OtakuBoards

Too Good To Be Canceled

Ka-San

Are there any TV shows you thought were genius but then they got canceled? FOX honestly was especially good for canceling good shows. My personal top two were [b]Wonderfalls[/b] and [b]Arrested Development.[/b] Wonderfalls lasted a good four episodes before they kicled the bucket, and I don't need to remind anyone about AD.

Last time i heard Fox was doing the "Season Finale" of family guy... Must i remind them what happened last time family guy got canceled? a Whole riot broke lose but it's their decision.

Another would have to be That 70's show, I don't know about you but i love that show and i wish it would stay, i don't know what's up with FOX butchering all the good shows, And malcom in the middle was one of the greatest shows ever created and that's gone.

Oh well i hope the have some good filler shows.

[color=#b0000b][size=1]I wish there were more [i]Firefly[/i] for me to watch.

I think That 70's show had a pretty good run. And I liked the way it ended, with the license plate and everything. Heh.[/size][/color]

Cartoon Network was good for that too. I haven't watchedf it in a long itme, but Dexter's Labatory, Jhonny Bravo and the Brak show they used to do every year were all great. That and the Oblongs.

[quote name='Ka-San]Are there any TV shows you thought were genius but then they got canceled? FOX honestly was especially good for canceling good shows. My personal top two were [b]Wonderfalls[/b] and [b]Arrested Development.[/b'] Wonderfalls lasted a good four episodes before they kicled the bucket, and I don't need to remind anyone about AD.[/quote]

I too was flabberghasted and royally disappointed at the cancellation of "Arrested Development." Being pretty much my favorite show, it hurt me to know that it wasn't popular enough to stay on the air. But that may not be the case anymore. Since famous shows like "Family Guy" are getting the boot here and there, it might just be the stations being ignorant. After all, "Family Guy" came back with a vengeance and I hear talk that "Arrested Development" might be too.

Futurama by ten gazillion miles. It's maybe my favorite television show ever, and it was pretty sad to see Fox treat it like people contracted HIV from watching the show or something. At least there's now the strong possibility of several Futurama straight-to-DVD movies in the works. :)

[quote name='Shinmaru']Futurama by ten gazillion miles. It's maybe my favorite television show ever, and it was pretty sad to see Fox treat it like people contracted HIV from watching the show or something. At least there's now the strong possibility of several Futurama straight-to-DVD movies in the works. :)[/quote]

Aperantly, they also made a new season. I'm not sure if it's true, but I do anticipate the arrival of the soon to be Simpsons and Futurama movie.

I couldn't believe it when I heard they were cancelling Arrested Development! I've never laughed so much watching a television show. :animesmil I also wonder why they cancelled Futurama? I thought the ratings were pretty good. Don't they show episodes on Cartoon Network that weren't aired on Fox?

Then there are some shows on television that I think are so annoying but they won't get cancelled!

[quote name='Ka-San']Aperantly, they also made a new season. I'm not sure if it's true, but I do anticipate the arrival of the soon to be Simpsons and Futurama movie.[/quote]

Nope. Unfortunately, the rumors of new seasons of Futurama were just that - rumors.

[quote name='visualkei']I also wonder why they cancelled Futurama? I thought the ratings were pretty good. Don't they show episodes on Cartoon Network that weren't aired on Fox?[/quote]

Nah, the ratings for Futurama were never anything special, if I'm remembering correctly. The show was pre-empted so much and moved to so many different timeslots that it just never had the chance to get a sizable audience. And to my knowledge, Cartoon Network has only shown episodes of Futurama that have previously aired on Fox.

I've got two.

Undergrads. It only lasted for one season before it was pulled, but it was absolutely brilliant. It followed four high school friends through their freshman year of college. You had the usual stereotypes in the four friends. One was a mindless jock (Rocko), another was a mindless pretty-boy (Cal), there was the normal one (Nits), and then my favorite character, the uber-geek (Gimpy). The cast of characters was insane...certifiably so.

The show was filled with geek humor, there was an obsession with Star Wars and Quake--one episode actually featured a game of Quake with a Trekkies team versus Star Wars fans. Great show. Witty as hell. One season.

The next one is Kid Notorious. It was a cartoon about Robert Evans, how he got into all sorts of international intrigue, how he got all the hottest women in Hollywood, how he tormented his bosses on the studio lot, etc. It was an absurd, egotistical, and downright "wtf" kind of show, and that's what made it great.

[quote name='Papa Smurf'] Undergrads. It only lasted for one season before it was pulled, but it was absolutely brilliant.[/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray][I]God[/I] yes. I don't think I'll ever forgive MTV for cancelling that wonderful, wonderful show. Sadly, I only found it on Comedy Central after it had been canceled, but whatever. It also sucks how many plot threads were left unresolved at the end thanks to the cancelling, but what are you going to do, eh? Ah, well, Undergrads was brilliance, and we always have DVD.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Sara][color=#b0000b][size=1]I wish there were more [i]Firefly[/i] for me to watch.
[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

I can't agree more. The series was truly a groundbreaker in the field of science-fiction, and it's a shame more people didn't realize that.

I was very excited about the release of [I]Serenity[/I], the movie based on [I]Firefly[/I], but of course with such high expectations one is bound to get disappointed. The movie was all about brainless action, mock "witty" comments of which only few were atually funny (unlike in the series) and fanservice (River's transformation to a slutty killing machine was a total shock to me).

So yeah, I miss the show...

I'll have to second Undergrads and Family Guy.
Thank goodness Family Guy was braught back though, that show is genius.

My number one pick though will have to be ReBoot.
I'm not sure if it was aired everywhere... but here's an excerpt from a fan website:[QUOTE]ReBoot is a half hour TV series created by Canadian company, Mainframe Entertainment. The series is done entirely in CG (Computer Graphics) animation and was the first of its kind to be produced as a full-running series.

The series follows a group of characters who live inside a computer system called "Mainframe". Within this system are various formats of characters such as the sprites (our heroes), binomes, numerals, nulls and other forms of life. Each has a specific job to do to keep the system running.

The series itself focuses on a specific group of sprites who face various obstacles such as viruses and games which they must fight in order to protect their system. The main hero is Bob, a Guardian from the Super Computer who is a bit of a city boy in a country town. Its his job to protect the citizens from their enemies and the User who likes to 'input games for pleasure', but he's yet to learn why the User does this. Bob's friends throughout the series are Dot Matrix, a careful planner and strong leader who runs a diner and owns some shares in a few other businesses around the city; Enzo Matrix, Dot's younger brother who's eager to follow in Bob's footsteps; Phong, the wise old sprite who seems to keep the system running smoothely and has a great deal of knowledge on various matters (important and unimportant); Matrix, Enzo's older version who is the tough guy with an attitude problem; AndrAIa, a game sprite who has become Matrix' lover and the only one who can keep him calm in most situations; Mouse, a hacker who had dealt with Bob before he had arrived in Mainframe and for a time was competing with Dot for his affections and Ray Tracer, a web surfer who joined them later in the series and has now become the object of Mouse's affections. Along with these main characters are, of course, the enemies - the viruses. Megabyte is a power-hungry virus determined to take control over everything; Hexadecimal loves to cause chaos and mayhem and Daemon seems sweet and innocent but is in fact very, very deadly. [/QUOTE]

The series first aired on YTV (in Canada) in 1991 and ended in it's 4th season in 2001.

YTV still shows reruns on weeknights, and I watch it every night.
It's such an awesome show, I wish it never ended!

[QUOTE=KatanaViolet]I'll have to second Undergrads and Family Guy.
Thank goodness Family Guy was braught back though, that show is genius.

My number one pick though will have to be ReBoot.
I'm not sure if it was aired everywhere... but here's an excerpt from a fan website:

The series first aired on YTV (in Canada) in 1991 and ended in it's 4th season in 2001.

YTV still shows reruns on weeknights, and I watch it every night.
It's such an awesome show, I wish it never ended![/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna]
Oh my god do I miss ReBoot. I remember watching that every morning as a kid. My favourite episodes were in the later season where Enzo was a total badass and hung around with that chick in the bikini (Andrea, I think.). I also remember the really good ReBoot movies. Daemon Rising was my favourite. Some of the CGI was fairly lame but didn't take away from the overall feal of the show. Megabyte is still the most terrifying villain of all time.

Another show I miss is Beast Wars (AKA Beasties, Transformers: Beast Wars, whatever floats your boat), although I guess that show kinda ran it's course. Maximals Forever!

Futurama, Undergrads, and Kid Notorious are shows I definatly agree should have been kept around. Kid Notorious especially. Something about Slash and Robert Evans fighting the Chinese was just TOO good for TV.[/COLOR]

i think that Fox made a huge mistake cancelling Titus; that was quite a few years ago. I just loved that show, my crazy family paled in comparison.

There were three seasons and the last one just came out this past January. It was a good show and it had a great run so i guess thats awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
Justice League Unlimited! The animation was terrific, the voice acting was suberb, and I can count on one hand the number of episodes I didn't think were great. Quite possibly the best comic book based cartoon ever. But now it's gone and Bo Bobobo Bo is still being aired. Stupid Cartoon Network.

I'd just like to say that I highly doubt Arrested Development will come back. It cost way too much to only be pulling 1.2 or 1.4 a week on a network.

Even though AD really didn't do anything for me, I think we can all agree that FOX execs aren't the brightest. Futurama is too expensive? Make Budget cuts. They already moved it every 2 weeks between the crap slots. Even if that doesn't help, they could ask for help. If I saw an ad that said I could give $50 to help keep Futurama alive, the check would be in the mail [B]today[/B].