OtakuBoards

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR=#6d527f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I don't know how many of you have been following this but in conduction with the release of the Gurren Lagann movie release, Gainax has been releasing music videos titled Gurren Lagann Parallel Works which are about three minute clips of an alternate storyline set to a song from the soundtrack.

So far only six of the eight have been released, my favorite so far has to be the sixth one (Double Giga Drill Breaker much?). The episodes are put on the movie website located [URL="http://www.gurren-lagann-movie.net/gurrepala/"]here[/URL]. And for the others, for those of you who can't read Japanese, some youtube hunting will turn up some results as well.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=trebuchet ms] The one with baby Gimmy just made me facepalm. I felt like Gainax had just trolled us, but then it made me love them for being Gainax.

I actually didn't enjoy the sixth one, mostly because while the art was pretty it was just the same several pictures over and over with random camera effects. Lol, but I loved how it was just all the TTGL girls being [spoiler]Genome's harem[/spoiler].

My favorite is probably the first one, because you see Viral, Kamina, and Simon together. <3[/font]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR=#6d527f][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I still think that Gainax will never be able to out troll their "Uncensored" remake of episode six. At first I honestly didn't really think they'd bring back Gimmy *** blasting everyone all over the place but yeah, successful troll was very successful.

and now for something not totally unrelated, [URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1572168/The-new-face-of-Britain-Flag-poll-results.html"]what[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

So I saw some of the first episode, at least I think it was the first episode. It's kind of hard to judge it. (seeing how I turned it with, I think 10-12 minutes to spare) Still having mixed feelings about what I saw. The guy with the shades, Kamina (?) is a weird, quirky guy that gave me a few chuckles.

The scantly dressed girl, is perhaps, where my issues lies. While I have nothing against her personally, it's just that the series is screaming fanservice atleast every other episode. If it's your thing, cheers, as for me, I don't mind it, but I don't care for it. (Too much of it is a turn off) I lost count at how many times there was a close up of her T&A, mainly during the parts where they were crawling through the tunnel. (Err... That's a bit ironic)

I suppose the animation was good, but I didn't care much for the design itself. Hard to explain, but the characters are drawn, I don't know, with an old-ish look. I think that's what I'm trying to say. But then again, that's just a minor nitpick, or it's just something I'd have to get used to. (Took a little for me to get into the characters look in Scryed and now Code Geass.)

[quote name='Aberinkula']As for Simon being a kid, it's not that big of a deal.[/quote]
To whom?

[quote name='Phenom']
The scantly dressed girl, is perhaps, where my issues lies. While I have nothing against her personally, it's just that the series is screaming fanservice atleast every other episode. If it's your thing, cheers, as for me, I don't mind it, but I don't care for it. (Too much of it is a turn off) I lost count at how many times there was a close up of her T&A, mainly during the parts where they were crawling through the tunnel. (Err... That's a bit ironic)
[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] TTGL isn't exactly a fanservice-oriented anime, but seeing as how it's a parody of mecha anime and anime in general, there are a lot of fanservice moments that serve to spin-off of and tease archetypes (the scantily clad action girl, the moe girl, the manly man, the possibly gay guy, etc). There's even a beach episode that turns the stereotypical episode on its head.

It's a mixture of serious, tear-jerking moments and contained WTF-ery and ridiculousness (and everything in between).[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] TTGL isn't exactly a fanservice-oriented anime, but seeing as how it's a parody of mecha anime and anime in general, there are a lot of fanservice moments that serve to spin-off of and tease archetypes (the scantily clad action girl, the moe girl, the manly man, the possibly gay guy, etc). There's even a beach episode that turns the stereotypical episode on its head.

It's a mixture of serious, tear-jerking moments and contained WTF-ery and ridiculousness (and everything in between).[/font][/QUOTE]

Or you could just say that it is the best and worst of anime twisted on it's head and given a slap on the arse while a rocket is strapped to its back. Yeah, that essentially describes TTGL's qualities in a nutshell.

[quote name='Matt']Or you could just say that it is the best and worst of anime twisted on it's head and given a slap on the arse while a rocket is strapped to its back. Yeah, that essentially describes TTGL's qualities in a nutshell.[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] That works hella fine as well. :)[/font]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=#35160f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]So, the final Gurren Lagann Parallel Works was released today and it by far made up for 7 (seriously Gainiax, what the hell was that). I really don't want to spoil too much of it, but all you need to know is that it shows the back story of Lord Genome. So go watch it, like now.

I lol'd hard at boota-Guame[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ikillion'][COLOR=#35160f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]So, the final Gurren Lagann Parallel Works was released today and it by far made up for 7 (seriously Gainiax, what the hell was that). I really don't want to spoil too much of it, but all you need to know is that it shows the back story of Lord Genome. So go watch it, like now.

I lol'd hard at boota-Guame[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Yeah, 7 was lame. It's like someone took a camera and got lost in the middle of Arizona with "Libera Me" from Hell playing in the background. Moar mechas, plz.

Anyway, I'm off to watch this since Genome is so frickin' awesome. Later.[/FONT]

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Yeah, 7 was lame. It's like someone took a camera and got lost in the middle of Arizona with "Libera Me" from Hell playing in the background. Moar mechas, plz.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

At first I had the same idea regarding that video... although someone gave me an insight that it's more of showing that the surface world in TTGL can be seen in our real world...

That guy running around the desert might be some guy being hunted down by Gunmen or something...

• 1 month later...
Are you sure? Gurren Lagann is on the SciFi channel on Monday nights, so I hope you get this message in time to catch it tonight!

If you haven't seen it - here are highlights from the series - [url]http://www.manga.com/titles/gurren-lagann?ref=bibi87_theotaku[/url]. It's pretty entertaining.

• 2 months later...
So I decided to give Gurren Lagann a more fairer chance this time around (reruns are on Sci-Fi now), and turned out that the series not as bad as I made it out to be. I had it pegged as one of those series that does nothing but show fanservice here, action, wacky, fanservice, fanservice, fanservice... I may have over exaggerated a bit on the fanservice bit. (I'm still skeptical about it though.)

With that said though, obviously I'm not a fan of the artwork.. Wackiness, as most of you may know, has never been something I like when it comes to art. And that's still going to be a trait that I'd probably never lose. I will admit that it goes well with the wackiness of the characters (Much like One Piece) though, so it evens itself out in some weird way.

Speaking of characters.... Kamina (Hey... It's Gohan XD). There seems to be this hype (bad choice of a word probably.. Bad, Magus, BAD XD) surrounding him and that's fine with me. I'm not really the sensitive type to care about brotherly/fatherly figures (blame Iruka fans lol) in anime. He has his good moments though, however, I find him to be more on the annoying side. He reminds me of Kazuma (Scryed) and Naruto.. somewhat, but mainly Kazuma. The determination and stupidity.

Voices.... All I'm going to say is, what the hell, Steve Blum? I never imagined him to play this type of role. I don't know that character's name though.... More comic relief? (>_>)

There seems to be enough action to keep me interested though. While I don't think it's the best ever (nor awesome), but it's pretty decent.

• 2 weeks later...
You know, I was really into this anime until [spoiler]Kamina died[/spoiler] then I just couldn't get back into it, I grinded through like 3 more episodes and then I just stopped. Can someone give me the faith to watch this again? Does it get better?

[quote name='Tallgeese-']You know, I was really into this anime until [spoiler]Kamina died[/spoiler] then I just couldn't get back into it, I grinded through like 3 more episodes and then I just stopped. Can someone give me the faith to watch this again? Does it get better?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Sure [spoiler]Kamina's death is a downer[/spoiler] no question, and then [spoiler]Simon going all emo[spoiler] for an episode or two isn't great [/spoiler]though word of God is that this was a stick at Evangelion[/spoiler]. Seriously though once you get to episode 11 everything picks up again for the better and you will be hooked the whole way to the end of the series without question. Spoiler time:

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="Most Epic Moment of Gurren Lagann"]q_ls5IP-SCA[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER]

Now tell me you don't want to keep watching.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][quote name='videotube']"This video is not available in your country or domain"..[/quote]

Well, [spoiler]FU, too[/spoiler]. (Make it sound as if it's Miciganist)

"Facepalm" This stuff is so corny that it's funny. (Is that possible?) Kamina is real silly with this manly-ness. So I can literally skip the episode when the boy goes through his depression stage? I understand that it might be a jab and all, but I really hate depression episodes. Seeing people mope around and sulking for an entire episode get on my nerves with a passion. I rather watch random episodes of something girly than watch more depressed series.[/FONT]

I thank Gainax for having created the character Yoko Ritona; but at the same time I'm very disappointed in the way she was treated during the anime series: continuously demeaned and insulted by Kamina, publicly humiliated and ridiculed in episode 12 via an entirely contrived and completely out-of-character scenario, then pushed into the distant background. In my view Yoko deserved much better -- considering her record of having saved others' lives, having given sound advice (which was ignored once too often by Kamina) and having achieved considerable popularity.

Characters interest me much more than themes and plots. I don't look at Yoko as a "fan service" character but rather as a gifted young woman who took up arms against a genocidal occupying military force and fought that enemy with considerable courage and intelligence. Sure, she's got a cute figure; but how is that a bad thing? Her persona -- concern for others, coolness under fire, dedication to prosecuting the war of liberation, savvy circumspection, valorous actions, wise counsel -- is one I find fascinating. Her critics seem to believe the ocean is only knee deep, as they refuse to look past their fixation on superficialities.

But at least Gainax had a change of heart toward the end of the anime series, giving Yoko a few cameo appearances and an honorable profession in education as Yomako-sensei. Gainax will soon release a box set (book, CD, DVD) which represents Yoko's "idol debut," so we're sure to encounter the small but loudmouthed anti-Yoko mob as it renews its sexist attacks; but I'm hoping the great majority of those who appreciate anime and manga will already be tired of that clique's monotonous misogynistic mantra.

:wave:

[B][COLOR="Red"]=^..^=[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='Flyvapnet']Characters interest me much more than themes and plots. I don't look at Yoko as a "fan service" character but rather as a gifted young woman who took up arms against a genocidal occupying military force and fought that enemy with considerable courage and intelligence. Sure, she's got a cute figure; but how is that a bad thing? Her persona -- concern for others, coolness under fire, dedication to prosecuting the war of liberation, savvy circumspection, valorous actions, wise counsel -- is one I find fascinating. Her critics seem to believe the ocean is only knee deep, as they refuse to look past their fixation on superficialities.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Agreed, in terms of characters over themes and plots. (I'm action first and foremost though :)) As far as Yoko and fanservice goes, as I've stated before, while I don't have a problem with it, but too much of it is a turn off. (for me anyway, and I admit that I judged this way too harshly the first time around.) I've only seen the first 4 episodes so I'd have to get back to you about her character in general, but from what I've seen so far, yes, she's decent, once you get pass the scantily dress attire. (And the booty shots of her posing with her gun.) Whether you believe it or not, I do prefer women fully dressed "coughs" You know what I mean. :D

But those sound like solid points, nevertheless.[/FONT]

The manga is okay, but you should watch it. (Your talking about GL right? not Bleach?)

Anyways, the plot is actually well put together, and how everything is worked together, the series just gets so epic as it advances. Even though [spoiler] Kamina died [/spoiler] its just gets better. As for fan service, it just gets over used, but hey, whatcha gonna do?

I suggest if you have not [U][B]Watched[/B][/U] it, go and do that now. Its a Bad*** series, but it is kinda short. Then go buy the box set, and watch it in English =]

Plus [spoiler] fighting in the galaxy, and throwing other galaxies at eachother as weapons, is epic, not to mention the fact how many drills it took, just to get to the center of all of it [/spoiler] 'Nuf said.

[quote name='Haku877']The manga is okay, but you should watch it. (Your talking about GL right? not Bleach?)[/QUOTE]

That's right. Well, I'll make sure to watch it then!:animesmil

[quote name='Haku877]Even though [spoiler] Kamina died [/spoiler'] its just gets better.[/quote]

[SPOILER]NOOO, NOOOT KAMINAAA!!![/SPOILER]:animecry: *screams at top of lungs* YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME! I only got to ch. 4 and he was still my favorite character! *curls up into a little sobbing ball of fail*

[quote name='chibi-master'][SPOILER]NOOO, NOOOT KAMINAAA!!![/SPOILER]:animecry: *screams at top of lungs* YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME! I only got to ch. 4 and he was still my favorite character! *curls up into a little sobbing ball of fail*[/QUOTE]

Oh, Chibi!!!! That why I tagged it! Not to ruin the series!!!*Gentle babytalk voice* Ow 'bout I'ze make uz ah chooky? (Virtual of course.)

• 3 weeks later...
I truly love this show... at one moment you can be sad, and the next moment it brings you back up with unending optimism, and assures you everything will be alright... It has its flaws but whenever I think about it, it puts a smile on my face...

This one was excellent. It takes the expression "over the top", tramples it and throws it out of the window, because it fails to describe what happens.

Makes you wanna shout GIGA... DRILL... BREEEAK!!! at people :animesmil

The music was great, too (Taku Iwasaki rules).

• 11 months later...