OtakuBoards

X-Men: The Last Stand

Manic Webb

[QUOTE=Caine]I don't understand why Kitty didn't just walk up to magneto holding a dart, stick it into him, let go of it, and walk away.
[/QUOTE]

Because Kitty was [spoiler]inside Alcatraz saving Leech at the time[/spoiler]. ;P

I'm sure there would've been different ways to stop Phoenix, but the movie's way was the best and required least casualties. Plus it made Logan the heroic hero once again.

Phoenix's powers where tinkered with for the sake of the movie, but consider this:

What is Jean's true mutant power? And what does it say about the validity of her outcome?

All signs in each sub-plot of the story point to yet another sequel. I'll embrace it.

[QUOTE=Caine]I heard somewhere that one guy was signed on through X-5, I'll try to find the link

EDIT
here it is, Vinnie Jones [URL=http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=3776]signed for X-Men 3, 4,5[/URL][/QUOTE]

The thing is, they may not be making any more, contract or no. It's just common practice in the movie industry to sign on for more movies if it is part of a series, whether more are planned or not. I wish they would make more, though. They did pretty well considering the X-Men comics have been around for over forty years. That's a lot to fit into a couple of hours.

[quote name='Bláse][size=1][color=slategray]But I thought it was only supposed to be a trilogy. (By the way, what is it with trilogies, anyway? XP)[/color'][/size][/quote]

Well, there isn't such a thing as a quadrology or quintology to my knowledge. They have to limit it to what they have a word for. Actually, I think those would make good words.

When it comes to novels, I believe that a series with four separate books is usually called a quartet.

That aside, [url=http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/8756.html][u]this ICv2 article[/u][/url] touches on why "formidable obstacles actually make an X4 unlikely--at least with the same cast."

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1][spoiler]Personally I agree with Blayze, I think it is highly unlikely that the army would be equipped with plastic guns but then rely on metal projectiles. It's possible of course that they used a non-magnetic metal or perhaps the tip was a super-plastic or even extremely durable glass.[/spoiler] [/SIZE]

[quote name='silver_blade']Well, there isn't such a thing as a quadrology or quintology to my knowledge. They have to limit it to what they have a word for. Actually, I think those would make good words.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Actually there have been a few movie quadrilogies but off the top of my head the only on I can think of is the Alien series, which comes in four instalments, thus making it a quadrilogy.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Dagger]When it comes to novels, I believe that a series with four separate books is usually called a quartet.

That aside, [url=http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/8756.html][u]this ICv2 article[/u][/url] touches on why "formidable obstacles actually make an X4 unlikely--at least with the same cast."

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Indeed, using the same cast is unlikely. So what? Do you really think that something as trivial as that will stop them? Especially since I heard something about marvel wanting its own studio, I think they're going to take this as far as they can.

[quote name='Caine']Indeed, using the same cast is unlikely. So what? Do you really think that something as trivial as that will stop them? Especially since I heard something about marvel wanting its own studio, I think they're going to take this as far as they can.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Well one of the major problems with replacing the major cast members would be backlash from fans who might see it as simply replacing higher profile actors with lower ones for the sake of profit. I mean sure these films cost a fortune to make but they've always recapped their costs and more once they're released.

Personally I think if Marvel is interested in changing the line up, they might be better off to focus the next movie on the younger X-Men seen in Last Stand, characters like Shadowcat, Angel, Rogue, Colossus and Iceman, that way you keep the continuity but cut costs by hiring younger actors. At least that seems the most logical step to me.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]Well one of the major problems with replacing the major cast members would be backlash from fans who might see it as simply replacing higher profile actors with lower ones for the sake of profit. I mean sure these films cost a fortune to make but they've always recapped their costs and more once they're released.

Personally I think if Marvel is interested in changing the line up, they might be better off to focus the next movie on the younger X-Men seen in Last Stand, characters like Shadowcat, Angel, Rogue, Colossus and Iceman, that way you keep the continuity but cut costs by hiring younger actors. At least that seems the most logical step to me.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

well, if they [B]did[/B] change the line up, it probably wouldn't hurt. To focus the movie on the younger X-men generation, that's not a bad idea. it would be just like that show "X-Men Evolution". that would be fun!

[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]
Personally I think if Marvel is interested in changing the line up, they might be better off to focus the next movie on the younger X-Men seen in Last Stand, characters like Shadowcat, Angel, Rogue, Colossus and Iceman, that way you keep the continuity but cut costs by hiring younger actors. At least that seems the most logical step to me.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

That seems likely to me as Kitty was mentioned in the first two and had a minor role in 3. I can see the Director actually aiming for something similar to the New Mutants or Generation neXt with it. If they keep the movie away from established characters
then it could leave a lot of room for development.

I don't see a movie that doesn't have Wolverine in it doing as well as one with him. Might be on account of his General awesomeness.

[size=1]From what I read/heard/whatever, X3 is the last in the trilogy but not in the X-Men franchise or even series.

I didnt like some of the jokes, but that's about where my complaints end. Also Angel is such a girlyboy lol.

[spoiler]Damn though, I was like ":o you killed everyone in the film!" at the end. I kinda expected Jean to bring back Cyclops and the Prof somehow at the end so was pleasantly(?) surprised when that didnt happen lol.[/spoiler][/size]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]In my opinion angel boy had the eyes of the crowd staring at him with his "bursting" scene if you ask me. He changed the whole outlook of the plot, by showing him as a young boy and what life as a mutant can be like without the "school for special youngsters". [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Book Antiqua][QUOTE=Lost Lightbulb]
[spoiler] Perhaps the most interesting scene is Mangeto moving the chess piece right at the end, after apparently losing all his powers. You could say that either the cure was temporary, or it simply did not work on Mangeto/wasn't strong enough. [/spoiler]

[/QUOTE]

You have to remember they said [spoiler] the cure only surpresses the gene. [/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Dagger]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Well, they can change the cast ONLY if Gambit would be in the next movie. ;)

Anyways, I thought the movie was ok. I feel bad because I was supossed to wait until my sisters came home to watch it. Oh well.

Now what I thought of the film: [spoiler]The beginning was so confusing! You know how they said 20 years before, then 10 years before? Did they means 10 years after the 20 years before or the the middle of the 20 years before?! Why did they have to be so confusing!

The new mutants were cool I guess. I really wanted to see Jubilee in action in this film, but I guess not. Plus, it seemed that she got rid of her signature yellow coat.

I loved the part when Scott went crazy. I was never a fan of the whole Jean/Scott shipper. Maybe it's because I don't like Jean, but then again I don't like Scott too...

The part I hated was when Rouge got herself the vaccine. So you can't touch your boyfriend? La dee da! It doesn't matter because your going to have some on and off against romance with Gambit!

I guess I only feel disappointed in the film because I really miss Gambit. I know I'm a bit obsessed, and I knew he wouldn't make it in the film but come on! If they could afford to buy all that blue paint and hair for the Beast, they can't even buy some contacts and trench coat for Gambit? I'm sure they could get the contacts on a discount for buying bulk. Now for his coat, I'm sure they still have some in inventory from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
[/spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]X-Men 3 was good over hyped but still good. It was nowhere as good as X1 or X2 but they did a good job with it. I was a little dissapointed with the fight scenes in the movie.In X2 the best battle would have had to be between Wolverine and Deathstrike it would be hard to top that. I also felt the fight with Juggernaut was very anticlimatic. I also didnt like how they [spoiler] killed Cyclops so fast[/spoiler]. But [spoiler] Profesor X dieing was brillant[/spoiler]. I didnt like how they didnt focus on chacters like Colosuus who should have had a little more depth. like celestial said I really wish they added Gambit he would have been cool.

I thoguht the movie was good but X1 and X2 pawned it. I wouldnt compare it to the other 2 since X3 wasnt even in the same league. A good movie but not worthy of the ones that came before.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Hunter DX][COLOR=DarkGreen']I was a little dissapointed with the fight scenes in the movie.In X2 the best battle would have had to be between Wolverine and Deathstrike it would be hard to top that.[/COLOR][/quote]
I'm inclined to disagree. I thought the Wolverine/Deathstrike fight was overblown, and far too long. I would've been very disappointed if this movie had given us another 50-minute* fight scene because the director fantasizes about Hugh Jackman at night. Besides, I think The Last Stand made up for it with the final [spoiler]X-Men/Brotherhood battle[/spoiler] scene.

*Okay, so I'm being a tad hyperbolic.

[quote name='Manic Webb']I'm inclined to disagree. I thought the Wolverine/Deathstrike fight was overblown, and far too long.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Wow someone complaining about a fight scene being to long thats the first I heard of it. Im usually complaning that fights are way to short.It seems these days fights dont last longer than 2 minutes. I prefer my fight scenes long and brutal. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Hunter DX][COLOR=DarkGreen']Wow someone complaining about a fight scene being to long thats the first I heard of it. Im usually complaning that fights are way to short.It seems these days fights dont last longer than 2 minutes. I prefer my fight scenes long and brutal. [/COLOR][/quote]
Well, it just felt a little... gratuitous. Aside from the fact that Yuriko stood there and intimidated the audience for the first 2 hours, there was really nothing building up to their battle. Granted, it was a good fight. However, I felt that subtracting a minute out of that fight and adding to Jean & Scott's fight would've been nice. Cyclops disappeared in the first act, and what do we get when he returns? Three zaps.

Plus, I'm a regular comic book reader, and I (like most Marvel readers) am tired of Wolverine getting overexposed. There was actually a point in the comics where Wolverine was on Cyclops' team, Storm's team, Havok's team, the Avengers, had his own solo comic, and was making frequent cameos in Spider-Man's books. At the same time. So whenever I watch X2 again, I actually die a little inside when I remember just how much that movie centers around Wolverine.

All I will say of this movie atm (I will but a more detailed opinion on it tomorrow because it is like 3 am here)

First off... I enjoyed the movie but not really to the extent of the first one. Second one I agree Maniac that the whole revolving around Wolverine was annoying. Not to mention it seemed that the Last stand also revolved again mostly around Wolverine.

I was pissed off to say the least that they gave Collossus such a small role. He said one line... ONE [color=red]*****[/color] LINE!

If anyone say the short clip after the credits you all know what I mean by... That son of a b....

Again I will clean this up and make a decent Post just let me have a good night's sleep and I'll get to it.

[size=1][color=red]Watch your language, Chef. This is your first and last warning.

-Shy[/color][/size]

[quote name='Manic Webb']Well, it just felt a little... gratuitous. Aside from the fact that Yuriko stood there and intimidated the audience for the first 2 hours, there was really nothing building up to their battle. Granted, it was a good fight. However, I felt that subtracting a minute out of that fight and adding to Jean & Scott's fight would've been nice. Cyclops disappeared in the first act, and what do we get when he returns? Three zaps.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Cyclops is one of the most important Xmen yet in every movie hes given such a minor role.He dissapears throguhout the first 3/4 of Xmen 2 and he [spoiler] dies 15 minutes into X3[/spoiler][/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Plus, I'm a regular comic book reader, and I (like most Marvel readers) am tired of Wolverine getting overexposed. There was actually a point in the comics where Wolverine was on Cyclops' team, Storm's team, Havok's team, the Avengers, had his own solo comic, and was making frequent cameos in Spider-Man's books. At the same time. So whenever I watch X2 again, I actually die a little inside when I remember just how much that movie centers around Wolverine.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Amen. Wolverine has had a guest cameo in just about every new Marvel comic. Marvels under the impression if they put Wolvy in every issue people will buy. Im not crazy about Wolverines solo comics. I much prefer him as a member of the Xmen. The movies put to much focus on him. In fact X2 was going to be called "Wolverines origin".Good thing they changed it.[/COLOR]

[font=trebuchet ms]Short post: loved it, but it needed more Gambit. Or any Gambit at all.

Longer post: but having said that, any Gambit would probably leave me going "they got him so wrong!" Now, people have mentioned Psylocke, who I also like, but which one was she? I didn't notice her name mentioned, and I didn't notice any telekinetics / psychic swords amongst the ranks of either side.

Overall I really enjoyed the film, and [spoiler]Xavier dying[/spoiler] was incredibly well done - came right out of left field! But Magneto's "What have I done?" ranks up there with Vader's "NoooooOOOOOoooooo" as one of the cheesiest, worst-delivered lines ever. I expect better of Sir Ian. And certain characters seemed to have been slotted in to please fans and given no real role in the story. Warren, I'm looking at you. If that's what would have happened to Gambit, I'm glad he wasn't in it.

Finally, Vinnie Jones deserves a mention for being brilliant. For some reason I was sure they'd have made him put on an accent, so when he opened his mouth and started [strike]chewing gravel[/strike] talking uber-Cockney I almost jumped for joy.

[spoiler]"You wanna let me aht of 'ere, I need a pee!"[/spoiler][/font]

[QUOTE=celestialcharm][COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Book Antiqua]

Now what I thought of the film: [spoiler]The beginning was so confusing! You know how they said 20 years before, then 10 years before? Did they means 10 years after the 20 years before or the the middle of the 20 years before?! Why did they have to be so confusing! [/spoiler]

][/QUOTE]

They meant 20 years before the film begins. Then it went to 10 years before the film began. Just thoguht Id clear that up.