OtakuBoards

New Rap=Hair Metal?

Panache

Has anyone but me noticed the simlarities between all this new rap garbage and hair metal? I mean basically the same thing is hapening here as in the 80's. People are coming out of the woodwork and their main goal is to get a vidieo on mtv. Then thy have "made it". But really their music is garbage and has no meaning whatsoever. There are a few less know guys who are real good(like metallica was).
All thats really left is that there has to be an end to it. Just like Nirvana killed hair metal. Does anyone agree with me or si this some dumb conspiracy?

[COLOR=Sienna]No, you're correct - that's exactly it, and it is with almost all new bands. "Who cares if you can't play guitar, just pretend like you're playing in a MTV Music Video and no one will question us!" At least Hair Metal had the occasional good song now and then.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Avenged666fold']All thats really left is that there has to be an end to it. Just like Nirvana killed hair metal. Does anyone agree with me or si this some dumb conspiracy?[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]
As long as there's money, there won't be an end to rap or MTV. It's what everyone wants and if you can appeal to millions of people, it's easy to get.

And Nirvana wasn't hair metal. Hair metal applies to bands like Guns N' Roses, ZZTop, the Scorpions, Heart, etc. Nirvana was alternative at their time, and I don't know if they were called grunge then or only now. Nirvana and Pearl Jam are examples of grunge, I believe.[/FONT]

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Well I was talking about rap more specifically but I guess it can be used on other genres(The only genre that it bothers me in is rap though). Oh and name one good hair metal song.[/quote]

[FONT=Arial]I particularly like "Love is a Battlefield" and "Barracuda" by Heart. I consider them hair metal, because they came from the eighties and had hair. But my definition of good may not be your definition of good, nor may it be Cygnus'. You don't have to like hair metal, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. [/FONT]

[color=dimgray][size=1]

I think I understand where you're coming from, but can you give me a few examples of what you mean? There are a few groups I have in mind, but I still think I can defend a couple of them.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=Sienna]I think it really depends on what you consider hair (Or glam) metal. Wikipedia has a list of glam metal bands [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_glam_metal_bands]here[/URL], so let's go with that.

From that list, I can name a lot of very good, talented artists. Van Halen, Heart, The Cult, and Def Leppard, for example. The same can't be said for rap, IMO of any time period. [/COLOR]

[color=dimgray][size=1]

I meant new rap groups. I know several Hair Metal bands. I'm just wondering what rappers he means when comparing them to glam rockers. New rap is a very broad term.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Avenged666fold]Has anyone but me noticed the simlarities between all this new rap garbage and hair metal? I mean basically the same thing is hapening here as in the 80's. People are coming out of the woodwork and their main goal is to get a vidieo on mtv. Then thy have "made it". But really their music is garbage and has no meaning whatsoever. There are a few less know guys who are real good(like metallica was).
All thats really left is that there has to be an end to it. Just like Nirvana killed hair metal. Does anyone agree with me or si this some dumb conspiracy?[/QUOTE]
I don't listen to metal, so I fail to see the comparison, but I do have a general idea of what you're talking about. Honestly though, what you're saying is a little old. (Most forums talk about it all the time, and it leads to arguments.... Perhaps that's why I figure it's a little old.) I think ever since the year 2000 came in, rap took a detour, or rather everything they were / are rapping about is the same thing that's been said long ago.... They're just adding they're own style.... (IMO, some are trying to copy others style, but whatever) And I've grown tired of it.

Anyways, as Amelia stated, it's going to sell because people like it. If you don't like it, there's no reason you should sit there trying to force yourself to listen to it, right?

[QUOTE=Amelia][FONT=Arial]
As long as there's money, there won't be an end to rap or MTV. It's what everyone wants and if you can appeal to millions of people, it's easy to get.

And Nirvana wasn't hair metal. Hair metal applies to bands like Guns N' Roses, ZZTop, the Scorpions, Heart, etc. Nirvana was alternative at their time, and I don't know if they were called grunge then or only now. Nirvana and Pearl Jam are examples of grunge, I believe.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I particularly like "Love is a Battlefield" and "Barracuda" by Heart. I consider them hair metal, because they came from the eighties and had hair. But my definition of good may not be your definition of good, nor may it be Cygnus'. You don't have to like hair metal, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. [/FONT][/QUOTE]No no your missing my point. Im saying this particular kind of rap is going to go out of style just like hair/glam metal did. I am not saying mtv should not be taken away at all(although it should focus more on music in my oppinion). I mean all they talk about is this neo rap stuff that is really just dumb. It's pointless and stupid and corny just like(some) hair metal was. Don't get me wrong I like SOME hair metal (def leppard and gunz and roses) just like I like SOME new rap (uhh it'll come to me). There are some goodies out of the bunch but overall the genre is overdone and everyone is just jipping everyone else(im talking abotu rap here). And I am aware Nirvana is not hair metal. I't killed hair metal(or contributed greatly to it). They repalced it with grunge. So I think a new innovative rap group will go and do the same thing with rap. To make it underground again. Oh and im listening to nirvana right now. :D Also I liek a lil of it and im sure other people do like it. Thats fine but you know that it is no where near as popular as it was.

[size=1]I dont understand why when it comes to other genres, everyone is willing to go beyond what they see on TV and look for decent bands and artists. But then when it comes to hiphop they can't be bothered to do the same. Instead everyone generally decides they just have to have a bash at rap because what they see on MTV surely encompasses the whole of rap music.. [i]right[/i].

And to Cygnus, just because you dont appreciate the art it doesnt mean there arent any talented artists within it :)
[/size]

I know exactly where you are coming from, my friend. The redundancy of this popular surge of hip hop is bound to kill it just like the one-fast-song--one-ballad formula eventually wore out glam metal. It's going to be interesting when metal makes a come back to popluar culture.

-Justin

[QUOTE=Avenged666fold]Has anyone but me noticed the simlarities between all this new rap garbage and hair metal? I mean basically the same thing is hapening here as in the 80's. People are coming out of the woodwork and their main goal is to get a vidieo on mtv. Then thy have "made it". But really their music is garbage and has no meaning whatsoever. There are a few less know guys who are real good(like metallica was).
All thats really left is that there has to be an end to it. Just like Nirvana killed hair metal. Does anyone agree with me or si this some dumb conspiracy?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and yet no.

Remember, everyone these days tries to make a music video. It's good advertising.

I personally don't consider hair metal garbage, infact I'd go as far to say I love a lot of hair metal.

As for the end of rap, I think it's coming. You'll notice a sudden rise of crappy emo and hardcore bands. Sadly, that's our future :(

[QUOTE=Prons]

Remember, everyone these days tries to make a music video. It's good advertising.

As for the end of rap, I think it's coming. You'll notice a sudden rise of crappy emo and hardcore bands. Sadly, that's our future :([/QUOTE]
I did not say there is going to be an "end" of rap. More like a reinvention of it. After all not all rap is bad. Just the one on tv. Id go as far to say it is 97% trash(new stuff). Yes there are fans of hair metal. But there are far more critics and think it was lame and corny(which is me). Why? Well they put rock and roll in a formula. Hard song+ballad=$. That should enver be a case. Never ever. If any genre of music is simplified liek that it HAS to die. Rap(mainstream) is doing basically the same thing. Fast club song+gangta song+soft song=$$$. So this genre needs to die. I even thought of a good name. "redundant rap". There we go it even has a catchy name. So now all we need is a inovative new rapper who changes the game. Any takers?

[QUOTE=Prons]Yes, and yet no.

I personally don't consider hair metal garbage, infact I'd go as far to say I love a lot of hair metal.

As for the end of rap, I think it's coming. You'll notice a sudden rise of crappy emo and hardcore bands. Sadly, that's our future :([/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]That's only an indication that MTV is seeing hardcore and emo as more profitable, and says nothing about the end of hip hop. Gangster rap, perhaps, because that horse is well and truly beaten, but apart from that hip hop is very diverse and has a large underground subculture comparable to punk and metal subcultures.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Amelia][font=Arial]As long as there's money, there won't be an end to rap or MTV.[/font][font=Arial'][/font][/quote] I appreciate your non-elitist, open-minded, and thorough examination of the state of rap music! ^.^

But yes, I ditto what AJeh explained so well, and if you don't actually [i]listen[/i] to rap or at least have balanced knowledge of it, then you shouldn't really have an opinion on it. lol

And since the thread's usage of "new rap" seems to have been fleshed out to the uber-mainstream stuff, then, well... why is this genre in particular going to eventually be replaced? [i]All[/i] musical genres and fads are going to be replaced by something new, and all at a pretty equal rate. This newest iteration of mainstream rap won't get replaced any faster than whatever genre of choice you happen to listen to. So no more genre whoring, mmmmkay?