OtakuBoards

Which game should I purchase?

Jubei Yagyou

I was thinking about what game I should buy next...

Odin Sphere
Rogue Galaxy
.Hack GU 1/2
Dawn of Mana

I'm kind of tentative on Dawn of Mana because of the price right now... Plus I'm still working on Kindom Hearts 2 and FF12 so I don't want to be too committed to it. WHAT DO U THINK!?!?!?

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1]Well you should most definitely finish Kingdom Hearts 2. It was so fun and I loved the plot. I haven't yet played FF12, but I'm sure that has a great plot also. I'd hope that you would finish them!

Dawn of Mana looks really good but it just came out so it's probably high up there on price. I'm not too much into the other ones though. .Hack GU doesn't look too bad. I'd say save your money and finish your 2 games. But if it was me I'd probably end up buying a game... haha.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]the [B].hack [/B] series is dead to me now, so I'm not going to reccommend it. Unless you like the same story being pulled out a 7th time as well as the same lame combat that got old before the end of [B]INFECTION[/B].

[B]Dawn of Mana[/B], from what I know, wasn't all that great, and I know that personally I've never been a fan of the mana series. If you are one, by all means go for it, but I think this game series is one of those that is propelled by nostagia.

[B]Rogue Galaxy [/B] i think has been price reduced already. If not, I can't say anything, since I kow nothing about it.

As for [B]Odin Sphere[/B], that's the one I'd go for, since I personally and thinking of picking it up, too. I've always been a fan of [B]Atlus' [/B] type of game, and this one seems specially interesting. Plus it's Norse mythology and I'm a sucker for that. All it took was the word [B]'Odin' [/B] to get me interested XD[/COLOR]

Odin Sphere is the best choice if you actually want to get it now. Atlus has a bad habit of RELEASING. SO. FEW. COPIES. of their games. So if you miss your chance you'll end up having a hard time getting it later.

Alternatively .hack seems okay if you're into it, and I see Dawn of Mana all the time at game stores, so I'm sure you could get it later.

I do like atlus' games alot, especially the ogre battle games as well as some of their other tactics type games. I have yet to try any Mana games, so this would be the first, but I heard this one is much different as gameplay goes.

You are right though, I should finish my games but sometimes I want to mix things up a bit. It's a bad habit I know. So far it looks like I should get Odin Sphere, due to the fact that Atlus doesn't make enough games.

Well, I've played all of these, so I can help out some.

Odin Sphere - Gorgeous, but almost more of a brawler than an RPG. Some interesting concepts. Ultimately, I think it runs the risk of being really repetitive for a lot of people. It's similar in nature to something like Valkyrie Profile, but arguably even less complex in some ways (although I hated the battle system in the original VP, so I give this one the edge).

I'm not entirely sure this game is what a lot of people are expecting, so be sure to read up on it a bunch first. It's not really like the other games you've listed here.

.hack G/U - I've only played the first one, but I imagine the sequel is mostly the same. I think the concept is enjoyable (I especially like the website components), but ultimately it becomes tedious quickly. The level designs are dull, you're mostly just going to places doing the same quests over and over for different loot. The story itself is vaguely interesting, but it's hurt dramatically be Haseo being a whiny bastard. Maybe some people will relate to him, but I found myself constantly annoyed that he'd say things to people that I personally never would. It was hard to find him very likable.

Dawn of Mana - Different from every previous Mana game, yet again. Every chapter your level resets, which wouldn't be a horribly big deal if you didn't just wind up learning the same movesets over and over and over again. If you find it on the cheap, I'd consider it, but at full price I'd say avoid it. Horrible camera, by the way.

Rogue Galaxy - This is probably my favorite of the four. The battle system is enjoyable, despite flaws. It's gorgeous, loads fast and generally works well. Uses a system similar to FFXII's license board, although only for new moves (you use items to learn things). The story is typical, but some of the characters are fun. I personally enjoy games where there's a sense of wonder and excitement, where you get the impression that the characters actually ENJOY what they're doing despite their trials and tribulations (kind of like Skies of Arcadia).

I'd recommend Odin Sphere or Rogue Galaxy. Depends if you want more of an RPG with action-y elements or more of a Final Fight game with RPG elements.

• 2 weeks later...
[font=comic sans ms]Rogue Galaxy. I haven't played that much of it because, like you, I'm also in the middle of playing Kingdom Hearts 2. (yet again) Took a break from Star Ocean.

In any case, from my little 10 minute experience with the game, it sort of feels like a Kingdom Hearts game with the hack n slash gameplay. (It's my type of game so I'm not really disappointed)

I've also been looking into the .hack series, but I keep getting mixed views about it. I keep hearing that it's an action rpg type of game, but it play's like a MMO, and I'm not into MMO's. Perhaps someone can sum up what the gameplay is like because I've been a little too curious about this series.[/font]

[QUOTE=Phenom]

I've also been looking into the .hack series, but I keep getting mixed views about it. I keep hearing that it's an action rpg type of game, but it play's like a MMO, and I'm not into MMO's. Perhaps someone can sum up what the gameplay is like because I've been a little too curious about this series.[/font][/QUOTE]

No it does not play at all like an MMO. The game just simulates one. In other words you are playing a game in which your character is playing a game.You get peoples email addresses , form parties , read forums stuff like that. If you want to invest in it skip the original and play the GU games they are much more action based. They arent great series to begin with though. Extrmely repetive gameplay.