OtakuBoards

Otaku Idol 2: Who Wants To Be An Event Master? [Member Feedback & Interviews]

Shy

[center][img]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4868/otakuidol2banneridea02copyve4.jpg[/img][/center][size=1]
Every so often moderators receive questions from regular members, asking how they too could become part of the OtakuBoards staff. In the past staff members were chosen based on post quality, and general understanding of the rules. Never before have members been given a chance to 'try out' a staff position before accepting it.

That changes today. [b]For the first time in OB?s history you will be given a chance to ?audition? for a staff position, specifically to replace myself as the board?s new Event Master.[/b] Since we are trying to find a new Event Master, the most logical thing to do was build an event around it. Here it is!

[b]Interested parties will be required to fill out a sign-up form and ?pitch? an idea for an event in this thread. This pitch must be no more than 1,000 words long. The event itself must not last any longer than 8 weeks (including any necessary sign-ups,) and cannot take place over more than two threads. Beyond that there are no creative restraints.[/b]

Those members who create the most organized, creative and interesting pitches will be given a chance to run those events for real, and act as a de facto Event Master throughout the duration of their event. Several members will be given this opportunity, and all of these events will be running at the same time. During this time I will provide commentary and answer member?s questions in this thread, but other than that I will have no direct participation in the events themselves.

Only when all of the events have ended will I and the staff?s administration look over the finalists and choose OtakuBoards? next Event Master. This choice will be made based off of the success of their event, and the qualifications of the event?s creator.

[b]This position is open to anyone interested, newbie, existing staff, or otherwise.[/b]

All members interested in applying must fill out the following form, in addition to ?pitching? their event:

[list][*]Why I want to become an Event Master:
[*]Why Community Events are important:
[*]Why I wouldn?t suck at the job:
[*]My favorite memory of OB:[/list]
[b]All of these pitches are due by November 10th[/b]. At that point the finalists will be notified, and all of the events will launch the following Monday. From that point on it will be either 8 weeks, or until all of the events have ended, that the final winner will be selected.

As stated above, all questions regarding this event should be posted in this thread.

Special thanks to [b]Charles[/b] for providing the idea behind this event, and to [b]Nomad[/b] for the nifty banner.

-Shy[/size]

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Shy]
[size=1][b]All of these pitches are due by November 10th[/b]. At that point the finalists will be notified, and all of the events will launch the following Monday. From that point on it will be either 8 weeks, or until all of the events have ended, that the final winner will be selected.
[/size][/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a fast pace. Better get to work, then! X)

I have two questions:

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but answering the additional questions doesn't affect the 1000 word limit on the pitching, right?

2. What do you exactly want from the pitching? Is it just meant to be an advertisement of sorts (á la the Coming Attractions thread), or does it have to include everything from the rules of the game to the sign-up form for the participants (as in a full-fledged plan)?

Sorry for the stupid-ish questions, I just wanted to be sure, heh.

[QUOTE=Sandy]1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but answering the additional questions doesn't affect the 1000 word limit on the pitching, right?

2. What do you exactly want from the pitching? Is it just meant to be an advertisement of sorts (á la the Coming Attractions thread), or does it have to include everything from the rules of the game to the sign-up form for the participants (as in a full-fledged plan)?[/QUOTE]
[size=1]Great questions, Sandy.

1. Right, answering the additional questions will not count towards the 1,000 word limit. The word limit on pitches is put in place so that members will try to explain their events as concisely as possible.

2. The pitch itself should be a general overview of the event. Things such as a sign-up form or artwork may be included in the pitch, but are not neccessary. If you are creating something like OB Survivor, featuring various challenges, it would be a good idea to include an example of the types of challenges the members will face. Including all of the challenges is [i]not[/i] neccessary, nor is including anything that might spoil the event.

In the case that you are pitching an event with a cohesive storyline, like The Legionnaires, only provide as much story information as neccessary. Make your pitch compelling enough to sell me in the event, but please don't spoil everything up front!

Also it is important that you explain the logistics of running such an event, and how you are going to physically do it. People don't realize how much work it is to run something like the Nifty Fifty, and I suspect that many of these pitches will be a little too ambitious. [b]You cannot use outside help for your event (the exception being asking other members or friends for artwork.)[/b] This all you, so don't overextend yourself.

-Shy[/size]

[font=tahoma]I have one question:

If the event involves competition, to what extent may the prize of winning be offered? Something within the mod's power i imagine but i was wondering if there are any specific guidelines. Obviously the "prize" so to speak for [i][b]this[/i][/b] event is a rare one and any stakes for the events pitched here are sure not to follow in example in terms of type of reward.[/font]

[size=1]The 'prize' for a competition-based event is up to the member creating it, but I would suggest something like a virtual trophy, or a custom member title. If your event is chosen, then the details of the prize can be determined as the event progresses.

-Shy[/size]

Here's my little form:

1) I wish to become Event Master to give the membership fun things to do that would be released every so often.

2) I believe Community Events are important because they pull us even closer together as the anime family we are.

3) I wouldn't "suck" at the job because I'm a fun and outgoing guy who really likes to spend time with friends, such as the ones I have on OB. I would do my best to give everybody a good time.

4) My favorite memory of OB was when I had that "e-thug fight" with Ima a few months after I signed up for OB. For those who remember that, we sounded so STUPID that I laugh every time I think about it.

Pitch:

My event idea is [B][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue]OB: Future[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]. The event would begin using one thread for people to give their ideas for something they would like to see in a future version of OB. This process would be allotted one week. After that week, those whose ideas qualified would be notified. The second thread would be used for the qualifiers to explain in heavy detail why their idea should become a part of OB in the future. This process would last the remaining seven weeks. The one whose idea was expressed the best would be declared winner. Of course, like I said above, the ideas chosen would definitely be within reason. This has been an idea of mine for a long time, and I would love to see what the OB?s great minds would express to us. This event would be held for two reasons: to perhaps add to the OB?s already definite awesomeness and to see if we really are the brightest anime and manga community on the web.

------
I sure hope this meets your standards!

~Tyler

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][B]Why I want to become an Event Master:[/B]
[INDENT]I want to become an Event Master because I'm a selfish person who isn't completely content except when in a position of authority. Also, the babes, the adoration, and the fame. It's mainly the authority though.[/INDENT]

[B]Why Community Events are important:[/B]
[INDENT]Community Events are important because an OtakuBoards without events would be an OtakuBoards without events, and dammit, [i]not on my watch[/i]. Also, people are far too uptight on this forum, and a nice stupid event should make them happier.[/INDENT]

[B]Why I wouldn?t suck at the job:[/B]
[INDENT]Do you have to ask? Look at me.[/INDENT]

[B]My favorite memory of OB:[/B]
[INDENT]Oh, God, there's so many. That time I flamed Sandy was a good one, and the time I flamed Adahn? Woah, that was a whopper. And how could I forget the time I flame MAMA! Jeez, that was like the high point of my trolling career. I can look back on that point and say "It doesn't get any better than this folks, from here on out it's all downhill". So many wonderful memories.[/INDENT]

[B]The event:[/B]
[INDENT]Picture it... a stadium filled to the brim with spectators... two fighters in the centre of a ring of fire and possibly feces... and one goal... kick the crap out of each other until a panel of judges pronounce the winner. For the victor? Eternal glory. For the loser? Shame, humiliation, and possibly tomatoes (also: feces). This is Ultimate OtakuBoards Fighter people. This is hardcore. This is intense. Only the best will survive.

So yeah, that's the basic premise. But it needs fleshing out, it needs expanding, it needs to be given wings so it may [i]fly[/i]. So here we go Shy. This is it. We're going the OB distance baby, and aint nothing gonna stop us now. Nothing at all.

So we get a group of [strike]suckers[/strike] players, and have them describe their characters, with no limits... well some limits. If there's God-modding going on I'm gonna have to put my foot down and tell them to change it. But people aren't stupid in general, so I'm guessing the people who get in would probably not be God-modding. Also, no flying. That just ruins things. But I digress.

These characters would have few to no limits on appearance and background, but a hammy background would be valued over Elrond the Dark Mage who grew up in desolate country as an orphan. This is meant to be like wrestling, see, and only Kane and Sting are serious in wrestling, and they still manage to ham it up. So hammy characters, who can't fly, but can do most anything else. This'll work, trust me.

So we throw them in the ring and we get em to fight. The winner goes onto the next round, the loser... gets temp-banned for a week. Of course, how do we decide the winner? See, you're not allowed to kill or OHKO the other character, the fight's gotta stretch out over four rounds. This means one character has to open, one has to close, and in the middle they can kick the snot out of each other, but no one gets conclusively beaten. That's where the judges come in.

The judges will look over the four posts, discuss things, then pronounce a winner. They're not just looking for skill at writing and combat though, they're gonna be seeing how well the characters hammed up, the taunts, the jokes, the show-boating... this is wrestling, not Gladiator, you have to entertain the crowd as you go. And if this means taking a chair to the back for the name of sports entertainment, you gotta do what you gotta do. It might even win you the match if you build it up hammily enough.

So you're knocking people off, they get through the preliminaries, then the quarter-finals, and etc, etc. Finally, after temp banning every loser, we'll be at the grand final. The two most entertaining, and probably viscious, fighters, facing off for OtakuBoards glory. The winner will get a prize - the loser will take a mighty fall from grace and will also get a prize... of a terrible custom status that advertises to the world that they were the Ultimate OtakuBoards Fighter [b]Runner-Up[/b]. In fluro, aggravating letters. Remeber, this competition is high-stakes, people.

High. Stakes.

Of course, between every round we'd have vignettes written by the Boards best writers to further the wrestling concept, and interviews with wrestlers who'd both won and lost, and the losers might even get a chance to redeem themselves after the temp ban is lifted... maybe. But yeah.

That's my idea![/INDENT][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1]This event features mature content in the form of explicit violence, crude language and possible adult situations.[/SIZE]

[center][color=DarkGreen][i]Where legends come to life
Where fairy tales are reality
Where dreams are seen with eyes wide open
Where there is no escape
Where is the Labyrinth?[/i]

[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/labyrinth3.png[/IMG][/center]

Fifteen people from the modern world, total strangers to each others, wake up at the center of the Labyrinth ? a seemingly endless maze where there are baffling wonders and deadly hazards around every corner. Very soon they find out that they possess peculiar powers that they did not have when they went to sleep, powers they know through fairy tales and folklore, powers of the heroes and villains of myths and legends reborn within them.

So begins a desperate race to find the way out of the Labyrinth. Some of the fifteen decide to team up, while some prefer to go solo. Death befalls on them one after another, for the maze is as lethal as it is miraculous. With only their new-found powers and each other to rely on, will any of the fifteen make it out of the Labyrinth?[/color]

[center]+++++[/center]

That, my dear OtakuBoarders, is up to you. [b]Seven players[/b] will be chosen to participate to this event, but instead of choosing roles for themselves, [b]everybody plays every character[/b]. The story will thus be told together, from the perspective of fifteen different characters.

But it wouldn?t be much of an event if there wasn?t a twist to it. Each of the seven players will [b]create two of the characters[/b], but keeping it a [b]secret[/b] which characters are theirs. Why, you ask? Because [b]only one player can win[/b] this event, and that one is whoever manages to have their character as the last person alive. Yes, only [i]one[/i] of the fifteen will manage to escape the Labyrinth at the end.

[b]Killing off characters[/b] is done by the players themselves. Each player can and should kill off one of the characters [b]once per week[/b] by using their weekly [b]Death Card[/b]. That card must be used during the week, but the exact moment and the method of dying is up to the player. When players [b]lose both of their own characters[/b], that player has lost the event and will have to leave it.

But as a ray of hope, there?s me, the creator of this event. I will create the fifteenth character, the [b]Black Horse[/b], who?s identity is of course secret from the players. [i]Only I will know which characters are created by which players[/i], unless a player is foolish enough to reveal them to the rivals. Because of my advantage, I will not have Death Cards, but one [b]Life Card[/b] per week, which I will use to [b]revive one of the slain characters[/b] at the end of the week.

Thus, the event is played in about three rounds lasting one week each. [b]At the end of the week[/b], I will use my Life Card and then announce which players have to leave the game in that round. After that, every remaining player is dealt a new Death Card for the next round.

For reference, this is what the Death Card and the Life Card look like:
[center][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/labyrinth-deathcard.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/labyrinth-lifecard.png[/IMG][/center]
I might also put some other cards into play to affect the event if necessary, but I?ll keep them up my sleeve for the time being.

Now you must be asking what is required to play [i]Labyrinth[/i]? The applicants must simply send me a [b]private message[/b] with the profiles of their two characters. There are certain requirements for the characters, however:
[indent][B]1.[/B] One must be [b]male[/b] and the other a [b]female[/b].
[B]2.[/B] At least the other character must be younger than 15 [b]or[/b] older than 35.
[B]3.[/B] Both of them must [b]originate[/b] from our time and somewhere on our planet.
[B]4.[/B] Both of them must have a [b]supernatural power[/b] that they got when they woke up at the Labyrinth. This time, I want you to think of something you would find in a fairy tale book or an ancient myth. Such powers could include transforming into a werewolf, petrifying objects with your gaze or slaying giants with a mere sling.
[B]5.[/B] You must include a [i]drawn[/i] (no real-life people) [b]picture[/b] of both of your characters faces, preferably in a square shape (as a hint, use avatars from video games or anime).[/indent]

I will choose the seven players among the applicants [B]in two weeks[/B], and we will play with their characters (and with my own one) for the duration of the event. Remember that playing with [i]only[/i] your own created characters is a perfect way to expose them to your opponents.

The actual event takes place in one thread, but I will make a second thread called [b]Labyrinth Nexus[/b] for ?underground? purposes, such as questions, comments and community?s feedback.

For a final hint, pretty much everything is possible inside the Labyrinth ? [i]except[/i] getting out before the end of the game.

[center]+++++[/center]

Now I?ll answer Shy?s questions.

[B]Who wants to be an Event Master?[/B]

Me, me!!!

[B]Why I want to become an Event Master?[/B]

Well, for starters, I've always been a sucker for all sorts of award shows, competitions and contests, and ever since I created the first OtakuBoards Survivor, I noticed I have a knack for creating such events for these boards. OB Survivor is pretty much the only (positive, heh) thing I'm famous for in this community, but I want to prove to both myself and everybody else that I'm not a one trick horse. I want to continue your legacy of providing OB with intriguing and versatile events to enjoy. I really am an entertainer by heart, I love to be on the lime light and make people feel good.

[B]Why Community Events are important?[/B]

The name tells everything: they're [i]community[/i] events, made for the community's sake to bring the individuals in it closer, to introduce them to each other and overall make this community a more active place. In this individualistic time, people lack the feeling of belonging to a community, to be a part of something bigger, and I think it's wonderful that internet and OtakuBoards in it offers that experience to them.

[B]Why I wouldn?t suck at the job?[/B]

My head is constantly filled with ideas, and I'm easily excited by new ones. But as the three OB Survivors prove, I can also push an idea all the way through it's execution and conclusion, and motivate others to do it with me. I have time for organizing events on my hands, and if i don't, I'll arrange it somehow. I'm not a person to start something and then leave it half-way done [I]unless[/I] I don't get any support from others. My imagination is also unparallel, much to the chagrin of my sense of reality.

[B]My favorite memory of OB?[/B]

Ah, being a part of this community for four and a half years now has really given me lots to reflect upon. Mostly positive, but also some negative memories. I fondly remember my time as a part of the Digipeeps, along with you and Ginny and Sara and Devildramon and the rest. We were a community within a community, and I loved our common project, Digimon Tamers V2, which really was grandiose until it died out (much because of James's attempt to get us Digipeeps out of our little den, sob). So yeah, that's my favorite one.
[RIGHT]
[size=1]Pictures courtesy of the member Eclipse and Heroes of Might and Magic V.[/size][/RIGHT][/FONT]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma][B]Why I want to become an Event Master:[/B] For the longest time I wanted to be an Event Master (this is before I became the Moderator of Play It). I've just always been some sort of event/game planner in everything I do and I love doing it. Being an Event Master is just the ultimate occupation for a guy like myself.

[B]Why Community Events are important:[/B] Community Events are just extremely entertaining for new [i]and[/i] old members. They really bring everyone together in a good way and it's a nice break from the regular OB.

[B]Why I wouldn?t suck at the job:[/B] I'm very creative. I come up with games and the sorts all the time with different things I'm involved in (church, camp, etc). I've got past experience with online events (even if it was on an online computer game, Lineage II) and everyone always enjoys the events or games I come up with.

I'm also very friendly. You can't have an Event Master that freaks out about every little thing that goes wrong, and that wouldn't happen with me seeing as my kind personality is an attribute I take pride in.

[B]My favorite memory of OB:[/B] I've just got to admit that participating in OtakuBoards Survivor: Game On! is my definitely favorite memory (kudos to my rival here, Sandy). Not only because it was just so much fun but also because it was fun 'till the end, making it stand out amongst other memories.

[center][b]My Pitch:[/b][/center][/FONT][/COLOR]
[center][img]http://tinyurl.com/y2n6d3[/img][/center]
[FONT=Tahoma]
[COLOR=DimGray]Based on the popular real life game "Mafia." This event will involve 13 members, not including myself or Shy.

Through the Private Messaging system on OtakuBoards, I will send each of the 13 members a "card." There are four cards in total: One Ace (the Detective), one King (the Priest), two Jokers (the Mafia) and cards 2 through 10 (the townsfolk).

The aim of the game is, if you are not the Mafia, to get rid of the Mafia. If you [i]are[/i] the Mafia, however, the aim of the game is to kill off everyone in the town. To do this, the game will go through a one week process involving a few steps.

[B]Day 1 and 2:[/B] The entire town "goes to sleep" and the Priest wakes up PMing me with the name of someone they would like to "bless." If this person was the person elected by the Mafia then they do not die. The Priest goes to sleep and the Mafia wake up to PM me with the name of someone they would like to kill. This person will die when the town wakes up. The Mafia go to sleep. The Detective wakes up and PMs me with who they think the Mafia is. If they are right, I will tell them they so. Detective goes to sleep. Town wakes up to find so-and-so dead (unless they were blessed that night).

[b]Day 2 - 4:[/b] The most interesting part of the game. This is the time period in which the town has to "discuss" who they think is the mafia. Only the Mafia, the Priest and the Detective can [b]lie[/b]. The townsfolk [b]may not[/b] lie. Once the time limit is up, the next step begins.

[b]Day 4 - 6:[/b] Accusations. Three members participating in the game will post one member they think is the Mafia and a reason why. Once three accusations have been made, everyone has 2 days to add onto the accusations and after that...

[b]Day 6 and 7:[/b] Defense. The three members that were accused will get one post to defend themselves, responding to the accusations. Once all three defense posts have been made, everyone will PM me with who they vote for and the most popular person is killed off. After this, everyone goes back to sleep and we go back to step 1.

The game ends when either the Mafia kills off all but 3 people (or 1, depending on the amount of Mafia left) or when both Mafia have been hung at trial.

The event will only take place in one thread but I may make another underground type thread for questions and the like.

The nice thing about Mafia is almost anyone can play it and it's just incredibly easy to pick up on. The game still involves a lot of strategy, though. The Mafia must wield the ability to lie correctly or else they may end up screwing themselves over. If the Detective does find out who the Mafia is, he/she's still got to convince other townsfolk that he knows to get rid of them. But you've got to be careful because you might accidentally be trying to convince another Mafia person. :)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][CENTER][B]Why I want to become an Event Master:[/B][/CENTER]

I want to become the Event Master to really challenge myself in terms of what I do here on the Boards, this site has given so much to myself and my fellow Oldies over the years I feel that in such a position I could be fulfil a truly important and necessary role, which has seen more and more application over the last few months.

[CENTER][B]Why Community Events are important:[/B][/CENTER]

Community Events have proven as much the glue for OB's community as any other segment of the boards, they are that rare time when everyone on Otakuboards regardless of age and seniority can come together and each have their voices heard with equal respect and consideration. Such events as the Nifty Fifty have proven that as a community we are more than willing to give credit where it is due to all those who make OB a better place, regardless of rank and privileges. Legionnaires collected some of the most talented role-players on the site and allowed them to express their work to a board-wide audience, and proved hugely successful in this regard. Put simply, without Community Events, Otakuboards would simply be a collection of different forums that shared the same root site.

[CENTER][B]Why I wouldn?t suck at the job:[/B][/CENTER]

I think I wouldn't "suck" at the job because I have experience in managing both people and "events" so to speak from my work in the Arena in terms of RPGs and stories. While it is true I've never held a position among Otakuboards' fine staff, in real life I'm heavily involved in the running of student bodies for my high school and have been for a considerable time, so I think I would be capable of dealing with most of the issues that would be sent my way. Finally I think overall I'm a fairly easy-going person, respectful and more than willing to listen to others, and above all very willing to have fun. All qualities which Josh has proven are necessities for being a great Event Master, he never seemed overbearing or unapproachable and every event was always about having fun

[CENTER][B]My favourite memory of OB:[/B][/CENTER]

After five years there are so many ones to pick from, but the one that really sticks out at me would have to be the Black Horizon RPG series from a couple of years ago. While the RPG itself was exceptionally enjoyable, it forged friendships for me with people whom I came to regard as being like a second family to me, and who's company I truly miss now that they're not longer around. These people know who they are, and I'm not going to go naming names just for the sake of doing so.

[CENTER][B]My Event:[/B]

[img]http://zeitgeistglee.250free.com/Kumite.jpg[/img]

So you think you're the best ?

You think there's no opponent you can't conquer ?

No environment you can't compete in ?

No skill you haven't mastered ?

[b]Prove it !![/b][/center]

Welcome to [b]Kumite[/b], Otaku[b]board[/b]?s first writer?s tournament. Gathering the sixteen most accomplished role-players, sparrer, poets and authors from the Arena, this event will pit them against one another in knock-out style rounds for the greatest prize of all, the title of Arena?s Best.

This event will function much like any RPG in the Adventure Square and it?s sub-forum, starting off there will be an application thread, where the title hopefuls will submit a sign up containing a character sign up of themselves based on fields which I will provide and three samples based on each of the areas of competition, role-player/spar, poetry and story-writing. These samples may be new works you write specifically for this event, or they may be works you?re content are examples of your best, however I will ask for all three. After this I will select the sixteen all-round best and post the main event thread in which these contenders will battle one another in one-on-one battles on each of the topics, the winner of two will go on to the Quarter Finals which will again repeat the same format until we have an overall champion. If you don?t quite grasp the set-up, think of it as the World Cup of OtakuBoards, with the first thread being the qualifiers.

Now you might be wondering how the actual one-on-one battles are going to be conducted in terms of content and how they?re going to be refereed. At the beginning of each contest, I will provide both players with a line of text or even just one word on which they?re to write their submission for that round, for poetry it may be something as simple as "Loss" or "Salvation" Where as for stories and role-plays it may be something along the lines of "His tobacco stained fingers stayed stationary for a moment..." after which both parties will make their submissions. Finally for spars, I will provide only the environment of competition and the reason, though this like the poetry section will be based on a single word like "Betrayal" The spars will consist of three posts each of no more than 400 words, after which a winner will be declared by either myself or the referee overseeing the match.

Seeing as I?ve mentioned referees twice I?m going to explain this in further detail. Given the scope of this event if successful, which I seriously hope it will be, I simply will not be able to manage every segment of the competition myself until we get to the later rounds such as the semis. Instead what I will do is ask those members who?s neutrality I am sure of, but who either did not make it into the main event or did not sign up to serve as referees for the matches I do not oversee personally. These referees will be anonymous, as to prevent floods of PMs attempting to sway their judgement and obviously they will not post in the event itself. Instead their verdicts will be PMed to me, and I will declare a winner. I know some will feel this may allow others to get away with having an inside man, but I see having the refs as anonymous as being fairer to them as well as the players involved in the particular match.

And that my friends is [b]Kumite[/b], a relatively simple event based on a simple idea to answer a question which has been going around the Arena for as long as time as I?ve been around. The game ends when we have a winner, and that winner as I said will receive the user title of "[b]Arena Champion[/b]", along with the massive respect and glory that goes with it. If I should be made Event, I would even like to make this an annual event in which the previous year?s winner competes against the new champion for their title. [/SIZE]

[size=1]Thanks to everyone who submitted an Event. I'm more than aware of how complicated these can be to come up with, so it was a pleasant surprise to see these 'pitches' as organized and thought-out as they were.

[b]Sandy[/b] (Labyrinth,) [b]White[/b] (Mafia,) and [b]Gavin[/b] (Kumite) have been chosen to compete as the finalists, which means that all three of their events will launch simeltaneously on Monday. Not [i]by[/i] Monday, but [i]on[/i] Monday. If there is a reason you won't be able to post your event on Monday pleae notify me via PM and we can work something out.

If members have any general questions or opinions about these competing events, or the proccess of choosing our new Event Master please feel free to use this thread to ask them. While these events progress I will 'interview' the candidates here, and give my professional opinions on how things transpire.

See ya Monday.

-Shy[/size]

Guest gundamx
My idea is that we should celebrate a day of anime, and we talk about how good it was to watch it. Then we talk about the classic anime and the anime that come on today like Gigantor and Gundam SEED.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Not to be nitpicky, but:
[quote name='Shy][font=verdana][size=1][b]You cannot use outside help for your event (the exception being asking other members or friends for artwork.)[/b] This all you, so don't overextend yourself.[/size][/font][/quote][quote=Gavin][font=verdana][size=1]Given the scope of this event if successful, which I seriously hope it will be, I simply will not be able to manage every segment of the competition myself until we get to the later rounds such as the semis. Instead what I will do is ask those members who?s neutrality I am sure of, but who either did not make it into the main event or did not sign up to serve as referees for the matches I do not oversee personally.[/size'][/font][/quote]I don't mean to rag on Gavin, but am I the only one that sees a contradiction here? Or do members that didn't quite make it into the main event count as participants, rather than 'outside help'?[/font]

[QUOTE=Raiyuu][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Not to be nitpicky, but:
I don't mean to rag on Gavin, but am I the only one that sees a contradiction here? Or do members that didn't quite make it into the main event count as participants, rather than 'outside help'?[/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Oh, good point, must have missed that. Thanks for the heads-up Raiyuu, better I see that now than half way through the event itself. Hmm, I may have to cut down the number of participants, or maybe alter the style of the battles to a single type of contest rather than a best of three. Anyway I should be ready by Monday.[/SIZE]

As Monday draws near, I just want to say to Gavin and White that I knew you two would be my adversaries ever since I read the ideas for your events. It'll be a tough competition with you two against me. From now on, let the best organizer win! ;D

It's [I]game on[/I]!

[quote name='Sandy]It's [I]game on[/I']![/quote]

[SIZE=1]Indeed it is Sandy, I'm sure I speak for White as well when I say I look forward to the competition and that regardless of who wins we'll give the members of OtakuBoards quite a show over the next two months. Honestly I can hardly wait for it all to begin, and after that I probably won't be able to wait until it's all over and a winner is decided. ^_^;

Anyway, good luck to everyone else.[/SIZE]

[size=1]We are reaching our first week of the events and so far the activity in this forum has been quite small. Sign-ups for Mafia seem generally low, Kumite's are non-existant. Since Labyrinth requires PMs as sign-ups, only Sandy knows for certain if his event is doing any better than the competition so far (although I suspect it isn't.)

[b]Interview One: Member Interest[/b]

White is the only one so far to make a change to the format of the sign-ups by allowing extra days for members to join Mafia. This shows a flexibility that is an important trait for any staff member to have. Also, Mafia has attracted members not typically involved in Community Events. Aaryanna_Mom stands out as a great member who had never participated in RPGs of Community Events before, but Mafia attracted her. Getting new members to the events forum rather than relying on a staple of 'regulars' is very important to me, and to the future of OB in general.

Kumite is definitely struggling, and my feeling is that it has to do with the demanding nature of the sign-up. The graphics tournaments usually have a great turnout, so why would a writing tournament fail to attract a following? These are things Gavin has to figure out if he hopes to make it past this early stage in the competition. Kumite has far too much potential to be dismissed over lack of member sign-ups.

(On a minor note: It should also be noted that despite Gavin's claim, Kumite is not OtakuBoard's original writing competition. That title goes to the original Otaku idol, started by the always-awesome Charles.)

Labyrinth remains the most secretive, and possibly least ambitious of the events that made it into this round. Many have complained that it's too similar to RPG work that Sandy has done in the past, and I personally would have liked to have seen something more original as well. Having said that, Labyrinth has the potential to be genuinely engaging to the members participating in it. I wonder if it will also be so much fun for non-participating members to read.

Remember that you are creating events for the entire community to enjoy, and Kumite is the only one of the three events that promises to actively involve the community as a whole. Anyone can sign-up for Mafia and Labyrinth, yes, but can you say your event is very entertaining to read through if you're not participating?

Although far from being the biggest failure in Community Events history, Kumite, Mafia and Labyrinth have failed to attract significant member interest. One wonders how much of this is due to a recent lull in activity forum-wide, and how much it has to do with the events themselves, or the people running them.

All three of you have a long and significant history with this forum, and members are aware that the success of your event directly ties to your candidacy as OtakuBoard's next Event Master

My questions are these. All candidates are required to answer them in full:

[b]1) How do you feel your standing in the OtakuBoards community has impacted the success (or lack thereof) of your event's sign-ups? Be specific.

2) How do you feel the standing of each other candidate in the OtakuBoards community has impacted their own success (or lack thereof)? Be specific.

3) Do you feel you have adequately promoted your event to the OtakuBoards community? How are you doing that?

4) Will your event be able to continue if you do not receive the quantity or quality of sign-ups you expected? What will need to change?

5) How have your expectations for member interest compared to [i]actual[/i] member interest in your event? How do you feel about that?

6) What do you blame for a lack of interest in these events so far? Please be specific.[/b]

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE][size=1]My questions are these. All candidates are required to answer them in full:

[b]1) How do you feel your standing in the OtakuBoards community has impacted the success (or lack thereof) of your event's sign-ups? Be specific.

2) How do you feel the standing of each other candidate in the OtakuBoards community has impacted their own success (or lack thereof)? Be specific.

3) Do you feel you have adequately promoted your event to the OtakuBoards community? How are you doing that?

4) Will your event be able to continue if you do not receive the quantity or quality of sign-ups you expected? What will need to change?

5) How have your expectations for member interest compared to [i]actual[/i] member interest in your event? How do you feel about that?

6) What do you blame for a lack of interest in these events so far? Please be specific.[/b]

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]
[b]1)[/b] I like to think that the fact that I'm a mod and/or a well-known member has nothing to do with getting good views, but I think we all know that isn't entirely true. A lot of people, I've noticed, won't even take a second glance at an Event/RP if the layout doesn't appeal to them or if the font is [i]all wrong[/i] and the same goes for the creator of the thread.

For some (and I won't say most, because I don't think that) people, they won't even read a thread if the creator has a bad past or is fairly new. Sometimes I wonder if Adam and some no-name member with a string of numbers attached to their screen name posted the exact same sign-up (with a different thread title) in the Adventure Inn a week apart, would there be any difference in the amount of views and replies? While it's impossible to know for sure, I think we can safely say that Adam would at least get more views than Noname123.

However that, I do not think, is the case here. Gavin, Sandy and I are all very well-known members. I would even argue that Gavin is more well-known than myself (in the adventure square, at least) so I really don't think member status has affected anything so far.

[b]2)[/b] My answer to number 1 is also an answer to number 2, really. Sandy, Gavin and I have basically the same standing on OB (aside from Sandy and I being staff members, but that would only attract very new members) so I doubt our status has affected the replies/views of our events. If you look, Mafia [The Town] may have the most views, but Mafia [The Underground] has the least. Both of them are mine.

[b]3)[/b] Two days before the event was posted, I changed my avatar to a Mafia-like icon with the text "don't sleep" on it (if anyone had read the summary in this thread, they would know it was a reference to Mafia). Same with the custom title I made at the same time, "kill or be killed" which is a bit less obvious but still something.

When the thread was posted on Monday, I changed my signature to a completely Mafia-inspired piece. I've had a Mafia banner (you know it's Mafia because of the text) in there since Monday and there are two links underneath the banner which forward you to my event.

There isn't a whole lot you can do other than that (though I do have plans for some other stuff) aside from spreading the news by mouth. I know for a fact that just telling friends to check out the Community Events forum has gotten me at least one sign-up.

[b]4)[/b] My event isn't very specific with the amount of members needed. I said 12 but I could easily fit in more or have less if I needed. The beauty of it is if you sign-up, and your answers to the questions are decent, you're basically guaranteed a spot. I've played Mafia with upwards to 30 people before and it worked out just as well as 8.

[b]5)[/b] I was actually a little shocked at how interested some people were in Mafia. I guess I should have expected it, since nothing like this has been done on OB before, but it was still a nice surprise.

Initially I thought Mafia would be slaughtered by Kumite and Labyrinth. So much writing.. so much though put into them... and Sandy and Gavin are both way better with words than I am. However, I didn't really think from a member's perspective. What they see are two glorified RP's and an Event. That's what I think, anyway.

[b]6)[/b] I think part of the lack of interest isn't lack of interest at all, but just a lack of members. A lot of my normal OB friends haven't even checked out the Community Events forum in a while and therefor didn't even know about Mafia, Labyrinth and Kumite.

However, there is still lack of interest. Part of this may be because of bad experiences with Mafia (though the majority of members have never even heard of Mafia before) but I think it's mostly because (in Mafia's case) members just don't feel like it. They don't have time for an event, or they don't think they could do it (although Mafia is extremely easy to pick up on!) so they just don't bother. This is why they need some serious motivation! :)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Shy][size=1]

[/size][/QUOTE]

[B]1)[/B] I don't think my position as a moderator has helped me one bit with this event, but it's the fact that I am the creator of three very successful "unofficial" events, namely the OB Survivors, as well as many, many other RPGs at the Adventure Square. I am aware that Labyrinth is quite close to the Survivors in some ways, but it also includes elements such as dynamic storytelling and superpowers that the Survivors didn't have. But Otaku Idol 2[I] is[/I] a contest, and I'd be a fool not to do what I know I [I]can[/I] do.

What comes to the sign-ups, I know it's kind of secretive but I actually have the required seven players already. I'm just tweaking some of their sign-ups together with them now. It's true that most of the people who've signed up have participated in my games before, but that only makes me more secure about the success of this event, because I know [I]all[/I] these people will stick with me until the end.

On the other hand, I haven't rejected anyone yet. Yes, there's been a total of seven sign-ups for me thus far. But luckily, that's enough! ;D

[B]2)[/B] It's hard to say... White has a lot of friends around here (based on his name reading on numerous signatures of other members), so I wouldn't be surprised if in the end he'd get the 13 players to his event. As for Gavin, he's well-known throughout our community, but because of his fame he might be a bit intimidating for some newer members to approach. But I have respect towards both of my rivals, and I hope they can both launch their events on time!

[B]3)[/B] My promotion of the game began before I made my pitch with a thread to the "Art by Request", where I asked for a banner/avatar for Labyrinth in exchange for a sure spot as a player in my event. I eventually chose Eclipse's pieces of art, and he's now one of the seven players as well. His banner is on my signature now, as well as working as a headline for my event.

I've also had AIM conversations about my event, as well as sent a private message to a selected few, so I've definitely done my share of advertising.

[B]4)[/B] If somebody drops out now, I can definitely do this event with only six players, but that would mean it will last much less time and wouldn't involve as many characters to play. It would be a big shame, really, but I'd still do it.

As for the quality of the sign-ups, I've requested several players already to change their character profiles, mainly because of similarities with other characters. That's the downside of "invisible" recruitment - the players don't know what others have already sent in.

[B]5)[/B] To be honest, with my OB Survivors gaining up to 30 sign-ups, I was amazed that I barely got the seven I needed. It's saved me the trouble of not letting good players in, though. But I guess there's always a reason for everything...

[B]6)[/B] OtakuBoards [I]have[/I] been terribly slow lately, especially when it comes to older members. I definitely "blame" real life, school and work can be really hectic when nearing the end of the year (at least my school is). It's hard for people to make commitments to events such as these three, which is why I intentionally made Labyrinth much "lighter" than my Survivors (this event only [I]requires[/I] a player to post once per week, although more is recommended). Time is money, as they say.

[SIZE=1][b]1) How do you feel your standing in the OtakuBoards community has impacted the success (or lack thereof) of your event's sign-ups? Be specific.[/b]

Truthfully I would hope that my standing on OtakuBoards has not impacted on the Event at all, as it was my aim to gather people together regardless of them standing so that people were starting off on a level playing field.

[B]2) How do you feel the standing of each other candidate in the OtakuBoards community has impacted their own success (or lack thereof)? Be specific.[/B]

Honestly I have to admit I've not really had a chance to view other people's events, though this is more so due to the busyness of my own life at the moment what with high school. However I will go back to my first response and say that I hope aside from perhaps attracting people based off our previous qualities of works, that the success or lack of is based purely off the events rather than our own statuses on OtakuBoards.

[B]3) Do you feel you have adequately promoted your event to the OtakuBoards community? How are you doing that?[/B]

Hmm, this is perhaps something I could have improved on. Like Sandy and White I've added a hyperlink to the thread to my signature, obviously titled Kumite "For the Glory" to reflect the event itself. However aside from adding that hyperlink I've done little in ways of obviously promoting the event, Sandy cleverly used the graphics forum to generate some interest by getting people to submit artwork, where as myself and White designed all the graphics and code for our events. I've tried to refrain from obviously advertising the event as I would prefer it if people join of their own accord rather than feeling as if I've pressured them into it.

[B]4) Will your event be able to continue if you do not receive the quantity or quality of sign-ups you expected? What will need to change?[/B]

This really goes back to what Raiyuu said about the referees. Kumite requires a player number that is a multiple of 8 to ensure that the rounds run smoothly from one to the other, so at eight applicants I would be willing to start the event though I would have hoped for more. As to what I would change, I've noted that a lot of members have expressed concern about the "poetry" section of the competition, so I may consider dropping it and then focussing on the RP, Story-telling and Sparring segments and after that condensing the rounds to a single area of competition for advancement rather than the 2 out of 3 system I had considered.

[B]5) How have your expectations for member interest compared to [i]actual[/i] member interest in your event? How do you feel about that?[/B]

Like White and Sandy I've been genuinely shocked by the complete lack of sign ups I've received as Shy did point out the sign up demands for Kumite are considerable, but given that the event itself is designed to give someone the title of Best in the Arena I think it's reasonable to demand such a level of quality. Honestly I'm a little disappointed that perhaps it is the challenge of the event, which I considered one of it's pros, has turned out to be such a con in people's minds.

[b]6) What do you blame for a lack of interest in these events so far? Please be specific.[/b]

Again I have to agree with Sandy and White, my major blame lies with the lack of activity on the boards, my target audience for the event was the writer's pool in the Arena which seems to have dried into a puddle over the last few months. Of course I definitely understand that IRL things like school and work have to come first, it just seems that lately OtakuBoards has developed an apathy never seen before, even in low traffic times like the September/November term.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Shy][SIZE=1'](On a minor note: It should also be noted that despite Gavin's claim, Kumite is not OtakuBoard's original writing competition. That title goes to the original Otaku idol, started by the always-awesome Charles.)[/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1]My bad, but to be fair the original Otaku Idol was before I was regularly active so I spoke out of ignorance rather than malice. So I guess I'll just change it to "Otaku[B]boards[/B] 2nd Writer's Tournament" as to give Charles his due credit.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Time for Boo's analysis.

White, I think the reason of your success is because the event looks a lot more interesting and event-like than the others. It grabs the attention of the visitor of the thread sooner than the other two contestants their events. The banner makes you want to scroll down and see what it?s about. Perhaps you should give a bit stronger explanation right after the banner, because now the visitor has to scroll even further down to get passed the cards. But... I read the whole thing and thought it looked very amusing.

Sandy, you start with a line of ?this event is rated M, etc. etc.? and then some piece of poetry. After that there?s the banner. I think that by now a lot of people have lost their attention and already thought ?Heck, it?s just a RP.? The ?PM me your profile? seems to be a rather bad idea. Now it looks like no one?s even interested in your event thing. There?s hardly any posts in it. Oh, and the typography is not good for Internet use. I can't remember myself reading the whole thing.

Gavin, your event is just not clear enough. The title of the thread doesn?t say anything to me. Then when I [I]do[/I] choose to enter it, I get welcomed by a banner of which I have no idea what is on it (I finally found out it?s a Super Saiyan. Why it?s on there, I don?t know). The colours are on the pale side and the text in the thread isn?t obvious enough. I think the main problem with your event is it?s presentation. I am really sure that I didn't even read through your whole event.

By the way:[/size]

[quote name='Gavin][size=1']I've tried to refrain from obviously advertising the event as I would prefer it if people join of their own accord rather than feeling as if I've pressured them into it.[/size][/quote]
[size=1]Try thinking of advertisement as suggestive. Events require advertisement. Show the people what you?re offering. Hell, Shy can just let an announcement appear for it. Don?t be afraid of advertising your event. As an event master you?d have to advertise it too.

If I would join any of the events it?d very likely be White?s. Sandy?s event seems too much like a RP. I would never read an RP that I?m not in, personally, even if it is meant as a cooperative story. Like Shy said: Kumite looks the most interesting for outsiders, but then again? only if they like reading things online. I can imagine myself checking on Mafia once or twice to see if the people have been murdered yet.

In my eyes, an event is supposed to [I]look open to everyone in the community[/I], [I]stand out[/I] and [I]look enjoyable for everyone[/I]. The event should at least speak to more than a select group (for example: writers, graphic artists).

Being an event master is very likely a hard job. :) [/size]

[quote name='Boo][size=1]Gavin, your event is just not clear enough. The title of the thread doesn?t say anything to me. Then when I [I]do[/I'] choose to enter it, I get welcomed by a banner of which I have no idea what is on it (I finally found out it?s a Super Saiyan. Why it?s on there, I don?t know). The colours are on the pale side and the text in the thread isn?t obvious enough. I think the main problem with your event is it?s presentation. I am really sure that I didn't even read through your whole event. [/size][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I was wondering Boo if you could clarify that a little for me, as genuinely if you feel that it is the presentation of Kumite itself is one of it's cons I will attempt to rectify it. [strike]In relation to the background, that's easily changed, as I designed eight different backgrounds for the thread itself and eventually settled on the current one, and changing that to a more vibrant one will bring out the text better.[/strike]

[B][Edit][/b] OK I've changed the background to something that's more vibrant and brings out the text better.

I don't understand your complaint about the banner though as really I give a thorough explanation of the event itself in the opening two paragraphs.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]
Sandy, you start with a line of ?this event is rated M, etc. etc.? and then some piece of poetry. After that there?s the banner. I think that by now a lot of people have lost their attention and already thought ?Heck, it?s just a RP.? The ?PM me your profile? seems to be a rather bad idea. Now it looks like no one?s even interested in your event thing. There?s hardly any posts in it. Oh, and the typography is not good for Internet use. I can't remember myself reading the whole thing.[/size][/QUOTE]

Well, it really shows you [I]didn't[/I] read the whole thing.

First of all, the piece of poetry and the banner are there for creating the mysterious aura for the Labyrinth. If somebody can't hold your interest even for that long, then obviously my event isn't for them.

Secondly, it [I]is[/I] an RPG! One imbued with the element of contest, that is. I don't understand how that differs from White's event, though.

For third, people private messaging me their character profile is [I]essential[/I] to this event, because the players aren't supposed to know who has created which characters. Again, read the instructions before passing judgement.

And [I]of course[/I] there aren't many posts in it - the event hasn't even started yet! I'll create the event-thread on Monday, Nexus is an "underground"-type of thread, since we we're allowed to have two threads in our events. I [I]do[/I] have the seven players required already, so obviously [I]somebody[/I]'s interested in my event.

I'm sorry for sounding so defending, but your criticism was without any basis. If you want to give me feedback, at least give me something constructive instead of just trying to tear me into bits and pieces. No cookie for you, Boo! >:/