OtakuBoards

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

SunfallE

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Having just got this game this week and having already spent several hours completely enjoying playing it, I had to post about it. Considering how much fun this game is I?m surprised that no one has created a thread on it. Though if there already is one and I missed it in the directory and the search I did I?m going to feel like an idiot. ^_~

Anyway, basically after seeing all the funny pictures Charles has done with animations from this game I got so curious that I went out and bought it and so far it has been far better than I expected. I thought at best it would be fun and since I had seen it used in some funny animations I would still enjoy it. Having now played it through the first two cases I?ve come to the realization that the animations I saw done by Charles are but a tiny glimpse into what a funny and fun game this is.

For starters Phoenix Wright is a point and click type of game where you are a rookie lawyer. There are two main areas where you play the game, one is investigation where you gather clues, search for evidence, question people involved or associated with your current case. And if you think that?s boring, the game throws in wacky and zany people that you deal with keeping you from getting bored. Half the fun is watching how they react and what Phoenix is thinking as he talks to them.

Then once you?ve finished that aspect you start the court proceedings. The game is very helpful in keeping track of your evidence for you so you can access it easily. Instead of tedious hunting you are left with the task of figuring out why the evidence is relevant, so you won?t spend a lot of time wondering if the evidence you have is any good. (At least in the cases I?ve solved so far that is)

The part of the game I?m enjoying the most is when you get to cross-examine your witness in the court. The witness?s testimony is broken down and you have the option to press them for more clarification. The antics between pressing them and then presenting evidence that shows their testimony has flaws to outright insults being flung about is totally hilarious and so far I find myself just cracking up during this part of the game. It?s wonderfully done as even the music reflects the changes as when you find the correct point to show the flaws in a testimony you get a victorious type of flashy music that?s just too funny. And watching the witness or person you cross examine go through all the expressions they use depending on their mood is priceless.

At this rate, this is definitely going to be one of my all time favorite games. If you haven?t played it yet, you?re missing out. ^_~ So who else has this game and what's your take on it? I've heard there may be another released and I certainly hope so as I've really enjoyed playing it.
[/COLOR]

yes i believe there is going to be another 2 games of phoniex wright. I mostly know this because of all the yaoi fandom that was created for the game.

I completed it a few months ago and some of the episodes are really hard, i even had to look up a walkthrough for one partically episode. I couldn't believe how gay Mile's acted in the 4 episode though, it was so funny he was such a uke and that was what made me wonder wheather he was gay or not and if there was alot of fandom on phoneix and miles, and sure enough there was.

The game was better then i expected too, the plots that are in each episode are truely gripping, not just in one but in each episode. I loved the second to last one with miles in it, it was just great and really hard to figure out. But the last episode was the hardest one ever, i was so such over what was going and who was guilty.

I am defaintly going to get the 2nd and 3rd game when it comes out though.
NO OBJECTIONS!

Phoneix Wright is actually a continuation of the Comeback Courtroom series. If I remember correctly, The first person you defend in number 3 is Mr Wright himself who is charged with Murder. Quite a Fun series also with plenty of Anime slapstick humour in it that didn't have any games translated until Ace Attorney on the DS.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]This game makes me wish I had a DS Lite. >_< Especially since SunfallE let me borrow hers and play the first and second case over the weekend.

It was so wonderfully wacky and cheesy and the music from how it?s calm to slowly increasing in pace as you go through the trial is just so funny! And all of the characters expressions through out the process and what Phoenix is thinking when he questions them is just too hilarious! And Edgeworth, he?s such a funny character as well.

I especially loved how you could press the witnesses with a hold it or objection to either get more clarification or to present evidence as the results were so fun to watch.

It?s definitely going to be one of the first games I get when I finally get a DS Lite. :catgirl: [/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=RoyalBlue'] Considering how much fun this game is I?m surprised that no one has created a thread on it.[/COLOR][/quote]

I had actually made one on Group Sounds a while back and since most of the people who posted in this forum at the time posted there as well, I just figured I would plug the game in my normal posts every chance I got instead.

Anyway, the sequel, Justice For All, hits the states in January, so I'll be all over that. The game is actually out in Japan right now, but I would rather contribute to domestic sales instead of importing.

Unfortunately, it seems as if they've decided not to add a new, DS-specific case this time. People complained about the quality of the fifth case in the last game, and although the writing wasn't quite as good as the first four cases, I still loved the new features that took advantage of the touch screen. It's a shame that we won't be seeing that this time around, but as long as the translation is just as good as last time I won't mind too much.

Oh, and if you want to see something amusing, do a search for "Phoenix Wrong" on Newgrounds. heh

• 3 weeks later...
Good Lord, that game was fun. I played through the first 4 cases and by the time I got to the end of #4, I had such a bad migraine, it wasn't funny. PW:AA was a good game, all in all, but its difficulty is not to be trifled with. It is a very mature, yet sometimes kiddy-humorous, but it's not for the faint of heart.

They're making sequels? DOOD! I gotta get them when they come out, that is for sure. And I'll take your advice Charles.

[quote name='Venge']They're making sequels? DOOD! I gotta get them when they come out, that is for sure. [/quote]

Well, keep in mind that these games have already been made. The Phoenix Wright games are ports of already-existing Japanese Gameboy Advance titles.

The series is actually reaching its fourth installment in Japan where [spoiler]Phoenix Wright is no longer the main character. He is retired and plays piano at a hotel. He is also the first client that you will defend in that game.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkOrchid']It?s definitely going to be one of the first games I get when I finally get a DS Lite. :catgirl: [/COLOR][/quote][color=#007520]That's actually what I said... Now I can't find any stores in my area that sell Phoenix Wright or Trauma Center.

-[i]sigh[/i]-

-r2[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]They've quite selling it here too. >_< So by the time I get a DS Lite I'll have to convince my Mom to order it online from a place like Amazon since I don't have a credit card.

She already knows I want it though and I'm hoping that it will be among the things I get for Christmas. ^_^ Especially since SunfallE let me play hers again and I completely enjoyed the third case.

Though I suppose if I don't get it; all's not lost since I know SunfallE will let me play hers. ^_~ Still I?d love to have my own so I can play them again as I just love the antics, wacky music and over all cheesiness of the whole game. [/COLOR]

• 5 months later...
[QUOTE=Venge]
They're making sequels? DOOD! I gotta get them when they come out, that is for sure. And I'll take your advice Charles.[/QUOTE]

Yep Out right now is PW: Justice for All which is #2
And coming soon is PW: Trials and Tribulations
Where yes, the first person you defend is Phoenix, while you play as Mia

• 4 months later...
Okay... If Zelda hasn't quite been enough to tempt me to get a DS, then this certainly could. One of my roomates was playing this other day and pretty much insisted that I give it a whirl. Oh my hell, I can't recall the last time a game made me laugh as much as this did over some of the antics in the first case. It's amazing how something that could have easily been totally cheesy, turned out to be such fun. The final court moments were totally funny. I found myself having Pheonix press the witness just because of how zany it was with the music and such. Heh.

So this is yet another thing that I wouldn't mind having and yet can't really afford at the moment. Oh well, I don't really have time for more games anyway. I'll definitely pick it up when I finally do get a DS though.

• 3 weeks later...
Of course, I picked up Phoenix Wright 3, day one. I don't want to spoil too much, but I'm up to the fourth case and as the resident PW fanatic on the board, I am qualified to tell everyone that this game is shaping up to be my favorite in the series. Although some criticize the game for being too familiar, using too many assets from previous games (which I don't entirely dispute), I find that the familiarity is sort of fitting for the finale of the trilogy.

I will also note that the way the cases tie in to one another is extremely satisfying. The plot feels very cohesive and the new prosecutor is waaaaaaaaay better than Francesca von Karma. The way the game is paced and balanced is a significant improvement as well. Typically the evidence you have to present is more logically determined than it was before.

So, once again, I urge everyone on this board to pick up the new Phoenix Wright. Unless you haven't played the other two. If not, pick up the first two games and then also buy the new one.

[size=1]Right now I'm on the final case of game two. After I beat it, I do intend to pinch my pennies for game three [if I can't, there's always Christmas].

Nice to hear Godot's better than Fransizka, though. I can't freaking stand Franny. I was jumping for joy when [spoiler]Edgeworth came back and took over for case four, at least where I am now[/spoiler], though I may be [i]slightly[/i] biased...

I mean, she whips you for the smallest thing! WHY IS SHE NOT BEING PENALIZED? Did she bribe the judge somehow?

...Actually, I'd rather not know that.[/size]

I ordered the new Phoenix Wright off Amazon, but it's not going to arrive here until mid-November because I'm cheap and don't want to pay shipping. It'll be well worth the wait, though, I'm sure. :)

I really want to see if any of the new cases approach the amazing final case in the second Phoenix Wright, though. Any word on whether one (or more!! :O) of the cases are that good, Charles?

[quote name='Shinmaru']I ordered the new Phoenix Wright off Amazon, but it's not going to arrive here until mid-November because I'm cheap and don't want to pay shipping. It'll be well worth the wait, though, I'm sure. :)

I really want to see if any of the new cases approach the amazing final case in the second Phoenix Wright, though. Any word on whether one (or more!! :O) of the cases are that good, Charles?[/QUOTE]

Well, I've only just started the final case in Trials and Tribulations and so far, it's [i]amazing.[/i] I haven't even made it to court yet and there have already been some incredible twists that have been built up across the whole game. I'll keep you updated but it's definitely starting out better than the last case in Justice for All.

Having said that, so far I wouldn't say that I like any one case better than the last one in Justice for All, but I will say that all of the cases work together really well, to create one very strong plot that wasn't necessarily there before. This game does not feel very "episodic," I should say.

So yeah, at the very least you're still looking at an overall narrative that's much stronger than before.

• 3 weeks later...
I finished the game a few days ago, and it lived up to my expectations and then some, especially the final case, which is one "OMG AWESOME" moment after another. From [spoiler]playing as Edgeworth~![/spoiler] to [spoiler]the ****ing hysterical Canadian judge (who is the brother of the series' main judge - who is also Canadian now, I guess??)[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Godot's plan of vengeance against Dahlia Hawthorne[/spoiler] ... what a ride, is all I can say.

I also agree with Charles that generally the evidence presented is more logically determined than random "WTF does this have to do with it??" evidence that pops up more often than you'd like in the second game (though there is still some of that in the game). Even when some of the evidence seems that way at first, after the explanation given it fits in logically. It's more satisfying than randomly trying out evidence and hoping to God it works, haha.

Now I just need to find the first Phoenix Wright game and finally play that... :(

I actually liked the last case better than Justice for All's. What did you think, Shinmaru?

[spoiler]I liked the pure fan service, like playing as Edgeworth. The ending with Godot was pretty emotional too and pushed him over the edge as one of my favovrite characters in the series. Little details, like when Godot saw Mia in Phoenix and when Phoenix drunk the coffee at the end, were particularly awesome.[/spoiler]

Overall, I was very pleased.

Yeah, I thought about it for while, and I like the final case in Trials and Tribulations more than the final case in Justice for All, as well. JfA's final case was a great conclusion to the game; TaT's final case was a great conclusion to the [i]trilogy[/i]. It just wraps up so many things in such a satisfying way. So awesome.

As I mentioned before, there are so many great moments that come one after another. [spoiler]Phoenix drinking the coffee at the end is a good one (the fact that he had his "I FOUND A CONTRADICTION" face on while he was drinking it had me laughing for a good few minutes). Also, right when Elise Deauxnim showed up, I was immediately like, "...Misty Fey?? Could it be????" So great, haha. I also liked the build-up to Godot's involvement in the fifth case. Once you realize Godot is Diego Armando and remember that he was the lawyer killed by Dahlia Hawthorne, there's that tugging in the back of your mind about how that will play out in the final case. The moment where Phoenix accuses Godot of engineering the whole thing is so amazing.[/spoiler]

More people must play this!!

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I'm very sad, as I'm only on the last case of the first game... :'<

I haven't the time to beat it, as I'm in the process of beating games I have in my posession that belong to friends of mine.

But my God, have I enjoyed it so much.... D: <3

[IMG]http://www.court-records.net/animation/phoenix-confident(b).gif[/IMG]
ABSOLUTE BEST POSE OF WRIGHT: THE "HANDS ON HIP OF VICTORY."[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Charles'][url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=90Rwz7JG2Vg[/url][/QUOTE]

Charles, You post this, but miss the [U]real[/U] gold?

[URL="http://www.cybermoonstudios.com/phoenixboot.html"]http://www.cybermoonstudios.com/phoenixboot.html[/URL]

Anyway, I regret to say, I've never played the first Phoenix Wright. However, I picked up Justice for All on the cheap the other day and [B]can't seem to put it down.[/B] I like the way the cases make you think as hard as humanly possible or lose a lot of ground. There are a few pieces of testimony I never would have gotten without constant Hit-and-Miss attempts. Also, Franzeska von Karma is one of the most interesting opponents I have ever faced in a video game period. I think I just joined the Pearl Fey fanclub, too.

• 2 weeks later...
ace picked up the first game a while ago about 3 days or so. he hasn't put it down since in fact right now he's playing a video of it. he's actually beat the first ace attorney game now. he's also kind of creapy about it. I also think the game makes you kind of creepy i was paranoid last night.

[quote name='songsofsorrow']he's also kind of creapy about it. I also think the game makes you kind of creepy i was paranoid last night.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=2353905"]http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=2353905[/URL]

Anyway, yes, it's true. I got Ace Attorney not too long ago and finally beat the 5th case about 3 days ago. My opinion: Although the Touch Screen features are fun to mess around with, some of the case is far too confusing at times. For example, talking to the head detective in order to [spoiler]get the lost item report[/spoiler] took me forever to figure out, and I only stumbled on that one by chance. It felt a little like Pirates 2 at one point, with the exception being Dead Man's Chest moves the plot along regardless of whether you know what is going on. I hope Apollo Justice does this stuff better than Rise from the Ashes did.

Overall, though, excellent game. The characters in case 5 kept it from getting too stale.