OtakuBoards

American Anime or Japanese Only??

AnimeHeroX

Hi everyone im trying to get into the anime cartoon and manga business and was wonder just because a anime is made my an american that study the art form do you think that make's any less of an anime :( then if it was made over in japan? :( casue i remember this jerk :mad: who was on g4 and say if it'a not made over in japan it's not an anime :mad: . i know their has to be people who has to have opinion about this. :D I mean how many of us haven't wanted to see your ideas come to anime life or to be made into a great manga :D . like naruto :animesmil , one piece :animestun , or :animeblus girls bravo... these are cult classic to me. but what's your take on this issue? :smirk:

:animesmil good for you. It shouldn't matter what other people say about an anime only being made in japan. if you want to make anime go right ahead. Anime is universal. :cool: its cool to do what you want and dont care what others think of you.

[quote name='AnimeHeroX']Hi everyone im trying to get into the anime cartoon and manga business and was wonder just because a anime is made my an american that study the art form do you think that make's any less of an anime :( then if it was made over in japan? :( casue i remember this jerk :mad: who was on g4 and say if it'a not made over in japan it's not an anime :mad: . i know their has to be people who has to have opinion about this. :D I mean how many of us haven't wanted to see your ideas come to anime life or to be made into a great manga :D . like naruto :animesmil , one piece :animestun , or :animeblus girls bravo... these are cult classic to me. but what's your take on this issue? :smirk:[/quote]

I not only support your goal, but share it as well. As far as the hope factor goes. I'm not great at artwork but i'm an expert at fiction/story writing. As far as the differentiation between japanese and american anime, i personally associate the word anime specifically with japanese animation but it isn't a travesty to use it in a more prevalent manner, but as far as whats conveyed through each they can very well be on equal terms. See my article on anime and the imagination to get a better idea on it, but most any story can be told through both styles of animation despite each one's track record (which i aim to mean that i've enjoyed more japanese animation than american, but there have been some seriously good american animation). Both styles have the same tools and ability to go to the same extent. So don't give up only because other people are telling you what your looking to create dosen't fit under a specific label, rather prove to them that it dosen't matter as long as the talent and drive are in the right place.

[quote name='jijran']:animesmil good for you. It shouldn't matter what other people say about an anime only being made in japan. if you want to make anime go right ahead. Anime is universal. :cool: its cool to do what you want and dont care what others think of you.[/quote]

Truly a great mind. thanks for the reply anime should be for everyone who loves it and really doesn't matter what anyone say's hope you succeed in you endeavors as well. and i hope to hear from more people like you

[quote name='AnimeHeroX']Truly a great mind. thanks for the reply anime should be for everyone who loves it and really doesn't matter what anyone say's hope you succeed in you endeavors as well. and i hope to hear from more people like you[/quote]

Well thank you very much I hope I succeed as well.
:animesmil

Dreams were made to be followed. Its something my dad tought me.

I agree because i belive that anime is a style of animation that originated in japan and anyone who wants to do well in an anime career but is not japanese should.

[COLOR=SeaGreen]Edit:[/COLOR]

Srry about that, everyone. I just got an otaku board. I am a certified noob

[COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1][INDENT][B]mangamaniack21[/B], please do not double post, if you need to add something just use the edit button located in the lower right hand corner of your post. ~Aaryanna[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1][color=slategray]It's okay, mangamaniack21, it gets some taking used to. But, for some friendly advice, next time make use of that edit post button instead of double posting. ^.^

Anyway...
When I was younger I assumed that anime was only and could only be made in Japan. But that's no longer the case.
You see, anime is more of a style, a way of animation that makes it so special. Therefore, it doesn't really matter where it's made. There is a good deal of Americans that make anime, whether it be for their own personal interest, or it's a business. A lot of countries contribute to the growth of anime, too. Korea, France, China, etc.

Sure, it originated in Japan, but it doesn't have to be made there to classify as a real anime/manga. Look at Tokyopop's "Rising Stars of Manga", for example. Hell, I heard even CosmoGirl has been making a little manga lasting one page in every issue of their magazine. I heard it was horrible, though, but that's besides the point. XD

So, sure! Go for it. If you are good at what you do, there is really nothing stopping you. And don't listen to the people who say it's not really anime, they obviously don't know what they're talking about. :)[/color][/size]

Guest Kamero
yes i totally agree

anime is not just for the japanese... anyone should be able to do what they want with this amazing form of expression, people who think that anime can only be made properly in japan are narrow minded, other countries have people just as creative as japan does

feel free to do what you want and don't let anyone stop you (unless its the police :P)

Anime is Japanese animation. So what sense does it make to say"Oh that anime was made in america so it doesn't count." Imagine Hayao Miyazaki saying "Oh no I did the voice overs for my current opus in america now it's not anime!". Really as long as the anime has that it is animated in the Japanese style and has that good old japanese charm then it's anime.

it's nice to know their are so many loyal anime fan out their. it really doesn't matter where an anime is made. i mean as long as a anime is great it really doesn't matter where it comes from. i mean their are a lot of great anime compaines in the USA like funimation, tokyopop, 4kids... although if you make a really violent cartoon i wouldn't suggest going to them because they completely they ruined one-piece. :animecry: but companies like ban-dai are alright. those are partly american companies and they make great anime's anyway thanks for the posts keep'em coming. :D

[quote name='AnimeHeroX']it really doesn't matter where an anime is made. i mean as long as a anime is great it really doesn't matter where it comes from. i mean their are a lot of great aniem compaines i the USA like funimation, tokyopop, 4kids... although if you make a really violent cartoon i would suggest going to them because they completely they ruined one-piece.[/quote]

[size=1]They did ruin One Piece badly They turned it into a children's show when it has too many complex adult issues in it. And I'm furious at them for changing Zoro's name to Zolo. IT'S ZORO DAMN IT!

*clears throat* Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

I agree with most others in this thread that even if the anime isn't from Japan, it can still be anime. Like you, I'm also trying to get into the anime/manga industry but not as a cartoonist. I live in Australia and I want to make Japanese-quality anime here using the wealth of talent here. So if I do achieve this, it wouldn't be anime if anime was classified by its origin.[/size]

[COLOR=Sienna]If you are taking the time to study the culture, the art style that is so prevalent in Japanese anime, then whether or not that anime is created while living in another country besides Japan is irrelevant. Avenged666fold makes a good point, say Hayao Miyazaki moved to America and then proceeded to create more movies? Just because he was living elsewhere it wouldn?t change the fact that his style is definitely Japanese in origin. Arguing over the physical location of the creator is in my opinion mere semantics and meaningless in determining if a story is an anime or not.

Personally I have no desire to create an anime or to have one of my stories turned into one, but I see no reason why others can?t pursue that goal. [/COLOR]