OtakuBoards

What quote do you live by?

PaganAngel

its a bit long,
but its what i live by.
(yeah, its the theme from fruits basket)
"FOR FRUITS BASKET"
I was so happy, you were laughing
With a smile that melts everything away
Spring is still far away, inside the cold earth,
Waiting for the time to sprout
For instance, even if today is painful
And yesterday's wounds remain
I want to believe that I can free my heart and go on
I cannot be reborn
But I can change as I go on, so
Let's stay together always
Smile only at me and touch me with those fingers
This simple desire is everlasting
I want things to be simple
Let's finally get across this sea of mournful sorrow
Someday it will become a warm memory
If you leave everything up to your heart
I understand the meaning our living here
It is to know the joy of having been born
Someday it will become a warm memory
If you leave everything up to your heart
I understand the meaning our living here
It is to know the joy of having been born

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually live by three now, all from a very awesome rock opera by the late John Larson, [b][u]RENT[/u][/b]:

1. "Forget Regret or Life is Yours to Miss."
2. "No day but today"
3. (this one holds me back though) "will I lose my dignity / will someone care / Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare"

These hit me very hard when I first heard them because I was in a situation where I needed to forget what has happened in the past and move on, that day, or my life was going to be a living hell from then on. It was as if John Larson was going through one of the same things I was (lost a friend to AIDS), and I had to let that go and move on, because I had #3 as my state of mind for anything I did.

Now everything is all better. ^^;

Guest ZelldaKimiTensh
Eleanor Roosevelt

Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
---------------------------------------------------
be you thats all you can be

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][quote name='Raiyuu][FONT=Trebuchet MS']This thread is going downhill! Please, explain what each quote means to you, otherwise we end up with every post just being a list of quotes and no insight. You supposedly live by these quotes, so you must be able to tell us something about them, right?[/FONT][/quote]Just a reminder since it seems Raiyuu's warning about explaining why you live by a certain quote has been forgotten. Please be sure to take the time to explain why the quote you listed is important to you. [/COLOR]

Guest ElySioN
[FONT=CourierNew][SIZE=1]Greetings, every one. My name is [B]ElySioN[/B], but my real name is [B]James[/B] and I am pleased to have become a part of the [B]OtakuBoards.[/B]

As far as it goes with a quote I live by, I'd have to choose lyrics from a song by [B]John Mayer,[/B] [I]"No Such Thing"[/I]:

[I]"Welcome to the real world", she said to me
Condescendingly
Take a seat
Take your life
Plot it out in black and white
Well I never lived the dreams of the prom kings
And the drama queens
I'd like to think the best of me
Is still hiding
Up my sleeve

They love to tell you
Stay inside the lines
But something's better
On the other side...[/I]

Now that I am at that age where I am technically considered an adult (though I guess I was mature for my age before-hand), I am beginning my life and pursuing my dreams rather than worry so much about how long it will take before I am six feet deep or if I'll ever make it somewhere, period. I used to be a very depressed individual during my preteen years, being the one that was verbally abused by classmates and the like...an example would be stating that I looked like the Artist known as [B]Prince,[/B] as funny as that may sound. Feeling melancholy, I was driven to simply waste away and decompose, not in the right mind state to fight it, growing a dislike for life because of its tribulations that it hurled at me like a barrage of boulders, far too heavy for these little shoulders to hold up.

I was never a prom king or any of that sort; never won any words, kind of an outcast of society. Blooming late at the end of my Senior year in High School, I managed to adapt a sense of self-discovery and recognition when introduced to this song. I had to look at myself in the mirror and discover me for not what others saw me as, but who I saw myself as, and if I wanted to exceed the low expectations that people thought I could only reach. [/Font] [/SIZE]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1] [COLOR=Sienna] [B]ElySioN[/B] your qoute is very good one to live by. It gives encouragment, letting you know to never give up and that it's your time to shine. You don't have to be a [B]prom king[/B], [I]beloved jock[/I], [B]class clown[/B], ectera to be liked. I am glad to hear that you have abided by that qoute, because our group (Heero, Jessica, ectera) got to see the real you and we love you for that.

[CENTER]'No two people are the same, that makes you a complete individual; your own feelings, opinions and something that you can give to the world that no one else can.

[I]Cherish that[/I]'[/CENTER]

This by far is one of my favorite qoutes I live by till this day. I had come across this qoute by searching in a poetry section in some site and it...how should I say,[I]'It reached out to me?'[/I]. Now to me this qoute talks about how no person is alike. We have our own mind and [B]we[/B] should use it. Individuality is what makes us, us; while some people who don't see that tend to follow others. We have to ability to make our own decisions, to show our own feelings and speak our mind (As stated in above qoute).

I've always known to be me and only me, but the question was [I]'Can I be me?'[/I]. I've always had a facade on when I went to school, due to the fact that I didn't want anyone to know the real me. I had a hard life (I'm sure I'm not the only one of course) and I didnt want to bring that negativity to school. So I would always put up a smile and adjust myself to the enviroment. I'll admit, it did kill me inside; Yes, being pessimistic isn't such a favorable qaulity in someone, but at times it's good to let it out. Reason being, people do care who you are and would like to listen and help out.

This is basically only an example of the qoute which I live by, so of course there are other examples (Which I won't state...the reader should have a clear understanding by now). Overall, this qoute should be on everyones list of qoutes to live by. It's a good reminder that [B]you[/B] are [B]you[/B] and [I]you[/I] should cherish that always.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Id rather be hated for who I am that loved from what Im not.

the quote itself is pretty much explanatory.
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][INDENT][B]GentatsuSgirl[/B] please improve your post quality. Although you explained what the quote means you didn?t take the time to explain why you live by it. ~SunfallE[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest ElySioN
[QUOTE=Dream][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]

[CENTER]'No two people are the same, that makes you a complete individual; your own feelings, opinions and something that you can give to the world that no one else can. "

[I]Cherish that[/I]'[/CENTER]

[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial Narrow]Very true, [B]Dream.[/B] In the end it is all about finding your identity and being happy with it basically. Many people go through that phase where they try to mimic other people or try to fit in by involving themselves in situations where they would most likely not be in, allowing the peer pressure of being "cool" to subconsciously limit their choices and then coerce themselves into smoking or consumption of alcohol, for instance.

Now the thing that annoys me is that other people will look at you and the things you do and call you crazy because of it! For instance, my sister calls me crazy because I listen to Alternative & Rock. Now, I have a vast taste in music and for the most part, I really can not discriminate on other genre's of music because I've never listened diligently to them, or because I have only listened to one musical artist and I would rather not bias the whole genre itself on a single artist. It is an arduous task trying to be myself, dress all street-like, fitted hat on, Nike Air Force ones on my feet, and at the same time Jam to [B]System of a Down[/B] and [B]The Mars Volta[/B] without having some one look at me like "What the heck?". I suppose a part of individuality also includes the quality of being [U]ignorant. [/U][/FONT]

"If you are against abortion, don't get an abortion"

I think it sends a clear message: intrusion sucks!
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][INDENT][B]Charon[/B] please improve your post quality. Although you explained what the quote means you didn?t take the time to explain why you live by it. ~SunfallE[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]"What I do is so this world will know that it will not change me."[/B]
[U]"As long as one heart still holds on, then hope is never really gone."[/U]
song lyrics by Garth Brooks...
"So may the words I say/And the things I do/May my lifesong sing/Bring a smile to You./Let my lifesong sing to you. X3/I wanna sig[h] Your name at the end of this day/Knowing that my heart was true./Let my lifesong sing to you."
lyric by Casting Crowns
I thought I already posted this, but I couldn't find it... sorry if I did.

[COLOR=Sienna][B]"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"[/B] - Douglas Adams

This pretty much sums up my view on religion, and doesn't need a whole lot of explanation. Just because the world is beautiful and improbable does not indicate divine intervention.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=wolf Toboe]"Bite my lip and close my eyes...take me away to Paradise!"
I live by this quote because it makes me feel happy. It reminds me that things will get better, somehow. It gives me hope.[/QUOTE]

You realize that song and particularly that line are about masturbation, right?

Also Cygy, love your quote.

And what if it is? wolf Toboe may just be [i]very[/i] comfortable with him/herself. I mean, he or she did say it makes them happy. Now, this way of acchieving happiness is quite debatable.
But this is a just thought.

hnn.. quotes to live by-- i go by a few =\

"Stop telling me an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind, a blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind!!" - Cirdan de Rais Salanoche

sometimes if we're blind we don't take things at face value and judge needlessly- instead it would take more time to get to know something more-- i dunno- sometimes vengence is good as well? its a vague thing- i just like it.
----
"Welcome to L.A...now get out of here!"- Xaphan
the moment i moved to LA- he says that and BANG shootout
i remember that quote because it gave me a heads up- about ALL towns.- not so much the quote itself- just the reality of it
---
" Hey, we'd all like a machine gun but sometimes a rusty knife will do." - Nathan Ataria
this one- just make do with what you got, if not- impervise!

Guest Killer.Shinobu
Well,My qoute I live by would have to be "Be Yourself" I mean you only live once and so listen to the music you want to do your own little thing dont let someone bring you down becuz they dont like who or what you are.

[color=royalblue][size=1]I tend to have my "quote-of-the-moment" quotes, as opposed to just one. It's 'cause I like change way too much.

My personal favorite for right now comes from my friend Liz...It was the morning study period, and me and my friends were up in the music room, as usual. My other friend Aaron was talking about how he had taken an IQ quiz online, gave up halfway through, and had a really horrible grade.

[b]"That's what you get for quitting halfway through, Aaron. You get to be 18 points above a retard."[/b]

(And I say this with no offense to anybody. He was classified as 18 points above being mentally retarded.)

And even though it's "hahaha, funny", I actually got a deep meaning from it when I sat down and thought about it.

It's just one of those things where, I can't give up at any point during the journey, no matter how much I want to. I can't slack off or procrastinate. If I do, I'll receive an ending like that, where my true talents are nowhere near justified in the end product, and that therefore tarnishes my reputation. (Reputation? What reputation?)

I wish I had a more, uh, fanciful quote, but alas, no. X3[/size][/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Verdana]i don't really have a quote to live by, but i do have a few favorites. there's the quotes in my sig, and this one: "Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired."[/FONT][/COLOR]

"you have the power to make a difference, so why don't you put it to good use?" a quote from Mwu La Fllaga (gundam seed)

great quote, from one of gundam's greatest characters( at least that's what i think)

so i try to do things as long as i can....

• 2 weeks later...
Sojiro47 here! I was wandering around, looking at peoples signatures, when I noticed a quote! Then I started to wonder, "I wonder what everyone's favorite quote is!" So I decided to ask. So here it is! What are some of your favorite quotes, and why?

Well, I have two! The first one is the one in my signature! It says, "In the end, we won't remember the words of our enimies, but silence of our friends!" This one actually means something to me, as I have been in a place where I was under attack, but my friends didn't help. Ok, so not words, but actions! But it still applies!

This next one also hold's a place in my heart as it was some friends who said it! The quote is really a two liner between Number X and Number XV about me, Number VII! We were playing some game against a team called the Bugs! Anyway, so all my team mates are dead minus myself, and their screens showed me as a Red dot, and the Bugs as yellow dots! Here's the quote!
XV:"X, what can we do?
X: "What can we do? All we can do is pray to God that VII kills all the Bugs before the yellow dots are all thats left!"

It's funny to me so don't kill me!
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][INDENT]Sojiro47, When creating a thread, it is a good idea to check the first page or two to see if a thread already exists on the topic you wish to discuss. Since this thread and your quote thread are virtually identical I have merged them together. ~SunfallE[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Well a funny thing I thought of the other night was: "Cats have nine lives for a reason, right?" and another part of me said "Yeah, one life for skydiving, one life for bungee jumping with the cord, one life for teasing dogs, one life for bungee jumping without the cord..."

Sorry if that has no relevance to the thread but I thought this was the best place to share it. My motto is constantly changing, but the one I'm on is "To live an anime life" because you know how they're always getting the person they like? Well, there you go. And they always get in trouble and have an exciting life... the only problem with that is that I'd only want trouble when I'm bored. But oh well. "You take what life gives you, and one really should try to make the best of it."

And finally, my last one is "Goals are not something to wait for, they are something to work for."

I live by two simple quotes that have gotten me through a lot of heartache and pain:

1: Everything happens for a reason.

2: Play the cards that were dealt to you.

I hope that someone can use these quotes to ensure a better, more positive life as it did myself.