OtakuBoards

Are you in any bands or musical-type groups?

Zytka

Yes, I am in a musical group (can't really call it a band because no instruments other than a possible keyboard are present). The name? Suminda. Number of members? One. Genre of music? Techno and new age. Types of songs? Tune is the most important element, though they often come with meaningful and complex lyrics. Songs are often on a spiritual or comical topic, and are on average four minutes long. Instruments used? Keyboard and/or electronic music software. Where found? My Space, Soundclick, and Garage Band, by searching for Alpha-Saitori. (I only recently changed the name to Suminda, so...)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Not really into the whole Southern Rock thing, but alas I do have a LS cd...but...Free Bird is way too good...and all the other songs aren't as good...but there's alot of 'em that are better than that one song "Sweet Home Alabama" which is the song that everybody knows them for....which isn't very good, in my opinion. The covers I'd like to do...I'd want to do them in a way they've never been done (oooo). Especially since there have been alot of covers of "Freebird" and "Paint it Black" (Rolling stones). Ah...I just hope all of the music we make is good, and that we don't make any one hit wonders.I feel sorry for Warrant, the guy who made "Cherrypie".And to those people that are putting together musical formulas in their minds, well here's ours.

The Number 12 Looks Like You+Underoath+Flyleaf+As Cities Burn+Scary Kids Scaring Kids+Tokio Hotel+Rise Against+Unearth+Arch Enemy+Opeth+Tenacious D+KISS+AC/DC+Lynnard Skynnerd+Ozzy+Iron Maiden+Haste The Day+The Agony Scene+Arma Angelus+Silverstein+Comeback Kid+Shadows Fall+Beneath The Sky+The Used+Demon Hunter+Dragonforce+Firefly+All That Remains+As I Lay Dying+Norma Jean+Coheed and Cambria+Avenged Sevenfold+Alexisonfire+Something completely original...=Thecopskilledkenny

Did you get all that?[/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=HotPink][B]

[COLOR=Red]The Number 12 Looks Like You[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Underoath[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Flyleaf[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]As Cities Burn[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Scary Kids Scaring Kids[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Tokio Hotel[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Rise Against[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Unearth[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Arch Enemy[/COLOR]+[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Opeth[/COLOR][/SIZE]+[COLOR=Red]Tenacious D[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]KISS[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]AC/DC[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Lynnard Skynnerd[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Ozzy[/COLOR]+[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Iron Maiden[/COLOR][/SIZE]+[COLOR=Red]Haste The Day[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]The Agony Scene[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Arma Angelus[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Silverstein[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Comeback Kid[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Shadows Fall[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Beneath The Sky[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]The Used[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Demon Hunter[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Dragonforce[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Firefly[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]All That Remains[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]As I Lay Dying[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Norma Jean[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Coheed and Cambria[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Avenged Sevenfold[/COLOR]+[COLOR=Red]Alexisonfire[/COLOR]+Something completely original...=Thecopskilledkenny

Did you get all that?[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

The bands in red are the influences you should cut out of your sound, and the bands in blue are the ones you should keep.

[font=arial][size=1]He says it's all those things, but it's probably another Norma Jean clone. :)

And Jake, I don't understand your beef with #12 Looks Like You. I know that scathing hardcore isn't your type of music, but those guys are extremely good compared to everything else in that genre. They have some jazzy bits and a whole lot of "urgency" to their music. Completing this are the Mars Volta lyrics sounding like they've turned to Satan or something, haha. They're just a really cool band.[/font][/size]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]He says it's all those things, but it's probably another Norma Jean clone. :)

And Jake, I don't understand your beef with #12 Looks Like You. I know that scathing hardcore isn't your type of music, but those guys are extremely good compared to everything else in that genre. They have some jazzy bits and a whole lot of "urgency" to their music. Completing this are the Mars Volta lyrics sounding like they've turned to Satan or something, haha. They're just a really cool band.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

The jazz parts feel out of place, the urgency makes the music grate on my nerves, the vocals... don't even get me started. Ugh. Don't get me wrong, they can play their instruments, and they are most definately great at what they do - I just can't stand it at [I]all[/I]. But like you said - scathing hardcore is far from being something I enjoy. It's really just a personal taste thing, I'm not saying they're a bad band.

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Adds Allagoch +Children of Bodom to the formula*

I actually don't want to become a Norma Jean clone...I'm not too fond of their music, but other members of the band like them. Theres alot of bands I left out, but really whats the point? Formulas are kind of overrated, and saying that I'd want to be just like some of these bands wouldn't be right since some of these bands are really original and can't be duplicated.

And really, alot of people don't like # 12. That gives me more reason to love them, and yes, I do get a little obsessive, and yes, I'm totally gonna go wait outside of the store on June 18th to get their new CD lol.

Now, if you guys know me, you'd know I have problems with Genres...and The # 12 say that they're Metal+Progressive+Grindcore. Some of my favorite parts of their songs are the Jazzy and Acoustic bits, as well as the Grindcore bits and Metal riff bits. Now, If I added all that into my formula, along with "some Christian lyrics" with an oldies song cover along with a new song in which I'm singing just like Dio, and then it suddenly switches over to alot of Guitar solos, where does that put me?

Anyway, I booted my bass player. First of all, he stole my girlfriend and second of all, I asked him what kind of music he wanted to play.

..He said "I dunno."

...So I said "Well...I guess...Alots of screams and stuff?"

And then he says "Nah...like some screams here and there."

....And...me just joking around, I said "Kinda like Hawthorne Heights?"

...and to my horror...he said "Yeah. Exactly."

Nothing against HH...but the vocals...The...The...cries*...I mean...the guitarist...and Casey...the screamer dude...they're cool...but...but...the vocals... The way their songs are made up...with the vocals....twitches at the thought of making poppy rock music*... I just don't think that poppy is the way to go. It's just not right.

Some of the greatest bands aren't well known and are the exact opposite of pop. Sure, the poppy bands are well known and famous or whatever, but really... Who wants to be another one of "The All-American Rejects" or..."Hawthorne Heights"...and don't even get me started on the direction MCR is going.

Anyway, I think I've posted enough here.

P.S. I don't think I could ever get high enough to make some lyrics like the # 12's....that stuff is ****** up![/B][/COLOR]

The Number 12 Looks Like You does have progressive and grind in there, but no metal. And it sounds like your genre would be... well, you'd basically be able to put anything and add "core" to it, really. Like "Acousto-grind Christiancore". Yeah, that'd do the trick.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']The Number 12 Looks Like You does have progressive and grind in there, but no metal. And it sounds like your genre would be... well, you'd basically be able to put anything and add "core" to it, really. Like "Acousto-grind Christiancore". Yeah, that'd do the trick.[/quote]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Swweeet. I'd also like to add stuff about dragons,elves, vikings, and magic O.o. So that would make it Fantasy-Acousto-Grind-Christiancore. As well as a metal song about the OB xD... Um. Yeah.

Speaking of bands and stuff. Jake. How many licks will it take to get to the center of the awesomeness that Elderfrost has?[/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=HotPink][B]
Speaking of bands and stuff. Jake. How many licks will it take to get to the center of the awesomeness that Elderfrost has?[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

LOL

Um... lots and LOTS of time. Plus you need to have the great Heathen gods on your side, and being able to rock a jaw-harp is a must.

Really, it doesn't take long to WRITE the songs, it's RECORDING them that's the most laborious part.

[FONT=Arial]I just uploaded my most recently recorded song to my band's myspace. I've recorded it numerous times before, but today's version is the most accurate one to date.

If you want to hear Invierno, click [U][URL=http://myspace.com/nogband]here.[/URL][/U]

I'm really proud of it, and very excited. I bought a bass guitar today, so this band has a good chance of taking off soon. <3[/FONT]

[QUOTE=Zytka]If so, tell us things about your band. :D What genre you play, how many people, do you have fun/like what you do, hardest/best thing about being in a band, possible samples of your music?

I start this out of pure curiosity, by the way.

So, ...anyone?[/QUOTE]
I'm in Pep Band. Does that count?

Music samples: Basically anywhere from Beethoven to Bon Jovi (Excluding Techno. You ever try to play techno with a piccolo?)

Best part: we play some great classics, but we are requested for some cool events, too, which is fun.

Membership: 40-60 (People, not ages.)

Have fun: Heck yes!

[COLOR=HotPink][B]I can play the violin lol and the mandelin...I stopped playing those lol. Anyway, so I'm trying to convince this dude I met just the other day from my school...To play Bass for our band. We had a short talk at a (school) band meeting... Sigh* lol..

I'm also trying to get enough money to get a Jackson RR1 USA Randy Rhoads model guitar.... Either that or a Schecter Synyster Gates model or of course, a Gibson Explorer. I recently dwelled into some prettier sounding music, on the guitar, so now I'm kind of...into both of the pretty stuff and the really good metal-ish stuff. Our recorded stuff is probably gonna suck lol, because of how bad it is...One microphone hooked up to a computer. Nope, that's not very good. xD

Anyway, so my band has taken a huge leap, and we are currently writing songs for terrorism xD[/B][/COLOR]

Me and a few friends are currently starting a band, and I'm the bassist. First we are all gonna learn MCR- Give Em Hell Kid, just to get used to playing together. Im not sure what genre we are gonna be, the guitarist wants to sound like Underoath, whereas the drummer wants to sound like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (ugh). If we start sounding like some pop punk RJA clone, them im gonna leave and start a band with one of my other friends. I like the idea of a metalcore-ish band, though, and drummers are a dime a dozen around here, so we could probably find a new drummer. :animesmil

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Todesengel']Me and a few friends are currently starting a band, and I'm the bassist. First we are all gonna learn MCR- Give Em Hell Kid, just to get used to playing together. Im not sure what genre we are gonna be, the guitarist wants to sound like Underoath, whereas the drummer wants to sound like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (ugh). If we start sounding like some pop punk RJA clone, them im gonna leave and start a band with one of my other friends. I like the idea of a metalcore-ish band, though, and drummers are a dime a dozen around here, so we could probably find a new drummer. :animesmil[/quote]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]...Wow. All that you just said made me cry a little bit. Explain...this band of yours and its sounds a little further. I'm trying to intake this in one at a time. xD

MCR. Underoath. RJA. Metalcore. Ish. O.o

Is there really that many [I]good[/I] drummers around where you live?[/B][/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]That's one of the biggest problems for me--finding band members who actually agree on the sound we'd make. Right now, my vocalist and I only want to cover AFI until we can get enough songs written. I'm not sure how my bassist feels about this, but I know she prefers bands like The Who and Say Anything. And the prospective drummer we're considering is all about metal and wants to play double bass.

I mean, I love double bass at times, but I'm not sure how I feel about it being in a semi-punk band. Strung Out uses double bass, and I love Strung Out, but I'm not so sure I want to sound like them all the time.

Another huge problem is not having any equipment. I have a really crappy unknown brand (Wildfire?) electric guitar that seems to be falling apart. Our vocalist has a nice Fender, and I'm willing to disregard my detest for Fenders until I can afford a Gibson Les Paul Studio (I want one in every color!). However, even though my crappy unknown brand amp (Drive?) is a lot better than her even crappier amp, it is definitely not enough to power a concert. And I don't have any kind of amp for my bass (which our bassist will use once she learns it, hah).

I've set my sights high--Gibson guitars and Marshall half-stacks--but I'm short on money and I definitely can't even afford a cheap little Marshall combo amp. Siigh.[/FONT]

Well I don't know if you all would consider it a group. But I've been part of a choir for quite some time. I rarely sing though as I usually provide the music for the group. Both piano and organ. Over the years we've given quite a few performances. Usually in the winter as we almost always perform part of the Messiah. Ah, I almost forgot, we almost always perform for various holidays as well, like the fourth of July. It's purely for fun of course but I certainly enjoy it.

[QUOTE=Clurr][FONT=Arial]That's one of the biggest problems for me--finding band members who actually agree on the sound we'd make. Right now, my vocalist and I only want to cover AFI until we can get enough songs written. I'm not sure how my bassist feels about this, but I know she prefers bands like The Who and Say Anything. And the prospective drummer we're considering is all about metal and wants to play double bass.

I mean, I love double bass at times, but I'm not sure how I feel about it being in a semi-punk band. Strung Out uses double bass, and I love Strung Out, but I'm not so sure I want to sound like them all the time.

Another huge problem is not having any equipment. I have a really crappy unknown brand (Wildfire?) electric guitar that seems to be falling apart. Our vocalist has a nice Fender, and I'm willing to disregard my detest for Fenders until I can afford a Gibson Les Paul Studio (I want one in every color!). However, even though my crappy unknown brand amp (Drive?) is a lot better than her even crappier amp, it is definitely not enough to power a concert. And I don't have any kind of amp for my bass (which our bassist will use once she learns it, hah).

I've set my sights high--Gibson guitars and Marshall half-stacks--but I'm short on money and I definitely can't even afford a cheap little Marshall combo amp. Siigh.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Pink][B]Aww..that sucks. Now, I'm kind of like that in a way...but we now have members...we just need...more members. Now, I personally think you guys should allow the double bass, because really, there's alot of styles DB can offer. Not always the fast paced crazy stuff that I like doing. And ah...the equipment always brings musicians down. Well all I can say is....hope you get the good stuff, but that shouldn't stop you from making mooosic.Good luck on the bassist situation. We need one, because right now, I'm playing bass until further notice. That was really jumbled up lol[/B][/COLOR]

Jake...I want you to know that the following stems from no comment in this thread, nor any comment in particular...but...you're my Otakuboards metal hero. And one day, I want to collaborate with you on an anthemic-*** metal jam about slaughtering frost giants, burning churches, drinking mead, and abiding in extremely cold weather.

Call it whatever you want, I don't care, I just want to do it.

That's completely relevant to this thread.

-Justin

Guest Copycatalyst
I consider myself many things. I suppose an artist is one. It's hard to really peg down what I am. But I can play acoustic all right, and mainly I enjoy writing lyrics/ performing of these lyrics. Sometimes even [i]a copella[/i]. It's my hope that in the future I will meet many people who are as indebted into music in such a powerful kind of way as I am, and we will work together to create a band to somehow change the shape of music as it stands today. My influences are all over the place, but a lot of my voice belongs to Thom Yorke, and much of what I am is often compared to Tool, though I don't know if that is a completely correct match-up. If I do make a band I think the name I'd love to employ is "Four-Leaf Clover of Pyrex." I think that is a very nice name, and it is catchy to the eyes as well as the ears at the same time. I've also been told I sound like Bob Dylan, and many have told me I suck at singing but it's no detriment to me to keep working at making material, singing, playing guitar, and overall just doing the whole creative thing that is [i]music[/i].

Here's a few examples of what I do. At this point I'm at a very young stage in my development as an artist. I did, however, get a vocal microphone recently. A Shure SM58, and it's a very good mic. Mostly I do many covers lately, at least vocally, just to prepare myself to use what's been crystallized in music which I enjoy so far, and to seek to meld it into my own type of style.

[[url=http://www.chromosomecowboy.com/mitchmusic/lovesforsaleatyourlocaldimeamart2.wav]Love's For Sale At Your Local Dime-a-Mart.[/url]]

Acoustic and singing. . .I think it is probably one of the best showcases of my potentials. What I'm doing on the guitar is very simple. . .but it's somewhat catchy, and the lyrics are of course very good in many ways. When I worked at the takes the song just kind of fell into place all on its own, which was nice.

[[url=http://www.chromosomecowboy.com/mitchmusic/M%20-%20Mortazapine.mp3]Mortazapine[/url]]

An entirely acoustic piece. . .it's very basic. I'm using very simple chords which I've found it easy to use, but I vary the tempo and the style in which I'm using the chords. . .which makes up for the simplicity of what I'm doing. It was made while under the influence of this anti-depressant, Mirtazapine, which I was given. I named the piece "Mortazapine" to assert my dislike of this substance. It's a mostly melancholy piece.

[[url=http://www.chromosomecowboy.com/mitchmusic/M-%20Mr.%20Emo.mp3]Mr. Emo[/url]]

An [i]a copella[/i] piece (of which most of my stuff is these days, since I'm more about vocal as my instrument). It's from a poem I wrote quite a bit ago at this point. . .I have a nice rhythm going with the words. I think it's very solid in many ways and hilarious in others, as well.

[[url=http://www.chromosomecowboy.com/mitchmusic/M%20-%20Rough%20Thunderstorm%20Amidst%20a%20Funeral%20Pyre.mp3]Rough Thunderstorm Amidst a Funeral Pyre[/url]]

This is a completely electronic piece. . .it's pretty basic. It was merely made from me messing around with a program which allows you to make electronica music. I think, however, that it creates a neat atmosphere.

[[url=http://www.chromosomecowboy.com/mitchmusic/M%20-%20The%20Pointing%20Finger%20of%20God%20(Always%20in%20the%20Middle)edit.mp3]The Pointing Finger of God (Always in the Middle)Edit[/url]]

This is from a poem I wrote. . .I read it, and I've edited my vocal recording to give it this kind of edge to it. It's not finished yet, and I feel that at times it's overdone. But I enjoy what it is, and the lyrics of course. . .or what is really most important to me.

That's enough for now.

Up until recently, I was in an A Cappella group made by my friend Josh,
It was called "The Roots of Harmony"

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHb8Kxxtx4k[/url] (not the best, but the only thing I have)

It started off with 15 members, then went too 6, then it ended with 9. (Too big was too bad, as we were trying to emulate a Barbershop quarter)

We did good for the most part, preformed a few times, got paid.

Until last month, the group revolted against the founder Josh (kid in the white sweatshirt with curly hair)
There were two founders,
The one in white - Josh,
and the one too the left of the TV - Jamie (he's in a picture of mine in the "what do you look like thread"

Well, Jamie pretty much said, "**** you" as Josh kept signing us up for gigs without telling us, and when he said that, the group followed.

Currently, the RoH still exist, but Josh recruited new people.

In the meantime, I got together with my best friend Angela and we started a group,

While the RoH was an all guys group, mine is open too girls and infact has 6 members so far about, 5 girls and me, haha.

I also sing Bass, the lowest voice part by the way (When I was in RoH).

I've been playing parties with my friends for about 3 years now and I have migrated around the instruments in our band. Originally I was the drummer, but I picked up the guitar last summer and just loved playing it. We do a lot of private gigs and we get commissioned to cover songs for whoever wants to hear specific songs. Two weekends ago, our band played a charity concert for kids who have child luchemia and we raked in quite a lot of money.

My favorite music style would be anything that is musically challenging to play. No diss to modern rock bands, but for the most part, I don't like to play songs by Hawthorne Heights or Fall Out Boy or people like that. I love the music they make, but I like to have a challenge when I play music. Some of my favorite bands to cover are the Older Green Day songs, Pantera, Metallica, Iron Maiden and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. We have our own songs written down, but we love to play covers too because we can do some of the onstage tomfoolery that some bands did (my favorite stuff to emulate is Poison's spins). We always open with "WILD WILD ROCK" from Sayuki Reload, just because it's a cool start to it. Are you guys ready, you hellions?

I also love to remix songs from Dance Dance Revolution and Beatmania. I have a program on my computer called Sonicfire and the sheer amount of options on that program makes it studio quality in my opinion. I'm okay with a synthesizer and keyboard, but I love to make bass lines and drum lines to songs. I made a remix of the song "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" by Panic!At the Disco and incorporated the guitar riffs from "Last Dinosaur" by the Pillows.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I like talking about my bands because I am an self-centered asshole.

So here we go.

[URL=http://myspace.com/musicforthehardofhearing]The Para-medics[/URL]

A progressive-rock duo. It consists of myself on guitar and my friend on drums and bass. Having being limited to 2 people, we have asked a friend to play drums for us when we play live (which, regretfully hasn't happened yet). We are writing alot of songs, but we have around 6 completed songs, and we are working on about 5 more. Its a great band to be in, seeing as how both my friend and I draw musical influences from the same places. This allows us to really write whatever we like, which happens to be progressive-rock styled music.

[URL=http://myspace.com/secondsbeforesunrise84]Seconds Before Sunrise[/URL]

This is a post-rock fourpiece I am in. I play guitar. We recently recorded a 10 song improvisational CD, and we are going back to the songs and polishing them up and giving them more structure. Its a big departure from the Para-medics, where those songs are tough riffs to play, while trying to retain the sense of melody. With [B]Seconds Before Sunrise[/B], I try to square completely on the melody and emotion of a song, not finger-bending leads and rhythmns.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a while. I am technically in a band called Job Well Done. By technically, I mean I do not currently play an instrument for them but I do everything else (Road/Media Manager, Webmaster, soon to be recording studio, etc.). I play piano which does not really fit into the Pop/Punk genre (At least in the existing songs anyway. I know there are exceptions to this assumption.) though they did say I'll be playing keyboard for some songs in the near future but I have no specific plans for that yet.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]So, we have four members (plus myself) and like I said, we play mainly Pop/Punk though there are hints of various other things mixed in. For more info and some samples, among other things, check out any of the following links.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue][B]Links:[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue][URL="http://www.jobwelldonerocks.com"]Official Site[/URL] (This is one of the things I've done thus far.)[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue][URL="http://www.myspace.com/jobwelldonerocks"]Myspace[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue][URL="http://www.purevolume.com/jobwelldone"]Purevolume[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]