OtakuBoards

Genshiken???

Guest Ver2.0

Guest Ver2.0
Last nigh at a Books A Million I was browsing the manga and found Genshiken (I think that was it) about an otaku style club in a high school. I normally just skim through manga to see if they're worth buying, but when I picked this up I read the whole first volume standing in the same spot. So I was wondering if anyone else had read or seen this manga?

[quote name='Ver2.0']Last nigh at a Books A Million I was browsing the manga and found Genshiken (I think that was it) about an otaku style club in a high school. I normally just skim through manga to see if they're worth buying, but when I picked this up I read the whole first volume standing in the same spot. So I was wondering if anyone else had read or seen this manga?[/quote]

its a fighting manga isnt it? yea, i heard of it.............ok

[color=darkblue][size=1]This may be a long-shot, but I think Takanutsu was thinking about [i][b]Suikoden[/b][/i]. Like I said, a long-shot, but I've made similar mistakes in the past. ^^;

Anyway, about Genishiken, I've read the first volume and it was slightly interesting. The plot doesn't go as fast as I like (and at the moment it doesn't seem all that spectacular), but the artwork is nice at times.

So, to sum things up, not my favorite, but I'd read it if there was nothing else around.[/color][/size]

Guest Ver2.0
Yea that's it. The first volume was good but it did move a little slow but I'll check out volume two next time I'm there and see if it's worth buying:)

I'm very interested in this Manga, and I'm thinking of buying a couple volumes of it at the next convention I go to.

Genshiken is a slice of life Manga with no "real" plot. Like all slife-of-life series, the story comes from the characters' interactions with each other and their daily lives. The art is supposed to be very detailed, as well as realistic. The Japanese people have small, black eyes and black hair, and realistic proportions. There do exist people with blonde hair, but that's because they bleached it.

Anime News Network said this was [i]the[/i] Manga to get this quarter giving it an A for art, an A for story, and an A+ overall. In fact, the main negative comment they gave was that the [i]extras[/i] were not on par with the rest of the volume.

-r2

• 1 year later...
[COLOR=DarkOrange]Okay! I don't know why it's a week later when I post this, and this thread is extremely old, but that's where the directory came in, so I guess it's okay. I bought volume one of this last Sunday and I have to say... I love it!

First of all, as a huge otaku, it's only natural I can relate to this. It was perfect timing, too, because many of these things I learned about recently, and so it's like i'm exactly at pace with the manga.

The most important thing for me in any series is the characters, and this manga has some amazing ones! They act like true otaku, only without being incessently bitchy, and that's cool to see. Kanji-kun is cool because he remids me of my brother - unable to fully accept the things he enjoys - and in some ways like myself before just a while ago.

Kousaka is the best, lol. He's so increadibly hardcore and so innocent-minded that you can't help but wish him the best. [strike]Not to mention the GAR-factor.[/strike]

Madarame has to be the one I relate to most, though. He shares my methodology in obsession - my need to defend my beliefs with long, dramatic speeches full of eccentricity - and my utter nerdiness. Tanaka is great to if for no reason than that he's just really fun.

Saki-chan gives a good variety to the group. She isn't a total tsundere like I expected, which is great because I hate them >_< but she's still brutally honest and hilariously deperate for Kousaka-kun. I would say more about Ohno, but I'd like to see more of her first.

The artwork in this series is great. My favorite part being when they enter the doujin shop. The extrme detail was nice (yes... niiiiiiiice). Also, I loved this so much I managed to read it 3 times in under a week![/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
Guest iustam
hello this is my first posting anything and i'm a little shy
but i like that manga and i read it before.
my favorite person is and i can probly relate to him the most is kanji.

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="2"]I really enjoy this series in both the Manga and the Anime. Sadly though the anime stops at in the middle. Genshiken has a deverse characters that is easy to relate to (I have taken a bit of a liking to Ohno and Tanaka, probably because they are alot of the same characteristics as me.) The comedy is low key but funny if you look at life with a light-hearted perspective. Humans are just to funny to not laugh at our own stupidity. Although, I could have sworn that the characters are in college from the way they talk about jobs and Ohno's coming into the picture. [/SIZE]

• 4 months later...