OtakuBoards

Is online love real?

woody

on one hand, you don't know if the person you're talking to is a complete psycho who is just bs-ing you.

but, on the other hand, if you're both being real, it can be very positive. you get to know each other w/out the superficial hang-ups. as long as you let the relationship progress gradually, talking on the phone after awhile & eventually meeting in a safe place, i don't see the problem. you just have to be careful.

i actually went to europe back in january to meet a guy i was talking to online... but after we met we decided to just be friends... it worked out okay, & it was an experience.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B]on one hand, you don't know if the person you're talking to is a complete psycho who is just bs-ing you.

but, on the other hand, if you're both being real, it can be very positive. you get to know each other w/out the superficial hang-ups. as long as you let the relationship progress gradually, talking on the phone after awhile & eventually meeting in a safe place, i don't see the problem. you just have to be careful.

i actually went to europe back in january to meet a guy i was talking to online... but after we met we decided to just be friends... it worked out okay, & it was an experience. [/B][/QUOTE]

You went all the way to europe to meet a guy you talked to on the net?!!? :nope:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NeoCactuar [/i]
[B]

You went all the way to europe to meet a guy you talked to on the net?!!? :nope: [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah, so? i've always wanted to go there. besides, i'm a big... shall we say... risk taker. plus, my best friend knew him from when he lived in the states & she vouched for him. i most likely wouldn't have done it if it was a complete stranger.

[B]

yeah, so? i've always wanted to go there. besides, i'm a big... shall we say... risk taker. plus, my best friend knew him from when he lived in the states & she vouched for him. i most likely wouldn't have done it if it was a complete stranger. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh.... that makes a little more sense, i though it was one of those obsessed, go all the way to europe JUST to meet their solemate, person. But if you took the oppertunity to see him, While you were in europe. Then that's not AS crazy

[B]heheh, don't underestimate me, i'm completely insane. all 12 of my former shrinks have confirmed it. :demon: :demon: :demon: [/B][/QUOTE]

12..what did you do to them all to get 12, i though you would only need 1-2 BUT 12, jeeze you must have pissed them all real good.. just don't hurt me.....AHHH!!!! *Runs into the woods*

[B]they were all morons who i didn't trust... besides, this was over the course of many years. don't worry, though, i'm not the violent type. :p [/B][/QUOTE]

*slowly comes out of forest*

Fewwwww... i was about to leave OtakuBoards... Lucky that your not violent......right? :worried: Na j/k. 'tis all good, but still 12....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]My automatic response is no -_-.

I could elaborate on my answer...like how you could start to love someone you only know online without being able to touch them or just be with them (in a tangible way) then you really have no idea what you're involved in.

Online, people lie.

Though talking to someone you're "attracted to" (you're merely attracted to their ability to use their words wisely) [i]can[/i] be nice...it's not beneficial at all.

Real life love is something I look forward to very much...I'm still brooding over the fact that I don't have a boyfriend *throws random object* but I know some day he'll be there.

There [i]is[/i] one person I let get away...and I regret that :(...wait! This is turning into a love thread, isn't it? :shifty:[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I know what ya mean.Even though I am 13.Most of my friends have had at least 3 or 4 boyfriends...This one 7th grader I am friends with likes me..I like him but we are going to be friends.BTW I like your sig...When I watch Moulin Rouge at the end I cried.My mom was making fun of me.
:crying:

2 tell u the truth online love isn't real. i tested it last week and i am still testing it today. i made up a screenname on neopets since this kid is always on it. i wanted to see what he would say if i were to act as if i loved him. all he did was lie and say things that were not true.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ssj babe [/i]
[B]2 tell u the truth online love isn't real. i tested it last week and i am still testing it today. i made up a screenname on neopets since this kid is always on it. i wanted to see what he would say if i were to act as if i loved him. all he did was lie and say things that were not true. [/B][/QUOTE]
but roxy, trevor is a player...if you find a decnet guy online and u trust him and he trusts you it will only be the truth:p eh...:love: ........um......*digs a hole and burries self*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ssj babe [/i]
[B]2 tell u the truth online love isn't real. i tested it last week and i am still testing it today. i made up a screenname on neopets since this kid is always on it. i wanted to see what he would say if i were to act as if i loved him. all he did was lie and say things that were not true. [/B][/QUOTE]

You shouldn't just a whole issue on one bad personal experience... that would be stereotyping...

Just as I can't say that love is real online. I've seen people torn apart because of it.... when one breaks up whatver... I have friends who have been in what I call a "long distance relationship" because being online is just a means of communicationn who have been together over a year... if you can go a year loving someone you've never met, it's love.... then again, there are people that lie... there are people that don't love... but not everyone is the same... there is no true answer.... never will be because everyone is different.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by woody [/i]
[B]
If it's within the country, than it won't cost that much. What about one person from U.S and the other from Australia. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I guess they would have to arrange to meet. Depending on their age this could be hard. If the person is under 18 he should just forget about it. If he can afford to go to Australia, he should go there as soon as possible, meet her, find out if she is all he thinks she is and vice versa...It might seem like an expensive thing to do for such a big chance, but it could save him from heartbreak later on. And if it didn't work out at least he got to go to Australia...[/color]

Well, I have to say that it is at least possible. I know of [b]2[/b] couples that are [i]married[/i] from an online relationship. And no, these people aren't sorry or anything. Both couples are in their mid-twenties, ... let's see, my cousin Becky played volleyball for her college, is from Cali, and is 6 ft 4 inches. Very tall, tan, pretty girl. Her now husband Joseph lives in Georgia (well, they both live in Georgia now) went to college.. I forget what he does.... but he is 6ft 7 inches (:wow: ) and is pretty decent-looking himself. They met in a chatroom they went to every-so-often. I don't know all the details, but hey, look what happened!

I know another couple who moved here recently. They both went to the same college, had the same dance class, and they talked online too. Only, they didn't know it at the time.... kinda like a You've Got Mail scenario, except they never hated eachother. So yeah, I guess it's possible for online love to work. However, I also think that these people were just really smart and lucky in their situations. I don't recommend for anyone who wants a true relationship to hop onto a keyboard and start searching. I myself don't do the online thing. Yeah, it's cool to have friendships, but I like to see the person I'm talking to. And not to mention there are soooooooooooo many weirdos out there (the bad kind). It's just not worth it to me.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by coolkam007 [/i]
[B]i dont know.. how to answer.. but i think mine is... :) i love cate

and its not some sort of.. sex drivin love either ;P

i loved cate before i even saw her [/B][/QUOTE]
you're just like my brother's friend. My brother and sister called it the dreaming or illusion sickness.

I guess online love could work because there's so many people out there you're bound to come across some one you really like. The main problem though is normally the huge land gap between you.

My personal experiance:

I met a girl called Cait online. We got on at first as just really good mates...and then when we found out we were both bi we decided to take it a step further a date. We foned each other loadz..sent a few letters..spoke online everynight and made arrangements to stop over at each others houses for a week or so (she lives about 130miles away from me). I really cared about her. I thought she was the koolest person ever, she always cheered me up and amused me and I'd do anything to keep her happy. We dated for about 7 months..then we went to a festival together and things just broke down. My parents didnt know we were dating cause they thought we were both straight..and that meant I had to neglect her quite abit which kind of put a strageness between us and she was on the fone to her freidns back home most of the time. We ended up saying goodbye after the week was up...I broke up with her a few days later, althogh I think she might have been thinking the same...and now she's just another person on my contact list that I only speak to once on a blue moon.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Phantasy Freak [/i]
[B]

I know what ya mean.Even though I am 13.Most of my friends have had at least 3 or 4 boyfriends...This one 7th grader I am friends with likes me..I like him but we are going to be friends.BTW I like your sig...When I watch Moulin Rouge at the end I cried.My mom was making fun of me.
:crying: [/B][/QUOTE] dun cry... and i change my answer i think it is... see here is living proof! *covers mouth and slaps himself*