelers, espers, and aliens and have as much fun with them as possible. She probably knows everything subconsciously I think.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Well, yeah, that was always the objective of the club. But I meant that the characters' roles in the movie matching up with what they actually are seemed a bit too convenient. Seeing as Haruhi was directing everything, if she had just picked at random it would be unlikely that the roles would match up like that, with Mikuru playing the time traveler, Yuki playing the alien, and Itsuki playing the esper.

Yes, the [spoiler]Phoenix Wright[/spoiler] reference was awesome, Shin. It took me a while to catch it as well, since the gestures and everything fit Haruhi so well that it didn't seem at all out of the ordinary. After I had finished the episode I remembered that scene and went, "Hey, wait a minute," then totally cracked up while watching it again.

Also: Needs moar season 2 info. *joins Konata in rejoicing*[/color]

If you have every watched the anime I had a question. You know in some episodes when Haruhi dosent come to the club room and the other club members go and pass the time. Usualy Nagato reads a book, Mikuru serves the other club members tea, and occasionly Kyon and Itsuki play a board game.

So my question is, What is the name of the board game that Kyon and Itsuki play?

Are you talking about the one with the black and white pieces? That's Othello. They also play something much more obscure involving cards (if I remember rightly) that's either based on a Japanese board game or an amalgamation of several of them.

By the way, I'm going to merge this with the main Haruhi thread in a sec or two. :)

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Are you talking about the one with the black and white pieces? That's Othello. They also play something much more obscure involving cards (if I remember rightly) that's either based on a Japanese board game or an amalgamation of several of them.

By the way, I'm going to merge this with the main Haruhi thread in a sec or two. :)

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Ummm actually Dagger, the game they would be playing is GO, a popular board game in Japan and Korea that involves placing black and white stones on a board and trying to make more territory than your opponent. For reference, look up the series Hikaru no Go, which is currently running in Shonen Jump. That should explain some things to you.