OtakuBoards

Otaku Idol 2: Who Wants To Be An Event Master? [Member Feedback & Interviews]

Shy

I have sent up my article to Otakupedia entries -thread about SunfallE, who was one of the people who gave me constructive criticism. A fast link to the post is [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?p=758254&posted=1#post758254][B]here[/B][/url].

Now to answer the questions:

[B]1: What bothered you so much about their criticism towards you and your event?[/B]

Well, I wasn't really bothered by anobody who gave me [I]constructive[/I] criticism (namely SunfallE, Charles, BKStyles, Aaryanna and Aaryanna_Mom). To my knowledge, constructive feedback means that [I]aside[/I] from pointing out where the receiver went wrong, it also includes [I]suggestions[/I] on how to change it for the better.

Some people (especially Boo, DeathKnight and PapaSmurf) gave me [I]criticism[/I], but it was far from constructive. I was [I]bothered[/I] by the fact that Boo hadn't even read my first post to the Labyrinth Nexus entirely but squashed it anyway, and that DeathKnight started to belittle me after I responded to him, and I'm not going to even go to what PapaSmurf said. But this is all opening old wounds, so I'm just going to leave it at this.

[B]2: What did you learn in your research that surprised you the most? How did learning about them affect your opinion of this member?[/B]

About SunfallE? I was surprised by the fact that she was so active in theOtaku and MyOtaku as well, not only OtakuBoards. But making an article didn't change my opinions of her in anyway, because I've respected her all along.

[B]3: Do you feel their criticism is more justified after learning more about their experience on the boards? Please elaborate.[/B]

Uh... I don't know if I understood this assignment very well. Was I supposed to make an article about the people who I felt gave me [I]unjust[/I] criticism, not the people who gave me [I]constructive[/I] criticism?

Sorry, Shy, but apparently I've got it wrong. :/

[B]4: If any, what steps have you made to address member criticism towards your event.[/B]

Steps? In my opinion I've [I]always[/I] been open to member criticism, I just have the idea that if it's not respectful and constructive, I won't take it - and I [I]will[/I] defend my views in those cases. I know I'm overly sensitive by these things, but it's my personality and I can't just change it in a blink of an eye.

However, I'm working on my patience and "humbleness", if you can say that. I still don't approve that some members are allowed to add downright insulting stuff as a part of their criticism here, brushing it off as "sarcasm" or "witty sense of humor". It's easy to talk like that when you're at the Internet, but some people tend to forget that there's a [I]real living humanbeing[/I] behind every single screenname, each with their own emotions, personalities and backgrounds. Not everybody can handle such type of "humor".

But yeah, I have a lot of personal issues which I've been working on...

[B]5: Why is member feedback so important to Community Events?[/B]

Feedback is always important, because no improvement can happen unless it's given and received. I feel that the "event suggestion thread" that Aaryanna_Mom promoted at the Feedback Forum was a great idea in terms of improving Community Events.

However, when giving feedback, people really need to realize that their views are always subjective, and not just assume that their suggestions and corrections are taken in an instant. We all have our own opinions on how things should work, for example at the Community Events, but it's impossible to combine [I]all[/I] those opinions.

But yeah, improvement happens when one reflects one's own opinions to those of others, and really thinks about what went wrong and what didn't.

[SIZE=1]Hope these answers satisfy you, Shy, even though I probably didn't catch your original idea.[/SIZE]

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=Sandy]Steps? In my opinion I've [I]always[/I] been open to member criticism, I just have the idea that if it's not respectful and constructive, I won't take it - and I [I]will[/I] defend my views in those cases. I know I'm overly sensitive by these things, but it's my personality and I can't just change it in a blink of an eye.

However, I'm working on my patience and "humbleness", if you can say that. I still don't approve that some members are allowed to add downright insulting stuff as a part of their criticism here, brushing it off as "sarcasm" or "witty sense of humor". It's easy to talk like that when you're at the Internet, but some people tend to forget that there's a [I]real living humanbeing[/I] behind every single screenname, each with their own emotions, personalities and backgrounds. Not everybody can handle such type of "humor".

But yeah, I have a lot of personal issues which I've been working on...[/QUOTE]
Not all criticism is constructive, and not all constructive criticism will outright hold your hand and tell you what to do. Dealing with **** like that is what makes a good Event Master - exploding publicly on things that are less the current criticism (even if its unfounded) and more past, unrelated history, doesn't. If you win this (ha), I'd recommend changing your attitude to your critics, because it didn't win you any friends in this thread, and made you look like a dick to everyone else who was just watching.

Also, congratulations on your event not bombing. I mean, I've not read it, cause my interest in RPs is minimal at best (especially those I'm not involved in), but it looks like it has a good number of replies, for an RP. Not an event, mind, but it's doing well for an RP.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
If you win this (ha), I'd recommend changing your attitude to your critics, because it didn't win you any friends in this thread, and made you look like a dick to everyone else who was just watching.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I [I]did[/I] make new friends in this thread, and SunfallE was one of them. And according to some PMs I received, [I]I[/I] wasn't the one being a dick here, either...

The truth remains that I did [I]not[/I] "explode" once in this thread, and I did [I]not[/I] turn off all the criticism I received. Just the ones that I found unbased (and the ones calling me stupid, retarded and bitchy).

I might not have your support, DeadSeraphim, but don't mistake me for one who has no friends around here.

[quote name='Charles']Sandy, you should have definitely chosen Alan for your assignment. At the very least, it could have served as the pilot for a new Odd Couple. That interview would have been an event in and of itself![/quote]

I actually thought about it, but then Shy beat me to it. I don't know if I would've had the guts for it, anyway. XP

I'd imagine it really [I]would've[/I] been entertaining for the outside viewer, though.

[size=1]Your article and answers were more than acceptable, Sandy. SunfallIE is a great member, and I was pretty interested in the stuff I learned from your entry. Kudos to you, good sir!

White posted his entry about Charles, which was quite solid, but has yet to reply to the questions. Please keep in mind that doing both is neccessary for moving forward in the competition. Gavin has yet to post anything, so time will only tell what that means.

I would also like to congratulate Sandy for the success of his event so far. From an 'outsider's view,' Labyrinth remains the most coherent and entertaining of the projects. Admittedly this isn't saying much, since Kumite is [i]still[/i] abandoned, and Mafia might as well be posted in Latin. It's just that confusing to me.

Shy[/size]

Yeah, Labyrinth seems to be doing pretty well, although I don't really enjoy reading RPGs just for the heck of it. I do like how the posts use cards.

I thought Mafia was a brilliant idea, but it faltered somewhat in execution. The thing about Mafia is that although it's a very well-known game for the most part, not everyone has heard of it. Plus, there are hundreds of variations on it floating around. None of this should have made it impossible to port it over into a successful online version, so to speak, but there should have been a clearer, "Idiot's Guide to~" type of explanation of the rules. I would also have suggested tweaking and streamlining the rules to maximize the amount of [i]visible[/i] discussion--private message conspiracies might be fun enough for participants, but for observers, it's not terribly interesting if it can't be seen.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Heehee, question time.

[B]1: What bothered you so much about their criticism towards you and your event?[/B]
I wasn't bothered by any of the criticism at all. It was all true. Mafia isn't as much as a community event as it could be and I've slowly been trying to fix that (which is hard to do when the event has already started!). :o

[B]2: What did you learn in your research that surprised you the most? How did learning about them effect your opinion of this member?[/B]
I found out a lot of interesting facts about Charles while interviewing him, hehe. I think the one thing that sticks out the most is that he originally came to OtakuBoards to spam up the place but came to fall in love with the place. ;)

I've always held the same opinion about Charles. I talk to him frequently (not quite daily, but enough to know the guy) and I enjoy our conversations. He remains to be one of the only members on OB that I talk to about video games just because of his vast knowledge in the field.

[B]3: Do you feel their criticism is more justified after learning more about their experience on the boards? Please elaborate.[/B]
No, not really. It really couldn't have been more justified than it already was. It was all entirely true and I took it in as well as I could. I do believe Charles, of all people, deserves to throw in criticism the most just because he was once in this position, creating an event for the community to enjoy. He's also got deep history here so he knows more about the community than I do.

[B]4: If any, what steps have you made to address member criticism towards your event?[/B]
I've really tried my hardest to involve more people in Mafia. Currently we are in a voting stage and I'm letting two outsiders to vote whether or not they think Boo is guilty (I currently have one vote from an outsider so there is still a spot left). I'm also going to be letting more outsiders take part in a much deeper role later on. :whoops:

[B]5: Why is member feedback so important to Community Events?[/B]
Member feedback is important so that we, the event masters, can make our events better. They are, after all, [i]for[/i] the community. If the majority of the community doesn't like an event and the event master fails to respond to any feedback, the event will inevitably fall because of lack of participation.

Hmm. For some reason my answers are a lot shorter this time around. *shrug*

[quote name='Dagger]I would also have suggested tweaking and streamlining the rules to maximize the amount of [i]visible[/i'] discussion--private message conspiracies might be fun enough for participants, but for observers, it's not terribly interesting if it can't be seen.[/quote]
Yeah, I thought that too... I just can't really think of anything. If you have any suggestions feel free to PM me because that'd be great.[/FONT][/COLOR] :blush:

[quote name='Sandy]To my knowledge, constructive feedback means that [I]aside[/I] from pointing out where the receiver went wrong, it also includes [I]suggestions[/I'] on how to change it for the better.[/quote]

[color=crimson]Numerous constructive suggestions were provided to you by a multitude of members, suggestions I agreed with and found the idea of repeating them over and over to be monotonous. I don't really care about the flaws of the event, flawed events can be fixed and improved upon. Mistakes made in them can be remembered for future events. It's not like Mafia or Kumite are stellar W-O-W entries, all three of these events are pretty mediocre.[/color]

[quote name='Sandy]Steps? In my opinion I've [I]always[/I] been open to member criticism, I just have the idea that if it's not respectful and constructive, I won't take it - and I [I]will[/I'] defend my views in those cases.[/quote]

[color=crimson]No, lol. You always melodramatically rage against any little skeptical or antagonistic point of view like a victim in a Shakespearean play valiantly defending your views to the point that you win just because it's nauseating to continue dealing with you.[/color]

[quote name='Sandy']I know I'm overly sensitive by these things, but it's my personality and I can't just change it in a blink of an eye.[/quote]

[color=crimson]I don't mind your personality informally, you'd probably be a fun friend to chit chat with, lol.

I mind your personality when it's combined with a position of leadership, importance and responsibility where you would be subjected to the scrutiny of the community who expect so much from these silly events.[/color]

[quote name='Sandy]It's easy to talk like that when you're at the Internet, but some people tend to forget that there's a [I]real living human being[/I'] behind every single screen name, each with their own emotions, personalities and backgrounds. Not everybody can handle such type of "humor".[/quote]

[color=crimson]I doubt Alan, Papa Smurf or myself ever forget that point Sandy.[/color]

[quote name='Sandy]I'm sorry, but I [I]did[/I] make new friends in this thread, and SunfallE was one of them. And according to some PMs I received, [I]I[/I'] wasn't the one being a dick here, either...[/quote]

[color=crimson]I never deny being a dick and I doubt Alan would either. Papa Smurf would probably just ignore you and continue arguing like the fool he is most of the time proving he was/is a dick.

In the end Labyrinth is doing well. It's an enjoyable enough read although participating in it is probably more difficult than just leisurely reading it, lol. The quirks to it keep it from being too monotonous.. but as a veteran of the Adventure Arena I can stomach the monotony that is left.

So you have a successful event, you are basking in the effervescent glow of abundant friendship and you have a no-nonsense attitude towards the evildoers that lurk on OB touting their sarcastic points of view and shameful use of logic.

Life is good when you're as pimpin' as that.[/color]

[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial][QUOTE=Sandy]I actually thought about it, but then Shy beat me to it. I don't know if I would've had the guts for it, anyway. XP

I'd imagine it really [I]would've[/I] been entertaining for the outside viewer, though.[/QUOTE]
I'd have sooner slit my wrists...

And man, if you didn't explode, you'd not have spent three posts arguing with Papa Smurf passive aggressively over ****ing semantics. Since when is that not an explosion? You're a pressure cooker dude, one bit of crit you don't like and BOOM. You can conveniently forget about stuff like that, and point at how you used smileys when talking back at SunfallE or Aaryanna, but the community as a whole is gonna remember the times you got into flame wars over things you could've ignored, especially if you don't consider them important enough to accept as criticism.[/font][/color][/size]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]
...but the community as a whole is gonna remember the times you got into flame wars over things you could've ignored, if they weren't so important.[/font][/color][/size][/QUOTE]

But the community will also remember that I wasn't the one who initiated the flame wars, it was always trolls like you. ;P [SIZE=1](<- there's a smiley for you)[/SIZE]

[quote name='Sandy']But the community will also remember that I wasn't the one who initiated the flame wars, it was always trolls like you. ;P (<- there's a smiley for you)[/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]A smilie doesn't quite have the same effect when you insult the person. :p*[/font]

[size=1]*Proper use of a smilie.[/size][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sandy']But the community will also remember that I wasn't the one who initiated the flame wars, it was always trolls like you. ;P (<- there's a smiley for you)[/quote]

[color=crimson]Yeah. You weren't the first to piss in the piss fight.[/color] :rolleyes:

[color=crimson][size=1]^okay use of smilie.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Sandy]But the community will also remember that I wasn't the one who initiated the flame wars, it was always trolls like you. ;P [SIZE=1'](<- there's a smiley for you)[/SIZE][/quote]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Who will they actually care about and remember, the mod cum Event Master who holds a position of authority, or the troll who was just using him for the fun of it?

Protip: [i]Not the troll.[/i][/font][/color][/size]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Who will they actually care about and remember, the mod cum Event Master who holds a position of authority, or the troll who was just using him for the fun of it?

Protip: [i]Not the troll.[/i][/font][/color][/size][/QUOTE]

*nods* Agreed. But I'm so happy that you finally show your support my Event Mastership! :D

*writes DeadSeraphim to his List of Supporters*

[quote name='DeathKnight][COLOR=Red']I mind your personality when it's combined with a position of leadership, importance and responsibility where you would be subjected to the scrutiny of the community who expect so much from these silly events.[/COLOR][/quote]

I love it how you compare me to a toddler who's getting his hands on a missile launching button. XD Trust me, I'm not [I]that[/I] bad.

[quote name='Sandy]I love it how you compare me to a toddler who's getting his hands on a missile launching button. XD Trust me, I'm not [I]that[/I'] bad.[/quote]

[color=crimson].. You can ban people as an Event Master, correct?

This isn't just about Events. This is about [b]you[/b] having that level of authority. You [b]are[/b] that bad.[/color]

[QUOTE=Sandy]*nods* Agreed. But I'm so happy that you finally show your support my Event Mastership! :D

*writes DeadSeraphim to his List of Supporters*

I love it how you compare me to a toddler who's getting his hands on a missile launching button. XD Trust me, I'm not [I]that[/I] bad.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
Hey, don't read into it too much. Let's not go nuts here.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]I think that's the closest to a reconciliation we're going to get from these two, lol.

[center]* * * * *[/center]

-Anywho, offering feedback now that we are deeper into the game i'd like to say that that I actually do find it surprising that people outside of the event are into Labyrinth as i thought we would have lost a few people by now. The story definitly could be flowing smoother but we have worked out quite a few interestin and fun mini-storylines between some characters thus far.

Someone already mentioned in this thread that being one of the writers for it entails more then just fun, which couldn't be more true. Now in round 2, things are heating up as everyone is trying to figure out what moves to make to ensure their survival and how to properly use all of the cards they have (whether it be teleport, life, or death). Alliances may have been made, enemes as well, but the best part about it for us i'm willing to say is the combination of the tension and exhiliration of secrecy mixed with the play-through of the thread itself, which gives us practically 95% control of everything that goes on to anybody.

Whether or not any of the progress has cleared up whether it is still worthy to be recognized as a [b][u]Community Event[/b][/u] I do not know, it depends on if you count member interest in reading it. It still may not seem like the best example, but considering Labyrinth in comparison to the other events, it is seemingly doing best.

-With White's Mafia, it definitly seems to have slowed down (note the word [u]seems[/u]) and though the concept itself does seem like a simple one, it is less than thrilling for people to follow along with it. That is one thing i thought would be best about it, but it seems to be only that in the eyes of those involved. Concerning the sign up, i recall White creating a deadline with no specific time within that deadline (i.e a day without a time), and he closed the sign-ups rather early in the day considering he had not even received the max amount of sign-ups he could have. I for one intended to sign up, which i didn't see as a problem since it would have been by the designated deadline [u]and[/u] would have added to the amount of players. Had the sign-ups remained open, he might have also received more sign-ups other then myself and could have possibly gotten the max amount. So the sudden start of the game puzzled me, as well as the failure to clarify a definite deadline.

-Concerning Gavin, the reconstruction of Kumite looks great and i do actually intend on signing up to show my support if nothing more. If it is just myself and Death Knight then the silver lining is it is a better turn out than nobody. I don't know what the source is for the remaining lack of interest, it could be because of holiday hectics or simply because those already involved in the other 2 events have their hands full. Either way Gavin's refusal to go out silently is admirable.

[/font]

[quote name='BKstyles][font=tahoma']-Concerning Gavin, the reconstruction of Kumite looks great and i do actually intend on signing up to show my support if nothing more. If it is just myself and Death Knight then the silver lining is it is a better turn out than nobody. I don't know what the source is for the remaining lack of interest, it could be because of holiday hectics or simply because those already involved in the other 2 events have their hands full. Either way Gavin's refusal to go out silently is admirable.[/font][/quote]

[SIZE=1]That's good to hear BK, I've had interest from a few other parties, so I do hope it the grand finals of Kumite won't occur quite so soon. On a side note, I've really not had chance to start my Otakupedia article yet, as I've been studying like a madman for my Christmas tests next week. Hopefully however I should have something by Wednesday.[/SIZE]

[size=1]After thinking over the issue I have decided to drop Gavin (and Kumite) from the competition.

We are three weeks into this event and, for reasons we?ve discussed ad nauseum here, Kumite has failed to attract a following of its? own. While I commend Gavin for making multiple attempts to improve Kumite, none of them managed to take off. At this late juncture it is highly unlikely that he and his event could have made a significant impact in the competition.

It is best that our time and attention remain devoted to the two candidates who [i]have[/i] launched successful events, Sandy and White. Next week there will be a major change to the competition; one that promises to take the two away from their comfort zones and into a whole new situation!

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE=Shy][size=1]Next week there will be a major change to the competition; one that promises to take the two away from their comfort zones and into a whole new situation!
[/size][/QUOTE]

*hugs his comfort zone* Noooo!!! 8(

... Well, okay then. You know I'm a sucker for plot-twists, so I'll be waiting for it. ;D

And [B]Gavin[/B], I believe that if the time had been different, your event would've been a smashing success. It's a shame it didn't work out this time... Glad to have competed against you! :)

[SIZE=1]This is kind of ironic, I'd actually just logged on to announce I intended to withdraw from the competition due to a lack of success with my event. Anyway, thanks to Sandy and White for giving me the chance to compete against them, and I really do hope your events work out and become something to remember. Maybe I'll end up working with one of you on a new incarnation of Kumite at some stage in the future.

Anyway, good luck to both of you.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Okay, here's your plot twist...

Both of you have learned firsthand the difficulty in running a successful event. You may have thought that the most difficult portion of Otaku Idol 2 was over, but it's just about to begin!

[b]Both of you are to take control of the other's event [i]immediately[/i].[/b] You are to assume whatever responsibilities the other had in running their event, but you are forbidden to communicate with the other Event Master about what those responsibilities are!

There will be no direct (or even indirect) communication between you two, and any attempt to do so will mean your immediate disqualification from the event. Of course, you may communicate with the members participating in these event to figure out anything you need to know.

If you were successful in creating a straightforward and well-run event then someone should have no problem taking over the job of running it for you. Conversely, the strength and creativity of the event should be the only factor in its' success, not the person running it. This change will last for the duration of the competition.

Post your reactions to this change to the game here.

-Shy[/size]