OtakuBoards

One Piece Manga [Warning: Spoilers]

Tatsubei Yagyu

[quote name='Magus'][size=1][color=green]I like douches (Byakuya and Aizen are like the kings of douchery) but Akainu just comes off as a straight up ##### and he pisses me off.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

I'm thinking this might be on purpose, thanks to the [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BunnyEarsLawyer"]Sly One Oda[/URL] himself, trying to make a character that's such a jerk that there's no way to redeem him and therefore there be absolutely no [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EstrogenBrigade"]estrogen brigade[/URL]... because I'm sure there's an estrogen brigade for each man (and possibly women) in the story with more than five panels of screen time. I mean, Aizen and Byakuya are at least [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard"]Magnificent Bastards[/URL] in their own ways... Akainu has NONE of that.

Shanks better go all [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect"]Worf Effect[/URL] on Akainu's rear... just 'cause gingers are effing magic. *shot*

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Akainu is supposed to be a monster. We're supposed to hate him because he's willing to go against any semblance of ethical behavior to uphold his twisted sense of "Justice". He's like Frollo from[B] Hunchback of Notre Dame[/B], he's so preoccupied with destroying everything he views as evil in the world he's blind to his own corruptness. I mean really, the guy would probably jump into a vat of magma-dissolving acid just to punch a hole in whatever half-dead, retreating pirate just pissed him off.

In a way, it's kind of like what Masashi Kishimoto tried to do with Danzo. The only difference is Danzo actually had a point and ended up being less of an unforgivable monster and more of a competent and logical leader.[/FONT]

Hmm? Nobody likes Akainu?

I like him if only because he seems to be the most competent "marine" I've met so far, considering how much damage he's caused to the pirate world. His reasoning is dangerous, but not flawed -- removing all evil, [I]completely[/I], is the most assured way to provide for a peaceful world, and even if he has to make sacrifices along the way (Coby, innocents, his pride) he's completely willing to do so if it brings the world closer to that point.

Just to point this out, killing Coby after he makes that declaration would ensure that no other marine dared to spout such spiel, as well. It'd serve as a deterrent to marines retreating from the battle or stopping at all, increasing the odds of all of the pirates present on the island to being killed.

Not to mention that destroying a retreating force produces far fewer casualties on your side than trying to take on a force as it comes at you. Marines and pirates will most likely never get along, so demanding the marines to attack the pirates now, as they are retreating, could very well save countless marines killed by the same retreating pirates in the future and any number of innocents that may lose their life to a pirate's plundering. Being exposed to Luffy's happy-go-lucky pirateering has desensitized a good deal of people into thinking that pirates are not a bad thing. Take a look at Captain Kuro, Arlong, or even Blackbeard and tell me that pirates are not a bad thing.

Leaving a few soldiers to die? Killing off a brat who has been known to sympathize with a pirate in the past(Luffy, no less)? In the grand scheme of things, these are very small trifles.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Of course his goal is to remove all "evil", that's what makes him so reprehensible. Like I said in my last post, he can be compared to the character Frollo from [I]The Hunchback of Notre Dame[/I]. His mission is to destroy anything he perceives as evil. He's been casting judgment on pirates in this manner for so long that he's been completely blinded to his own inner corruption. Of course, anyone who declares himself a pirate is instantly breaking the law, but the level of corruption in the World Government makes it very hard to think of most of the pirates as villainous. Akainu, on the other hand, is willing to kill a subordinate simply for speaking out against him. Granted, it would silence any further dissent, but it's a really extreme way of dealing with the problem.

Personally, I actually do kind of like the character, as he's meant to be a giant hypocrite and he's really well-written in that regard. The only real problem I have with him is that he's still going after Luffy, who is completely exhausted, half-dead and probably emotionally shattered over [spoiler]Ace's death[/spoiler]. He should be going after [spoiler]Blackbeard, the more immediate threat and the far more powerful adversary as of the moment.[/spoiler] Granted, letting Luffy escape would inevitably lead to him becoming even stronger in the long run, but Akainu shouldn't know that if he's unaware that he's in a shonen manga.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]He should be going after [spoiler]Blackbeard, the more immediate threat and the far more powerful adversary as of the moment.[/spoiler] Granted, letting Luffy escape would inevitably lead to him becoming even stronger in the long run, but Akainu shouldn't know that if he's unaware that he's in a shonen manga.[/FONT][/quote]

The only problem is that Luffy demonstrated he can use the "[SIZE=2]Haōshoku Haki". To be completely honest, Blackbeard isn't exactly the strongest pirate around. Certainly, he's got two really amazing Devil Fruits coursing through his system, but I haven't seen him do anything aside from that.

Just to frame this, who is more powerful -- Shanks or Blackbeard? Shanks hasn't eaten a Devil Fruit (if I recall correctly), and yet he is able to easily stop Akainu's logia-style attack as if it was nothing. Luffy has demonstrated the same Haki capability (unmastered), has eaten a Devil Fruit, *and* is the son of the notorious Dragon. If Akainu is looking towards the future, Luffy is far more dangerous than Blackbeard is, perhaps even moreso since he saw Ace die in front of his eyes. Up until this point, he hasn't been hit with nearly as severe an emotional crisis -- what would happen if Luffy began to get serious and decided to avenge his brother's death? There's so much that could go wrong if Luffy escapes, so much danger that could be created that removing him is important. Blackbeard, on the contrary, isn't even *trying* to escape, meaning Akainu can deal with him once Luffy is dead. If he chose to kill Blackbeard, instead, Luffy would go free. One path has both of them possibly dead, the other has only one.

I also don't see him as a hypocrite, just an overbearing, rather powerful zealot. A lot of his actions are over the top and may seem contrary to his professed beliefs, but such actions, in the long run, coincide with what he views as an ideal world.

If all that matters is the bottom line, sometimes getting your hands dirty is the quickest and most effective route. Akainu happens to be doing just that in regards to Coby. Is he a monster? Most definitely -- his actions are brutal and his path is unwavering -- and I think there's something to be said that a guy who is fighting for the "ultimate good" is such a vicious character.
[/SIZE]

I think that Rune makes a good point in Shanks. I'd also like to point out that Reigh (Gol D Roger's first mate I think i misspelled his name...) was also able to fight on par with a Logian Admiral. He also has no devil fruit ability that we know of and is just as strong (and most like stronger in his prime) than the Admirals.

I also think that Coby crying out like that it distracted several of the main players in the battle. By doing that i think that it let Luffy escape.

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]So guys, how long has Jay from [I]Clerks[/I] been one of Shanks's pirates?

[CENTER][IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Aceburner85/JayoftheRedHairs.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=green]Never watched that movie (I have no interest in that type of movie) but I do know who you're talking about though (by face anyway). Good catch.

I thought Shanks looked freakishly weird here. Like his head don't fit his body or something. Hard to explain.

I'm left with no opinion about this chapter. People are disappointed that this war is coming to an end within only one chapter. I felt it should've ended when [spoiler]Ace and Whitebeard kicked the bucket[/spoiler] because everything just felt pointless at that point, but I can see where people are coming from. I just have nothing to say about it that's all. Stupid double spreads are still annoying though.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]So guys, how long has Jay from [I]Clerks[/I] been one of Shanks's pirates?[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][center][IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Aceburner85/JayoftheRedHairs.jpg[/IMG][/center][/FONT][/quote]

wow rofl.... I think the better question is Where is silent Bob?

I totally missed that....

edit: I didn't read that chapter til after I saw the post...

Uh... am I the only one who did a total fan spazz at [SPOILER]ALL OF SHANKS'S CREW IN THAT SPREAD?![/SPOILER] It was such a huge YESDOWAAAAAANT that I'm surprised I didn't wake the dead. >>'

Right now, I think Oda's just trying to transition into a decent wrap-up for the arc, so that everything is at least a little bit neater... kinda like how we had to have the Post-Enies Lobby arc. After all that went down in Enies Lobby, the after mini-arc, which didn't really feel like it fit with either the Enies Lobby or Thriller Bark arcs, didn't really seem all that exciting in comparison... unless you count Garp, Koby and Helmeppo showing up and Robin encouraging shippers.

Which, I've been reading the [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/OnePiece"]Wild Mass Guessing page for One Piece[/URL] over on TVTropes and some of those theories are looking quite interesting/amusing. Lord help us all.

[quote name='Nehszriah']Uh... am I the only one who did a total fan spazz at [SPOILER]ALL OF SHANKS'S CREW IN THAT SPREAD?![/SPOILER] It was such a huge YESDOWAAAAAANT that I'm surprised I didn't wake the dead. >>'[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=green]Yes. I have them pegged as the most bad### looking crew by far.[/font][/color]

[SIZE=1]*sighs*

Reading up on One Piece has made me decide to continue reading the manga if only because some of the stuff sounds rather good. (I've also inadvertently spoiled several deaths for myself).[/SIZE]

[quote name='Nehszriah']Uh... am I the only one who did a total fan spazz at [spoiler]ALL OF SHANKS'S CREW IN THAT SPREAD?![/spoiler] It was such a huge YESDOWAAAAAANT that I'm surprised I didn't wake the dead. >>'

Right now, I think Oda's just trying to transition into a decent wrap-up for the arc, so that everything is at least a little bit neater... kinda like how we had to have the Post-Enies Lobby arc. After all that went down in Enies Lobby, the after mini-arc, which didn't really feel like it fit with either the Enies Lobby or Thriller Bark arcs, didn't really seem all that exciting in comparison... unless you count Garp, Koby and Helmeppo showing up and Robin encouraging shippers.

Which, I've been reading the [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/OnePiece"]Wild Mass Guessing page for One Piece[/URL] over on TVTropes and some of those theories are looking quite interesting/amusing. Lord help us all.[/quote]

Yeah but that is what makes Oda so good. He makes the story feel complete. I liked how in both Enies Lobby and Thriller Bark arcs Oda made it feel like that chapter was complete with a couple elements left open to connect future storylines. (like the Ghost girl ending up in the same place as Zoro)

This arc has been amazing. I think the only thing that could have made this war better is if CP9 had been invovled... Oh course they are AWOL and off doing thier own thing....

So the better question is where does Oda take us next? Luffy has to find his crew, Luffy has to recover from his injuries, get back the Thousand Sunny, and then head to Merman Island. So do u guys think Luffy will head blindly after his crewmates or go get the Thousand Sunny first?

wow so several things interest me in the lastest chapter.

1. [spoiler] Boa Hancock is taking Luffy to Nyouna Island (which should be her homeland "Amazon Lily") [/spoiler]

2. [spoiler] Whitebeard's death has sent pirates into a frenzy to launch into the new world with the balance out of wack[/spoiler]

3. [spoiler] The World Goverment doesn't want the lvl 6 breakouts to be leaked[/spoiler]

4. [spoiler] Moria is going to die at the hands of the Kumas and Don Flamingo [/spoiler]

5. [spoiler] Blackbeard now has 4 new crewmates all from lvl 6 in Impel Down. Also there are missing lvl 6 criminals from Impel Down that are MIA[/spoiler]

That is a lot of stuff in one chapter. I'm betting Oda is going to jump around following the differant storylines from that battle while Luffy is recovering.

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=darkred]No matter how many times I place my figure around it, each time I think about [spoiler]the higher-ups/WG not wanting to leak any info about the prisoners the more the more I think they're in cahoots with Blackbeard.[/spoiler] I'm trying to stay away from that train of thought but considering that this is shonen, and I've seen it in Naruto, and people are banking on it happening in Bleach, I just can't shake that idea. (You know, villain being controlled by an even higher source of power)

[spoiler]Brownbeard, other than his wacky beard does not strike at me at all.[/spoiler] I see nothing that strikes out as a threat at all, and he certainly don't have that dominating feel to him.

Boa definately stole this chapter for me. The way she was talking down to Bepo was priceless, but then again I've always liked that about her.[/font][/color]

ok with the lastest chapter WTF?!?!?

Why r we going back to Luffy's childhood??? I understand Luffy is greiving but why r they going back to when he first meets Ace??? Usually when they do flashbacks its to help the readers better understand the character.... I feel we all know Luffy pretty well and I don't see how this is relevent right now....

Maybe I'm just wanting to find the rest of the crew already. (random sidenote wouldn't the Queen of Queers run into Sanji when he gets home???)

Man, I could not stop happy-spazzing while reading that chapter. While I too want to get back to the others soon, I'm also a sucker for backstory and find the ending of the chapter to be pretty fun. [SPOILER]Since we never really knew Luffy's relationship to Dadan, who Dadan was, what flippin' gender she was... anything... I like this. The reason she's cooperating with Garp is hilarious and I think it's interesting to see what kind of dynamics Luffy got to grow up with. Although we know a lot about Luffy in the present sense, we don't know much about his childhood and how he developed a brotherly relationship with Roger's son. In fact, I can see Luffy being a big reason as to why Ace ended up being the way he was, because Luffy seems to bring out the best in people.[/SPOILER]

...and poor Bepo. XD

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=darkred]I guess for me it depends on who the backstory is for, but for the most part I hate them, especially if they're really long. But seeing that it's Ace that we're getting a backstory for I think I'll like it, I just hope it's not incredibly long. One Piece was the cause of me hating/skipping backstories.

I do feel for Luffy, but I swear the first facial expression where you see him about to breakdown really had me about to crack up.[/font][/color]

Yeah i'm whishy washy on backstories... Some are awesome and help show real depth (Like Sanji's backstory with Zef) Others tell you how some people are a product of thier envoirment (Nico Robin's backstory definatly showed this and made a big sob story I didn't want to hear)

I can't tell if I"m going to like or hate Luffy and Ace's backstory. In the chapter 1 they have Luffy's interactions with Shanks and his crew. After that, he just leaves to start his adventure as a pirate. There isn't a whole lot of story about how Luffy grew up or what role Ace played in him growing up.

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=darkred]Wow, talk about an early chapter. I know the spoilers came out Sunday morning, but the chapter itself came out Sunday evening. (WHAT!?) I'm used to Fairy Tail coming out on Sunday's.

Anyway, I called myself trying to read the chapter, but honestly, I really can't read One Piece's backstories because I just don't care for their childhood. I like Ace and all, but I'm definately skeptical about this one here because it definately seems like it's going to be on the long side. I'm hoping it's not though.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Magus'][FONT=franklin gothic medium][COLOR=darkred]Wow, talk about an early chapter. I know the spoilers came out Sunday morning, but the chapter itself came out Sunday evening. (WHAT!?) I'm used to Fairy Tail coming out on Sunday's.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=franklin gothic medium][COLOR=darkred]Anyway, I called myself trying to read the chapter, but honestly, I really can't read One Piece's backstories because I just don't care for their childhood. I like Ace and all, but I'm definately skeptical about this one here because it definately seems like it's going to be on the long side. I'm hoping it's not though.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

agreed.... so far this backstory hasn't told us anything we don't already know. Ace was saving up to be a pirate with his friend (which they did eventually achieve) and Luffy is a terrible liar. What else is new??? I hate to knock backstories this bad but this whole thing isn't going to tell us anything new.

I'd just much rather be finding the crew and getting back to the Thousand Sunny. (I mean how is Luffy seriously going to do that alone??? He's going to need some serious help)

I'm just gonna be over here then, enjoying the backstory. *points to corner* :D This new kid reminds me of the Artful Dodger for some reason and it amuses me.

Yup... I'm a sucker. :D

As much as I love the rest of the crew and kinda want them back together again, I just don't see it happening unless we get about a month's worth of time with either just Luffy or Luffy and a short timeskip for everyone to gather back together at Shakky's, because there's no way Mr. Let The Currents Take Me Where I Want To Go is going to be able to find the crew on his own and although Hancock would most certainly help her beloved, I don't exactly know how they would go about finding everyone.

Besides, this is Oda we're talking about. The man is likely going to want to do an epic two-page spread of all the crew as they return for Luffy and then we're owed no double-page spreads for at least fifty chapters. >>'

So Nehszriah you think that the crew is just going to come together and find each other??? I'll grant that they have the vivi cards but...

Zoro is in no condition to be traveling anywhere (although he's been resting for a few months now) He also look likes he is well inland.

Nami is on a sky island. Unless that magicain guy teaches here some tricks she'll have trouble getting down

Franky has had a liquid change on a frozen wasteland. I have a feel he's defintely going to need them to come get him.

Robin is a slave working on a bridge that leads to nowhere. So she need them to get her.

Sanji is in the best position cause the New Kama queen is coming home so he'll be easy to get back.

Chopper might be able to take to one of those giant birds to give him a ride.

Brooks has a cult at his disposal.

Ussop may have a hard time dealing with the plants on his island but could come back.

Now u see why I'm not interested in the backstory cause it doesn't affect anything that currently going on? Due to some backstory is Luffy going to quit being a pirate?? No (although that might be a interesting twist in his reasoning to go on) Is Luffy's personally going to change? yes (we didn't need a backstory to tell us how close they were)

Uh, dude... seriously. Lighten up, man. Something tells me Oda doesn't do stuff for no reason at all. Whether I like an arc or flashback or not, it still doesn't mean that it won't be important later. We've already been introduced to a few characters that could drive future arcs and fuel gambits and whatnot. We aren't even done with the flashback, so we don't know what it all entails. The "Who the eff was Woop-Slap talking about in 440?" question has already been answered and more answers could be on their way. Maybe not now, but things have been shown to be important hundreds of chapters later. Have a little more faith.

Besides, not only does Oda not have to conform to any sort of sense, because he makes it okay in the end by making it awesome... I can see plenty of ways for the rest of the Straw Hats to band together. Zoro has Perona to get him anywhere he wants after his few [I]days[/I] of rest, Nami refuses to be helpless enough to be stuck on Weatheria because that's just not her nature, Franky's fuel change doesn't mean he's stranded, Robin is capable of leading a revolution and procuring a ship that way, Ivankov or not... Sanji's gettin' off that island, Brooke having that cult makes him probably the most likely to get off his respective island exile and Chopper and Usopp... they'll have their ways. Also, I'm sure there's going to be a lot of paths that cross, so I'm sure if one person lags behind, there shall be more people to haul their sorry rears back.

...and do you really think the fandom will be able to not whine during a possibly three-year long (our time) trip around the world where Luffy and whoever are searching [I]blindly[/I] for his crewmates? He literally has no idea where anyone is. Do you really think he'll be able to find them instinctively without some sort of new Will of D side-effect going on? I don't think so.

Come on... you know a double-page spread of the crew standing dramatically at Shakky's would be made of pure awesome. Don't deny it. o3o

[quote name='Nehszriah']Come on... you know a double-page spread of the crew standing dramatically at Shakky's would be made of pure awesome. Don't deny it. o3o[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=darkred]And the buildup for that is going to be quite something. It may even overthrow [spoiler]Whitebeards entrance to the war[/spoiler]. I can see all the fangasms now, heck, I might even squee a bit.[/font][/color]