OtakuBoards

Halo 3

Guest Fire Storm

Guest Fire Storm
Well since the other Halo 3 thread was closed, thought I'd make a new one and introduce myself at the same time. My name is Fire Storm and I heard this site was great from one of my friends, and he was telling the truth...anyway.
Back to Halo 3, as you can see through the E3 announcement trailor. ([url]http://bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=Halo3Announcement[/url]) Obviously stunning graphics and as far as I can tell amazing sound/ music.
So what are your expectations for this game better than Halo 2? Or anything out of the norm, or what? Post here..

[SIZE=1]Welcome to the OB Fire Storm.

The only thing I'm wishing for out of Halo 3 is a better plot than Halo 2. Not really the writing of the plot - religion making people blind to what they are actually doing seems somewhat familiar >.> its just how the left it that I absolutely hated. There's no gradual ending, where you can tell you are reaching the end of the game and are aware that you are reaching your ultimate goal. In Halo 2, it just suddenly ends and you are left wondering "Whoa. Is that it? Couldn't Bungie fit the rest of the game on the disc or something?" And you don't seem to reach your 'ultimate goal'. I know they did that so show there's gonna be another sequel, but it would have been nice to see it end like Halo: Combat Evolved did - with achievement.[/SIZE]

'Sup Firestorm.

The Halo 3 teaser was all right. It went for a minimalist approach which is what I was expecting. It's difficult to comment on anything specifically because the only point of the teaser was to give the game a presence at the show. It didn't really showcase the actual gameplay at all.

What I'm hoping for is for Bungie to resolve the issues that have been plaguing the series since its inception: poor level design, repetitive gameplay, and a terrible narrative. Hopefully they address those issues and deliver another solid multiplayer experience. They definitely need to shake things up gameplay-wise though.

[SIZE=1]Repetitive gameplay wasn't so much an issue with Halo: Combat Evolved. It's still fun to play. But Halo 2 was plagued with it. Levels that repeated the most was the levels where there Master Chief is in High Charity. All the corridors look exactly the same, the same enemies are in each room, and you couldn't really hear Cortana telling you what's going on, which means you're being led somewhere, but you don't know where or why.

I think Halo 3 will make or break the franchise. I just hope Bungie will realise that and put a little more effort into gameplay and not focusing on the looks so much. But, of course as it's going to be on the X Box 360, it's inherently going to be pretty[/SIZE]

[quote name='SkyBlu][SIZE=1']Repetitive gameplay wasn't so much an issue with Halo: Combat Evolved. It's still fun to play. But Halo 2 was plagued with it. Levels that repeated the most was the levels where there Master Chief is in High Charity. All the corridors look exactly the same, the same enemies are in each room, and you couldn't really hear Cortana telling you what's going on, which means you're being led somewhere, but you don't know where or why.[/SIZE][/quote]

Um, I'm sorry, but you just described the first Halo as well since Halo 2 plays pretty much exactly like it, warts and all.

I saw the E3 trailer for Halo 3 about a week ago, and it looked quite impressive. But it looks to me like Bungie is going to overmarket Halo...sure, Halo and Halo 2 are great games - even so, after playing Halo 2, it seemed like they'd changed too much in the game. The physics were different, dual-weilding was introduced...altogether it was just too much. What's next? A ******* cannon on Master Cheif's forehead? Spartan babes? Chocobos?

[quote name='Zakarias.exe']I saw the E3 trailer for Halo 3 about a week ago, and it looked quite impressive. But it looks to me like Bungie is going to overmarket Halo...sure, Halo and Halo 2 are great games - even so, after playing Halo 2, it seemed like they'd changed too much in the game. The physics were different, dual-weilding was introduced...altogether it was just too much. What's next? A ******* cannon on Master Cheif's forehead? Spartan babes? Chocobos?[/quote]

Yeah, excuse me if this was a joke post. If so, haha. Good one. I like the sarcasm.

If not you're clearly exaggerating. At most the differences you listed are minor tweaks. Gravity was relaxed when jumping, which made the move feel more floaty. Meanwhile Halo 2 didn't exactly introduce dual-wielding into first person shooters. That's been around for years and it did nothing to really change the face of the game. The single player campaign was basically [b]identical[/b] to the first game's. Also, I fail to see how Microsoft can "overmarket" their key franchise, and how that's relevant to making extremely minor tweaks. Unless you're referring to them showing a teaser trailer at a gaming expo. In that case, I don't know what to tell you.

Regardless, I'll say this again--at some point Bungie is going to have to take some risks and evolve the game. The formula's basic, but it's received praise because of how well-executed the fundamentals are. As the years go by and standards rise they're going to have to step it up. I'm sure Bungie realizes this so you had better brace yourself if you consider the things you've mentioned here, drastic.

[quote name='Zakarias.exe']I saw the E3 trailer for Halo 3 about a week ago, and it looked quite impressive. But it looks to me like Bungie is going to overmarket Halo...sure, Halo and Halo 2 are great games - even so, after playing Halo 2, it seemed like they'd changed too much in the game. The physics were different, dual-weilding was introduced...altogether it was just too much. What's next? A ******* cannon on Master Cheif's forehead? Spartan babes? Chocobos?[/quote]

As charles said the tweaks were not major just minor things. As for the cannon, spartan babes, and chocobos that was just a dumb comment. Incase you didn't know spartans was once a race which was killed off by the covenant when they glassed their home planet Reach. Spartan 117 to us is the only known survivor in the games, but if you read the books you know that 3 other spartans did survive. Kelly, Linda, uhh(crap forgot his name) well survived along side of John(master chief). So really they'll make changes to the game but not major ones it will mainly just be to balance out the game for the new things that will be added.

Weren't there 4 other Spartan IIs that made it off Reach? Kelly, Linda, Fred, and Will. Then there were 3 Spartan IIs who were on missions when Reach was attacked, and another Spartan II who was launched into space by a broken jetpack, but it's unknown if he's dead.

As for Halo 3, I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of gameplay shown, but it still looks awesome. I was interested in some of the things you could infer about the plot from the trailer, especially if you read the Cortana Letters. If you don't know what they are, they're emails that were sent to the story page of Bungie's previous FPS, Marathon (which is very similar to Halo) in 1999, before Halo: CE was announced. You can find them [url=http://marathon.bungie.org/story/cortana.html]here[/url]. At the end of the first letter, Cortana says "Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends." She also says something about seeing your future. Another thing: if you listen to the first line, you can hear Gravemind speaking with Cortana, which may mean that Gravemind has done something to her.

Aside from that, I do hope that Bungie makes some improvements to gameplay. I liked Halo 1 and 2 gameplay-wise, but there is room for improvement. One thing I think may make it interesting is to have a team gametype where everyone can choose from different races. This could provide more strategy. Certain races could specialize in certain jobs, such as Jackals for sniping and recon, and Hunters to fight vehicles and break through enemy defenses.

[QUOTE=Jeebs]

As for Halo 3, I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of gameplay shown, but it still looks awesome.[/QUOTE]

It was an announcement trailer. Halo 2's announcement trailer didn't show any gameplay just like Halo 3, except Halo 3 wasn't pre-rendered.

• 1 month later...
Personally, I have low hopes for Halo 3. The previous was just boring...you did the same exact thign again and again, with little to no variety in how the missions played out. And no, the fact that multiplayer was more fun does not excuse it's poor gameplay, IMHO. Still, if Bungie would actually listen to the hardcore fans, ie the ones who don't go 'OMFG! HALO 2 IZ DE BST GAME EVA!', then I think Halo 3 has some hope for it. Maybe.

[size=1][color=darkred]Merged the new Halo 3 thread with the old Halo 3 thread, in case you're wondering. -- Bombu[/color][/size]

I'm looking forward to Halo 3, but I'm not getting my hopes up. In fact, the only game I have high hopes for is MGS4.

To all who're talking about poor gameplay. What exactly are y'all looking for in terms of gameplay? I mean all you can really do in FPS's is run and gun, so I'm not really understanding what makes the gameplay in Halo so repetitive. If Halo is repetitive, wouldn't that make all FPS's repetitive?

[QUOTE=Hayabusa]
To all who're talking about poor gameplay. What exactly are y'all looking for in terms of gameplay? I mean all you can really do in FPS's is run and gun, so I'm not really understanding what makes the gameplay in Halo so repetitive. If Halo is repetitive, wouldn't that make all FPS's repetitive?[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Not really. One of the problems with Halo (not so much Halo 2 in my experience), was that there was a definite repetition in level design, to the point where it was sometimes difficult to know where to go. If you get lost in corridors because they all look the same, I don't think that's necessarily going to be fun for most players.

If you look at a game like Half-Life 2 though, it all takes place in the same city but there is a great deal of variety in the environments; you are constantly moving through different areas that provide different gameplay opportunities. One moment you might be in a tunnel and the next moment it's opened up and you're in a warehouse, fighting off enemies. There's just a lot of freshness because you're always experiencing new things.

I think that in the first Halo, especially, there was just far too much of the same stuff in terms of textures and room styles and such.

The main reason I didn't particularly like Halo is just because it felt so derivative...there was really nothing terribly original about it. Even Halo 2, which I actually like, is still clearly borrowing heavily from the likes of Half-Life 2. [/font]

Yeah what were looking for in gameplay is something like Half-Life 2. Yes you do have your moments of run and gun but they are very short and not so many of them. In Half-Life 2 you actually have to think about what your gonna do in a certain situation or you can either end up dead, or really damn close to being dead and have to rethink for a bit, or you just can think then make your way through it but still be hurt in the process. Also small puzzles would be nice! Like Half-Life 2 they had there gravity gun which played an important role to help solve some puzzels to get to your next location, which there was many ways to solve something, so it wasn't so "linear". With Halo 3 they could do simple things like you need to blow something up to get somewhere or something like that. I want to have to think a little more while playing single player insteand of just running around go to the way point and shoot anything that isn't on my side.

I see what you all are saying, but poor Halo lol. That's a no win situation for Halo. If Halo 3 is made on a similar basis to Half-Life 2 people are still going to bash on Halo. (I don't really mean bash like it sucks or whatever. Just harsh criticism) Saying they did nothing but copy off of Half-Life, and then we have those who want the game to be similar to Half-Life. (Really a no win situation)

But nevertheless I understand what y'all mean by it being repetitive. Thanks for clearing it up.

One thing that I'd like to add, is that there is an interview with Bungie and some clues as to whats going to happen in this months Official Xbox Magizene. I liked the article a lot, dunno if ya'll would though.

As for my veiws about it? I think that it was already mentioned, but the main thing that I diddn't like about the Halos, was that there wasn't much stratigy. Basicly, all you do is run around, kill and try not to be killed. I mean, they were good games, but they needed more depth.

Guest Kib@Fang
Hi im a new member.
After seeing the trailer I have high expectations of the game. I read in a magazine that the trailer was made with the game engine. So it seems thier using the Xbox 360's capabilities well. But theres one thing I hope finally will happen...... Master Chief will take his helmet off!!!!

Oh and someone has seemed to leak the ending you can get it here
[url]http://www.bungie.net/News/Story.aspx?cid=8338[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Dhampir]One thing that I'd like to add, is that there is an interview with Bungie and some clues as to whats going to happen in this months Official Xbox Magizene. I liked the article a lot, dunno if ya'll would though.

As for my veiws about it? I think that it was already mentioned, but the main thing that I diddn't like about the Halos, was that there wasn't much stratigy. Basicly, all you do is run around, kill and try not to be killed. I mean, they were good games, but they needed more depth.[/QUOTE]

Well the mulitplayer is what made the games. They have a deeper story line then mainly shown, and they did this on purpose, but it's not played out very well(gameplay). With Halo 3 it seems as though as they are finally showing us how great this storyline really is, but also improving in gameplay as strategy and involvement with the environmnets, which should be really good.

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]The gameplay is just fine. In fact, I love it. There [i]are[/i] a few things I would fix, however. One of those things being level design.

The level design for multiplayer maps just don't seem big enough (in my opinion). They are all very crowed and tall (with tons of different floors) and I hate that. I'd rather have a much larger arena with only 2 floors (similar to Coagulation).

I really like Coagulation, actually. If they made a bunch of different versions of that, I would be satisfied. The idea of the two bases and an open area in the middle is awesome. It's like Beaver Creek, only bigger (and Beaver Creek would be cool if it was larger).

I think my main problem is I just like being outdoors in games like this, heh.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Guest MaRk-0wN3Z-YoU
Hey Fire Storm im also new here...

Well Halo 3 should be a lot better then halo 2 i hope. I played Halo 2 to much on X box live and i got bored of it. Halo 3 has some great graphics and I hope the gameplay is as good as the Graphics. Well we will finally see what happens when [spoiler]master chief goes back to earth you know at the end of halo 2. I wonder what is going to happen to coratona.[/spoiler]

[size=1][color=darkred]Sounds like a spoiler, so I added spoiler tags. -- Bombu[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]
The level design for multiplayer maps just don't seem big enough (in my opinion). They are all very crowed and tall (with tons of different floors) and I hate that. I'd rather have a much larger arena with only 2 floors (similar to Coagulation).

I really like Coagulation, actually. If they made a bunch of different versions of that, I would be satisfied. The idea of the two bases and an open area in the middle is awesome. It's like Beaver Creek, only bigger (and Beaver Creek would be cool if it was larger).

I think my main problem is I just like being outdoors in games like this, heh.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more, anyways I liked both Halo and Halo 2, and the only thing i'm really looking forward to in Halo 3 is probably more guns, more vehicles, and more enemies, if they can do all that i'll be happy^^

[quote name='White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]The level design for multiplayer maps just don't seem big enough (in my opinion). They are all very crowed and tall (with tons of different floors) and I hate that. I'd rather have a much larger arena with only 2 floors (similar to Coagulation).[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
But the problem with maps like Coagulation is that if you don't have a vehicle and your opponent has a sniper, it's almost impossible to get to the other base.

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Eh heh... speak for yourself.

My friend once took a sniper and the Banshee up to that mountain sniping point and started sniping my teammate and I, so what did I do? I got my own sniper rifle, crouched on the roof of my base and sniped [i]him[/i]. The Banshee was also left up there, leaving my team with the only working Banshee. :whoops:[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 1 year later...