OtakuBoards

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Desbreko

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]After experimentation, it's not shorter by a whole lot. Just enough to matter.[/FONT][/quote][COLOR=#503F86]That's what I thought. I also had a feeling someone would have picked up on it earlier but it's a long thread and I wanted to join in on the conversation >.>; Apparently the sweet spot position has changed more to the centre of the blade than the tip, which is more or less what you said anyway.

It doesn't feel to me like Samus's speed has changed. I just seem to remember her doing a lot more knockback with her smash attacks.[/COLOR]

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Arial]I'm really enjoying the new crowd cheer sections. I especially like how there's one person howling in Wolf's cheer, but Ike's absolutely floored me:

[IMG]http://southdakotapolitics.blogs.com/south_dakota_politics/images/2007/10/31/ike.jpg[/IMG]

I couldn't believe my ears. :D[/FONT]

Whenever I try to do Basic Brawl or Team Brawl with anybody other than friends, like, when I just enter a queue for Brawling, I never get any matches going. I'll wait five minutes, and there will still be no opponents. Pounding Sandbag is amusing for a bit, but it's getting old fast. :p

Is this normal? Does anybody else get ridiculous wait times also? Or is there something that makes this happen such as slow connection speed?

[color=#4B0082]As soon as I heard how Ike's name was pronounced (i.e. the English pronunciation rather than the Japanese as I had thought it would be) I figured they'd use that for his cheer. But it was still pretty awesome when I first heard it as I beat the crap out of my friends with him.

As for waiting times online, I haven't played a lot of With Anyone matches but it seems like it mainly depends on the time of day. I can never find any matches in the really late night and morning, afternoon tends to have some wait time, and evenings seem pretty active. I'm not sure if there's any sort of matchmaking to put people with fast connections to each other together (though I would hope so) or if that could affect wait times.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082'](i.e. the English pronunciation rather than the Japanese as I had thought it would be[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Since Path of Radiance was released Stateside, it makes completely logical sense that Ike would be dubbed in English. :p

Marth had to stay Japanese, or his charm would be ruined. But Ike was known to speak English, and so I expected he was going to.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]True, but the complication lies in Ike being both a Japanese and English name. So even though they dubbed in English they could've easily kept the Japanese pronunciation due to it being said that way in the original version.[/color]

[quote name='Ben']

Is this normal? Does anybody else get ridiculous wait times also? Or is there something that makes this happen such as slow connection speed?[/quote]

Five minutes? Geeze, that’s a bit long to be seeking other players. I would get automatically disconnected if I waited that long. I normally wait for at most 2 minutes to connect with other people. I’ve read that if you wait for more than 3 minutes and nobody shows up, then exiting out of the room and entering it again would sometimes fix the problem. I don’t know if that really works though. Whenever I do get connected with other players, I would try to stick with that group for as long as I can.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='The13thMan']I've got ssbb for a little while, anybody want to play?[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Sure, I'll register you the next time I play. My FC is in the Arcade Online thread.

By the way, peoples, if your PC is near your Wii I recommend signing on to AIM while you play SSBB. Otherwise others have no way of contacting you to say, "Hey, join the match I have set up!" (Which is complete fail on Nintendo's part, but that's another issue.) There've been a few times that I've seen people online in SSBB but since they were playing With Anyone and they weren't on AIM I couldn't let them know I was also online.

Myself, whenever I'm playing SSBB and available to play online I'll be on AIM with an away message saying to IM me if you'd like to play.[/color]

[color=deeppink]AIM: WhiteRangerN.

Friend Code: 2062-9911-3905

I'm probably only going to be available to play during the summer months due to my college having a stupid, stupid firewall. If I'm on AIM, I'll more than likely be free for play.

I can't really say how good I am... I don'tt have much experience playing against other people. In my almost 9 years of playing Smash Brothers, I've played against other people, like, two dozen times.

I'm exaggerating, but only slightly.[/color]

I?ll add you both, The13thMan and Nerdsy.

My friend code is also in the Arcade Online thread, but I?ll just copy and paste it in here again.

FC: 0387-8469-8440 (Treb)
AIM: TrebleSN (I don?t really sign on a lot, but feel free to IM me for match when I do.)

I recently signed up for a tournament at some other place that?s going to be starting soon. But most likely, I won?t last long so I should have some free time to play with you guys if things go as expected.

I added you guys (treble and nerdsy) on AIM. I'll hit you guys up if i ever see you online for some good smash bros. action.

I used to be pretty good ssbm. My friends were real players and i was competent with them. But i'm not nearly as good with ssbb, just haven't gotten the feel for it yet.

Anyways, looking forward to fighting you guys.

Oh, and my AIM sn is: Attimus331

[color=deeppink]Unfortunately, my router crapped out yesterday, so no matches for me for a couple days. I intend to pick up another one Saturday, so after that, I'm good.

Figured I'd post this here before any more invites got sent my way, heh.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]New character rankings for me.

[b]1st tier:[/b] Marth
[b]2nd tier:[/b] Samus/ZS Samus, Link, Ike, Pikachu
[b]3rd tier:[/b] Mario, Zelda, Snake, Kirby
[b]4th tier:[/b] Ganondorf

I've dropped a few characters, at least for now, and have been focusing most of my attention on Marth and Samus. On Marth I'm very close to being back up to my previous skill level in Melee, I just need to get better with grabs again. And even if she's not as good in Brawl anymore, I really love playing on Samus so I've been looking for ways to work around her weaknesses.

Pikachu is not quite as good as I thought. He's hard to deal with because his electric attacks are fast, have pretty high priority, and can be hard to shield but that's about his only trick. I've been trying to come up with new combos and leading attacks but not much seems to be working. If you can avoid his forward-air and down-smash Pikachu stops being so great.

I fell in love with Snake as soon as I learned how to mortar slide. And with more practice he'll easily climb into my second tier. He's very hard to learn but he's incredibly good once you do.

Ganondorf remains fun to play even if he kind of sucks. I still love punishing predictable behavior with him. :catgirl:

I want to come back to Lucario some time because I've seen some really good players use him and I have a hard time fighting him myself. His range is deceptively long.

By the way, Treble, it's starting to get a little eerie how often we keep getting into Ike vs Sonic matches. I think we've had that match up more times than any other.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]
By the way, Treble, it's starting to get a little eerie how often we keep getting into Ike vs Sonic matches. I think we've had that match up more times than any other.[/COLOR][/quote]

Haha, I?ve noticed that too. It?s strange indeed. What an unlikely pair to facing off against each other all the time.

As for tiers, the only characters that remain in the same spot for me is Kirby and Mario. Kirby is still awesome as always. I think I?m getting better at using his hammer attacks. Now it?s time for me to learn how to use his Rock move more effectively. And Mario seems to vary for me depending on who the opponent is.

Lucas is no longer at the top for me. I find it incredibly difficult to use him to his full potential. His up smash attack is quite effective when it hits, but when it doesn?t, I?m in for a pummel.

I guess the same also goes for everyone else. I?ve seen many people online use characters in ways that I would have never thought was possible. So I got a long a way to go before I get somewhat decent with any of the other characters.

So for now:

[B]1st tier:[/B] Kirby
[B]2nd tier: [/B]Mario

[color=#4B0082]So I've been trying to master Samus's taunt transformation, for changing into ZS Samus mid-match. It's freaking retarded, to the point where I actually gave myself a blister while practicing.

I'm pretty sure the Dojo lies when it simply says to quickly input up-down-up taunts. Never have I gotten it to work with only that. I think it requires no less than seven inputs, alternating between up and down with no other input breaking the sequence, in about half the time of an up-taunt's animation. (I've never gotten it to happen towards the end of the animation.) You also don't have to start with an up-taunt since I've gotten it to happen during a down-taunt's animation.

The best method I've found so far is to hold my left thumb on the center on the GCN controller's control cross while lightly gripping the left handle with the other fingers to keep my thumb in place. Then using my right hand on the right handle to waggle the controller back and forth really fast so my left thumb moves over the up and down directions. If I get the positioning and direction of the waggling just right I can usually transform within one or two taunts but it's still far from reliable right now.

If I can get this down I think it'll help a lot in situations where I pick Samus, start the match, and see my opponent has picked a really fast character that Samus has trouble fighting.[/color]

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]So I've been trying to master Samus's taunt transformation, for changing into ZS Samus mid-match. It's freaking retarded, to the point where I actually gave myself a blister while practicing.

I'm pretty sure the Dojo lies when it simply says to quickly input up-down-up taunts. Never have I gotten it to work with only that.[/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]I agree that it's a stupid sequence, but back when I was playing (before the semester ended and I still had access) I remember having gotten the move down pat.

By "quickly", I think they mean initiate the opposite taunt as soon as the previous one ends. I tried the rapid mashing thingy for a while and then quit and started trying to time it, and I'm pretty sure that's when I got it to work consistently.

And oddly, I took to Zero Suit almost instantly?'odd' meaning that I'm pretty gosh-darn pathetic with Power Suit. I personally love that neither of her rescue moves count as rescues, and that you can basically chain them. Getting used to her jump making her intangible until she returns to her initial height was a trip, but it's extremely useful for my style of combat: strike from as many directions as possible as close together as possible and totally piss people off.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]I haven't gotten it to work that way but I guess I'll give it another try. Though even if I could do it every time like that it would still be impractical at the start of matches since there's no way my opponent would let me do three taunts in a row without interruption. I'd have to wait until they were recovering from far off the edge or after getting a KO. I really need to be able to do it with only one taunt animation for it to be completely practical.[/color]

[FONT=Arial]It's admittedly much more easy in four-ways, since you can use opponents as buffers to pull it off. But still, it's not worse (or better) than that grapple-beam extension mash in Melee.

Now, you know how to start as Zero, right? I only ask because it seems to me that you'd know who you were going up against before you even selected a stage, and holding the shield button before exiting the character select screen is much easier than timing three taunts, so I'm wondering why you would need to be switching right at the start of the match since you could have set up for the start by just watching who your opponent chooses to play.

Unless, of course, you can't see that during Wi-Fi games. I haven't played any of them yet, so I don't know how they work.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Unless, of course, you can't see that during Wi-Fi games. I haven't played any of them yet, so I don't know how they work.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]You can't. You have to wait until the match actually starts to see who you're fighting.[/color]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I always play as just Zero and avoid smash balls depending on my opponent. I can say with some confidence that I have never, ever gotten that taunt trick to work. Plus, I suck as Power Suit. My strategy consists of running off to the far side of the screen in 4-player and spamming Super Missiles. Sometimes I can pull of some sweet jumping maneuvers, though.

Why can't they just do it like Zelda and Shiek? What is Samus' down B again? Morph Ball bombs? I've only ever found one use for them.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]I already knew how to start as ZS Samus but, like Nerdsy said, in online matches you don't get to see your opponent's character until you've already left the character select screen. And since I only ever get to play real people online that makes the taunt transformation much more important for me.

Samus's bombs are more useful than you might think, Aceburner. They give Samus yet more horizontal recovery distance in the air, provide both unpredictability and defense while falling back to the platform (you pause in mid-air while dropping the bomb which is great for throwing off the timing of people trying to jump up and hit you), and can make a decent obstacle for your opponent on the ground. Like a lot of Samus's other moves, they're designed to keep your opponent away from you so that you can use your ranged attacks.

More of you guys need to post your Wii Numbers so I can send you replays of my awesomeness. I have a few good ones where I three-stock Treble on various characters. :p[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]
More of you guys need to post your Wii Numbers so I can send you replays of my awesomeness. I have a few good ones where I three-stock Treble on various characters. :p[/COLOR][/quote]

[center][IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/309ufig.png[/IMG]

That's me every time I lose to you. :animecry:
[/center]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']You can't. You have to wait until the match actually starts to see who you're fighting.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I had figured that would be the case by the time I finished typing. And I don't like it.

I understand it, but I don't like it. Kinda takes some of the camaraderie out of the game, I think.[/FONT]

[quote name='Treble'][center][IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/309ufig.png[/IMG]

That's me every time I lose to you. :animecry:
[/center][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
+1 for a Street Fighter reference in a SSBB thread

Once I get my Wii hooked up online, I'll make sure to post up on here to give you guys my friend code. I'm not too good at Brawl, but I'll enjoy the experience for sure :) [/FONT]