OtakuBoards

Halloween

Claire

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Preface: This is not a thread on whether or not you celebrate Halloween. If you don't, don't post. It's not the Devil's Birthday; it originated as the Pagan celebration of the end of summer (Samhain). [/SIZE]

I know it's only the third of October, but heck. Halloween is everyday.

So, my question is, how do you celebrate Halloween? Do you go trick-or-treating (still?), or what? Do you dress up?

This year, I have two opportunities to wear a costume. One of them is this Friday, and the other is, of course, Halloween. For Friday, I hope to have the resources to dress up as Jade Puget, the guitarist of AFI. I already have a guitar, which is sort of what inspired the costume idea. Friday is my friend's birthday, and she's having a costume party.

For Halloween, though, I want to be Davey Havok (AFI's singer). I was Davey two years ago, but I want to throw together a little better representation of him this time around. I don't know what I'll do Halloween night, though...I'll probably just walk around my neighborhood with some friends. It gives a good excuse to be out when it's dark.

However, it can be Halloween almost every weekend for me! The local zoo here has a carnival type thing called ZooBoo that teenagers can volunteer for. In doing so, I will put on a generic, tattered costume and wear some cheap monster makeup, then hide in a dark place in one of the featured attractions...and when an unsuspecting person approaches...I leap out and scream, "GALILEO FIGARO!!" and make them spill beer all over the place in fright. Awe. Some.[/FONT]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue] Yep! I celebrate Halloween. Most years, I just go out to get some FREEEEEEEEEE CANDYYYYYYYYYY because I'm still not old enough to go to parties and stuff (what the heck? I don't even think there ARE any fun parties in middle school!). I was SUPPOSED to go trick or treating this year (FREEEEE CANDYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!), and dress up just like my normal self (I consider myself a lil too old...) to get FREEEEEEEE CANDYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But then, I kinda posted the same question on myOtaku and this dude told me that some people put poison in your candy and the whole idea just sorta freaked me out. :animedepr Plus, I'd much rather not have FREEEEEEEE CANDYYYYYYYYY than have FREEEEEEEEEE CANDYYYYYYYYYYY and get fat at the same time (not that I am, but I'm kinda a paranoid).[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=slategray]Oh man, I love Halloween.

Last year I coaxed a bunch of my friends into going trick-or-treating with me. To my surprise, we were practically the only people out there all night. Hardly any younger children. That saddened me. Is the spirit really dying out?
But, I still had fun. I threw together a bunch of random things at the last minute. I ended up looking like some Gothic whore with a shovel. XD So, me looking like a slut, I went around yelling "Skirt inspection!" to random people and lifted up my skirt.
Then we walked up to the MHI (Mental Health Institute) and walked around the graveyard over there.

Fun times.

This year, for Homecoming, I made a Robin costume for Costume Day. It ended up looking more like a hybrid Robin and dominatrix. But, it was sexy as hell anyway.
So, I'm hoping I can wear that again for Halloween. I'm trying to get someone to throw a party.[/color][/size]

I love Halloween! As a cosplayer I love having a holiday where I can wear a costume and be "normal"!

I don't trick or treat anymore. I think people would think it was a bit weird to have a 30 year old with no kids show up asking for candy! I stay at home, put on a costume and answer the door for all the kids who do trick or treat. There are some really great costumes and those kids who just don't try. I really hate it when an older kid shows up with no costume and wants free candy. If you wear a costume, you get candy. I spent $50 on candy for people I don't know, the least you can do is put a costume on! /rant

Just so you guys know, if you come to my house and you are wearing an anime or gaming costume you will get extra candy!

I think my favorite recent Halloween memory is this little boy, must have been about 5, showed up wearing a Spiderman costume. My hubby answers the door and and in a surprised voice said: "Oh it's Spiderman!". The little boy took off his mask and said in this really serious voice: "Oh no, I'm not the real Spiderman." It was so flippin' cute we gave him a huge handful of candy. :D

To sum up:

- Yes I do celebrate Halloween. I buy lots of candy, decorate the house and watch scary movies.

- No I do not trick or treat. I'm too old. :animecry: I do have kind of an open house on Halloween for all my friends and family. Eventually they all stop by with their kids and trick or treat in my neighborhood. It gives them a place to warm up, use the bathroom, grab a cup of cocoa and have a little snack.

- Heck yeah I dress up! You're never too old to put a costume on. I'll be 100 years old and I'll be wearing a costume! Of course at that point I may have lost my mind and may not even know I am in a costume...oh well! :p

[size=1][color=dimgray]Halloween is my favorite holiday I love it, which is kind of funny because I was a fraidy-cat as a kid lol, but I still loved scary stuff.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray] [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]Anyways now that I'm above the trick or treating age, although it really doesn't have one. Back to subject I go to parties most of the time, it all just depends. Hopefully I get to do something fun, because last year was sick.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray] [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]As per a costume this year I think I'm gonna dress up like Prince ^_^.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Halloween is several things for me. First of all it?s my birthday so I always have some type of celebration along those lines. Then because I?ve always loved that holiday, I always dress up and I always end up doing the scary movie marathon sometime during the month. My friends and I also check out any haunted houses in the area and if there isn?t a costume party, we organize one and have fun.

I don?t go trick or treating as I?m too old for that. And I don?t hand out candy as I?m not home during the evening as I?m always at a Halloween party. This year I play on dressing up as a type of sorceresses as the party I?m attending this year is doing a bit of a medieval theme. I understand they even have games set up that will fit that era.

Now I just need to finish decorating my apartment. I may not host a party or give out candy, but I love covering the place with fake spider webs and all sorts of fun creepy decorations. [/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]@Mewprincess: Ouch. Just ... gah. My eyes. Never do that again.

Last year I decided to go to Hallowe'en night at the Students' Union at the last minute, so with about half an hour to go I threw on a hooded jacket and scrawled [b]28.06.42.12[/b] on my arm in marker pen, Donnie Darko style. I was holding out hope that someone would come as Frank the giant horror bunny, so we could do some hardcore quotin', but 'twas not to be.

I have a house party to go to this Hallowe'en ... no idea for costume thus far.[/FONT]

I try to enjoy halloween but it's also my birthday. So it's more of a birthaween.

I put on a costume, i try and dress up as something random like a chicken or something. I also try and blag people out of more sweets because it's my birthday and i can.

And to make matters worse this year is going to be the first ever time i'll be in school on halloween. So I'm going to try and blag my way out of school :animesmil

[b][size=1]Man, the last time I did anything for halloween, I was still in high school. All I did was attend a halloween party though. I don't eat candy anymore so I don't go trick or treating. (My choice of course, no one will ever deny me of getting candy if I wanted it.) I didn't dress up though, just wore all black. And of course, people assumed that I was a vampire, so I just played along.

Now that I don't have a job at the moment, or not busy with anything, I'll probably attend another party, that is if someone is throwing one. If not, I'll just stay home or go job searching... "shrugs" But if they are I'll dress up as the crow. ^_^ [/size][/b]

[color=dimgray] Tetris box, baby.

For Halloween my friends and I have a scary movie sleepover. It's pretty self-explanatory. But we always have candy corn and cheesy poofs as snacks. :D It's one of my favorite get-togethers of the year; there's something nice about squeezing onto a big couch in a dark basement and freaking out together.[/color]

[FONT=Arial]To those who have to go to school on Halloween, are you allowed to dress up during class? I'm planning on showing up dressed as Davey Havok, but his costume wouldn't be too far out of the ordinary. Last year, a junior came to school dressed as Dani Filth; he had a long red cloak and lots of makeup. That made me smile a whole bunch. =D[/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Yeah, at my school we're allowed to dress up. But our costumes DO have to follow the regular clothing guidelines. You know, no boobs or butts all over the place. It makes sense. I dress up every year, I always have. I don't think I've ever missed a year. I love going to school and dressing up xD I cosplay so it's a chance to share my passion with everyone without being too much of a crackhead =3

I don't really have a tradition on the actual night - I do something with someone different every year. This year I'll be taking my friends who are Japanese exchange students trick or treating. They don't do that in Japan so it'll be a cool experience for them ^__^ I'm dressing up as a Silent Hill nurse. Easy, and scary. I'm pretty excited![/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Clurr][FONT=Arial']To those who have to go to school on Halloween, are you allowed to dress up during class?[/FONT][/quote]
Our school specifically forbids dressing in costume on Halloween, which is very much (darn them for making me resort to such langauge) t3h suxors. But I think I might dress up in my suit (probably with the pants instead of the skirt just for practicality) and be a lawyer that day like I am in Mock Trial. What's more evil than a lawyer on Halloween?

If I don't feel like doing that, though, I am pinning a tiny plasctic pumpkin to my chest with a pin from Hot Topic. For either of those I'll be wearing my glow-in-the-dark nail polish. Tis the awesome.

I'm a sophomore now, which means I'm too old for trick-or-treating. Plus, my friends and I don't do parties, so I'll probably just stay home and do something with my mom, probably make caramel apples. I still carve a Jack-o-lantern with her every year, which is fun. We're going to go to one of the local places in town to get our pumpkin soon.

Guest LilyBebeboo
i live in a college town where haloween is a very big deal. people fill the streets for a parade of sorts. lots of ppl just sit around and watch all the freaks. its usually pretty entertaining, but im kinda sick of it. last year i think i did absolutely nothing and this year ill probably just celebrate the weekend before at the bars while im on vacation up north. on the actual day, ill prob stay in cause its a week night and ill be tired. ive already eaten enough candy corn to last all month. bad bad me :animecry:

[quote name='Clurr][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]So, my question is, how do you celebrate Halloween? Do you go trick-or-treating (still?), or what? Do you dress up?[/size'][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]In answer to do I dress up and go trick-or-treating still, the answer would be no, seeing as I find both those things to be a wee bit juvenile nowadays.

As for what I do for Halloween, generally I invite some friends over, have a party where we watch horror films in the dark for our own amusement and then generally try to play tricks on one another to frighten the bejesus out of each other. This year though, I'm not really sure if we can do it, seeing as most of my friends are in college and are a good driving distance away, still no harm in trying. [/SIZE]

[font=arial][size=1]My parents love going crazy for Halloween. I'm sure I told this story on OB before, but basically, we pick a theme and decorate the house with it every year. We do it so well that it makes the news nearly every year. People come from out of state to see us (they have relatives who told them about us or they've been here and moved out of state, you get the idea) and we also get to little brats grow up into college students. Even people too old to trick-or-treat (like aforementioned college guys) visit us to see what we did to the house, lol.

Last year, we did kind of a chemical radiation theme, my dad parked his white SUV in the lawn, put a rotating light and siren on it, then we stuffed up some clothes and put them under blankets for patients. We even had a stretcher, lol.

Here's some pictures I took during the day while my parents were still working on it:

[URL=http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hallow1cs6.jpg][IMG]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3847/hallow1cs6.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hallow2wr1.jpg][IMG]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8519/hallow2wr1.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=http://img226.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hallow3km9.jpg][IMG]http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/1764/hallow3km9.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/font][/size]

[color=darkred]I just stay at home to watch horror and haunted house investigation shows. But this year I bought a clown costume for my black lab, so I may very well just take her trick or treating and keep all the candy for myself. Lol

Not really, but I will still dress her up in her costume and take her for a walk.[/color]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]My family doesn't really go crazy for Halloween, but we do the usual: carve crazy pumpkins, dress up, maybe host a party and so on. It hasn't really changed much except because of the fact that we're moving into a bigger house, my mom practically wants to do crazy things in order to show it off, so... meh. XD

Carving pumpkins is my favorite part because my mom let's us do whatever picture we want and let's us dub the pumpkin our own. So,this year, I'm going with a PotC theme for my pumpkin and carving it out... Jack Sparrow style. Hey, it might seem lame, but what the heck...let my fangirl side stick out.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2] I really dont celebrate halloween anymore, last year, I turned off all the lights, and when the kids came to my place for candy. I opened the door and said *insert cruel remark here*

But when I'm in the mood to celebrate, I just sit outside with the bucket of candy, with my stereo playing techno music, and throw the candy at the bypassers, and laugh at them. ^_^

Now: You'll Be Under My Wheels
Artist: The Prodigy
Album: Always OutNumbered, Never OutGunned

- Fury[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Halloween is nearly dead for me.
And I miss it.
My friends and I used to go around
our neighborhood and scare little kids.
But I would always feel bad, so usually, I'd watch from afar.

We would also go to the Scream Factor X, which is like a haunted house
that is ACTUALLY scary. I'd scream and cling on to my friends, while they
tried to pry me off, haha.

Later, we'd go to my house (usually) and watch horror movies
while giving out candy. They'd end up spending the night, and
we would go for a walk at 3 AM.
Just for the heck of it.

Now, my mom won't allow me celebrating Halloween, cause..it's
"evil" mehh.
I won't go into details.[/FONT]

I always throw some kind of party with movies and costumes adn friends, and then the remnant of us (ten or so) will go wipe out what's left of the cand some time between 8 and ten in my neighborhood.
Lord! If I don't tell this story I'll be sorry

Okay so last year at my old high school, which was a private school conected to a church, we trick or treated every day the week before hallowween right up to the day at the offices and aministrations for all the different outreaches and stuff. We were in media class, and our teacher was hecka coool back then, so we would go and grab a camera and costuems from the prop closet and just take off around the school trick-or-reating in classrooms and offices. And if we got kicked out, or didn''t get a treat... we tricked and filmed it.... it was so fun, that class ruled.

This year my house is awsomely decorated, I have this sheer black fabrick hanging from the liberachi chendelear on the piano and a halloween town and .... I could go one forever. my house is sick, and I've already got movies candy, and a couple costumes I'm working on. I'm either going as a viking, a really twisted cat in the hat, or cross dress as marlyn monroe. The latter two are very disturbing so I'll probably go with the first one. but it depends how I'm feeling.

[QUOTE=Clurr][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Preface: This is not a thread on whether or not you celebrate Halloween. If you don't, don't post. It's not the Devil's Birthday; it originated as the Pagan celebration of the end of summer (Samhain). [/SIZE]

I know it's only the third of October, but heck. Halloween is everyday.

So, my question is, how do you celebrate Halloween? Do you go trick-or-treating (still?), or what? Do you dress up?

This year, I have two opportunities to wear a costume. One of them is this Friday, and the other is, of course, Halloween. For Friday, I hope to have the resources to dress up as Jade Puget, the guitarist of AFI. I already have a guitar, which is sort of what inspired the costume idea. Friday is my friend's birthday, and she's having a costume party.

For Halloween, though, I want to be Davey Havok (AFI's singer). I was Davey two years ago, but I want to throw together a little better representation of him this time around. I don't know what I'll do Halloween night, though...I'll probably just walk around my neighborhood with some friends. It gives a good excuse to be out when it's dark.

However, it can be Halloween almost every weekend for me! The local zoo here has a carnival type thing called ZooBoo that teenagers can volunteer for. In doing so, I will put on a generic, tattered costume and wear some cheap monster makeup, then hide in a dark place in one of the featured attractions...and when an unsuspecting person approaches...I leap out and scream, "GALILEO FIGARO!!" and make them spill beer all over the place in fright. Awe. Some.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yes, i'm dressing up for haloween this year. I'm going to do cosplaying :D yay! I'm being shuuko from rockman.exe and also am going to drive everyone crazy that is unfortunate enough to see me go nuts on haloween. Candy = sugar which will make me extra hyper for the next couple months afterwards. Good for me, bad for everyone else.
Also, there's a lot of oppertunitys to dress up in costume and get even more candy. Lot of partys means lots of fun as well as seeing old haloween movies on tv for the 50th time.

Guest bunnielove1223
I'm way to old to go trick or treating so I usually just stay home and pass out candy and eat some of it. We still got some left over candy from last year that we're gonna pass out again. Lol one time I had this sharkbites fruitsnacks in my cabinent for about 4 years and then I put them in a treat bag and gave them out to kids on halloween. We always keep the good candy for ourselves and pass out the stuff we don't like to other kids.

[size=1][color=#4B5B5B]My family doesn't celebrate Halloween. We just give out candy, go to church, and come home...but that was when I was 8 years old.

Normally, I just hang out with the friends and go trick-or-treating- if we feel like it. But nowadays, we just go to parties. However, this year I want to dress up as American McGee's Alice and walk around like that. Yes, that'd probably get some stares and all but, it's not my fault I'm strange >).[/size][/color]