OtakuBoards

Depression

Andrew

Now, I don't normally suffer from this God awful thing that most people call depression (and Lord knows I don't post often enough) but the past few days I've had an uncontrollable amount of depression building.

I've taken to drinking by my lonesome, leaving others so I can be by myself and have been all around irratible. I really don't know what's up!

I'd appreciate stories of your own depression and how you got over your it. Anything would help right now I guess!

Deoression is scary. I have fought this battle plenty of times, often at my own will. It is a difficult thing to analyze, because the cause of depression is so varying.

In any event, try watching Neon Genesis Evangelion all the way through (and make sure it's uncut because I hear CN took some eps out) it helps a lot IMO

Guest mamma DX
Well. depression sucks. I take meds for mine. I've had the "phycological" depression for about a year now. In any case just find something fun to do! Alone or with someone. Preferablywith someone!

Hope it gets better.

[QUOTE=mamma DX]Well. depression sucks. I take meds for mine. I've had the "phycological" depression for about a year now. In any case just find something fun to do! Alone or with someone. Preferablywith someone!

Hope it gets better.[/QUOTE]

I'm no phychiatrist, but I think things like medication where you rely on an outside force to help your emotions is kinda... I dunno... bad. I think you get more out of it if you help yourself. Turn that hell into a learning experience.

[quote name='Tical']I'm no phychiatrist, but I think things like medication where you rely on an outside force to help your emotions is kinda... I dunno... bad. I think you get more out of it if you help yourself. Turn that hell into a learning experience.[/quote][COLOR=Sienna]

Well it depends on the kind of depression. Chemical depression usually results from an imbalance in the brain, and that normally needs outside assistance (i.e meds). Some kinds of depression are purley mental and those can be delt with with a psyciatrist, or sometimes just on your own.

I personally have never gone through depression, because I have a way of getting around it. Whenever I have a reason to be depressed, I just convince myself otherwise. "No, you're not lonley, you're umm... a introvert." "No, you're not getting bad grades because you're stupid, you're getting them because the system keeps screwing YOU over."

Pretty much that's it... I don't get depressed because there's nothing to get depressed about if you convince yourself otherwise. Always thinking of excuses, that's me![/COLOR]

[COLOR=maroon]In my opinion and experience with college peeps I hang out with, people deal with depression in different ways. Most people seem to get out the depression the fastest and the best being around others, talking it out, or just slumming about together. Others, however, get out of depression better themselves, by being alone, giving them a chance to clear their mind, and soring things out.

For me, it depends on the type of depression, but be in the company of my friends helps the most.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna]I personally have never gone through depression, because I have a way of getting around it. Whenever I have a reason to be depressed, I just convince myself otherwise. "No, you're not lonley, you're umm... a introvert." "No, you're not getting bad grades because you're stupid, you're getting them because the system keeps screwing YOU over."

Pretty much that's it... I don't get depressed because there's nothing to get depressed about if you convince yourself otherwise. Always thinking of excuses, that's me![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

i wouldn't call those excuses. They are merely truths you created. As long as you believe them to be true, they are true, correct?

I was depressed for the longest of times for so many different things. I had no friends and it always got to me. My appearance also made things worse, i always thought "ah no one wants and ugly friend like me" and so on.

I didnt have much family learning or school learning so i truely didnt KNOW about certain things like true friendship so things just got worse and worse. I decided i hated the state i lived in (oregon) so i moved to washington under the actually beleife that moving from one place to another and starting fresh would change much. I was quite wrong and right at the same time.

I was wrong thinking i could run from the problems because... they were my problems, where i go there i am... problems and all. I learned that. I also learned that i didnt hate oregon... I hated the way i made life for myself so i learned a great deal about things that way and i wasnt so depressed.

Now i was right because it did change things but not in the way i expected. I met my two little cousins (second or third i dont know... dont care either) both below the age of ten. Mary the older of the two soon became so attached to me everyone thought i was just such a good help to her. I learned after asking that her parents had split up and both were dating again and neither of them had much time for her so she spent most of her time where i lived (at her grandpa and grandmas house)

I was like the big sister she never got to be with (she had one but she is more into her own thing and doesnt spend time with her) and so like Tohru and Kisa I would do something or go somewhere and mary would follow. This wasnt one sided either. For the first time in.. .EVER someone wanted to be around me and follow me and do what i did the way i did it, wanted me to teach them how i drew and so on without even being bothered by my attitudes or looks. She soon became like this little sister to me and jynaa as well, not as much as mary. So after being around them... the depression finally slowly lifted and i was able to move back to oregon, leaving the negativity behind. I visit mary often and we talk on the phone all the time :) matter of fact those girls's names are my next tattoo (i just gotta design it :) )

Not sure how this helps actually but it is kind of my story of how i unexpectedly helped myself by becoming more open with people and letting others in without questioning why they are around. I dont always wonder what someone is up to when the ask me if they want to hang out... i just.. im more open now. And so slowly i have become less and less depressed

[COLOR=Sienna][quote name='Tical]I'm no phychiatrist, but I think things like medication where you rely on an outside force to help your emotions is kinda... I dunno... bad. I think you get more out of it if you help yourself. Turn that hell into a learning experience.[/QUOTE]I think the key word here is that you are not a psychiatrist and in all honesty don?t know what you are talking about. Using drugs may seem bad but as Cygnus X-1 mentioned: [QUOTE=Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna']Well it depends on the kind of depression. Chemical depression usually results from an imbalance in the brain, and that normally needs outside assistance (i.e meds). Some kinds of depression are purley mental and those can be delt with with a psyciatrist, or sometimes just on your own. [/COLOR][/quote]If you have a chemical imbalance going on, no amount of attempting to help yourself is going to change that. Medication is usually the best way to deal with an actual imbalance.

Also to think that anyone is capable of just dealing with depression on their own is kind of a contradiction if you stop and think about it. If people really could deal with it on their own, depression wouldn?t really be much of an issue, as people would be dealing with it already.

Most people when faced with situations that upset them honestly don?t know how to deal with it and that?s where a psychiatrist can make a huge difference as they are trained to help someone find the method that?s most effect in helping the person overcome their depression.

If you are looking for something that doesn?t require medication then there are a number of good self-help books out there. One I would recommend is Feeling Good The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns, M.D. It?s an excellent book that focuses on the use of Cognitive Therapy, which teaches us that by changing the way we think we can alter our moods, with out the use of drugs. So long as there isn?t a chemical imbalance going on, the techniques listed in the book are very effective. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Sienna]Yes changing the way you percieve things and how you think definatly helps. In the last few months especially, I've come to change the way I look at everything. Where once I viewed things as a member of the society (i.e wanting to fit in, wanting to have what other people want, etc.) I've come to view it as an observer. By that I mean that I spend most of my time mentally criticizing the society I live in for being materialistic, shallow, and pathetic, which allows me to mentally sigh in relief that I am NOT extremely popular, thus preventing myself from getting depressed. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][quote name='Andrew]I'd appreciate stories of your own depression and how you got over your it. Anything would help right now I guess![/QUOTE]I've had times when I?ve been terribly depressed. It?s been a long time but I?ve tried a combination of meds, seeing a psychiatrist and reading self-help books. If you don?t have a chemical imbalance going on I would follow indifference?s advice: [QUOTE=indifference][COLOR=Sienna']If you are looking for something that doesn?t require medication then there are a number of good self-help books out there. One I would recommend is Feeling Good The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns, M.D. It?s an excellent book that focuses on the use of Cognitive Therapy, which teaches us that by changing the way we think we can alter our moods, with out the use of drugs. So long as there isn?t a chemical imbalance going on, the techniques listed in the book are very effective. [/COLOR][/quote]I have that book and it?s been the key factor in helping me to fight depression. I?d have to post pages to properly explain how much that book helped me get over being depressed. If you?ve already seen a psychiatrist and know you don?t need meds, I?d definitely go and get a copy of that book. It?s a whole lot cheaper than going to a shrink and in many ways it was far more effective. At least for me it was. [/COLOR]

[size=1][color=slategray]I only get depressed here and there, I guess I've had no major problems with it, depending on what you'd call major. I've never exactly met someone that I've connected well with, and I know in the end, everyone I'm remotely attatched to will leave. So, that thought gets me down sometimes. Generally, however, I take a more mellow approach to it. In the end I guess it doesn't really matter. I've had days where that's all I'd think about, and even though I'm used to being more... secluded... it gets, well, depressing.

The only thing I do in those stages is lay around, sleep, eat something irresistibly sugary, and take many lovely showers. Reading yaoi fan fictions lift my spirits, too, as always. :P
Everyone has their own way of dealing with depression, you just need to find yours.

And, remember... "depression hurts." (What medication was that again?)
That commercial makes me laugh for some reason.
>>[/color][/size]

[COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1][quote name='Bláse][size=1][color=slategray]The only thing I do in those stages is lay around, sleep, eat something irresistibly sugary, and take many lovely showers. Reading yaoi fan fictions lift my spirits, too, as always. :P[/color'][/size][/quote]Listen to this girl! Truth is her beotch and is, therefore, absolutely correct. Yesiree!

I do everything Bláse mentioned everytime I get in a slump. It's [i]extremely[/i] important to take things easy 'cause worrying won't really fix things, yeah? When depression sinks in, I cheer myself up by becoming a hedonist 'til I get better. Eat sweet things, wander aimlessly through bazaars and allow myself to wear really clashing prints. [i]Especially[/i] when there's a really major exam, like, on the next day, I like to bum around and spend the day looking at pretty things (the mirror, for example. ;P).

It also helps when I inform people around me that I'm on an emotional low. That way, they'll stay the hell out of my way if I ever, you know, felt the urge to pick on somebody.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I had depression a few months ago. Well it was probably pretty mild compared to other people's cases but it was still terrible for me. It started when everyone at school started assuming that I fancied one of my friends and started spreading rumours that were ludicrously untrue.
I started to wander why it was always me who gets picked on. It's been happening my whole life. I give my friend (whos name is Luke by the way) the occassional friendly hug but so do lots of people. So WHY was it ME that they picked on?!
This lead to me thinking that I was a loser and bad at making friends like everyone else. When school ended and I was on study leave I started feeling better. I guess being away from the people who were making me depressed helped me since now after a month long break everyone's forgotten about those rumours.
My tips for beating depression- 1. Watch anime and comedy to cheer you up. It works wonders. 2. Think carefully and you might realise that the things you think about yourself arn't really true. 3. As the REM song goes 'Take comfort in your friends.' In fact that entire song is good for depression.
Hope this helped at least some of you! :catgirl:

[QUOTE=Andrew]Now, I don't normally suffer from this God awful thing that most people call depression (and Lord knows I don't post often enough) but the past few days I've had an uncontrollable amount of depression building.

I've taken to drinking by my lonesome, leaving others so I can be by myself and have been all around irratible. I really don't know what's up!

I'd appreciate stories of your own depression and how you got over your it. Anything would help right now I guess![/QUOTE]

I think sometimes i could be depressed but i 'm not sure....... u should try to do stuff that makes u happy, like me i like to be on the puter, watch anime, read manga, and i like to draw and be outside, when i feel down i find something that i can vent it on! goodluck!

Well thank you very much guys! All your advice and stories helped a great deal! naturally though, as to be expected of me, I managed to get out of it myself by thinking about the situation, accepting it wasn't really that bad and talking to the main female involved (yep, it's always a woman's fault ¬_¬).

But since it hurt me quite a bit, I'm going to offer the following advice right back at people that find themselves in this terrible position! Don't ever give up on yourself! There's always at least one person out there that loves you, excluding yourself oof course! ^_^

Be confident in what you can achieve and don't let anybody else get you down, life is ours to live our own way!