Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
I thought that there had been a Last.fm thread on OB before, but I searched for it and found nothing. Maybe I was thinking of a different forum lol.

If you don't know what it is, [b][url=http://www.last.fm/dashboard/]Last.fm[/url][/b] is basically a site that keeps track of what music you listen to via a plugin that you can download for your media player of choice. The site also offers an Internet radio service, though I honestly have not messed around with that too much, and other somewhat nifty things that I also have not played around with much. As you can see, I take complete advantage of everything Last.fm has to offer.

Anyway, I like the site because I enjoy being able to keep easy track of how much I've listened to certain artists. You know, sometimes I'll randomly scroll through my giant chart o' artists, think to myself, "Man, I haven't listened to Pelican for a while," and then give them a listen. And, really, charts are just fun. Or maybe it's just me who thinks so. Hm.

I also like checking out other people's sites to see who they've been listening to lately. It's a fun comparison of musical tastes, though a person's Top 50 chart obviously isn't a 100% accurate glimpse into his or her musical preferences. The thing's pretty accurate on the whole, however. Plus, it's just a good opportunity to become clued in on some bands I might not have heard about before - if a friend has listened a ton to a certain artist who I'm not aware of, that's bound to get me curious lol.

Anyway, who else here uses Last.fm? What do you like about it? What do you dislike? Go crazy, everyone!

[b][url=http://www.last.fm/user/Shinmaru/]Here's my site, by the way.[/url][/b] Add me as a friend if you like. Maybe we can get some sort of Last.fm OB group going. :O
Posted
[FONT=Arial]I really like Last.fm, because I love for people to see what I've been listening to. I'm not exactly sure why, but I do. [U][URL=http://www.last.fm/user/verucasaltx/]Here's[/URL][/U] my userpage, if anyone is interested. I currently have a chart on my myspace, and I think it might've inspired my friend to sign up at Last.fm as well. I recently downloaded the actual Last.fm program, and I've used it for the radio a few times. I much prefer Yahoo LaunchCast for radio, though.[/FONT]
Posted
[size=1]I like last.fm. I sometimes put on the radio and just search for one artist to see what more fun artists might come up. Furthermore, it's interesting to see how many people have the same taste as you do.

Oh, and the staff isn't a bunch of serious brats, which is a plus.

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/neonboo][color=#AA3333]My Last.fm[/color][/url] owns your last.fm, anyway.[/size]
Posted
[size=1][url=http://www.last.fm/user/retri/][b]My Last.fm[/b][/url] is awesomer than yours, Boo. >_>

I personally like it because it suggests new musicians for me to check out based on my recent weekly chart. Often, those suggestions are very good ones for me. However, I have yet to check out the radio feature, though.

And what's the point of tags? I never understood them much.[/size]
Posted
[quote name='Retribution][size=1][url=http://www.last.fm/user/retri/][b]My Last.fm[/b][/url'] is awesomer than yours, Boo. >_>.[/size][/quote]
[size=1]NevR!1![/size][quote name='Retribution][size=1']And what's the point of tags? I never understood them much.[/size][/quote][size=1]I guess it makes it easier to find music and it may be an easier way to link you to artists that you might like.

The tags just look messy to me, though.[/size]
Posted
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Mine is here: [url]http://www.last.fm/user/DeadSeraphim/[/url]

I haven't used it for a while since my plugin died and wouldn't work on MacIntel OSX, but I have the new one now so my musical superiority is ascertained.[/font][/color][/size]
Posted
[font=arial][size=1][url]http://www.last.fm/user/RiflesAtRecess/[/url]

Yep. Check it out if you like looking at bands with funny names that you've never heard of. :D My music taste is amazing, unlike Boo's.

Oh, and I'm adding you, Marsh, why not. ^^[/font][/size]
Posted
Woo! Last.fm! Anway, mine is [url]http://www.last.fm/user/lunai[/url], so go look. & add. & all that jazz.

This reminds me that I need to get the album art for the new Audioslave album uploaded.

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/lovelylunai/signature%20smilies/_introduction__by_darkmoon3636.gif[/IMG]Caitlin
Posted
[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]NevR!1![/size][size=1]I guess it makes it easier to find music and it may be an easier way to link you to artists that you might like.

The tags just look messy to me, though.[/size][/QUOTE]

Same here. I added tags for some of the bands I listen to, and it just got very annoying after a while lol. It's not really worth it to tag a lot... not to me, anyway.
Posted
[color=darkblue][size=1]I thought we did have an OB group over yonder. Chromosome Cowboys ring a bell? lol

Anyway, that usually gets updated when I'm on one of the school computers, since that's where I have the plug-in loaded, but going [url=http://www.last.fm/user/LadyKei]there[/url] now will let you know just how much of a whore I am for DDR music. XD[/color][/size]
Posted
[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1][url]http://www.last.fm/user/RiflesAtRecess/[/url]

Yep. Check it out if you like looking at bands with funny names that you've never heard of. :D My music taste is amazing, unlike Boo's.

Oh, and I'm adding you, Marsh, why not. ^^[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

Pfft! I'll out-funnyu-name-band you any day, my friend! :laugh:

I checked out the site, and the genre-loving Metalhead inside me just about had an aneurysm looking which bands were listed under "Metal": we had Korn, Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Static-X, and System of a down all classified as Metal. Ew. Gross. No. Wrong.

Oh, and friggin' Crossbreed was under Viking Folk Black Metal. That's like calling looking at a bowl of broccoli and saying "Look! A traffic light dual-wielding machine guns!"

In other words, it's just about as WTF NO KTHXBYE as you can get.
Posted
[QUOTE=Jakehammaren]Pfft! I'll out-funnyu-name-band you any day, my friend! :laugh:

I checked out the site, and the genre-loving Metalhead inside me just about had an aneurysm looking which bands were listed under "Metal": we had Korn, Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Static-X, and System of a down all classified as Metal. Ew. Gross. No. Wrong.

Oh, and friggin' Crossbreed was under Viking Folk Black Metal. That's like calling looking at a bowl of broccoli and saying "Look! A traffic light dual-wielding machine guns!"

In other words, it's just about as WTF NO KTHXBYE as you can get.[/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]That's defined by users, man, not the site. lol[/font][/color][/size]
Posted
[font=arial][size=1]Same as in the real world, there's still no one who knows what real metal is. :D

Although, usually you'll find that the most popular tags on a band are usually correct.[/font][/size]
Posted
[quote name='RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]Same as in the real world, there's still no one who knows what real metal is. :D[/font'][/size][/quote][size=1]Exactly.

And my music taste still owns yours, no doubt. You listen to screaming people with bad background music and bad lyrics for [i]fun[/i]? I don't get it. :\

[b]EDIT for below:[/b] Prove me wrong, and I might scrap that part. :D[/size]
Posted
[quote name='Lady Katana][color=darkblue][size=1]I thought we did have an OB group over yonder. Chromosome Cowboys ring a bell? lol[/color'][/size][/quote]

Eh, I see that as an unofficial OB group at best. It's more of a group for our blogroll, since most of the "recruitment" went on over there. Besides, Tony is the leader of that group, and he barely even goes to OB these days lol.
Posted
Even though I do not post here all that often, I do have an account as well on [URL=http://www.last.fm/user/Valick/?chartstyle=Winter-Forest]Last.fm[/URL] check it out I suppose.

I have a metal suited taste, but I've of course only joined a little over a week ago, so I have not listened to all that much yet for last.fm to record.
Posted
[FONT=Arial]I think I just discovered what I like most about Last.fm; the radio function. I knew they had it when I downloaded the program, but I didn't realize you could type in a bunch of different keywords and create your own temporary radio station out of them. This is especially handy, since my own Yahoo radio station never wants to work.[/FONT]
Posted
It's weird how Last.fm just must be marketed better. When they were Audioscrobbler, I didn't know anyone that ever used it. I guess they're doing something right this time around.
Posted
[color=darkred][size=1]Eh, i've got it, but I rarely use it. Honestly, whenever I do listen to music, I've either got iTunes running Party Shuffle or I've got one song on repeat. So, the charts aren't really accurate reflections of my musical taste.

But ho-hum, it is a freakin' cool idea. ^_^

--Chris[/color][/size]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...