OtakuBoards

Are you in any bands or musical-type groups?

Zytka

If so, tell us things about your band. :D What genre you play, how many people, do you have fun/like what you do, hardest/best thing about being in a band, possible samples of your music?

I start this out of pure curiosity, by the way.

So, ...anyone?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Arial]We had a thread for people to post about their bands, but that turned into more of a "what kind of instrument can you play" type of ordeal, so this thread can serve the former purpose instead.

My band consists of two people at the moment because we're having an extremely hard time finding other people who are interested or can help us out. We call ourselves Nectar of the Gods, and the myspace is found [U][URL=http://myspace.com/nogband]here.[/URL][/U]

In this musical arrangement I play guitar. I've written five or so songs and they're all midis, which can be heard [U][URL=http://putfile.com/nogband]here.[/URL][/U] They all differ greatly, which is why it's difficult to place this band in any one genre.[/FONT]

I've got two musical projects going on. Please check them out if you have a second:

The first is [URL=http://www.myspace.com/gallowbraid][B]Gallowbraid[/B][/URL]. This is a full-lineup band. My position is guitar and vocals, and I write the music and lyrics (as for the recording on the MySpace, it's me on everything). It's a mixture of doom and black metal, so it's generally laid-back, long songs that rely more on atmosphere than guitar pyrotechnics.

The other is [URL=http://www.myspace.com/elderfrost][B]Elderfrost[/B][/URL]. That consists of me on all the instruments with my brother helping out on drums. It's basic Viking metal (folksy riffs, epic atmosphere, use of flute/accordion/jaw-harp/etc., lyrics about Norse mythology... you get the idea), and it's gotten a pretty good rep so far.

I was in a deathrash outfit named Scarlet O'Hara for a long time up until about two months ago. We had actually progressed to a point where I very much enjoyed the music myself--from the very basic, formulated metalcore band that we were in the beginning, to a fairly creative sounding combination of Slayer's speed, Pantera's heaviness and virtuosity, the Black Dahlia Murder's mood, and Children of Bodom's keyboard parts.

Then about a month ago I started a balls-*** thrash outfit called Blackheart. The original idea was for it to be a Metallica-based, Slayer-laced, full-force, balls-out metal band with fiierce social commentary and no-holds-barred.

But when my best friend and guitar player, Andrew, began putting in his input, it quickly adopted a Cradle of Filth-like keyboard atmosphere, and a far too Satanic image that took it past the point of just pure, gutsy thrash like I originally intended.

This fact, coupled with the increasing pressures of adult life led to my exiting that project. Though, they do continue with a vocalist whose Barnesy, cookie monster growls are less than satisfactory for a pure thrash band. You can expect music on Myspace from them in the near future.

My newest concept is a Black Sabbath, Danzig, and Metallica inspired proto-metal band under the working name of Dead Stallion. But, as I'm one of the few in Columbus, GA who has any interest in creativity, and I'm also very picky about my band members and their talents, I've yet to find anyone who'd back me up with this venture. I may make it an online project only; similiar to Jake's projects.

I also am working on a melodic death experiment called From a Lacerated Sky with my former lead guitarist from SoH, DJ. This will, in fact, be an online only band. With zero intentions of ever being anythinge else. You can find his myspace with some of his solo work here: [URL=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=40469087]Curator[/URL]

-Justin

Yeah...I can't tell you how awesome it was to have that cat in my band for a grand total of six months. He has so much other **** that he's done. I'm still waiting on my MDM songs, though. They're supposed to be three of them.

-Justin

I really cannot wait to hear this.

Oh, and just so you know, my band (Gallowbraid) might finally be playing it's first show! There'll be labels there scouting talent, too. Too bad it'll be our first ever show, but hey - maybe that'd give us leverage if we actually did well. We've got some killer material, but none of us have ever performed before. :animestun

The first gig is always an awkward one. I remember mine with Scarlet O'Hara, and it was nerve-racking. We were young, though. And we were making what people wanted to hear at the time. Nothing challenging like what we eventually came to be known for. I have those first recording somewhere, maybe if I find them I'll put them up to be laughed at.

I had all but given up hope that DJ would ever get back to me about those three songs. I missed my whole reason for having him do them for me--Through the Eyes of the Dead was searching for a new vocalist, and they found one.

But I just talked to him about ten minutes ago and he told me he just got them back from his studio drummer a week ago. So, I hope I can get into a studio and lay some vox down on them as soon as he mixes and masters the tracks.

-Justin

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR=Magenta][B]I've been through quite a few bands which...I don't feel like going into it...but.
Nightfall- Guitarist, Screamer
HidingBehindChurchDoors-Guitarist,Screamer,
Raise The Stake- Guitar, later on Bass, Screamer
Songsfromjennifer- It was kind of a solo project with my friend Austin, so I did everything, while he played guitar.

And now, I play drums and Sing/Scream for my current band "ThecopskilledKenny" which I formed earlier this year. I don't really like giving genres but I do it anyway. I usually just say Christian Screamo, but we like to change it up alot, because we don't wanna be just another band. We havn't recorded demos yet, we're still kind of practicing up and stuff, trying to write. It consists of me and four other guys, who are pretty cool, and hopefully this band will last a little longer than my past musical groups, lol.[/B][/COLOR]

[size=1]I've never been in a band, even though I've always really wanted to be. I think the big problem there is that I can only play the trumpet and the basics on a trap set. Haha!

Anyway, I really want to start a solo project. This would be me and my fine DJ mixing abilities. I haven't been able to get any programs as of right now, but I'd really like to get into the techno/trance thing, maybe add some industrial undertones. But I just want to make music that makes people want to dance... I don't think there is enough of it in the world. Anything that's good to my standards, anyway.

I think it'd be fun, so I really need to get serious about it soon if I want to make it work.[/size]

[quote name='Fyxe][size=1']I've never been in a band, even though I've always really wanted to be. I think the big problem there is that I can only play the trumpet and the basics on a trap set. Haha![/size][/quote]

[FONT=Arial]You could be in a ska band. :P

But I don't know if you even like that kind of stuff. I'm not too interested in it, myself.

At the moment, [URL=http://myspace.com/nogband]Nectar of the Gods[/URL] is some kind of indie acoustic outfit since there are only two members who can actually do their assigned parts (our bassist has never played a bass in her life and doesn't even own one; she just wants to learn how so I plan on teaching her the basics as soon as I get a bass).

Tomorrow my vocalist is spending the night so I'm hoping to write some songs and record a lot of covers.[/FONT]

[COLOR=Magenta][B]I desperately want to cover these three songs. "Hey There Dehlilah" by the Plain White T's, "Free Bird" by Lynnard Skynnard and "Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones. My guitarists can play bits of Free Bird, so we're already one third of the way there, lol.

Same problem with my bassist too. My friend Alex plays bass, but he isn't very good, because he doesn't own one. So, I'm trying to teach him the ways of the Bass Guitar, and I'm letting him chill with my prized possession, The Peavey Axceleator.[/B][/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]In the last thread, I think I said I was forming a band? Well that ended up failing, as my partner in crime basically got potheaded and wouldn't show up to write songs.

My friend Siarra and I messed around on guitars a few months ago and have been writing songs over the phone since then, haha. We kind of have the post-rock/emo style going on, similar to Funeral Diner. I have a big party coming up in a month and we'd like to get a full band together for that, since I'm already having two bands play in my house. XD

I've been trying to record some stuff on guitar, but I have really awful anxiety about it, and everything has to be perfect before I put it online anywhere.[/font][/size]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]ah, I get like that too. I record vocals over and over as well as drums....over and over...because I feel that it's just not good enough. Good luck with your band, I recently made an awesome deathrift, but since I'm not the guitarist in the band, I can't play it in one of our songs ( I feel like that should be just Andrew, Steven, and Austin's job).

I also feel a little left out..because everybody wants to be a little bit....easier going than me, because I want our music to be really really really bad but they don't want me to scream the whole time.

But we should get it worked out...eventually.[/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=HotPink][B]ah, I get like that too. I record vocals over and over as well as drums....over and over...because I feel that it's just not good enough. Good luck with your band, I recently made an awesome deathrift, but since I'm not the guitarist in the band, I can't play it in one of our songs ( I feel like that should be just Andrew, Steven, and Austin's job).

I also feel a little left out..because everybody wants to be a little bit....easier going than me, because I want our music to be really really really bad but they don't want me to scream the whole time.

But we should get it worked out...eventually.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Wait, wait wait. Two questions:

What is a "deathrift"?

And why in the world would you want your music to be really really really bad? (which, by they way, you could achieve by being Slipknot).

[COLOR=HotPink][B]oh Deathrift is my word...for a riff that would potentially kill somebody because it is so bad ***. And when I say bad, I'll restate a old song "b-b-bad to the bone"....

And yes...Slipknot sucks...except for #1 Joey Jordison...that dood rocks on the drums...and sure...the rest of the band is kewl...or whatever..psh.

Anywho.[/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=HotPink][B]oh Deathrift is my word...for a riff that would potentially kill somebody because it is so bad ***. And when I say bad, I'll restate a old song "b-b-bad to the bone"....

And yes...Slipknot sucks...except for #1 Joey Jordison...that dood rocks on the drums...and sure...the rest of the band is kewl...or whatever..psh.

Anywho.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. The sentence read that you wanted your music to be terrible, so I was quite confused. :animestun

And on Slipknot, I just noticed that based on some other posts, you like them. To each his own, you don't need to change your opinion because I don't like them. But I will say that there i definately better music out there... :cool:

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Nope. Used to like em. But that was before I kind of heard "real" good music. I don't really like (key word) [I]them[/I]. Just Joey. DJs are cool too...but I don't know that much about Synthesizers, so psh. I know one thing though...the guitarists aren't that great.

Hopefully my band's music won't sound too much like their crap. And ah yes, Jake, of course I would change my interest because of your eternal coolness. :cool: [/B] [/COLOR]

Ah, got it. By the sound of it, it seemed you really liked them a lot on the other thread, so to me it looked as if you got wind that the general feeling on the 'Boards was against Slipknot, so you changed your posting opinions to avoid confrontation. That's what I meant.

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Ah yes, okay. Well, right now, I want to change up the music in each song, because of my vocal abilities...I can sing the oldies type voice, like Dio, and I can also scream just like the two guys from the Number 12 Looks Like You, as well as screaming like alot of Metal artists, but of course, my voice doesn't go as low as theirs.

And I kind of want to do songs that take attention away from vocals entirely, becausse I hate it when vocals and lead singers are all that people see in music. How do you guys feel about songs that are instrumental, or songs that are very long, with little vocals and alot of focus on the guitars and bass?[/B][/COLOR]

i supose i kinda have a band, we haven't really done anything yet (finaly formed as of 3:05pm wendnesday) the genre we want to shoot for isn't really a genre but i kind kinda give an equatin that gets us somewhere close, AC DC+ green day- the ceepy drummer+ the drum style of primus= band x ( we are currently nameless). and to add to kazuwa nomura's comment about central lead singers, thats the thing that bugs me the most, but with my band i think our trick is gonna be trying to make every thing complemetary, like ( i hate to talk about them more than once in a post) the whole bon scott/brian johnson vs. angus young thing that AC DC pulls off the whole "you can't think about one without the other" thing, like in the thunderstrck intro, i honestly can't think of the guitar thing without that physco vocal thing or the other way around. okay now i'm done. later

[quote name='Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=HotPink][B]How do you guys feel about songs that are instrumental, or songs that are very long, with little vocals and alot of focus on the guitars and bass?[/B'][/COLOR][/quote]

Welcome to Agalloch, Pelican, Wolves in the Throne Room, Weakling, Isis, Mouth of the Architect... there's plenty of bands that do that, and all the ones I just listed are effin' tops. You should check them out (mainly the first three) and see how each band approaches it. That's the way my band Gallowbraid is - the songs are generally 10 - 12 minutes in length, with very sparse vocals.

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Mhm. I want to do something like that...and...well you'll think this is dorky, but I want to make something like "Free Bird" because even though I hate Lynnard Skynnard, that song may be in my mind, the greatest song because of its length and freshness throughout the whole thing. I hope we can keep it fresh in our long songs, because when it gets repetitive, it gets bad....Bad as in...bad. And bad as in bad is bad. So...yeah.

[/B][/COLOR]

How could anyone hate Lynyrd Skynyrd? *sigh*

Maybe I'm just a good ole Alabame boy, but if metal weren't so intoxicating to me, I'd be in a southern rock band. And we'd play 'Freebird' every night. And 'That Smell'. And 'Gimme Back My Bullets'.

Then we'd leave the stage. Because then the stage would be owned.

-Justin

[quote name='Kam']Maybe I'm just a good ole Alabame boy, but if metal weren't so intoxicating to me, I'd be in a southern rock band. And we'd play 'Freebird' every night. And 'That Smell'. And 'Gimme Back My Bullets'.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]
At my school's Battle of the Bands, [U][URL=http://myspace.com/domesticbeerselections]the kind of metal band[/URL][/U] played Freebird. >:][/FONT]