OtakuBoards

Filler episodes

Guest Snouman88

Guest Snouman88
Because anime episodes are quicker to produce than manga, the manga based anime series will eventually catch the original manga. To prevent animators and anime fans from getting bored, filler episodes are made. Filler episodes don't influence the main story in any way and they can be skipped without missing anything important.

The sad fact is that quite often the filler episodes aren't as well made as normal episodes. A long filler episode chain can contain many small "side storys", which are 1-3 episodes long. All the new characters which appear in filler episodes are newer shown again. By putting it short: the mini storys are usually not as fun and addictive than the main story.

So to the question. Do you like watching filler episodes? Do you think them as a refreshing brakes between the parts of main story? Or do you think that filler episodes are pure crap? All opinions are welcome :animesmil

I think fillers are garbage and boring, like whats happening to bleach now. If it was me, I would stop making episodes until the manga went a bit further ahead. I wouldnt care if the fans complained it's for their own good, Its quality over quantity!!

And plus in x amount of years when all the eps are out and someone else watches it they will think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, and tell everyone else about it. Stuff that owns like NGE and are still selling strong.. WHY? Because it was the perfect size and there was no fillers. I also think animes with 150+ eps are a waste of time. *cough* Naruto.

[color=crimson]Filler episodes are sometimes enjoyable and they do serve a purpose. I just never thought I'd see an anime making whole [b]seasons[/b] of filler [Naruto]- that kind of pushes my toleration of filler episodes to the maximum, lol.[/color]

I HATE filler. All it does is prlong the story and make for some really shoddy subplots. Half the time, the characters is these episodes end up dead, and the experiences from these episodes are seldom remembered by the characters.

Except in Inuyasha. In that show I ONLY like the filler episodes.

[SIZE=1]Sometimes Filler episodes can be brilliant. Take Bleach, for instance. That series has some of the funniest filler I've ever seen. I was honestly glad that my parents were out during one filler episode, as I was laughing so hard I scared my dog.

Othertimes, Filler is just plain annoying. Especially when it comes in the form of recap episodes, like in Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny. Othertimes, it explores ideas that have already been explored, like the redundant 'Shippo's New Love Interest' filler episodes in Inuyasha. Stuff like that falls under the 'excessively annoying' category.

Though, the best filler episode has to be Naruto, episode 101. That was pure gold. I've watched it tons of times already, and I'm still not tired of it! Ah...that is a sign of [i]good[/i] filler. [/SIZE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]It depends on the type of filler episodes. The ones that are recaps where they show nothing but clips of previous episodes are downright annoying. It?s like they were just too lazy to animate a new episode. Honestly I?d rather just skip the show for a week instead of watching something like that.

But ones where they explore side stories, provided they don?t make an entire season out of it, aren?t too bad. I rather enjoyed the one in D.N.Angel about Wiz. On some level I find it kind of annoying when the anime and manga match exactly. So I prefer series that have at least a few filler side stories. Not enough to really distract from the main storyline, but enough to at least make it a little more diverse. [/COLOR]

[size=1]I don't really mind some fillers. The fillers in the anime [b]His and Her Circumstances[/b] drive me insane. They are mostly filled with one-two episodes of flashbacks. Or just a bunch of random sidestories.

I, too, don't mind the filler episodes in[b] Inuyasha[/b]. They give a good laugh and all.

I think when fillers are just repetition of the story/plotline, they shouldn't be made in the first place. But if it is something worth watching, and kind of a oneshot of it's own, then I suppose I don't mind.[/size]

[COLOR=SandyBrown]Actually, I don't really mind.
Fillers are quite fun and amusing to watch, because its pointless and it a break from all the important stuff.. :animesmil
Except for Naruto fillers..It's half an hour of watching Naruto doing stupid things.
Geez talk about mindless..
:sleep:
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Plum]I personally think that fillers are okay, if they're shown every now and again. If they show fillers for majority of the series, it gets very annoying and I start to pull out of the series a little. As for recap fillers, I can deal with them, if I missed a few episodes. Personally, they shouldn't be shown as often. [/COLOR]

Hmm... Come to think of it, I've never seen any animes with fillers. Sure I've seen Rurouni Kenshin but I haven't seen an episode past the last episode of Shishio's arc, and I've given up on Inuyasha a long ways before they could get to any fillers. (That is if they have any?)

I do have a question about fillers though. Seeing that they are just stories made by someone other than the creator or whatnot, will those filler episodes be shown in America? (I.e. Naruto and / or Bleach)

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]^I was thinking of the exact same thing.

To be truthfull I really don't know. So far I don't think they may since even here in the west the anime may come out a lot faster than the manga of the same series may come out. So then only fillers will be nessesary. However the only thing I can think of is that maybe the fillers could be on at different times or in a different sequence than the one that they came in the first place[/FONT].[/SIZE][/COLOR]

It depends on the episode. Naruto has one right before the second stage of the chuunin exams and it's terriable. Everyone is dieing to see what happens and the enter this boring episode of flashbacks. It's quite irrating.

But the Konoha Sports festival episode is so hilarous. I never get tired of that one!