OtakuBoards

[HB!] Ezekiel vs. Sara

Ikillion

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS][CENTER]Round 1[/CENTER]

Participants: Ezekiel, Sara

Date Due: May 23, 2006

Requirements:

-500x500px
-Limited palette [URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/meoi/7eb5826d.jpg]Click to view[/URL]

Reminders:

-The [COLOR=Black][B][U]final day [/U] [/B] [/COLOR] to modify/change/edit/or do whatever you would like to your picture is three days from today.

-After the deadline, voters will be given [COLOR=Black][B][U]five days[/U][/B][/COLOR] to vote. Other than the two participants, all Members are able to give their votes on the works of art.

-Remember you [COLOR=Black][B][U]must[/U] [/B][/COLOR] post at least [COLOR=Black][B][U]three[/U][/B] [/COLOR] sentences about the entry they are voting for,and at least [COLOR=Black][B][U]one[/U][/B][/COLOR] sentence of constructive criticism about the other. If a member fails to meet this criteria they will be sent a PM from a Tournament Presider and will be able to change their vote for the rest of the voting time. If they still do not meet the criteria after being sent a Pm their vote won't be counted.

-Finally, good luck and may the best artist win.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well allthough I am not to sure on it, I may have to ask Delta more on it later but I am just going to go out on a whim and say yeah. Because without it the picture would seem rather bland.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Well, I would have finished yesterday..if I wasn't an idiot.

I slaved away for almost an hour, making a vector piece (to be original, oh wow). I was so proud, so I uploaded my picture to PhotoBucket. I arrive in this thread, re-read the first post, and...omg, there were [I]two[/I] handicaps?! DDDD:

So yeah. I remade my piece so it's was 500x500. Even if I don't move through to the next round, this was really fun to make. =)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/AzureImi/roundonereal.png[/IMG] [/SIZE]

[color=#b0000b][size=1][center][img]http://otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25517&stc=1[/img][/center]

And here's mine. I started with the right colors, but I honestly don't know if some of them got mangled during the process. Oh, well.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Alright all ladies, gentlemen and others. Now that the most interesting works of art are now in and documented. The voting may now begin! -Insert hevenly like music-

Yet remember all voters to be. To follow the info that I gave at the begining of the thread. Other than that you may go off on as many tangents that you would like. If you don't follow the rules...I will find you.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I have to go with [b]Ezekiel[/b]. I definitely love how the sky changes colors from dark to light. The text also fits really well with the balloons. The clouds themselves are also very attractive. The render also fits really well. I can't spot anything to critisize about. ^^'

I go with Ezekiel as well. When I look at the pic, '99 Red Baloons' the song pops into my head, and I likes that song. Also, the baloons are nifty looking. Also, I like the text. The sky and clouds are examples of greatness in simplicity.

Sara, yours is cool, it's just not that special. Perhaps if the window were not so all-encompassing...

[size=1]Cat in the Hat!! *Screams*

... *Ahem*

[b]Ezekiel[/b]- Vectoring is something I have yet to master. I envy those of you who have the ability to create such beautiful peices through the art of Vectoring. I, like Tical, thought of the song '99 Red Baloons' at first glance. This piece is extremely happy, and bright. I must also add that you and Sara were the only ones to incorperate both Reds and Blues. Great job. I love it.

[b]Sara[/b]- I can't help but smile when I look at Thing One and Thing Two. Nevertheless, I must say that the white layer takes away from the piece as a whole. I don't know what it is, I just think it made it look messy. It's a shame too, because everything else was just so pretty =(

So my vote must go for [b]Ezekiel[/b].[/size]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Ezekiel: [/B] I really like your piece. Honestly I almost expect it to be the cover to a children?s book as it?s got that bright and vivid look of a colorful story. The clouds and layers of blue as you go up are really quite cute. The only thing that seems a little off to me is that one of the balloons in the top right hand corner doesn?t seem to match the size of the string hanging down. It just seems that a balloon that small would have a much thinner looking string.

[B]Sara: [/B]What I like best about your piece is how the font you choose really fits the picture. The colors are a nice choice as well and the border is nice and crisp looking. What I don?t care for is that the layer over most of the picture is strong enough that to me it distracts from the picture underneath. It gives it a bit of a washed out look.

My vote goes to[B] Ezekiel[/B] as I really like how their piece turned out. [/COLOR]

I really like both pieces.

Ezekial's is a little more original, though it almost looks to have been done in MSpaint.
It's very simple, yet still has alot going on. I also like how the blue fades darker.
Though I don't really like how the text is placed.

Sara's is great, Thing 1 and 2 were always my favortie Seuss characters.
But it's kinda just looks like the cover of a Seuss book, and not very different or special. and the layer of white makes it look a little too faded.

My vote goes to Ezekial.

[QUOTE=DeGHead]I really like both pieces.

Ezekial's is a little more original, though it almost looks to have been done in [B]MSpaint.[/B]
[/QUOTE]

If it was done in paint, it would look [b]much[/b] more pixelly and the quality would be very poor, which in this case is definitely not. It's a very big difference when comparing it with MSPaint.

My vote is for [B]Ezekiel[/B], because that is just amazing. Given the handicap Ezekiel really managed to make an outstanding piece and not get held back at all. The colours just stand out very well and the whole concept is very unique and imaginitive. I must say I'm very jealous of your ability. I only have one problem...where are the balloon ends? You know the thing you tie the string to? =(? :P

As for sara...I'm sorry but I think anyone matched up against this would have had a hard time, but, it sort of feels like you just gave up completly. Not that the concept is bad, but it looks like this took you under a minute to do. It's simply just a box over a stock image with font. I think you could have at least put a little bit more of the creativity effort into it. But, I like the concept =).

Good job guys.

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]I'm going to have to cast my vote for [B]Ezekiel[/B]. I just love the way that she drew her own picture instead of relying on the internet for pictures. And also even if we had a color handicap, she still amazed me with her colorful yet simple piece. I also really love the way that you changed the different colors of the sky, Zeke. The white stars you added made me interested like, "Ooh... stars.." XD Also, love the balloons and the clouds... I'm really amazed. =D

Anywho, my vote goes for [B]Ezekiel[/B]... even though I loved Sara's one, too. n.n[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Sienna][B]Ezekiel:[/B] I must say your piece is really well done. I love the bright red balloons and how the blue of the sky goes from light with clouds all the way up to dark with stars. It?s just cute and whimsical. The only thing I don?t like is the little stars since on my screen they don?t look like stars unless you look closely.

[B]Sara:[/B] What I love best about your piece is the font and how the colors vary though the words themselves. The overall piece reminds me of general purpose stationary cards you get that are blank inside. And in that respect I think it?s perfectly done as I could easily imagine finding this at a store. The only thing I would do different is perhaps to darken it a bit as the top layer is a little to light.

For this round I vote for[B] Ezekiel[/B].[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=royalblue]Another random goal of the day: Continue making the second page on these handicap battles. >.>

[b]Ezekiel:[/b] The very first thing I thought of with this piece is some really old French movie/book thingie callled "The Red Balloon". I read that in second grade and absolutely hated it. It was boring.
But that gave way to the fact that I became stupidly obsessed with giggling out, "See the little red balloon..."
I like the piece, and how simple, vibrant, and clean it turned out. This looks like something with no handicaps, since the picture flows so well. I also like how the sky is actually put into bars, not a gradiant. It fits with the theme better that way.

[b]Sara:[/b] I must say, I was also surprised by the simplicity of the entry. It was really not expected.
I'm gonna announce this right now: I really don't like Dr. Suess. And the 1 and 2 imps (it's what I call them, don't worry about it) were quite possibly some of my least favorite characters. But with that beside me, I think the picture is quite cute.
...It's just plain, and the overlaying white box just does the art injustice. The stock picture itself is quite plain to begin with. However, I am impressed - you weren't hindered by the handicaps either.

For this round, my possible-enemy-next-round [b]Ezekiel[/b] receives my vote. *huggles Sara* :3[/color][/size]

[color=#b0000b][size=1]Wow, congratulations Ezekial. Looks like you're going to win this hands-down. =]

[quote name='Kune']As for sara...I'm sorry but I think anyone matched up against this would have had a hard time, but, it sort of feels like you just gave up completly. Not that the concept is bad, but it looks like this took you under a minute to do. It's simply just a box over a stock image with font. I think you could have at least put a little bit more of the creativity effort into it. [/quote]I could just as easily say that Ezekial's is "simply a bunch of circle-tool shapes with font," but I would not, because it seems like a mean thing to say to someone.

I actually did spend a lot of time on this, and I'm a little hurt by the assumption that I didn't.

I specifically chose this image and scanned it from my copy of the book, and spent a good chunk of time recoloring it so that it matched the required colors. (The actual book version is much greener than the recent advertisements for the movie would lead you to believe.)

I wanted a sort of greeting-card/stationery look ("The overall piece reminds me of general purpose stationary cards you get that are blank inside. And in that respect I think it?s perfectly done as I could easily imagine finding this at a store." --Thank you, indifference! That's exactly what I was going for.), so the lightness was indeed intentional. It's too bad that more people don't like it, but that's okay. It's just a matter of style and taste. =]

The (admittedly old... I need to load Classic in order to use it) program I was using doesn't recognise any new fonts that I download, so the text was a process in and of itself--type a word, take a screenshot, copy the screenshot, paste into a new document, resize, transfer to the handicap window, resize and reposition, select "text," switch layers, delete text from the white layer. Repeat. The letters were also outlined by hand, because the program only has a "stroke" option for unsimplified text layers.

I realise that there are definitely easier and quicker ways to do all of that, but they were not available to me. But yeah, it's not a big deal really, but please don't assume that I didn't make an effort here.[/color][/size]

Sara, I'm sorry if I assumed too much, but you must understand that this is what I saw from your image. In the world of art/critisism you must realize that you're not going to be able to go to every single person who sees your art and explain to them what it means/is supposed to be and how long you slaved over it.

>.
I definitly should not have said that it seemed like you gave up, that's not for me to assume. You tried your hardest and you are proud of your work - and that's good! It seems like you took the criticism well though, and I'm glad that you didn't totally spout off on me.

What I said is that I liked your concept, using the Dr. Seuss style was really neat, I just think it could have been put to better use. Remember we are all improving and I think months from now you'll be able to go back and say "I think I'll change this and that" to it and you'll find it looks even better.

In the end my vote is still for the "simple red balloons" because of the style and the unique/original way Ezekiel put it together. Not because of how long or how hard he worked on it, but how he executed it.

Sorry again!

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well I am pretty sure that I really don't need to say anything about it other than Ezekiel moves on to the next round by a sweep in the voting polls. Yet I still offer congrats to both of you for the effort put into this.

See you all in the next round space cowboys and cowgirls.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]