OtakuBoards

Game Forum

Ellerby

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]These little game thread seem to be popping up everywhere. Although this has relevancy to Boo's thread, it's a lot different.

With all these game threads, I think it would be neat if instead of just "spamming" up the Otaku Lounge, there were a completely seperate forum in the Prefecture. I'm sure there would be enough game threads out there to keep it alive, and you could even make it a no-post-count zone, allowing for game threads that involve a lot less words (like the scramble thread).

Thoughts?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]I don't feel like a Games forum is a good idea because it's unlikely that their current popularity is anything more than a "fad."

By that same token, we should create "Otaku Fiction" sub-forums, and bring back the sparring one. There's no reason these threads can't co-exist with normal discussion threads, or in The Arena where they used to be. In fact, Adventure Square used to be called "Games and Stories" because the threads within it were just that -- [i]Games and Stories[/i].

If anything, there should be some discussion about figuring out where a permanent home for these kinds of threads should be (if one is even needed.) I personally feel like they should be examined on a case-by-case basis, as some games deserve to be in Anime Lounge, or Play It, etc.

-Shy[/size]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I second most of what Josh has said, there's no need for a separate forum for games threads because they tend to only stay popular for a short period of time before dying off and their being revived again. You'd end up with a forum that's active for maybe three months and inactive for the rest of the year.[/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]I think, were you to take all the currently active game threads and toss them together into their own forum, you'd find there really aren't that many. There's only so many types of games you can play on a forum, and I think most of the non-spammy ones in existence are already present on OB. So, besides the high possibility that such a forum would become a spam magnet, I don't think there are actually enough decent games for them to support their own forum.

Oh, and I'd like to clarify something, regarding posts not counting towards your total: That doesn't really do anything. Post counts have already been removed from the postbit, so unless you actually view someone's full profile, you're not going to see them. They aren't a status symbol at all anymore, so there's really no reason for the staff to care whether or not the posts in a particular forum count or not.

What we [i]do[/i] care about is making sure those posts are of decent quality. Single word posts, for example, will never be allowed simply because someone makes one of those word-by-word story games and places it in a forum where posts don't count. It's still spam, whether or not it's adding to post counts, so it isn't allowed regardless. Making posts not count towards totals doesn't mean we'll ease up on the rules in that forum.[/color]

[COLOR=#D55555]May be a fad but it's really hard to bump them game threads down because of their sheer popularity. A number of them have been around for a good few months and you know very well that the only way these threads end is not by general lack of interest but by threadlock.

So my point is these threads will endure and will continue to bump non-game threads down the next pages of OLounge. Clutters up the page, even if there's just 2 or 3 of them.

Yeah, Game Forum. I'm up for it. Not only will this clean up OLounge (and other forums as well) but it'll open up a new, less restricting means of interacting inside OtakuBoards.[/COLOR]

[font=arial]Regarding sparring...I think it should be pointed out that sparring hasn't been removed from OB. It's now done in Adventure Arena.

The only difference between old and new spars is that new spars require a sign-up thread.

If you actually remember the old sparring forum as vividly as I do...well, the less said about it the better.

As for word-game threads, I'm not sure if they really need a seperate forum - it depends on the volume of threads. Don't forget that Otaku Lounge is essentially our miscellaneous discussion forum, so a lot of things that don't have specific forums go in there anyway. But if Desbreko decides that there's a consistently large volume of word-game threads, I'm happy to consider making a new forum for them. I tend to be careful about that though, because I think there are a lot of things that could probably use their own forums...but I don't want OtakuBoards to become spread too thin.[/font]

[quote name='James][font=arial']I think there are a lot of things that could probably use their own forums...[/font][/quote][size=1]
Relationship threads, political arguments, religious debates, etc.?

Yeah, some people make seperate forums for those and they end up being horribly boring and no one posts, because of the lack of posts. :D [/size]

[color=#b0000b][size=1]There aren't any word-game threads on the first page of the lounge right now. There's the discussion about The Game (I lose), and there are two image-heavy threads ("motivational" posters and [i]another[/i] caption contest).

Don't let them bother you. The O. Lounge is a catchall; there's bound to be stuff there that you don't like. I personally am not a fan of current events threads where the first post is quoting an entire article from a news site.[/size][/color]

I have the answer!! Just let them roll. I mean, I may have just killed myself, but I think that they're fine where they are. There are Mods that think that the games are spammy, then there are Mods who are participating in those very games. I think you need to decide if you're going to allow them at all, or just ignore them. No exceptions. Games like [I]The Person Below Me Game[/I] were closed, but then others like [I]Random Scrammble[/I] are still open. You can't have it both ways. As for the Forum idea, there really aren't enough games to keep the forum alive. Sorry, but it's the truth.

[quote name='Sara][color=#b0000b][size=1] I personally am not a fan of current events threads where the first post is quoting an entire article from a news site.[/size'][/color][/quote]
[size=1]But they have so much thought put into it. :([/size]