OtakuBoards

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Desbreko

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the heavy winter storm here in Ohio, I managed to pick up the game yesterday.

It’s pretty fun so far! As of right now, I’ve unlocked Marth, Captain Falcon, and Luigi. The Subspace Emissary is pretty neat. The cut scenes are entertaining and I’m curious to see how it all unfolds. Plus, it kind of motivates me to try out different characters instead of just sticking to one.

I also tried out playing against a couple of random people online in a Brawl match once and got my butt handed to me. Yep, I pretty much suck at this game, but it’s always a joy to play against others just to see how good they really are. I’ll be sure to keep my eye on this thread and the other League thread to add some friend codes.

Edit: Oh and here’s my friend code 0387-8469-8440. (Updating my FC list)

Got this at the midnight release, then got home and went to sleep, go figure. My gf and I had it going five minutes after we woke up though, and played for 12 hours. We've got almost everyone unlocked. Subspace Emissary mode is great for that. Speaking of SSE, some of that stuff is INSANE. Not the battles, as we haven't really lost one yet, but some of the sidescrolling sections that get really crazy to get through. We're 80% through SSE mode now, and I'm hoping we can finish it tonight so that darn near everyone will be unlocked (only 2 or 3 more will need to be unlocked).

[size=1]Purchased it yesterday, and played a decent amount afterwards. Excellent game.

Even though I'm using the GameCube controller, the controls seem really off to me. But perhaps it's because I haven't played Smash Bros. in so long. Hm.

I'm really looking forward to some multiplayer and online matches. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to play.

Friend Code: 5241-1590-2564

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR=#6d527f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Despite many hours attempting to adjust myself to the new controls (Even with the GC controller, the controls feel slightly off). I'm willing to say I'm ready to rock.

3308-4269-7321

Feel free to drop a message if you're willing to play.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Brawl is mine. Marth is unlocked. I'm ready to rock. My friend code is 1504-5385-2566. Add me and post up your codes, either in here or the Arcade Online thread, guys.[/color][/QUOTE]

well then I'll add you so we caj fight my code is 5327-0560-5457

[quote name='Shinmaru']My friend code is 4983-4584-1619. The best time to challenge me (ha, like it'd be a challenge) would probably be some time between 8-11 p.m. PST. That's when I'm online, anyway lol.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]We're on daylight time now. Or are you just running an hour early? :p

Marth's slightly shorter sword has really been messing with me. So many times I've whiffed smash attacks with the tip scrapping the opponent yet it isn't quite close enough to actually hit. There's a lot of little things like that which add up to make Brawl feel a lot different from Melee even if a character has a nearly identical move set.

Some of the most noticeable tweaks are in the game's physics. A lot of little anomalies from Melee are no longer present. There's no more gaining extra horizontal distance with Marth's side+B, or other similar moves, while in the air; short hopping backwards and then doing a move without turning around requires much more precise control where you need to push back the direction you're facing before doing the move; and of course wavedashing is completely dead. The game is overall a little slower than Melee as well so the timing on a lot of things will feel off until you get used to it.

Probably my biggest gripe is that L-canceling seems to have been removed completely. So now when you use moves like Link's down-air you better mean it because you [i]always[/i] have to deal with the full recovery time when you land. I don't see why they decided to remove it now since it was present in both the original SSB and SSBM. Short hopping was left intact so you can SHFF with moves, which is still useful, but you have to take their full lag time.

At the same time, lag after being hit with an attack seems to have been decreased on a lot of moves unless you hit with the sweet spot and air dodging seems to have almost no lag at all when you land in the middle of one. The result is level 9 CPU characters who are stupidly good at dodging (yay for perfect reflexes), not to mention doing perfect shields; pulling off combos on them is proving to be incredibly difficult so far.

Finally, having Ai no Uta as background music on the Pikmin level is pure awesome.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]The Wii doesn't have an ethernet port so you'd need a USB LAN adapter to use a wired internet connection. Besides the official one available on Nintendo's online store there's a [url=http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wii_ethernet_adapter][u]list[/u][/url] of others that work with the Wii. They're cheaper than a wireless router but still around $15-$30.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]I've been using Lucario off and on. I like him but I need to get the timing of his moves down better. Especially when I'm playing online and there's lag, my timing is off way too often. But, at any rate, he's about ten times better than Mewtwo was and the way he gets more powerful as he takes damage is really cool.

While playing a level in adventure mode as him I got up over 200% and was just wasting things left and right because they'd die in one hit before they could attack. It took three of those big energy-ball-with-blades-on things surrounding me to finally KO me.

[b]Edit:[/b]
And speaking of LAN adapters, I got one myself and it's made a noticeable difference in the amount of lag I get compared to using a wireless connection. If anyone's getting bad lag I'd recommend picking one up, provided it's feasible for you to run an ethernet cable to your Wii.[/color]

I haven't had too much time to play yet since free time is scarce, but whenever I'm able to get online I'll be looking to play some matches. Brawl code: [SIZE=2]0516-7032-2655

While I'm here I do want to share a funny story with you guys that happened about the Wednesday before Brawl came out. So my friend went to Wal-Mart hoping to pick up a Wii, since Brawl was being released and she was a big fan of the series. For some reason the game had already been shipped to the store, and was just sitting out in a display. Can you guess what happens next? The store clerk lets my friend buy the game, even though the screen kept saying "cannot sell", and when the detector at the front beeped they just highlighted her receipt and let her go. XD I played the game on Thursday and finally bought it Sunday, silly Wal-Mart.
[/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]I haven't gotten around to trying out the level editor but I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time with it in the future. As soon as I finish adventure mode (I'm in the stupid maze right now trying to find the last few doors) I'm going to give it a whirl. I really hope I can recreate the classic Saffron City level from SSB. That was my favorite level in SSB and I was heartbroken when it wasn't included in Melee while crap like Dreamland was.[/color]

[FONT=Arial]My friend built himself an Aztec-themed level with an enclosed center section, where basically the only way to get KOed is to rack up almost 600% damage and get the hell smashed out of you.

There's nothing funnier than bouncing off all four walls, sliding out the exit path at 200 mph, and slamming the edge of the screen.

We were flying so fast that we'd keep sliding even after we'd recovered [I]in the opposite direction[/I].[/FONT]

Haku877 is evil.

No, I mean with the level editor. He creates death traps just for fun. His first was 4 floating blocks in a perfect row. All he had to do was play as Pit and spam those arrows.

Then he made one that was just ladders and 4 blocks in random locations to start on.

Did I mention that Pit is his main?

Then he's got this one where most of the ground is spikes.

But they're sooo muuuch fuuun....

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Well, it's the same as Melee and then before that the same as just regular ol' Smash but thats not really a bad thing.

I don't own a Wiik and I don't intend to but when I'm at my friends houses I'll likely request this brawler.

I play Captain Falcon a lot but I really like Ganondorf cause he's enough like Cpt. Falcon that I already know how to use him but also different enough to be constituted as a different character. I also enjoy using Ike. Man is a power-house for sure.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=silpheedpilot][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I play Captain Falcon a lot but I really like Ganondorf cause he's enough like Cpt. Falcon that I already know how to use him but also different enough to be constituted as a different character. I also enjoy using Ike. Man is a power-house for sure.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]Sorry, bucko. Ganondorf got the short stick this go-round. He's slower, clunkier, his final smash is nigh useless, and they took away the ability to second-jump after the Wizard Kick, or whatever-the-deuce his down-B is called.

And he runs like a gay Schwarzenegger.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Sorry, bucko. Ganondorf got the short stick this go-round. He's slower, clunkier, his final smash is nigh useless, and they took away the ability to second-jump after the Wizard Kick, or whatever-the-deuce his down-B is called.

And he runs like a gay Schwarzenegger.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]
Yeah, well, bucko I enjoy playing as him and he's a perfect compliment to a really quick character. Let them soften them up and then KAKOW! It's all over.

I'm pretty glad Captain Falcon hasn't changed at all since his first appearance in the first game. Everyone else got queered out but Captain Falcon stayed the same and even can spin his Falcon Punch around. Sweet.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='silpheedpilot][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Yeah, well, bucko I enjoy playing as him....[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Yeah, see, that's the thing. [I]So do I.[/I]

Or, I did.

Second on the Cpt. Falcon bit there. (^_^)[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]What are you talking about? Ganondorf was never able to jump twice after using his down+B. He's still able to jump once, plus use his up-B, after it in Brawl the same as in Melee. In both you can jump once, use down+B, then jump again, or you can use down+B off an edge and jump once.

Ganondorf seems the same speed to me, though, and I just went into training mode in both Brawl and Melee to compare. His neutral-A is slower but more powerful and has longer range, which I've found isn't that bad considering he doesn't flinch as easy anymore and can just smack people with it through little hits. Other than reworking some combos to take into account a few little differences in his moves, I can play him the same as in Melee and do just as well.

Also, I like that his up-smash is a single hit now. Way too many times in Melee I'd hit people with the first, weaker hit but they'd get knocked away from the second, stronger hit and then just smack me on the way down. That's no longer a problem in Brawl.[/color]