OtakuBoards

Are you in any bands or musical-type groups?

Zytka

[FONT="Arial"]I don't remember if I mentioned my "solo project," so here it is:

[U][url=http://www.myspace.com/clurracoustic]The Cheshire Clurr[/url][/U]

It was basically just a place to put any covers I wanted to do but couldn't get my band's vocalist over to do them, so I did them myself. Now, however, I'm planning on recording an EP to sell in order to help fund NOG.

There's only one song up right now, but I've got two other songs written. I think if I can finish two more, then I'll start working on the EP.
[/FONT]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Well, I finally got around to creating a Myspace profile for my musical project with my friend:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.myspace.com/thesplitphaseexplosion"][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]The Split Phase Explosion[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Yeah...[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="Olive"]Gosh, I wish I could gloat about my super awesome band that kicks your *****... but I don't have one.

The last band I was in has decided to go to covers of bands. Some of the bands they will cover suck beyond bielief *coughMudvaynecough* But I'm glad I'm not in that band anmore, gives me time to practice my bass in peaceful lonliness. Cause, I suck at timing.

But I have an idea for a project that I have named Darkness in Zer0. The name is Darkness in Zer0, not only becasue it's from Kingdom Hearts 2. The other reason behind the name is that I have no one yet, and I haven't told anyone yet. But it's going to be a progressive-rock/metal badn of sorts.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Well, I finally got around to creating a Myspace profile for my musical project with my friend:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.myspace.com/thesplitphaseexplosion"][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]The Split Phase Explosion[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Yeah...[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I added you, because "Hip Hat" is downright swanky.

And my band [COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://www.myspace.com/gallowbraid"][COLOR="Blue"]Gallowbraid[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR] will have a new song up today in the mid-afternoon, so check that out if you like non-mainstream metal. In fact, also check it out if hate non-mainstream metal, because I want you to suffer.

[FONT="Arial"]Since there is only one original song on NOG's myspace (and the recording is pretty bad) I put all the midis on our [U][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.virb.com/nectarofthegods/music/albums/41363"]Virb page.[/URL] [/SIZE][/U]

I really really love Drowning Game, Unseen, and The Witness. Automne is really pretty, too. So if you do go listen to some of the songs, just remember that the instruments are computer generated and will not have the same effect as if they were played by my actual band.

Um, I really don't care about genres, but Kevin said something about us playing post-punk stuff so I suppose that might describe us best. (I don't know for sure because I don't care. =P). I'm heavily heavily influenced by everything AFI has ever done, so our sound is probably somewhat of a conglomeration of every sound they've had over the years (quite a few, as they tend to change with every new album). [/FONT]

Clurr, I was actually a bit more fond of your solo project from what I heard... I like the tone of the guitar you were using (whether or not it was synthesized, it just had a nice timbre), and I prefer the way your voice sounds. So yeah. Just my two cents.

But [B][COLOR="Red"]YES! I FINALLY UPLOADED MY NEW SONG!!![/COLOR][/B] It was actually too long for Msypace, so I had to cut in in half and post it in two separate parts.

It's titled "Oaken Halls of Sorrow", and it clocks in at 13:37. That's right. My song is 1337. I'm so N1NJ4.

But yeah, check it out if you get the chance. People are tending to be quite fond of the acoustic/piano section that starts at about 2:08 through the song. So I guess check that part out if nothing else.

[URL="www.myspace.com/gallowbraid"][B][U][COLOR="Blue"]GALLOWBRAID[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Clurr, I was actually a bit more fond of your solo project from what I heard... I like the tone of the guitar you were using (whether or not it was synthesized, it just had a nice timbre), and I prefer the way your voice sounds. So yeah. Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]Why, thank you! :D

I was using an Esteban acoustic guitar with brand new D'addario nylon strings. They're my favorite brand to use both acoustically and electrically. The tone was changed a little in the recording by the mic; a Samson Q1.

Some days my voice is better than others, and I guess that must have been a good day. I can sing both alto and soprano, but some songs I have trouble picking which octave to sing in and I sometimes have to switch in between. My soprano voice was kind of hurt from having to sing in chorus even though I had a bad cold and at one point laryngitis, so I try to avoid using that one when I can. I couldn't avoid it in 6 to 8, though. :/

I was never planning on doing much with the solo project. Porphyria was originally meant to be a NOG song but I decided to record it myself for a friend. I don't like to sing alone in front of audiences, anyway, so I could never really perform as "The Cheshire Clurr."[/FONT]

Musical-type group. That would fit what I'm in since it's not a band. I play the Cello as many of you already know and though I focus more on my own skills since I'm currently attending university, I am part of a orchestra that performs about eight times a year. In fact we have a Halloween concert performance coming up next week. It's a good sized group since we usually have around 80 members at any given time.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']I added you, because "Hip Hat" is downright swanky.[/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]Thanks. When I showed what you said to my friend, he said, "[B]Swanky? Ha ha![/B]"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote=]But [B][COLOR=red]YES! I FINALLY UPLOADED MY NEW SONG!!![/COLOR][/B] It was actually too long for Msypace, so I had to cut in in half and post it in two separate parts.
[/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]I gave it a listen, and I must admit, it was impressive. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray]Though I'm not too fond of the harsh vocals in the beginning, the guitar work was excellent. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray]Props.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I play the Cello as many of you already know and though I focus more on my own skills...[/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]You should record yourself jammming and send it to me.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray]I can work wonders.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]Thanks. When I showed what you said to my friend, he said, "[B]Swanky? Ha ha![/B]"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]I gave it a listen, and I must admit, it was impressive. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray]Though I'm not too fond of the harsh vocals in the beginning, the guitar work was excellent. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray]Props.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/QUOTE]

Well swanky was the first word that popped into my head when I listened to it.

And I'm glad you found it impressive. Was it just the harsh vocals at the beginning that you didn't, or all the harsh vocals in general? I know they're kind of low in the mix during that first section of riffs before the acoustic/piano interlude, and the recording quality on them actually isn't as high as the rest of the harshes (I recorded them on different days in different environments), so I'm wondering if you picked up on that or if harsh vocals just aren't your cup of tea.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Was it just the harsh vocals at the beginning that you didn't, or all the harsh vocals in general? I know they're kind of low in the mix during that first section of riffs before the acoustic/piano interlude, and the recording quality on them actually isn't as high as the rest of the harshes (I recorded them on different days in different environments), so I'm wondering if you picked up on that or if harsh vocals just aren't your cup of tea.[/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]I don't mind some harsh vocals, it's just that your particular brand of harsh vocals don't appeal to me (no offense). It was just too deep and rumbly and monotone (again, no offense - I liked the rest of the vocals in the song) for my liking.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray]Other than that, it was a great song.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray]Epic... that's the adjective.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkRed"][quote name='Jakehammaren']
But [B][COLOR="Red"]YES! I FINALLY UPLOADED MY NEW SONG!!![/COLOR][/B] It was actually too long for Msypace, so I had to cut in in half and post it in two separate parts.

It's titled "Oaken Halls of Sorrow", and it clocks in at 13:37. That's right. My song is 1337. I'm so N1NJ4.

[URL="www.myspace.com/gallowbraid"][B][U][COLOR="Blue"]GALLOWBRAID[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL][/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed it. The vocals are good in the mix. The only downside is the guitar being a little muddy. You should probably check the EQ curve and boost the mids so it will cut through the mix better. But other than that, it was a great listen.

What recording program do you all use? I am pretty fond of Sony Acid 6.0 and the open software Audacity. Both make quality recordings.

(P.S.: My band, The Para-medics, has a song named "Blow the Balls off a Rhino". Its 15 minutes. SUCK ON THAT :^])

(P.P.S.: Add us on MySpace: myspace.com/musicforthehardofhearing)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 3 months later...
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Well, this thread is kind of old, but its not worth making a new thread over... My band added new songs up on their myspace recently, which you can click on in my sig.. but...

[url]www.myspace.com/thecopskilledkenny[/url]

Just in case. :]

We havn't got many plays yet, considering noone knows wtf we are... I'm pretty sure noone likes us that much either. All I hear is "OMG I LOVE YOUR SONG WHAT DO WE REALLY KNOW ABOUT SCIENCEEE!!!!"... which is just a song... that's there. Just to show our calmed down side, without all the noise, but they don't say much for our actual style, which is something a bit close to noise and acoustic guitars... techno... etc. We try to incorperate jazz too, but we suck... We even try to add weird time signatures, but we suck at those too. We're not even technically screamo, or metalcore. Just popcore. How sucky is that? Anyway listen to us. We own.[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
I've been working on a project for a few years now. It's called Mechanical Undead and we're on myspace. Nothing has come out yet. There's been various idiotic recordings but never anything serious enough that I'd put it on myspace, let alone on a cd.

Anyways, it began with me and couple of my friends from school. We were more in the vein of horrorpunk such as Wednesday 13 and the Murderdolls, but also some industrial. Mostly nu-metal crap though. The sad things is that I probably put the most effort into the band at that time....

Now it's just three of us. Garrett is our guitarist and he can play basically anything if you give him some time and like 2 energy drinks. Sad? I dunno.
Chris is our bassist. He doesn't exactly play in the band, but he practices with us. He's a little scared to mix it up sometimes, which is probably his only problem.
I got a peice of crap drum set that needs new heads, plus a new bass kicker. And coming up with that kind of money is hard as hell sometimes.

I'd say the one thing holding us back now is that no one can come up with any ideas for songs. Garrett has a lot of riffs, but he's just reluctant to make them evolve into songs.

We're influenced by a couple different bands. We like the skacore type stuff like Leftover Crack and Dancehall Satan, but also crustcore/crust-punk like Discharge, Amebix, and Skitsystem. Than lastily we like thrash bands. Particularly the "new wave thrash" bands like Municipal Waste.

Anyways, we're probably got DIY some kind of release here soon and see how that works.

[quote=]Garrett is our guitarist and he can play basically anything if you give him some time and like 2 energy drinks. Sad? I dunno...

I'd say the one thing holding us back now is that no one can come up with any ideas for songs. Garrett has a lot of riffs, but he's just reluctant to make them evolve into songs.[/quote]

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Sad? [U]Yes[/U]. Forget energy drinks. Your friend Garrett is in dire need of some good ol' fashioned [U][I][B]speed[/B][/I][/U]. [B]Amphetamine[/B], if you will. I know I can completely tear up a drum set when I take 30 mg of extended-release [B]Adderall[/B], and I don't even play drums. As for song writing, when I'm speeding, [I]I can't stop[/I] coming up with ideas for songs.

Find yourself a broke friend with ADD. [U]Guaranteed[/U]. Oh, and [B]I do not condone drug use whatsoever, the above text was for entertainment purposes only[/B], blah blah blah, you know the drill.

[B]Drugs are [U]bad[/U], kids![/B]

But yeah, I'm in an [I]Electro-Punk[/I] band called [B][U]The Doominators[/U][/B]. We haven't recorded anything yet, and we only have a few songs written, but everything is looking hopeful. I actually just created our[B] MySpace[/B] page today, but there's nothing on it yet. We actually haven't been a band for very long. Just barely pushing [B]two[/B] months. It's fun stuff, though.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I guess I'm kindof like Fyxe too.
I can sing and play piano pretty well, and I can sortof guitar and drum. Just a little. But I haven't actually joined a non-school band,although I do compose music occasionally.
It would be awesome to play in a proper band... *sigh* I'm so jealous of everyone!

[color=royalblue][size=1]

I'm audtioning from my friends' band this week as lead vocalist/screamer (they are a melodic metalcore-band, ala [b]Parkway Drive/Black Dahlia Murder[/b]). I have high hopes, cuz the other guy auditioning, who is also a friend of far more experience, is already in a band and is particularly pickey about what he plays in, where is I'll take whatever I can get and do whatever is asked of me. Wish me luck. If I don't get it then I'm going to start posting on MySpace and Craigslist as "vocalist searching for/looking to start a band".

I was, once long ago, part of a hip hop side project of local indie-pop band [b]Hello Tomorrow[/b] called [b]Five-Point Palm[/b] (named after the exploding heart technique featured in the film Kill Bill). Yes, I was a rapper. A damn good one too.

We recorded about five songs, but we never performed. However I did perform with their band on a few occasions in one of their songs that I remixed, and as a closer with the drummer, where I'd rap a verse whilst he made a beat.

Good times. God, I hope I get to make music soon again.[/color][/size]

• 5 months later...
Hi guys.

[B][url=http://www.myspace.com/twincompass]Twin Compass[/url][/B].

I killed my old acoustic project, but it turns out I just can't live without something all to myself. Most of my songs are "tiny" and acoustic and I don't really like my voice, and I just can't be bothered to re-record the old ones. One of the songs is bigger and "post metal" or maybe "emo," I don't really know or care ("I Don't Blame You.") I don't think this myspace gets a lot of views, so I'd love it if it did.

[b][url=www.myspace.com/ghostshirtsocietytampa]Ghost Shirt Society[/url][/b].

Same as before. I call our particular brand of music "bizarre." We don't have any serious original songs and have recorded lots of covers (A-ha's "Take On Me, "The Funeral" by Band of Horses). We've practice with a bassist and second guitarist (albeit at separate times) and have plans for fun performances that might not ever happen. I'm hopeful.

GSS also has a facebook, complete with fun videos: [B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ghost-Shirt-Society/184591799551"]click[/URL][/B]

(Twin Compass has a facebook too, and not a single fan: [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Twin-Compass/183419023221"][B]help?[/B][/URL])

[size=1]

I just auditioned for and got into the band [b]Dig The Grave[/b] (name pending) yesterday, haha. Thrash-Death-Metalcore, I won't post the myspace because the horrible recordings don't give the actual songs justice.

I'm the screamer/growler/vocalist.[/size]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I'm im in a little band called Unresolved Conflict with a few of my friends. In all honestly, it won't get to far, but we are serious enough to go somewhere. I'm mostly using it as a vessel to get myself out there and get myself some band experience. We're not doing bad so far, which is god, but we won't be playing shows for long. In fact, it will take us longer than my friend, the guitarist, thinks it will.

But, I'm having a good time so far. I've got a few songs writen myself, so I hope to get to one of those within a few weeks. We're a hardcore/screamo band, so naturally, I dig that. I just need to get a little better at the bass guitar before w actually do a show.

And Zen, your lucky, I really wish I could do the harsh vocals haha[/FONT]

I've been playing guitar for about 5 years, and then some, now. I primarily play electric. I have a Jackson and Fender Strat. Sometimes I practice upwards of 5 hours or even more. I practice every single day.

My lover, Jack, plans to do the vocals. I plan to do some lead vocals too, but mostly backup until I get better at playing and singing at the same time.

We have a name so far: Storm Warden. We have a song we've been working on, but Jack's been busy with other things.

I mostly play my own things. I know basic acoustic chords, basic power chords, and a few riffs from actual songs here and there.

I am working on a cover of "Sweet Dreams." I feel that Manson's cover, while good, lacked a lot. I plan to kick his *** with my version. So far I have a crunchy metal-ish riff and I've turned the single-string slide that's at the end of the main riff into power chords. It sounds really awesome.

I am working on a cover of "Change of Seasons" by Dream Theatre.

I am working on a metal-ish version of "Snake Charmer."

I am working on a tribute/ cover of Tool's "Lateralus." I have this really. . .Bluegrass? variation of the main riff, and a lot of other variances off the main riff.

Aside of that, I have a lot of my own material. I am constantly working through what I have and trying to alter it, tweak it, etc.

I also have begun rehearsing at a local, non-denominational church. I have learned some new acoustic chords and have been playing the acoustic more often since.

It's hard to convey my style in words. I have some really old recordings. Check them out: [url]http://lion-serpent.vox.com/[/url]. Once my boyfriend's computer gets fixed, I'll have some new material and will be eager to share. It's been about a year since I've done any new recordings, so I am much improved.

Making a band is one of my main focuses right now. All I can do right now is practice a lot. Main thing is I need to find people to jam with, because I am have not done that much, and it's a different dynamic that I need to get used to.

Influences include Tool, Vintersorg, Iron Maiden, blues in general, and many others. . .

Om shanti/ om shakti.

[B][URL="www.myspace.com/kuym"]Kingdom Under Siege[/URL]- These guys are my family, the best friends a guy can have, we're all abunch of teenagers, and we love acting like it. We just get out there and have fun. It's heavy, call it what you will. We've played with quite a few great bands, A Plea for Purging, and Agraceful to name a few, but we have a really long way to go.

that's a show from a few months back, we havn't gotten videos of our last twenty shows /: We kind of made the guy that recorded them angry, hah. The end of the video is the main thing I'd like you to focus on, hahah, I show out a little...

[URL="www.myspace.com/iwtrw1955"]I Was the Red Wine of 1955[/URL]- A two-man project with a friend, I've been in this band for more than a year. Before I was nothing more than a vocalist, but lately, we've been writing equal amounts of music. We're very electronic, and sometimes progressive, we just try and make stuff we like.

[URL="www.myspace.com/the870thugz"]870 Thugz[/URL]- I've been in this band for over a year too, we just made rap/techno music for fun, Ercanbrack has been one of my best friends for a while, and I'm glad I get to share the stage with him now in Kingdom Under Siege. We had a lot of fun making crazy rap beats together, haha.

[URL="www.myspace.com/lookoutjamaica"]look out jamaica![/URL]- a couple of friends from school and I got together to make funny techno stuff for fun. It's silly, it's dancey, it's alright. I like it. :D
[/B]