OtakuBoards

The Da Vinci Code

Death

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but has anyone else read the book.
I'm almost finished and i can't put it down. I can't even read in my own yard without someone coming up to me and asking me about what it is. Asking questions as if the book was a actual code, or saying "a child has no buisness reading a book like that", and the more i listend the more interested i got so what do you think about the book?

I'm on page 254 and I think it's bloody awesome!

Now, on the other hand, I've been tricked by books before (I'm looking at you, The Celestine ********) and I refuse to bellieve anything I read until I see heavy substantial proof.

But still, the idea of [spoiler]Jesus having a bloodline[/spoiler] is just amazing!

[color=#b0000b][size=1]I'm surprised by all the controversy that is surrounding the book/movie/phenomenon. I remember the book being really popular (and I understand why--it's an exciting mystery that's all about conspiracy theory), but I don't remember the Church being up in arms until the movie was in the works.

It's funny that the Church is making a deal about telling their members not to see the movie, because that winds up being free advertising for the movie, anyway. It's possible that many people within the Church will avoid the movie because of it, but many more people outside the Church will go to see it, if only to learn what the controversy is about. (And when they do, the fact that the Church is protesting the film will make them more inclined to believe what is presented in the story.)

And that's completely aside from the private "He stole the idea from me!" controversies that have popped up surrounding Dan Brown.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]I read the book over Christmas, and it was, to put simply, my saving grace. A fifteen hour flight back from Seattle with the Da Vinci Code? No problem.

It's one fo my favourite books of all time and I've just (literally in the last ten minutes) come back from seeing the movie. It was a good movie, but a little dissapointing for a fan of the book. But that's another matter.

Personally, I think it's amazing and slightly amusing when people make such a fuss about the book. I watched a documentary on it and some pompous arse kept saying how 'Dan Brown has no right...', 'Dan Brown was wrong...' and I can't help but think that these 'scholars' who have criticised the book are either terrified of it or...idiots. =/ I mean, honestly, it's [I]a book[/I]. Sure people can start to question things, but it's still just a story. Dan Brown even stated right at the start what he had based on fact, I believe. As a story, it is wonderful and has brought my attention to things I wasn't aware of before, but I can't understand how so many people seem to have taken it as pure fact.

Then again, the Church felt threatened by Harry Potter, so I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

As OtakuBoards' most vocal Roman Catholic I suppose a lot of people expect me to condemn the book right off the mark, which would be a bit of a contradiction as I'm writing this while waiting to go see the movie version in an hour or so. To those who are going to point out the fact that the Church has asked Catholics not to go see the film, personally, as I consider the book to be nothing more than an interesting work of fiction, and complete fiction at that, I'm rather excited to see how well they've managed to convert it from the leaf to the screen.

I found the actual book itself to be captivating when I read it, much more so than his other novels with the exception perhaps of Angels and Demons, although really Dan Brown's greatest skill as an author arises out of the fact that he can weave an excellent and mystery driven plot, keeping you guessing right until the end. I'll admit that I was rather perturbed by many of the characterisations of the books towards Catholics, that somehow people like me are somehow continuing a myth generated by a Roman Emperor to better control the masses. It's been a good few months since I've read the book, and I'll probably go back and read it again after seeing the film tonight.

As I said however I found it to be a compelling thriller, but no more shaking to my faith than any of Robert Ludlum's books. A small note to Mister Brown for his next novel The Solomon Key, he might as Robert Ludlum did so religiously, excuse the pun, ensure that his geographical locations and descriptions are in fact correct.[/SIZE]

There is one thing that bugs me about The Davinci Code. I think there is a bit too much susoense. I mean that at the end of jus about every chapter involving Langdon and Sophie, it ends with a 'they saw something they couldn't believe' or something along those lines, then it'll cut to a Silas scene or a Fache scene. This buggs me because all the Silas scenes in the first half of the book, collectively, add up to like 5 minutes worth of activity. Those scenes seem like they were just thrown in to prolong the finding out whan Langdon saw, and it gets to be annoying IMO.

I've just made it to chapter 96 not much more to go. :D I do agree with tical the chapter does a kind of LOTR thing . I'm going to read holy blood,holy grail next. while reading i've done some background info and most of Mr.Brown mentions are true. I think it's so contreversal because there's a fine line beetween fact and fiction,
like this for example: [url]http://gim.gupshup.org/gal/H/da-vinci-last-supper-copy19605_5815974.JPG[/url]

[QUOTE=Death]I've just made it to chapter 96 not much more to go. :D I do agree with tical the chapter does a kind of LOTR thing . I'm going to read holy blood,holy grail next. while reading i've done some background info and most of Mr.Brown mentions are true. I think it's so contreversal because there's a fine line beetween fact and fiction,
like this for example: [url]http://gim.gupshup.org/gal/H/da-vinci-last-supper-copy19605_5815974.JPG[/url][/QUOTE]

In that pic, if you drew on it, you should also include the V and the M mentioned in the book.

I'll be honest: The Da Vinci Code entertained me, but that didn't stop me from disliking it. To quote Eugene Robinson, "The writing is so clunky that one suspects Brown pounded away at the keyboard with his elbows." That being said, I also agree with Robinson's observation that the book was pretty much made to become a movie. I'll be quite disappointed if the film really is as boring as the reviews say.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Sienna]The Da Vinci Code is, at it's heart, a compelling and well written fiction story. Dan Brown, for the sake of drama and story telling, distorted and blatantly invented various historical facts in order to make a good story, but that doesn't change the fact that DVC was a very good book.

IMO Angles and Demons was his best novel, but I really did enjoy DVC. The story did keep me guessing and definatly kept me interested. I've definatly read better books but if you need something to keep you interested for short periods of time than the DVC is fine.[/COLOR]

I finished the book and I must say, I loved it. The story had a great ending, drawing good conclusions and [spoiler]the relationship beteen Langdon and Sophie was formed well[/spoiler]. I still don't think it logical that [spoiler]Teabing was teacher[/spoiler] since there's so much against it, but whatever. I like that Bezu Fache [spoiler] turned out to be a good guy.[/spoiler] But if he isn't played by The French guy in the movie, I will be pissed.

i think that it is a [U]great fiction story[/U]. i liked it alot. the story line was great. i think that evryone is just blowing it out of proportion. I didn't really think much about the very first page but i still think that evryone is blowing it out of proportion.