OtakuBoards

Halloween

Claire

I used to celebrate Halloween when i was younger. I used to go out with my friends and sister, we normally did a cosplay kind of theme for our costumes. Over the years, the style changed and we came up with some pretty good ideas. Nowadays though, I hardly ever even notice the Halloween decorations or products. My sister often keeps asking me to come along with her, but if I do I never dress up.
Halloween was fun while it lasted, to me anyway.

[COLOR=LightBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]I've dressed up for Halloween for most of my life so far. A short 14 years. That's not the point though. I feel as if I'm getting too old for the whole Trick-or-Treat thing. I still plan on wearing a costume... and showing my kid brother around to the houses. But before they get home, my mom says I have to stand around by the door and distribute candy. Tch. Why do I always get the hard jobs?

There is also a party at my school. We are going to dress up and have random activities throughout the day. But everyone goes to a school thing. So, why am I even bothering explaining this then?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Clurr][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Preface: This is not a thread on whether or not you celebrate Halloween. If you don't, don't post. It's not the Devil's Birthday; it originated as the Pagan celebration of the end of summer (Samhain). [/SIZE]

.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Actually Samhain (pronounced Sow-in or close to it) is the Celtic New Year, not the celebration of the end of summer. That would be Lamas when you celebrate the Harvest. I forgot the other celebration. And Samhain is when the veil between the living and the dead is the thinnest and a time to honor your ancestors.

Anyways back to the subject at hand. Yes I celebrate Halloween, the best I can. I seem to usually end up working that night. Which bites because I would love to dress up and take my daughter trick or treating. But hey, second shift pays better and I need money more than candy.

I am dying to have a Halloween party. Maybe next year when my life isn't all screwed up. I have a cos play idea that I want to try out.

Oh well, at least I still have my kid to dress up.[/color][/font]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I would like to know what you're being for Halloween like for going to parties or other things like that. Some times your parents have second thoughts on your costum and I wanted to see what others' parents thought about it and what you're wearing so here's mine.

Well I'm being a Dragon Geisha. It's so cute and I love it. It has a skeleton dragon on the front of it and the rest of it is a bright electric blue. It's short in the front and long in in the back. The short dress goes all around in my costum and then in the back it's long and there are chopsticks and a fan that go with it.

My parents have different opinions. First my dad said that it was okay and then when I showed my mom she said that I would have to get nylons. So instead I'm going to get fish net stockings. I have high heels for it too.

So what are you being for Halloween and what do your parents think of it?
I told you mine so what are some of your guys'?[/COLOR]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Impact][COLOR=DarkRed]Ggggrrrraaawww Man why do I have to be in iraq for Halloween :animedepr . This is the second time I miss it I'm my life? I'm truly disappointed. Well if I was back in America I would totally celebrate it. I remember the Halloween before I joined the USMC. Me and all my friends from the neighbor hood made a haunted house at my house :animesmil . We actually scared the crap outta people :animeswea . We actually did that for two years in a row. Then I went off to boot camp and my friends never did another one?it?s a shame really :animesigh . Now if I can I dress up in my Chinese outfit I bought in Chinatown (its hella cheap but gets the job down) and either go to a party or hang out with some friends (not staying in one place for a while makes it hard to make decent friends at least for me anyway :animeangr ) Next year ill make another haunted house for sure and I'm gonna make sure its kick arse. :catgirl: [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Halloween is only second to Christmas when I consider my favorite holidays. It's the atmosphere, it's the amber leaves, it's the nostalgia, it's the smell of cut grass when your jogging out to the football field, it's the scary movies and cheesy kids specials, it's the candy. Whatever it is, it's what makes halloween so special. But now it's just bittersweet, because it just feels like I can't enjoy it as much as I did when I was five years old. I guess it's that I can't eat candy anymore, and I guess that's just sad.

[quote name='only1specialed][SIZE=3][FONT=Impact][COLOR=DarkRed]Ggggrrrraaawww Man why do I have to be in iraq for Halloween :animedepr . This is the second time I miss it I'm my life? I'm truly disappointed. Well if I was back in America I would totally celebrate it. I remember the Halloween [b]before I joined the USMC[/b]. [/COLOR][/FONT'][/SIZE][/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]So.. you're dressing up as a military bell person for Halloween then? Sounds fun. Just kidding! Military humor... my father is retired Air Force.

Anywho. I finally got my daughter's costume tonight. She's going to be a witch. This outfit is so cute! It's got a witch hat with an iredecent leopard print on it, and a skirt with all this different colored fabric and the top is purple and has a cat on it. And to top it all off she has this cute little trick-or-treat bag that my parents got her in Las Vegas that actually goes with her costume. Yes I am an insane parent of a two year old. I'll have to post a picture of my daughter when she wears her costume.

Oh... I'm dressing up too, but I haven't decided as what yet. I still have my wedding dress I think I could either tinker with that and go all corpse bride or use the costume (yes costume) I wore to my cousin's wedding back in May (Yes wedding) and be a Renesscance lady. Either way I look young enough (yes I'm vain) so I can get away with getting candy as long as I'm not working B shift.[/color][/font]

I'm not really doing anything for Halloween. I'm going to Dallas tomorrow for a video game tournament. I'll be there for Saturday also (Probably come back early Sunday morning).

On Saturday I'm going to a arcade. Its $15 to enter and the rest is free. Its free pizza and games. Its basically a Lock In (I've been to a church lock in before, but never a video game lock in :)). They are having a tournament for Soul Calibur 3 (Arcade) and Tekken DR (Arcade).

Friday they are having a tournament for Tekken 5.0, NCAA 07, Guitar Hero, and a side tournament for Soul Calibur. I'm not sure if I can actually enter any of these. Because its at a McDonalds (I don't think that they want any young kids entering because I can win money and its going to be help around Midnight). I don't exactly understand, most tournaments I can enter. I'm not sure if they understand how much business they are loosing. I mean, there are alot of kids that would want to pay. They would loose anyway. You have to be 18 to enter though. So ignorant.

On Tuesday (Halloween) I'm not doing anything really. Maybe play mini golf with my family. We are doing a first to 5 and the winner of each game gets $20. Its nice for sure, I've only won once so far though. Its almost over though. But thats not even for sure.

Thanks for your time.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Well the church here is holding Halloween parties this weekend so I will be going to those. I?ve already got my costume and I?ll even be dressing up my dog and taking her along. ^_^

Then next week I will be doing a combination of trick or treating with friends, as we will be helping take some of the younger kids go around the neighborhood. And then when I get home if kids are still coming around I?ll be answering the door with my dog. Naturally we will be dressed up. ^_^

They told us to not dress up for school, but I?m going to go that way anyway, they can send me home if they like! :p [/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]I don't go out of my way with costumes - just cobble them together from whatever I've got around the place. So this year I'm planning a sort of [i]Punk Grim Reaper[/i] deal. All in black - black T-shirt, black jeans, long black coat - with silver death's-head jewellery (pendant and belt buckle, if possible) sunglasses and a scythe. And I'll point out to people that the cloak and skeleton dealie is so fourteenth-century, so impersonal, and that people these days demand an approachable face - they demand [i]customer service,[/i] man.[/FONT]

[quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkOrchid'] I?ll even be dressing up my dog and taking her along. ^_^ [/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Impact]The poor thing... please tell me its gonna look gangsta or something. like a devil or put it in a little cow outfit. hehe that would be funny[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkOrchid']I?ve already got my costume and I?ll even be dressing up my dog and taking her along. ^_^ [/COLOR][/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]That poor animal. Hold on while I call PETA. Or maybe Jay Leno. If it's Leno at least you'll end up on the Tonight Show[/color][/font]

I love Halloween! Christmas, Halloween, and my birthday are all tied for 1st, but right now my favorite's Halloween though. I'm really looking forward to dressing up! I'm gonna be a pirate hooker. :catgirl: tee hee. Yeah. I've got longish hair, but I think I'm still gonna go through the plan of spiking it. Yay! That'll be reallllly fun. Me and my trumpet buddy from band are gonna dress up as the same thing, but with different ideas. She's gonna be a smexy pirate hooker, too. Yep. This Halloween's gonna rock my sox off. Can't wait! :animesmil

[COLOR=DarkRed]I actually have new plans as of right now. I will be going to the anime club halloween party out at the community college. Mainly because it will be fun, but also I am supplying the DDR. So I have to go.

There will be Guitar Hero, DDR, AMVs, Hellsing, COSPlay contest, and pikachu pinatas.

That will end around 6 pm, and then my friends Tanner, Mike, co. and I will go to this creepy hollow where people jump out of the bushes to scare the crap out of you in some woods. Really fun. I can't wait.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Jubei Yagyou']Halloween is only second to Christmas when I consider my favorite holidays. It's the atmosphere, it's the amber leaves, it's the nostalgia, it's the smell of cut grass when your jogging out to the football field, it's the scary movies and cheesy kids specials, it's the candy. Whatever it is, it's what makes halloween so special. But now it's just bittersweet, because it just feels like I can't enjoy it as much as I did when I was five years old. I guess it's that I can't eat candy anymore, and I guess that's just sad.[/quote]
[B]
Dude, you just summed it up for me in the perfect words.[/B] Except for the "I can't eat candy anymore" part and second to Xmas. Seriously though, Halloween does have a feel to it, and the memories you have as a kid during Halloween always comes back.

Halloween for me this year will probably take place in my cold lonely apartment. =P. Again. I miss being 17 and trick-or-treating with my buddies. :animesigh

Ah, Halloween-- one of the few holidays that make me feel alive and well. Not to mention it'll be the last one with my friends, so we're totally decking it out with a Mario Bros. get-up. IT'S A ME, MARIO! *boing* (Yes, even have the yellow buttons on my overalls. =P)

Hehe, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I think I'm going trick-or-treating more for the reason of just hanging with my friends and getting looks from candy-givers, rather than for the candy itself. I do know that I will never. Give. Up. On. Candy corn. That is the blessed sweet of Halloween goodness, bwahaha.

On a different note, I'm enjoying pumpkin carving more than I have in a while. Yesterday, I carved a kitty on a tree-- I must say, it looks pretty good (for something I haven't done since I was a kid).

...And I hope the migrane I have goes away before Halloween-- I've had it all this weekend. But I digress. >_<

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! BWAHAHAHAHA!

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Omg.......you should have seen my street tonight, my house was the shiz-niz. Those kid's were hitting my house like bug's on a windshield. I must have handed candy to about 70 kid's. They bout' drove me crazy, trick or treat, trick or treat, TRICK OR TREAT!! I can't even stand looking at candy now, or hearing the word's TRICK OR TREAT. AGH!!*retreats back in house and locks door yelling "Go Away"*.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

it was halloween yesterday, kids knocking at the door and saying 'trick or treat' in synchronisation really reminded me of when i was little. though i never got a chance to go trick or treating, i always watched my older brother Mark dress up to go with his friends, and i always enjoyed listening to his adventures afterwards... ah... nostalgia

My siblings and I ventured out last night and had some fun. We had to go to another town to trick or treat, though - unfortunately, Halloween has been dying a slow death in our neighborhood, and the streets were practically barren. Seriously, barely a kid in sight. It's weird.

But, yeah, we had fun generally goofing around and grabbing candy. This year I continued my [i]Lost[/i] motif by dressing as Jack (last year I went as Charlie), but I couldn't keep it as simple as putting on a doctor costume. Behold!

[center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/Shinmaru/DSCN0473.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Yes, I put on a terrible wig and went as Jack with the bad hair from "Man of Science, Man of Faith." The sight of Jack with that awful hair still cracks me up. I knew that it would make a perfect Halloween costume for me. :animesmil ([url=http://www.thetailsection.com/gallery/displayimage-1-102.html][b]Go to this site to see Jack's terrible hair. Just click on the image in the middle if the picture doesn't show up.[/b][/url])

My sister is dressed as Hermione from [u]Harry Potter[/u] and my brother went as an [i]Iron Chef[/i] warrior.

Here are a couple more pictures of me from last night:

[center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/Shinmaru/DSCN0476.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Jack's father [i]really[/i] pissed him off here. :P

[center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/Shinmaru/dscn0478.jpg[/IMG][/center]

And a glimpse of the future in which Jack actually gets a normal-looking hairdo.

[quote name='Shinmaru'] Halloween has been dying a slow death in our neighborhood, and the streets were practically barren. Seriously, barely a kid in sight. It's weird.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Book Antiqua]That's how it was in my neighbourhood! What is wrong with this generation of candy givers?! They are lazy I say! Or maybe just health concious or cheap? Although, I never did get to go out. I was doing homework (well supossedly doing homework, I ended up watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), but I wore my belly dance costume to school. Even at school, there wasn't many people wearing costumes. :animesigh

I heard a funny Halloween story though. Accordng to one of my teachers, his neighbour put out one of those 'please take one' candy bowls. But, put no candy in it! That's evil, but smart.

Anyways, I'm really craving candy. There was NO discount candy at the store because it was ALL gone! I guess I [I]should[/I] have rented a kid and went to a rich town.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=celestialcharm][COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Book Antiqua]
Anyways, I'm really craving candy. There was NO discount candy at the store because it was ALL gone! I guess I [I]should[/I] have rented a kid and went to a rich town.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Well my best friend and I would have willingly given you one of ours for a few houses.

We both have two year old girls, my friend's went as a devil and mine went as a witch, and after a while neither of them wanted to walk from house to house so we had to carry them and their treat bags until we reached the next driveway. Then it rained. That was crap.

It wasn't too bad though, I was in costume and my mom had insisted I bring along an extra bag so Abby (my daughter) didn't lose all her candy if she decided to dump her treat bag so at some houses people were giving me candy.

I'll have to stop being lazy for a few minutes and load the pictures of my daughter in her halloween costume. It's so cute.[/color][/font]

I didn't actually go out for Halloween, I just stayed at a friend's house. To set the right atmosphere, we watched some dark horror movies to keep us entertained. We even saw the Hollow Man 2. It was alright but I've seen better movies. Luckily, we didn't get many trick or treaters, otherwise we may have egged them.