OtakuBoards

I

Guest Pixie_rich

Guest Pixie_rich
Ive just came back from my fifth trip to the doctors/hospital in the last month and I've been told that I am HIV positive. My life feels like its ending :( please be safe, I'm going to watch some anime to take my mind off this horrible news I wish it would go away :animedepr

[quote name='Pixie_rich']Ive just came back from my fifth trip to the doctors/hospital in the last month and I've been told that I am HIV positive. My life feels like its ending :( please be safe, I'm going to watch some anime to take my mind off this horrible news I wish it would go away :animedepr[/quote]

Wow, thats horrible.

Is it HIV-1 or HIV-2?

[quote name='Tical']Holy **** dude, are you serious? Do you know how much it's progressed or anything? Quick, do everything you've ever wanted to do! This is no time to sit around watching anime![/quote]

Haha, I guess he wants to watch anime until he dies ;)

Really man, make a list of what you want to do and take action!!!

Guest Prick Wizard
I'm so sorry to hear that - still, at least it's not deadly.

Can I just make a request right now, for everyone to make a conscious effort and channel all of our magic wands/enchanted thermometers in the direction of pixie rich. He needs all the extra medical attention he can get right now.

[QUOTE=Prick Wizard]I'm so sorry to hear that - still, at least it's not deadly.

Can I just make a request right now, for everyone to make a conscious effort and channel all of our magic wands/enchanted thermometers in the direction of pixie rich. He needs all the extra medical attention he can get right now.[/QUOTE]

:)
Alright, Pixie Rich will be in my prayers.

I am pretty ignorant... HIV isn't deadly???

Guest Stafal-chan
^_^ awww...good luck ^_^ ...that really stinks ^_^ well...have fun watching anime ^_^ ...try getting out and doing lotsa stuff as well ^_^ it might help get your mind off things ^_^ i'm not really sure how serious HIV is but ^_^ i hope you get better ^_^

[quote name='Stafal-chan']^_^ awww...good luck ^_^ ...that really stinks ^_^ well...have fun watching anime ^_^ ...try getting out and doing lotsa stuff as well ^_^ it might help get your mind off things ^_^ i'm not really sure how serious HIV is but ^_^ i hope you get better ^_^[/quote]

you can't be serious. *goes in ranting about American ignorance*

HIV can lead to AIDS. AIDS is one of the 5 leading causes of DEATH in the world.

[quote name='DeathKnight][color=crimson']Cynically speaking, this opening post of this topic is probably pure ********. You know that, right? lol.[/color][/quote]

I hold it within my heart to trust anyone unless proven untrustworthy. Maybe I'm stupid, but how would I feel if he really DID have HIV and I said he was ********?

Guest Stafal-chan
[QUOTE=Tical]you can't be serious. *goes in ranting about American ignorance*

HIV can lead to AIDS. AIDS is one of the 5 leading causes of DEATH in the world.[/QUOTE]

hee hee yup sry :animeswea ...guess i am a rather ignorant american :animeswea jeez..no harm in trying to be somewhat positive either though...i wasn't sure what to put either....

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]Pixie_rich, although this is serious, this is not the end of your life. Simply because you have acquired HIV does not mean you should give up on your life and wallow in self-pity. As some before me, I say you need to take a hold on your life and live out your dreams. Regardless of whether or not you have HIV, your dreams will still be there, waiting for you to grasp them, and when you do, it will be as if you lived a normal, full life, without regrets, and you will be happy.

Do not give up hope. Joy awaits everyone who is willing to seek it. Just don't be the one who decides their life is worthless, it never is.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

sorry to hear it mate. but we all gotta go sometime i guess.

last week i was playing with my left ball, you know, as you do, and i got really worried as there was a large lump to the right of it! after a couple of minutes panic thinking i had cancer in my coinpurse, i realised that it would all be ok, the large lump to the right of my left ball, WAS infact just my right testicle. phew, what a day that was!

anyway hope you get better and all that.

[quote name='Tical']I hold it within my heart to trust anyone unless proven untrustworthy.[/quote]

[color=crimson]Fair enough.[/color]

[quote name='Tical']Maybe I'm stupid (...)[/quote]

[color=crimson]Don't misunderstand. I don't think you're stupid. Too trusting, perhaps.[/color]

[quote name='Pixie_rich']i CANNOT BELIEVE YOU THINK I WOULD LIE ABOUT THIS YOU HEARTLESS ******!!!!!![/quote]

[color=crimson]Oh?[/color]

[SIZE=1] :animestun Some of these responces are just....

I have no adjectives, so I'll just get right to the point.

Derald said it best; don't give up just yet. Just because you've been diagnosed with a terrible disease does not mean that you're going to die tomorrow. You still have time. I'm not going to spout anything about how sorry I am, or about pursuing your dreams, yadda yadda. I'll just say this: you have time, make use of it. Do what you want. Do what makes you happy.

In a way, consider yourself lucky. You have something that few people have, and that is the knowledge of how precious life really is. Don't let that go to waste.[/SIZE]

This is a very serious subject. Lets not dissolve into a large argument over truth telling. We have no right to pass any Judgements. Hopefully that will be the end of that.

Im really sorry to hear that happened. Im not going to say anything like "its not the end of your life" because, whilst it may be true, I really have no Idea what your going through. I will Keep you in my thoughts. However, It should be noted that not all sufferers of HIV develop AIDS. Also, After studying Antiretroviral drugs (one of the treatments for HIV) I found the following information:

[QUOTE]A combination of several antiretroviral agents, termed Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy HAART, has been highly effective in reducing the number of HIV particles in the blood stream (as measured by a blood test called the viral load). This can improve T-cell counts. This is not a cure for HIV, and people on HAART with suppressed levels of HIV can still transmit the virus to others through sex or sharing of needles. There is good evidence that if the levels of HIV remain suppressed and the CD4 count remains greater than 200, then the quality and length of life can be significantly improved and prolonged.[/QUOTE]

This at the very least shows that HIV patients can still live a long life. However, a point I must stress is that you must be careful with regard to sexual partners as here is always the chance that you will spread the disease to them.

I hope this is of some use to you. I am really sorry about whats happened and I hope things improve for you.

Also, I believe that Starks post (above) is very good advice.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]My heart goes out to you and i wish you the best for the time that you remaining in this life. My advice to you is to settle any unfinished business you might have and just try to live out the rest of your life the best way you know how. And maybe go to Disney World for the heck of it. ^L^

Later.[/COLOR] [/FONT]

[COLOR=Sienna]I'm curious; didn't you learn anything in biology class or sex ed or anything? I mean, ask your partner or use a condom or, as the case may be, don't use dirty needles!

I'm really sorry for you but seriously, this is the kind of thing that happens when your not responsible for your love life.

Anyways, y'know, just because you have HIV doesn't mean your life is over. Obviously you'll have to change your lifestyle but it's not over yet. In the mean time, do what makes you happy and try not to think about it... I know it's not easy but... might as well try.[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=slategray]Well, at least you got tested. Most people don't even do that.

In all honesty, however, don't go around treating yourself like you are going to drop dead at any moment. Many people live with HIV, and they continue to live as long as it doesn't develope into something serious. Besides, look at the positives, now that you know you are in contact with HIV, you won't go spreading it to others (unless you are just plain spiteful... which is... rude) without knowing, etc. Plus, you can be treated. They may not have found the cure, but there is still something doctors can do for you to lessen the blow.

All we can really do for you is hope it doesn't develope into something serious, such as AIDS. Continue to live, maybe do some things you always wanted to do. Go on vacation. Calm down.

That's all the advice I can give. Best of luck to you.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]First of all [B]Helmet_Hunter[/B] and [B]Pixie_rich[/B] I?ve removed your posts where you were yelling at other members. I do not want to see this thread degenerate into a pointless back and forth bickering contest. If you really feel that another member is out of line, use the report bad post button in the top right hand corner of the post in question.

[B]On Topic:[/B]The problem with getting upset over being diagnosed with HIV is that the issues surrounding it have changed dramatically over the past couple of decades. So it?s not a simple cut and dried incident of HIV means death within a very short time.

This quote by Laurence Peiperl, MD on HIV InSite will explain it much better than I can:

[INDENT][COLOR=Navy]What is the life expectancy of someone with HIV? We don't know exactly, but we know it depends on many factors. In poor countries where people don't have access to HIV treatments, AIDS has cut the life expectancy of entire populations almost by half. Rich countries have begun to mobilize money and efforts to start treating people in those areas, but we have a long way to go.
In the early days of the epidemic in the United States, the answer to your question would have been simple and hard to take: before we had good HIV treatments, people with HIV could expect to become ill with AIDS within about 10 years after becoming infected, and then lived only 1-2 years on average after being diagnosed with AIDS.

Now that good HIV treatments are available (at least to those who can afford them, or qualify for insurance, or live in places where government-sponsored treatment programs haven't been cut) those who take the medicines as prescribed tend to do very well. We also have better blood tests to help decide who should start treatment, to monitor how well treatment is working against the virus, and to help choose a new treatment if an old one stops working. So the good news is that we can't tell exactly what the life expectancy is for a person with HIV, because the medications and tests have only been around for 10 years or less, and people are living longer than that.

What we are starting to see is that deaths among people with HIV are now caused more and more by things like injuries and heart attacks, rather than by AIDS. Heart disease may be related to HIV or its treatments, but it seems that if people have their cholesterol monitored and take medication to lower it as needed, stop smoking, and take care of other risk factors like high blood pressure, the risk of heart attack should be greatly reduced. Liver disease seems to be particularly a problem in people who have both hepatitis C and HIV, and those people should receive specialized medical care and possibly treatment for hepatitis C. But overall in the United States and Canada, it looks as though people with HIV are living long enough to die from causes other than AIDS.

Unfortunately, some people use this good news to justify not protecting themselves or their partners from HIV infection. So we should keep in mind some other possibilities: that, as the years go by, we will start to see long-term effects of HIV infection that we don't yet know about, or HIV treatments may lose their effectiveness, or the treatments themselves will have long-term side effects. It's also important to remember that some people can't take the medications because of side effects or other health problems, and untreated HIV infection remains a deadly disease. We need to remain watchful and keep supporting public health, treatment, and research programs to keep HIV under control, and deal with whatever comes up in the long term. But with proper medical care, life expectancy with HIV is much, much longer than it was 10 years ago.[/COLOR][/INDENT]

Another thing to keep in mind is that individuals infected with HIV would live for an average of nine years before contracting AIDS. But the average length of time between an HIV diagnosis and contracting AIDS has now increased to 11 years by 2000.

The average person use to live for only 18 months after being diagnosed with full-blown AIDS. Now individuals living with AIDS can expect to live for an average of more than six years if they adhere to their drug treatment.

The whole point I am making is that continued research could extend your lifespan even more. So though it may seem bleak and depressing there is still the possibility that a cure will be found before the disease runs it?s course. I suggest that you do some research on your disease and find out what resources and support groups are available to you. Best of luck to you. [/COLOR]

Guest Pixie_rich
Well it was hard getting to sleep last night but I've been thinking it over and I know im still depressed but Im trying my hardest not to think about it. Thanks for all the support guys :) you really make me feel better about the situation! Im not going down without a fight and the bells been sounded round one is on *ding ding* <_< sorry for shouting before I dont usually use caps lock but I felt it nessecary. Thanks again for the support I love you guys like Ash loves Pikachu!