OtakuBoards

X-Men: The Last Stand

Manic Webb

I won't be seeing this movie for another few days, but dag-nabbit, look at this avatar! If I don't start this thread, nobody will. For now, talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic...

[size=5][b]X-MEN: THE LAST STAND[/b][/size]
[b]Starring:[/b] Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Famke Janssen, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry
[b]Director:[/b] Brett Ratner ([i]Rush Hour, Red Dragon[/i])
[b]Written by:[/b] Zak Penn ([i]X2: X-Men United[/i]), Simon Kinberg ([i]Fantastic Four[/i])
[b]Premise:[/b] The X-Men are back in an all-new adventure! When a leading pharmaceutical company discovers a way to permanently suppress the mutation process, mutants around the world must decide whether or not they want to take this so-called "cure." Magneto, of course, has already made his decision, and will not have a repeat of the Holocaust. Things come to a boil when a certain X-Man returns to the fold, more powerful than ever. Watch how things conclude in the end of the [i]X-Men[/i] film trilogy.

And... DISCUSS!

[color=teal][size=1]I shall wait a week or so before I start ranting and raving about what I loved and such seeing as not that many people have seen it yet and my post would basically be one big spoiler but what I do have to say is that this film is [b]AMAZING[/b], I loved it. There are funny bits, intense bits, loving bits and a whole lot more besides and plenty of suprises.

Kelsey Grammer is perfect as Beast, Daniel Cudmore should just fight and not talk (heh), the same goes for Vinnie Jones and Magneto truly is the Master of Magnetism.

I recommend this to any X-Men fan, comic book fan and general movie goer.[/size][/color]

[size=1]I saw it last night, and loved it. Like Jokopoke, I'm not going to get into detail until people see it. I will say the graphics rocked my socks, Juggernaut pwns, and Angel is hot. The Beast was freakin' awesome!! Manic, you're going to be so happy :)

The movie seemed a bit to fast-paced in my opinion, and I think that's my only complaint. Despite that, it had me on the edge of my seat going "Oh *****!! OH MY GOD! Sweet action!! ......nooooo~~!!"

Bottom line, great movie. I'm very happy with it :)[/size]

Sweet action, yes, but not much else... :/ I loved the Phoenix-part of the storyline, but there were also too many extra characters just floating around to be of significance in only one scene ([spoiler]Angel, Multiple Man, Kitty, Rogue, Cyclops, Moira MacTaggert[/spoiler]) as if only to appease fans of the series by making an appearance.

The bad guys (except Magneto) were a brainless bunch of cannon fodder, and I can't say that the good guys were developed much either.

It felt like the makers couldn't fit all the additional "spices" to the central plot in an excusable way, so they just threw it all in.

So storywise, it left much to be yearned, but to those who favor flashy action scenes and heroic deeds (and I'm not saying they're bad qualities for films, I just want something more) will surely be pleased with this movie. The fights, the masks, the stunts, the explosions, the special effects (like [spoiler]Magneto moving the Golden Gate Bridge[/spoiler]) and such were all superb.

The actors were also top-notch, many big names in there, but as said, many of them could've used a little more substance in their characters to work with.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Just back from the late night screening and first off I really would like to thank Bill and Annie for raising my hopes about how good this film was, guys I have to admit I wasn't expecting too much and this had me on the edge of my seat. It's hard to articulate exactly how I feel about the movie, on the one hand it is incredibly loyal to the source material while bringing a new sense of depth and reality to the whole thing. All the acting choices were perfect in my mind, Vinny Jones left me in stitches more than once, and who else but Kelsey Grammer could play the role of Beast. As with Bill I'm going to avoid even talking about the spoilers until more people have seen it, but people prepare to grip the end of your seat for all it's worth, this is one roller coaster ride.

My only real complaint, it ended and I seemingly missed an important scene after the credits.[/SIZE]

I just saw it this afternoon myself and I too was quite pleased with how it turned out. The ending was particularly good, I say this for those who waited through the credits for the little tid bit at the end. A nice twist to the ending. For those who haven't seen it yet, sit through the credits. If you don't you'll miss out on a nice little turn of events.

[color=dimgray] Just watched it today I loved it. I wasn't expecting some sort of quality film, but it was great in terms of entertainment. I was sort of put off by the fact that [spoiler]Rogue basically becomes unimportant in this film[/spoiler], but then again I didn't really care for Rogue much in the first place. >_>

I loved Magneto, though. Yes, I know he's an evil bastard, but [spoiler]that last scene with him alone at the chess thing was very, very sad for me. I was happy when he managed to move that chess piece. :D[/spoiler]

As for the thing after the credits: [spoiler]what does this mean? How the heck did Charles come back and does this mean there's another movie? [/spoiler][/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray]
As for the thing after the credits: [spoiler]what does this mean? How the heck did Charles come back and does this mean there's another movie? [/spoiler][/color][/QUOTE]

Don't you remember the [spoiler]video Xavier showed to the pupils in the classnear the beginning of the movie? The one where Moira MacTaggert told about the possibility of transferring a mind into a vegetable-state body? There's your answer. ;D[/spoiler]

And it does seem to hint of a possibility of a sequel. Well, who am I kidding; there's [I]always[/I] going to be a sequel as long as there are those who will go to watch it! ;P

Generally liked the movie, if you're looking for faithfulness to the comics, well, you should know better. I though there were too many subplots that weren't dealt with very well, though a few may be dealt with in future movies.

This movie is successful just because [SPOILER]They got in the line "Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, *****!"[/SPOILER]

[spoiler]I can't wait to see Rogue get her powers back, that scene could be made [I]really[/I] funny. So could what happens if mystique gets her powers back, for that matter[/spoiler]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I saw this movie Friday night and personally, I liked it. All throughout the day, I had heard mixed reviews. Some said it was horrible while others said it was great and others said it was somewhere in the middle. So going into the movie, I really had no idea what to expect.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]I thought it was good though. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who hasn't seen it but this should be enough to get my point across - there was a couple of awesome moments that I really didn't expect.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]And of course, my friends and I who went had all seen the [spoiler]"Juggernaut B****" clip many times so hearing that in the movie was a great moment[/spoiler] :)[/color][/font]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I saw this film a couple of nights ago. I certainly liked it...probably about as much as X-Men 2. The first X-Men was okay, but I really wanted the series to get into the meat of the story - the introductory aspect to the first X-Men made it somewhat boring for me, being someone who is already familiar with the franchise.

There were many things that I feel they got right with X-Men 3. For one thing, I think they handled the [spoiler]Pheonix[/spoiler] sub-plot quite well, especially considering the amount of stuff they had to pack into the length of the film. The sub-plot also added to the generally apocalyptic nature of the film, which certainly added to the overall atmosphere.

When I really think about it, I think the main reason why I enjoy these films is simply the actors - I like pretty much all of them and they all interact incredibly well on screen. I can think of few movies in recent times where I've seen actors who seem to have such strong established relationships. The only actor who occasionally annoyed me was probably Halle Berry (I keep getting the impression that she's injected herself into a larger role as a result of tantruming...which certainly doesn't keep it true to the comic or the cartoon series).

Special-effects wise, X-Men 3 also really introduced some totally new effects [spoiler]such as the CG-skin modification used on Patrick Steward and Ian McKellen to make them appear younger[/spoiler] and generally all of these new techniques were handled very well.

I suppose my only disappointment isn't so much with the film itself...it's more with the idea that this might be the last X-Men film. Can anyone confirm that? Based on the events of the film and based on its title...I'd imagine so. I guess that disappoints me simply because there are so many fantastic X-Men plotlines that may simply never be shown in a film. And given how well this series has been handled in general in its film conversion, that's a disappointing thought.

Although, apparently there's going to be a Magneto prequel, which would be good, especially if Ian McKellen plays himself as a younger man (using the technique mentioned earlier).

One thing I enjoyed about the film was that the subject of "curing" mutation reminded me a lot of those nutty groups in the US who want to "cure" homosexuality. I liked that the film raised the idea that there isn't actually a need for a cure and that there are multiple sides to the story. I felt that this X-Men really had a strong parallel to that particular issue, where the previous films seem more obviously centered around racism and general prejudice. So of course, I enjoyed that aspect of it, and I hope it illustrated the issue more clearly for those who may not have much of an understanding of it.

All-in-all, I'm disappointed to see the series end, but I thought that X-Men 3 was a pretty good way to go out. Not a perfect movie - it had a couple of pacing issues and such - but I think it did a pretty good job in terms of what it set out to achieve. I hope they release a box set of the trilogy, as I'll probably be picking that up.

Edit: Gah, I missed the end credits![/font]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']I suppose my only disappointment isn't so much with the film itself...it's more with the idea that this might be the last X-Men film. Can anyone confirm that? Based on the events of the film and based on its title...I'd imagine so. I guess that disappoints me simply because there are so many fantastic X-Men plotlines that may simply never be shown in a film. And given how well this series has been handled in general in its film conversion, that's a disappointing thought.[/font][/quote]
With the money this film is raking in ($107million on opening weekend), I'm counting on FOX producing one last X-Men film. Of course, it seems unlikely that some of the principle cast will return, so who knows?

There is a Wolverine spin-off in the works, as well as a Magneto prequel. Zak Penn has been signed to script a third spin-off movie, but there's no word on what it'll be about. There are some rumors that it'll be about the students at the mansion.

[size=1][color=slategray] *Tries extra hard not to read the spoilers*

I watched the first two X-Men movies today to prepare myself to go see it. I'm not sure when it's supposed to get to our theaters (small towns are awful when it comes to getting movies... especially if you only have three screening rooms in the theater... >.<) but, considering it's a widely anticipated film, I'm sure it'll come soon. In fact... it might be here right now. Haven't been out of the house since summer vacation started. I'll have to check our theater's listings.

ANYWAY. When I saw the trailer I totally spazzed out, it took forever for them to finally finish this. They had me worried for awhile. But it looks worth the wait. I saw some sneak peeks today (thank you FX) and simply cannot wait. The special effects for this installment give me the impression that this night out will be a feast for my eyes. Plus, I just can't wait to see my beloved NightCrawler again.

I'll be back when I've seen it, I'm sure.[/color][/size]

Incredible. I love movies with awesome CGI and X3 didn't dissapoint. I think I actually jumped up with a resounding jump of approval when [spoiler] Magneto moved the Godlen Gate Bridge over to Alcatraz, goodness that was an incredible scene.
The de-ageing done to Xavier and Magneto and the beginning of the movie was, how can I put this, groovy? It's the kind of stuff I'm almost expecting to see in Indy Jones 4 :p[/spoiler]

[quote name='james']One thing I enjoyed about the film was that the subject of "curing" mutation reminded me a lot of those nutty groups in the US who want to "cure" homosexuality. I liked that the film raised the idea that there isn't actually a need for a cure and that there are multiple sides to the story. I felt that this X-Men really had a strong parallel to that particular issue, where the previous films seem more obviously centered around racism and general prejudice. So of course, I enjoyed that aspect of it, and I hope it illustrated the issue more clearly for those who may not have much of an understanding of it.[/quote]

Interesting, I did not think of it in this way but you do have a pretty good point there. I connected a parallel more towards Nazi Germany and thier attitudes toward creating their master race. If I had to pick what was going through magneto's mind when he gave his gettysburg-esque rant, I'd say that would be it considering that [spoiler] Magneto has survived the death camps at Auschwitz.[/spoiler]

Magneto fanboy needs to make corrections, so here goes. :)
Magneto's not a heartless bastard, he's seen it all before and he'll be damned before he sees mutant-kind go through what he had to go through. Magneto's decisions leave a lot to be desired, he's not adverse to killing those who stand in his way, even if they are mutants themselves, and he does not hold human life in much regard, but at the same time, he's been given no real reason to other than Xaviers' re-assertion that they can co-exist. Humanity, through Magneto's eyes, is out to exterminate and/or opress mutant kind, much like the Nazi's, and although Magneto's actions are questionable, his motivation is not.

[spoiler] Perhaps the most interesting scene is Mangeto moving the chess piece right at the end, after apparently losing all his powers. You could say that either the cure was temporary, or it simply did not work on Mangeto/wasn't strong enough.

The second option there gives rise to more spceulation, because you've got to ask, why would Magneto pretend to have lost his power? It's obvious toward the end that he regretted ulocking Jean Greay and unleashing "The Phoenix" So I doubt that stopping Wolverine from dealing to her was high on his priority list. Magneto knows his enemy, he knows they "have learnt" and are using plastic weapons, but most of all he knows that, as Magneto, he's not going to get out of there unless he's in custody, but as a powerless, frail Erik Lensherr, they might take pity, leave him on his way, and perhaps one day he will reverse the cure/lead another resistance. [/spoiler]Something to think about anyway, for possible sequels sake.

[color=teal][size=1][spoiler]Well think about this: Those cure darts all had metal tips right, now who's to say that Magneto didn't stop them seconds before the entered him so they just got stuck in the fabric of his uniform but of course he had to keep up the pretence of being "cured" so he has to lie low for a little bit and was just moving the chess piece as some excersise, heh.[/spoiler]

Well with that theory out of the way I can say what I liked about the film now.

[spoiler]The bit that pretty much floored me was the "death" of Xavier it was something utterly unexpected so I was kind of in shock for a second or two. Ian McKellen was Magneto was fantastic as usual especially in his acting out the stain of moving the Golden Gate Bridge, just fantastic. I also liked the fact that we saw Wolvie's adamantium more in this film because really the bullet in X2 should've done what the shrapnel did in the Danger Room *PING*.

Loved almost all of the new characters, personally didn't find the film versions of Callisto, Arclight or Psylocke but meh.[/spoiler] I'll come back when I think of more and so you can all mull over my little theory.[/size][/color]

Hmmmmm, that is a good theory Jokopoko. But if you recall.[spoiler] Magento was busy with Wolverine at the time, then Beast jumped at him from behind and he didn't know about it until it was too late. But what I just thoguht of, that goes with your theory is: maybe he was hit with them, but after they hit him he slid them out a little to do less "damage"[/spoiler]

[SIZE=1]I was thoroughly unimpressed with this movie.

To me it was way to bitty and things just didn't seem to gel well. They spend the first two movies introducing the characters and working the storyline [spoiler] and then they get rid of half of the characters and introduce completely new ones[/spoiler] All the new characters such as Juggernaught and Angel have very small parts compared to what I was expecting. [spoiler]Kitty whom we haven't properly met previously completely takes over Rogues role[/spoiler], Rogue the one whom, besides Wolverine and Jean is pretty much the basis behind the first and second movies.

Beast was good but again I wasn't completely satisfied with his part either and what was that whole stuff about [spoiler]previously being part of the team[/spoiler] that just seemed something really significant to simply gloss over.

[spoiler]Scott's death was way to abrupt and pointless and considering Jean was Magneto's ultimate weapon she did very little until the last possible second[/spoiler].

There was an amazing multitude of cheesey, badly scripted cliché lines also, mainly towards the end

[spoiler]Magneto: What have I done?! (I can't believe Ian Mackellen delivered such an emotionless line)

Jean: Would you die for them?
Wolverine: No I'd die for you (oh please)
[/spoiler]

And I'm just wondering [spoiler]why the hell they didn't just throw the kid at Jean instead of Wolverine going all suffering hero.[/spoiler]

Having said that there were some things I liked. Kitty had an excellent performance, despite my previous gripes about her role, especially [spoiler]when she is running through walls from Juggernaught a la Levi[/spoiler] I think Collossus' part was just right, and there was a bit of a geeky moment when he [spoiler]performed the fast ball special with Wolverine[/spoiler] Though it seemed to be that [spoiler] two guys relying heavily on metal going against Magneto seemed rather pointless, though it was not acted upon by the great magnetic one[/spoiler]

Sufficed to say, I think it could have been much better. Bah I'm getting so disenchanted with comic book movies at the moment.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Doukeshi][SIZE=1]

And I'm just wondering [spoiler]why the hell they didn't just throw the kid at Jean instead of Wolverine going all suffering hero.[/spoiler]
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Well, Jean/[spoiler]Phoenix was damn near obliterating everything that came near her, throwing the kid at her would have been pointless since the kid would have been disintergrated well before he even got near her. Wolverine was only able to get to her through all of that because of his quick regeneration and the Adamantium. The lines were cheezy, sure, but I don't feel that detracted away from the climax too badly.

Another thing to think about concerning the Magneto is not really disempowered theory: What if those "cure" vials had been empty?[/spoiler]

The movie was cool, we saw it at 12:01 am so the hardcore fans were there.

It was entertaining but the whole thing was a trailer. It was too rushed and choppy.

It just felt like a long preview.

The Magneto and Wolverine spinoffs will probably have the same problem. As if Wolverine didn't get enough of his life explained in the first two. They focus so much on him its a little annoying.

[quote name='Rurouni922][spoiler'] Guess four darts wasnt enough :3[/spoiler][/quote]

I don't believe [spoiler]that Magneto was the only one who got his powers back (and I don't think he faked losing them in the first place either). I'm pretty confident that in the possible sequel we will see Rogue's and Mystique's powers returning as well, with devastating results.

Why do I think this? Well, remember that the boy's (Leech) power nullified mutations only temporarily within certain radius (eg. Beast's hand's hair grew right back when he pulled it back from the boy). So why would a vaccine made out of the boy's genes work any differently?[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Sandy]I don't believe [spoiler]that Magneto was the only one who got his powers back (and I don't think he faked losing them in the first place either). I'm pretty confident that in the possible sequel we will see Rogue's and Mystique's powers returning as well, with devastating results.

Why do I think this? Well, remember that the boy's (Leech) power nullified mutations only temporarily within certain radius (eg. Beast's hand's hair grew right back when he pulled it back from the boy). So why would a vaccine made out of the boy's genes work any differently?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
[size=1][spoiler]This is true. Also, it should be noted that this alleged 'cure' had been mostly untested prior to its use on Mystique, Magneto, etc. There is a throwaway line by Angel's father about how it's important for his son to be "the first." So, yeah, this cure obviously isn't as reliable as they led people to believe.[/spoiler]

-Shy[/size]

[size=1][color=slategray]Okay, I just saw it last night. I thought it was great, but for some reason it didn't give me the same feeling as the two previous movies. I was a little disappointed that NightCrawler wasn't present at all throughout the movie. I mean, where the hell did he teleport off to? I have to agree with a lot of you on the whole character thing. I mean, the third movie sort of defeated the whole purpose of building up the story before with Rogue and such. I felt that she was just completey booted out of the picture. I liked it, but it left me feeling... unfulfilled.

I just KNEW that [spoiler]Charles would come back as that man-man in the hospital bed. The way he was talking about it in class and sort of the concentrated look he had on his face when he was being obliterated by Phoenix-Jean. I wasn't all too surprised by that, and I was just like... "Yeah, go Charles."[/spoiler]

Whenever Jean[spoiler] did the whole Phoenix thing[/spoiler] her look reminded me heavily of Dunmer off of the Elder Scrolls games. XD

Well... er... *hugs X-Men* that's all I really have to say. [spoiler]I'm guessing there's a fourth one?[/spoiler] But I thought it was only supposed to be a trilogy. (By the way, what is it with trilogies, anyway? XP)[/color][/size]

[size=1]I just witnessed the marvel that is X-Men 3 today (no pun intended). I truly enjoyed this movie, from start to finish. Even though some people (cough*Will*cough) had built it up for me a lot over the past few days, it didn't disappoint. The special effects were spectacular, to say the least, and the characters were decently portrayed, even if Daniel Cudmore (aka Colossus) irritated me with his non-Russianness.

The fact that Rogue was removed from the story didn't really annoy me so much. It seemed that she had gotten her moment in the sun in the first movie, and I guess a little in the second as well, so it was time for her to step aside and let some other characters (ie Kitty) get a moment in the limelight.

The Pyro-Iceman fight, while a little on the short side, did allow Iceman to get out his [spoiler]ice-armour![/spoiler] I've been waiting for that one through all three movies. Although, with my whinge about the fight being on the short side, I'm not sure they could have fleshed it out much more really.

As for Professor X [spoiler]coming back from the dead, I find it hard to believe he won't, after I stayed (much to the annoyance of my friend) to the end of the credits to watch the small scene about Charles transferring his consciousness into the body of a comatose man. Even though Patrick Stewart's voice did sound wrong coming out of someone else's mouth.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]And the theories about Magneto's powers returning? Well, there was always going to be some doubt about him ever losing his powers in the first place, wasn't there? I mean, uber-powerful mutant like Magneto losing his powers permanently? That was never gonna happen, not if there's a fourth film on the horizon.[/spoiler]

[/size][color=teal][size=1][color=#000000][/color][/size][/color] [QUOTE]Originally posted by [b]Jokopoko[/b][color=teal][size=1][color=#000000]
[spoiler]Well think about this: Those cure darts all had metal tips right, now who's to say that Magneto didn't stop them seconds before the entered him so they just got stuck in the fabric of his uniform but of course he had to keep up the pretence of being "cured" so he has to lie low for a little bit and was just moving the chess piece as some excersise, heh.[/spoiler][/color]
[/size][/color][/QUOTE] [size=1]Wrong.[spoiler]The darts didn't have metal tips. The soldiers were ordered specifically not to have any metal of any sort on them, and I would assume that meant the darts were entirely made of a non-metal substance. Also, if the darts were metal-tipped why didn't Magneto stop them when there was a mahoosive barrage of them coming from that multi-dart sprayer thing that fired out of the rocket launchers? He had to put up a shield made of two pieces of the Golden Gate Bridge instead.[/spoiler]

But I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade. I just loved the film, and maybe I'm over-analysing it too much. Or maybe I just want to prove Will wrong ;)

But however you look at it, we will always have a great X-Film on the DVD rack in future now.
[/size]

[QUOTE=Doukeshi][SIZE=1]And I'm just wondering [spoiler]why the hell they didn't just throw the kid at Jean instead of Wolverine going all suffering hero.[/spoiler]

Having said that there were some things I liked. Kitty had an excellent performance, despite my previous gripes about her role, especially [spoiler]when she is running through walls from Juggernaught a la Levi[/spoiler] I think Collossus' part was just right, and there was a bit of a geeky moment when he [spoiler]performed the fast ball special with Wolverine[/spoiler] Though it seemed to be that [spoiler] two guys relying heavily on metal going against Magneto seemed rather pointless, though it was not acted upon by the great magnetic one[/spoiler][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

how would they throw leech that far? They can't use their powers, remember? Even the strongest of them can't throw a scared kid that far with any hope of positive results without powers. I don't understand why Kitty didn't just walk up to magneto holding a dart, stick it into him, let go of it, and walk away.

I heard somewhere that one guy was signed on through X-5, I'll try to find the link

EDIT
here it is, Vinnie Jones [URL=http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=3776]signed for X-Men 3, 4,5[/URL]