OtakuBoards

The Panopticon [M - LSV]

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR=DarkRed][CENTER][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/thepanopticonheader.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[I]"Morals reformed - health preserved - industry invigorated - instruction diffused - public burdens lightened - Economy seated, as it were, upon a rock - the Gordian knot of the poor law not cut, but untied - all by a simple idea in Architecture!"

- Jeremy Bentham, 1787, ?The Panopticon Letters?[/I]

An explosion - a massive catastrophic eruption unparalleled in any vision of human imagination radiated as a wave through a space and time far beyond any known to man. A cacophony so immense that no sound could be heard - only an infinite silence that tore the very soul of the surrounding cosmos from it?s being. The words of one man from a time long forgotten were the spark that set it off, and now the dissonance of infinite space quelled it to a whisper.

Beings of life no longer existed in the universe. All had perished long ago. Their last hope was to find out how they had made this mistake. They needed to find a way to survive even after all were wiped out. The last effort was to place all of their knowledge into one entity. A machine. The Maze.

For countless eons it went on retrieving subjects from all of the universe?s history. Sentient beings of all kinds were pulled in and none would survive. The deaths they suffered were brutal and most went insane before their own death. Whether their intentions were good or evil all fell before the Maze. The final survivor chose to finally destroy the Maze. The last human alive erased sentient life from existence.

The universe is not a linear space, though. The Maze was destroyed, but the universe remembered it. The fragmented memory of the Maze still exists in the far reaches of the galaxy. The knowledge of man - the ideals of a perfect perpetual existence -- the Panopticon.

---

The Panopticon is the third in a series of games that follow a style similar to a randomly-generated dungeon - only one that you control. The Labyrinth, created by Sandy, and The Maze, created by Rachmaninoff, are the originals, and both a good read if you?re looking to check them out. As you can see, this is a direct sequel to The Maze, though you don?t have to be a participant of either of the first games to join this one.

So here?s how the game works. Each contestant, that?s you, creates 3 generic characters (details below) which you will send to me. Your characters are to be kept secret from all other competitors. Your goal is for one or more of your characters to survive the entirety of the game.

The game will last several rounds, and in each round, each of the contestants will receive a Death Card.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/deathcardpanopticon.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

This will allow you to kill one of the other?s players characters of your choice. You can kill them however you please - through traps, murder, monster attacks, implosion, rape, whatever poison (oh! Poison, too) you choose. Each player will be issued one death card per round, though in certain situations you may not be able to use them until certain criteria are met. I will not be able to use death cards, though I will have 3 characters of my own inserted into the game. However, I will be reviving one character at the end of each round.

Because of the life cards, no player is out of the game even if all 3 of their characters are dead. Everyone plays till the very end and even players with no remaining characters will be given Death Cards.

When you use your death card, you will post it next to the character?s picture like this:

[CENTER][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/deathcardpanopticon.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/blackswordanime.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

And I will do the same when I revive characters at the end of the round:

[CENTER][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/lafecardpanopticon.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/blackswordanime.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

There will also be a plethora of other cards with unique effects that will come into play later in the game. Some will be given in secret by PM, while others might be given to everyone all at once in the thread. I assure you that, while I have brought back some of the cards from the previous game, there are some fresh new ones you?ll never see coming.

Anything is possible in the maze. There are no set guidelines other than what?s above - you can put these characters through whatever you want whenever you want. The only thing they cannot find is the exit. Whether they travel with others or go it alone is all up to you, and how much they suffer will be your doing. Just remember that there?s always a bunch of other players with the same amount of power.

---

And now for the sign up. Each of you will use this form to create 3 characters who you will send to me via PM. Remember, it is important that NO ONE expect for you and me knows who your characters are. After you send me the message, post in this thread to confirm that you sent the message and I will tell you if you are admitted.

[B]Picture[/B]: The only requirements are that it is not a real picture, and that it is 100x100 pixels. You are required to have a picture, of if you are unable to have one, or don?t know how to shrink it to 100x100, I can make it for you, just send me the image. I will be putting my own border on all images so that they look the same.
[B]Name[/B]: Whatever you like.
[B]Age[/B]: Any age from a child to an old dude.
[B]Gender[/B]: Some of these anime characters it?s hard to tell. Specify here.
[B]Origin/Race[/B]: They can be from anywhere in the universe and any point in time. The only requirement is that they are humanoid - I will not accept dragons, monsters, angels, demons, or any of that stuff. Elves or even dwarves or undead are perfectly acceptable, but no orcs or trolls or things like that.
[B]Occupation[/B]: Their job.

It is advised that you make your description brief, and if any stand out as especially long compared to others, I will chop them down for you. Any questions about signing up I will happily answer here. Signups will be open for 10 days.[/COLOR]

Yay, this is already up! ;D

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkRed]
Because of the life cards, no player is out of the game even if all 3 of their characters are dead. Everyone plays till the very end and even players with no remaining characters will be given Death Cards.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

If I understand correctly, you're not going to eliminate the players who have lost their characters. Noble as such, but you will end up having problems with that, since eventually there will be an excessive amount of Death Cards in comparison to characters (meaning [I]no one[/I] will survive).

I suck at maths, but I'm pretty sure that's what is going to happen. That's also the reason for the extra characters made by the host of the game - they keep the balance.

But I'm sure you'll work it out. ;D

[QUOTE=Sandy]Yay, this is already up! ;D

If I understand correctly, you're not going to eliminate the players who have lost their characters. Noble as such, but you will end up having problems with that, since eventually there will be an excessive amount of Death Cards in comparison to characters (meaning [I]no one[/I] will survive).

I suck at maths, but I'm pretty sure that's what is going to happen. That's also the reason for the extra characters made by the host of the game - they keep the balance.

But I'm sure you'll work it out. ;D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Don't worry, there's some of my secret cards that'll take care of that :catgirl: Everything should work out fine. The only thing I'm waiting for is enough sign-ups and this thing will take off as-planned in 10 days...[/COLOR]

[FONT=Tahoma]Eh, why not. If you don't mind a labyrinth veteran but a non-maze participant joining, i'll send you some profiles soon. I am curious to see how things go with a different cast of people then those who were in Labyrinth (different for the most part since i'm positive at least 3 of the originals won't be signing up for this, and if most from the Maze sign up then that will be ample :P). [/FONT]

[quote name='BKstyles][FONT=Tahoma']Eh, why not. If you don't mind a labyrinth veteran but a non-maze participant joining, i'll send you some profiles soon. I am curious to see how things go with a different cast of people then those who were in Labyrinth (different for the most part since i'm positive at least 3 of the originals won't be signing up for this, and if most from the Maze sign up then that will be ample :P). [/FONT][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I'd be more than happy to have some Labyrinth participants! I don't know how the Labyrinth worked, having only been in The Maze, but seeing as how my game will be far diffrent from the Maze, it won't matter which you participated in.

Glad to have you in the game![/COLOR]

[quote name='Darren']I'll be signing up as well. I just need to look up some majorly cool pictures for profiles... Hope you don't mind a brief delay. I'm happy that you got this started so quickly.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I was happy to start it quickly, lol. I was really bloody bored. Hopefully it will go better for you this round. Also, don't make your charactres too cool or they'll stand out XD naw, but for reals I use photobucket to find pics. just type in generic terms ('anime black' or something) and you get tons of results.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange']I was happy to start it quickly, lol. I was really bloody bored. Hopefully it will go better for you this round. Also, don't make your charactres too cool or they'll stand out XD naw, but for reals I use photobucket to find pics. just type in generic terms ('anime black' or something) and you get tons of results.[/COLOR][/quote]
This sounds freaking awsome!!!!!

hope you don't mind to much but i will have to be
like darren and find some pics first
i will get it in as soon as i can.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I'm willing to accept both of your submissions, though you two are both rather iffy. (Prem because I've seen the way you RP, and Hell'sminion because you've olny been here about a week). I'm going to accept you both, but if your posting sucks, I'll have your characters brutally murdered right off the bat, then take away your death cards XD.

So far i've confirmed [B]Premonition[/B], [B]Hell's Minion[/B], and [B]Darren's [/B] characters. Any other submissions have 8 days to arrive.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange']I'm going to accept you both, but if your posting sucks, I'll have your characters brutally murdered right off the bat, then take away your death cards XD. [/COLOR][/quote]I'd believe him if I were you guys, since his deaths, especially when DB is annoyed are graphic and bloody. :p Also I see that you're using Deoky as your sample image, I take it that you're fond of that picture then? I still love how Sandy killed him off in the last one. And since my introduction of him into the game last time was taken in the wrong context does that mean you'll exact your revenge on me during this one? [spoiler] I kid. [/spoiler]

Anyway, I don't have time to create the three characters at the moment, or rather I haven't found ones that I like just yet, but I'll send them along later, and this time I'll be able to kill. At least I hope I am since you did say there will be some restrictions.

Either way, should be interesting. I know I'm wondering if it will have all the insane and wacky stuff you guys did in the last one.

[color=green]Wow! This looks great, and interesting. I haven't been on OB for nearly two months, but I should be fine to post since it's the end of the school year. I'll start on my characters tonight and should have it to you by the end of the week.[/color]

[QUOTE=Rachmaninoff]I'd believe him if I were you guys, since his deaths, especially when DB is annoyed are graphic and bloody. :p Also I see that you're using Deoky as your sample image, I take it that you're fond of that picture then? I still love how Sandy killed him off in the last one. And since my introduction of him into the game last time was taken in the wrong context does that mean you'll exact your revenge on me during this one? [spoiler] I kid. [/spoiler]

Anyway, I don't have time to create the three characters at the moment, or rather I haven't found ones that I like just yet, but I'll send them along later, and this time I'll be able to kill. At least I hope I am since you did say there will be some restrictions.

Either way, should be interesting. I know I'm wondering if it will have all the insane and wacky stuff you guys did in the last one.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange] :catgirl: with me at the helm, you can only expect to be completely thrown about, lol. Naw, I'd like to keep some form or order, but at the same time I will have a lot going on at all times. With the sheer number of characters you can bet I'll be able to enact countless twists and throw-offs. In fact, this game is even going to start off quite differently from the last one :animesmil

I'm interested in how many new contenders are saddling up for this one. It'll be interesting to have a new cast and hopefully plenty of former members as well. Also, I'll be accepting every sign up that comes by. Anyone I find unnacceptable I can use in unique ways as cannon fodder. This way everyone gets a chance, and those who fail become my little toys :devil:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Well I was in the first Labyrinth, but since my character made it to the exit I decided to pass on the Maze, though I did follow along, especially since I helped Rachmaninoff with the graphics. ^_~

But I'll jump in for another one even though I don't have any characters ready since it's late for me. I just figured I'd post to let you know of my intent.[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange'] Anyone I find unnacceptable I can use in unique ways as cannon fodder. This way everyone gets a chance, and those who fail become my little toys :devil:[/COLOR][/quote]Hmmm... So what's your idea of unacceptable? Not that I'm worried about myself mind you, but I do kind of wonder with that statement of yours about those who fail becoming your little toys. LOL! :p

Anyway, once I've gotten some rest I'll get those characters to you later. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]i merely mean that the post quality has to be up to par. I'm not looking for a single paragraph where 50% of the words are spelled inorreclty. I also don't want people who are consistently being too far-off with the characters. Now, that would be excessively hard in this game since branching them off and reforming them is a major part or the game, but, like if there's on player who every round send one character off on their own or tortures someody or something, I'm going to ask them to stop. If I see no results... lets just say that, unlike Rahmaninoff, I intend for there to be more than just a laser bean when I lay my finger down, lol.

As for you, [B]Sunfall[/B], i can't imagine having any problems. Most of my concern is with people I haven't seen in action or have seen do poorly ([B]Premonition[/B], all eyes are on you) though Prem has begged me to be a part of this, and I know he read along with the maze so I want to let him in.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange'] lets just say that, unlike Rahmaninoff, I intend for there to be more than just a laser bean when I lay my finger down, lol.[/COLOR][/quote]

Is the laser beam a reference to me and the fact that I was eliminated via an Erase Card? Because I really tried, but some things just work against you no matter how hard you try. :animeangr

Anyway, I'll do much better this time, rest assured.

[QUOTE=Darren]Is the laser beam a reference to me and the fact that I was eliminated via an Erase Card? Because I really tried, but some things just work against you no matter how hard you try. :animeangr

Anyway, I'll do much better this time, rest assured.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Yes, I believe you. I thought you did excellent last time when you posted as well. Your posts were huge and brought in some creative imagery - it was time that killed you. I can't wait to see what you can do with a more convenient schedule.

I dn't want to spoil much, so i will only say that my chapters will probably be longer than the Maze's. I plan for this to last a little longer than the last one.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]i merely mean that the post quality has to be up to par. I'm not looking for a single paragraph where 50% of the words are spelled inorreclty. I also don't want people who are consistently being too far-off with the characters. Now, that would be excessively hard in this game since branching them off and reforming them is a major part or the game, but, like if there's on player who every round send one character off on their own or tortures someody or something, I'm going to ask them to stop. If I see no results... lets just say that, unlike Rahmaninoff, I intend for there to be more than just a laser bean when I lay my finger down, lol.

As for you, [B]Sunfall[/B], i can't imagine having any problems. Most of my concern is with people I haven't seen in action or have seen do poorly ([B]Premonition[/B], all eyes are on you) though Prem has begged me to be a part of this, and I know he read along with the maze so I want to let him in.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

just wondering did you spell incorrectly wrong on purpose or by accident?

I was reading along with the maze to, it was all the fast passed action and plot twists that made me want to join this site in the first place. I will try to come up with really interesting and long posts keeping the spelling mistakes to a minimum. Right now i am going to read the Labrynth if i can find it and start thinking of good ideas for posts.:D

[QUOTE=HellsMinion6676]just wondering did you spell incorrectly wrong on purpose or by accident?

I was reading along with the maze to, it was all the fast passed action and plot twists that made me want to join this site in the first place. I will try to come up with really interesting and long posts keeping the spelling mistakes to a minimum. Right now i am going to read the Labrynth if i can find it and start thinking of good ideas for posts.:D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I have almost never spelled it correctly. It took all of my effort to spell 'spelled' correctly. Those are, ironically, the two words I screw up on the most often O_o.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that, and also, I'd like to confirm BKStyles as a contestant.[/COLOR]

[B]Labyrinth[/B] is located at the first page of the Community Events forum, since it was part of the Otaku Idol 2 competition. It's about as short as The Maze, really, so everybody should be able to skim through it rather quickly. ;D

As for my characters, I'll make them up tomorrow. Now I'm too sleepish to come up with anything good. XP

[COLOR=DarkRed]Jesum DB! Am I everyone's staring doll? Eh, by the way I've posted, I'll prbably kill my own characters with bad spelling.

Oh Shnap!!! I remember DB's PMS. He was hyped up over my characters. We sorta nagged each other I guess?[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=Orange](Sorry DB, I didn't mean pre-menstreul synsdrome, but it's funny to leave that 'S' capital :D )[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I'd believe him if I were you guys, since his deaths, especially when DB is annoyed are graphic and bloody. :p [/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]You don't even know the half of it. When I disobey him, or dishonor him in public. He comes all teh way to NY to find me.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Hell, last time he was here, he tied me by my toes to the ceiling fan. Then he turned it on. Oh the horror. Worst of all, he violated my computer files, called the police, then continued to bruttaly punch me! But then he gave me tea...[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]I have almost never spelled it correctly. It took all of my effort to spell 'spelled' correctly. Those are, ironically, the two words I screw up on the most often O_o.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that, and also, I'd like to confirm BKStyles as a contestant.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Then It must have taken you hours to get this post spelled correctly. Considering spelled is in there twice.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]>_< both of you, keep it to PMs. And Prem, for god's sake, pull your pants up.

I have admitted SunfallE and Sandy into the game as well, so now I'm waiting on Rach and possibly Allamorph I think. I have some sick ideas for how this will explode into action, just a quick q - anyone here have media player issues? Like you can't easily listen to music or watch videos?[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]>_< both of you, keep it to PMs. And Prem, for god's sake, pull your pants up.

I have admitted SunfallE and Sandy into the game as well, so now I'm waiting on Rach and possibly Allamorph I think. I have some sick ideas for how this will explode into action, just a quick q - anyone here have media player issues? Like you can't easily listen to music or watch videos?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I broke my MP3 a couple of months ago.

But how many days are left?

And...

How many chapters do you plan on having?

Oh and DB,[spoiler] icksnay of the backseat-modsbay.[/spoiler][/COLOR]