OtakuBoards

Otaku Television [Open For Discussion]

Dragon Warrior

The idea came when discussing webcams with James on AIM. An idea was somehow formed that The Otaku could have scheduled shows on the web (using webcams) done by various Otaku members. Using something like NetMeeting, as James suggested, a member would broadcast a show for all to see using his/her webcam and microphone.

The show can basically be anything. An Otaku News Program, a comedy show, a talk show, whatever. Any member can do it as long as they have the right equipment. The thing about NetMeeting is, to view the show, you need to have it, but we believe that every Windows user already has it installed when you get Windows.

A thread would most likely be formed with all the information needed such as show times and links to the shows. The thread would also be open to members to discuss, suggest stuff, and give feedback on the shows they watch. So like the title of this thread suggests, it'll be like we have an OtakuBoards TV. Now I know it's inconvenient for those who are in different time zones. You may miss watching someone's show, but unless that person tapes their show and does a rerun, it's a sad misfortune.

This idea is completely open to discussion and suggestions. It's an early idea, but I believe it could work out pretty nicely if we get some good talents goin' in on it. Comments...

There is such thing as Internet Radio and we were planning on doing that around a year ago or so, but it didn't happen. It's actually more complicated to do that than this idea. But nevertheless, you don't have to be on camera, you know. You could put things in front of the camera and just talk. Possibly a your show's logo could be there or other things. Whatever. The possibilities are large.

[size=1]I thought that Podcasting (only audio) was relatively easy ... all you need is a microphone and some standard software.

In any event, what type of hub would be used? A separate site, a thread where you post links to the files, something else? If it's just linking to the uploaded file, I would imagine a Podcast to be easier than a NetMeeting.[/size]

Most likely threads will be made with links as I said before. But doesn't Podcasting require an I-Pod to do the show? (And am I really that ignorant to ask that question?) If so, not everyone has an I-Pod. Netmeeting everyone has unless you deleted it. That's why it's more simpler. But we could always expand it probably so both webcam users and I-Pod users could do shows.

[size=1]No, you don't need an iPod to do it. The term was just coined when people used the microphone on it to record some stuff and transfered it to the computer, I believe. It's just a general term used, much like how iPod has become synonymous with MP3 player.[/size]

[size=1]Even better then. I guess we could do it either way, depending on what type of show you want to do and which way is easier for you to do it. Of course, viewers/listeners will have to tune in different ways to watch what shows are their favorites. Does thjis mean you may want to do a show, Retribution? ;)[/size]

[SIZE=1]Retri could be our resident critic. You know, like the ones who don't seem to like [I]anything[/I]. (I kid, Retri, I kid.)

I think this is a lovely llittle idea. It could form itself into all manner of things, really. I was wondering, hypothetically speaking, of course: What if someone recorded a talk show, or interview of sorts, with another OB member. If one member had Flash they could animate it, couldn't they? As an amusing little project, I guess. I was wondering if that would be possible because I'm planning on getting Flash and would love to do somehting like that.

Regardless, I really like this idea. It'll be a great way to strengthen the community and get to know other members.[/SIZE]

Yeah, I have Flash. Great little tool and fun to use :) I'm sure if you wanted to, that could be another form of OtakuTV. I like how it's expanding into all forms of media from flash animations to webcam to podcast. I'd definitely like to see this thing take different paths to accomodate everyone's computer capabilities.

I, myself, am not sure where I'd go. I make Flash animations, so I could do stuff there, but I'd also like to do the webcam show. Nevertheless, sounds like we need a website perhaps to put everything on there because these flashes will need a place to be hosted.

[size=1][b]@ Dragon Warrior:[/b] Sure, I'll do a show. I have a microphone and the standard software (Windows Sound Recorder, found in Start > Accessories > Entertainment). Give me a few days, as in at least until Tuesday, to record my stuff and get it up. I have one final and one project left, and once those are out of the way, it's summer.

[b]@ Ezekiel:[/b] It's funny because it's true. I suppose I should work on my positive reinforcement when critiquing, shouldn't I? Perhaps it's something I could talk about.[/size]

Heh, that would be cool. A critic show. But you gotta remember, people will sometimes hate critics ;) But I'm sure you're the kind of guy who takes everything with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, I'm not even sure we'll have this idea up and running by Tuesday. We're only just starting the planning stages. We still need to decide if we want to form one massive thread or several threads or a website or what for it.

[SIZE=1]It's funny because I was just thinking about something like this after browsing through youtube. After much thought, I would think a radio show would be much easier then a web cam seeing as how not everyone has one and that it would take a lot to upload (unless live which would be a lot more stressful). However, I really love this idea and glad it came up.

I think a weekly radio show would be perfect, a great example would be [URL=http://www.simkastradio.com/]this[/URL] in which a radio station simply uses winamp. If we were to do something like this, I'd definately could see myself doing an advice-like show giving crazy advice. That, and retribution's ramblings would entertain me. Great idea DW, I'll be looking forward to hearing more about this project. [/SIZE]

I already mentioned before radio shows were a consideration a long time ago. Radio shows using Winamp and such are actually far more difficult than doing a webcam show (and yes, it'd be live probably due to size and it's be simpler). There's more to it than just getting the program shoutCAST and Winamp to do the radio show. Trust me. James and I have already gone through it :P

[FONT=Arial]The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do it. I absolutely love making satirical short movies, which, more often than not, contain spoofs of horror movies and such. I would have so much fun making a series of satirical horror shows based on campy classics and whatnot. I really hope this thing can come together, because I'm super eager to work on it! I have a feeling I'd call it "Hallowe'en Cinema," and I'd bring my sisters and friends into the works to peak the plot of each show.

=D! Count me in![/FONT]

Heh, to do that kind of show, you'd have a lot of work cut out for yourself. I'm sure you wouldn't want to do the show live (the work for that would be insane and stressful), but if you can film it and broadcast it, I'm all for it. It may even be easier to just do the radio show with webcam doing a horror show, but it's completely up to you.

I'd like for us to have a vivid variety.

[FONT=Arial]I'm afraid it wouldn't be live, because I don't have the proper equipment to do that sort of thing with sound. I'm pretty sure I have NetMeeting on the main computer, but I can't check right now.

My movies hardly ever have a defined script. Improv can make for a fantastic show. >=D[/FONT]