OtakuBoards

Silent Hill movie

Hanabishi Recca

I saw Silent Hill a couple days ago.
I was wondering if anyone else had and what they thought about the movie.
I have played all the games or at least watched them [As in brothers] play and beat it.
They don't go off easy either >.> If I watch I have to play.

But Silent Hill was a good movie to me, saying that I new somethings the trailer seemed to lead me to think that it was along the lines of the first Silent Hill game, which it isn't. I guess that is why I should't assume, yes?

But if you had seen it, what was your favorite part?
Also, what do you think about the ending?
Also, what do you think happend at the end?

Me and my family discussed this and it was a decent convo. so I desided to bring it here and see what happends.

Well, I saw the movie on Saturday, and I was rather dissapointed actually. I've seen a little bit about the games, but not that much. I only found a few good parts, and the ending could have used a little work. In general, then movie was a little to slow for me.

[quote name='Vegitto4']Well, I saw the movie on Saturday, and I was rather dissapointed actually. I've seen a little bit about the games, but not that much. I only found a few good parts, and the ending could have used a little work. In general, then movie was a little to slow for me.[/quote]

I think it is because you havn't played the games.

[Almost] Everyone I Have Heard - That Hasn't Played The Games - That Watched It, Said It Wasn't Good.

So, I guess it depends on that?
What was so bad about it that made you dissapointed?

Guest sesshisgrl01
well i havnt seen it yet but i think it will be wicked awsome form what ppl tell me and what i read :animesmil

[quote name='sesshisgrl01']well i havnt seen it yet but i think it will be wicked awsome form what ppl tell me and what i read :animesmil[/quote]

What about Vegitto? It doesn't sound like he enjoyed it.

Anyway, when are you planning of seeing it?

I think it also has some to do with what you expect of the movie [About if it is good or not]

I liked it alot. I think someone else would enjoy it :)

[SIZE=1]I never played the games, but I kinda liked it. It has to have good writing if it can make me go from mildly amused to disgusted to outright POed in the span of a few hours. I can appreciate good writing, but I wouldn't reccommend the movie for the faint of heart.

I liked the police girl. I just hated what they did to her. And I despised the crazy, witch-obsessed people. It was like the Crucible all over again, except with a lot more crack and LSD.

Still, I say it was a decent movie. You're statistics are off, Hanabishi Recca.[/SIZE]

Well i have played the games and i thought the movie was kind of crappy.

The story was all over the place , they never really decided where they were going with it. It was an action thriller for the first part then an actual horror movie. I wish they had kept more of the original story.

The acting was crappy as well, the only decent acting was from Cybil.

The effects looked too fake, not saying i could do any better but for a movie like that, thats half the reason you go.

Pyramid head (red pyramid) was never in the first one so i assume they threw him in because he is a popular character in the franshise. But if they were going to do that useing him a bit more would have been a good idea.

For a video game movie it was okay, but for a christophe Gans (brotherhood of the wolf) movie it was lacking.

The cinematography in the beginning of the movie was gorgeous, the color and framing was simply gorgeous. Even in the town it was nice.

The end credits were cool, i like how they used the music from the third game for it. I kind of wish they had used Room of Angel from silent hill 4. I think that would have been absolutely perfect for the credits.

It would have fit perfectly with the ending.

I'm a big fan of the video game series and I wasn't too terribly dissappointed in the movie. Mind you, there was plenty of room for improvement, and I would have like to see them remain a little more faithful to the original story, but hell, it was better then most other video game/Movie adaptaions. That's right I'm looking at you Resident Evil.

The monsters may have seemed a little off, but lets face it, for fans of the games, we all know how screwed p the monsters in the games are anyway. There were even a few I recognized from the games, which was kinda cool to see. I liked the fact that they didn't leave a gap at the end, as if to try to lead onto a sequel.

The story was pretty sparce and kinda jumped around every few seconds, but the video games aren't a whole lot better. There pretty jumpy sometimes too and can also lack in the plot department.

Overall, for a video game adaptation, this is one of the better ones by far. If they can make a Resident Evil sequel, then there's no reason Silent Hill shouldn't end up with one of it's own. There are so many faces to that damn town, they could make a whole saga about it.

[QUOTE=Stark][SIZE=1]
Still, I say it was a decent movie. You're statistics are off, Hanabishi Recca.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Well, thanks for your input.
Take another look at my post. It says [QUOTE][Almost] Everyone I Have Heard - That Hasn't Played The Games - That Watched It, Said It Wasn't Good.[/QUOTE]
Once again, thanks for your input.

[quote name='starwind]I'm a big fan of the video game series and I wasn't too terribly dissappointed in the movie. Mind you, there was plenty of room for improvement, and[B] I would have like to see them remain a little more faithful to the original story[/B], but hell, it was better then most other video game/Movie adaptaions. [U']That's right I'm looking at you Resident Evil.[/U][/quote]

[B]Why would you want them to stay to the original story? Then it would have been obvious where they were going with the story or atleast for the people who have played the games. I liked how they did it, making it different yet the same.[/B]

[U]*Tries not to laugh*[/U]

Thanks for your time and posting-s!

David

[quote name='Starwind']...I would have like to see them remain a little more faithful to the original story...[/quote]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]In a way, they did. I mean, the game series' story line consists of a main plot and several 'subplots', if you will, and this movie could be considered as another subplot for the Silent Hill series. Do you see where I'm coming from?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Starwind']The story was pretty sparce and kinda jumped around every few seconds, but the video games aren't a whole lot better. There pretty jumpy sometimes too and can also lack in the plot department.[/quote]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]...how do the games lack in the 'plot department'? The Silent Hill series has one of the most twisted, dark, and intricate plots of any game I have ever seen. The main plot revolves around the 'salvation' of the world by complete reconstruction (the killing/mutilating/etc.), and, as I mentioned above, it has several subplots which could be considered each individual's 'personal hell', if you ever noticed it. So, all in all, it has one of the most abstract, yet most deep storylines that has ever been in a game. My kudos to Konami.

Sorry if I sounded rude, but I just had to take a stand for this game.

P.S. The movie was the best videogame-movie adaptation I have ever seen. It has earned its place among my favorite movies.

Later.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Derald][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]In a way, they did. I mean, the game series' story line consists of a main plot and several 'subplots', if you will, and this movie could be considered as another subplot for the Silent Hill series. Do you see where I'm coming from?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]...how do the games lack in the 'plot department'? The Silent Hill series has one of the most twisted, dark, and intricate plots of any game I have ever seen. The main plot revolves around the 'salvation' of the world by complete reconstruction (the killing/mutilating/etc.), and, as I mentioned above, it has several subplots which could be considered each individual's 'personal hell', if you ever noticed it. So, all in all, it has one of the most abstract, yet most deep storylines that has ever been in a game. My kudos to Konami.

Sorry if I sounded rude, but I just had to take a stand for this game.

P.S. The movie was the best videogame-movie adaptation I have ever seen. It has earned its place among my favorite movies.

Later.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You weren't mean. I acually want to thank you for taking a stand on what you think/ thought about the movie.

So, Arigato Derald.

Also, I would agree that it ws the best videogame-movie I have ever seen. It has also earned a place in my favorite movie spot. I havn't really seen that many. But either way, SH is up there.

I think that SH was a great movie no matter what other people say/ said.
For the reason that SH was suppose to be freaky. It did what I wanted it to do. I heard that alot of people went to see it. Even though the last adaptation from game-move was sucky.

[size=1]I went and saw the movie on Monday. While it wasn't the scariest movie of all time alot of people are failing to realize that it wasn't aimed at being frightful. The whole idea of scaring you is sort of over rated. It should be natural. By adding aditional plot points simply aimed at making you jump seems like a waste because it hurts the storyline.

I loved the movie though. It was probably the music that was big for me because they kept to the Silent Hill theme using songs from the games to keep the effect.
As for the plot, it may not be completly accurate concerning the original plot of the first game it still exceeds my expectations.

[spoiler]My favorite part in the movie was when Pyramid Head ripped the chicks skin off in front of the church. I nearly crapped myself right then and there because it was so intense.[/spoiler]

So yeah. If I had been asked to rate the movie on a scale of 1 to 10 I would've awarded it a 9 for succeeding where other game movies have all failed.[/size]

[quote name='Box Hoy][size=1][spoiler]My favorite part in the movie was when Pyramid Head ripped the chicks skin off in front of the church. I nearly crapped myself right then and there because it was so intense.[/spoiler'][/size][/quote]

[spoiler]Is the only reason you say that is because of the nudity?[/spoiler]

That is what my brother said about my dad.
That was very intense. I must agree.

[spoiler]I loved pyramid head. He is like the man with the great physic! I think that pyramid head made the movie better. Even though he only showed up in 2 places.[/spoiler]

But also about the movie, I am still trying to comprehend some of the things.
Like in SH2 ever monster had a meaning. So, I am assuming that it isn't like that for the reason that they just took the enimies from the games. But what do you people think about that?

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I would have to say.. That was a good movie, I have played the games they were fun games.. confusing at times hehe.. The creator of the games for silent hill made the movie you know.. He intended it to not be about any of the games he wanted to throw a couple of creatures from the games into the movie hes also intending on making that movie into a game version I hear..[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='vegeta rocker']What do you mean the creator of the games made the movie?[/quote]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]I believe he meant that the games' music director, Akira Yamaoka, made the music for the movie. That would indeed be correct.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]That movie was, in one word, amazing. I loved it, and the fact that they used creature suits as opposed to CG is awesome. I want to see more of that in the future.

Anyways, I just about broke my boyfriend's hand watching SH...

[spoiler]And when Colin (the janitor) walks out of the bathroom stall, I was seriously [I]that[/I] close to having a panic attack.[/spoiler]

I personally, loved and hated the ending. The plot resolution was fantastic, but the cliffhanger ending was rather...aggravating. I know they left it open for a sequel, but really, can't they just have a happy ending? Yeah, I know, no one ever gets a happy ending in SH games, I played SH2 and 4 (Haven't finished it yet, though.).

Final thoughts? I would recommend anyone who's played the games to watch the movie, 'cause I agree with Hanabishi Recca on his belief that non-players generally don't like/understand the movie.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Zhara][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]That movie was, in one word, amazing. I loved it, and the fact that they used creature suits as opposed to CG is awesome. I want to see more of that in the future.

Anyways, I just about broke my boyfriend's hand watching SH...

[spoiler]And when Colin (the janitor) walks out of the bathroom stall, I was seriously [I]that[/I] close to having a panic attack.[/spoiler]

I personally, loved and hated the ending. The plot resolution was fantastic, but the cliffhanger ending was rather...aggravating. I know they left it open for a sequel, but really, can't they just have a happy ending? Yeah, I know, no one ever gets a happy ending in SH games, I played SH2 and 4 (Haven't finished it yet, though.).

Final thoughts? I would recommend anyone who's played the games to watch the movie, 'cause I agree with Hanabishi Recca on his belief that non-players generally don't like/understand the movie.[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for the comment ;)

[COLOR=Black]The part with collins was preatty creppy. But don't you think he derserved it? Stupid men being mean to little - little mind you- children. Grr, he looked the most... whats the word... yeah nasty.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Black]But 'she' did say that everyone would get their punishment. I think the women at the last got the worst... Owww[/COLOR]

Thanks all you who posted in this thread.
Also, thanks for your time,

David

[size=1][color=slategray]I saw it about two weeks ago with a friend. I wasn't sure what to expect, because I have never played any of the games. But I was actually surprised at how well it turned out. I've never really liked video game-based movies.

It was well-written and executed brilliantly. It was delightfully disturbing. Sure, there were some "jumpy" and confusing parts for me, but it didn't shake me from liking it. And the music? I almost died because I loved it so much.

I liked how Rose went from being a normal, slightly over-protective mom, to being a kick-*** weirdo. Lol. And I HAVE to say, Laurie Holden (Officer Bennett) was looking good. The short hair and cop outfit totally works for her. [spoiler]I started freaking out when they burned her.[/spoiler] Evil.
And when I saw that church full of people, with that Christabella (I think) lady... I was like... "CULT!!!" My friend had to hit me to make me shut up. XD

All in all, it was a good night out. Probably not a movie I'd add to my personal collection, but something I wouldn't mind seeing again. Definitely the best video game-based movie I've seen.[/color][/size]

i don't know if it was the best video game movie adaptation but it was a decent movie.

I just wish the plot actually went together and Pyramid Head had a role that was more than him just popping in for gore.

Everything in the games was symbolic and the movie definetly lacked that. It was like a giant tease. The one monster Cybill shot in the street was cool but i wish you could have seen them try and escape them.

I guess i wanted to be more survival based; not a big run around that decides to turn into a horror film in the last twenty minutes.

[quote name='Zhara][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I personally, loved and hated the ending. The plot resolution was fantastic, but the cliffhanger ending was rather...aggravating. I know they left it open for a sequel, but really, can't they just have a happy ending?[/FONT'][/SIZE][/quote]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]The way I know Silent Hill, I assume they will have at least one alternate ending when the DVD is released (or at least I hope so).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]