OtakuBoards

Devil May Cry

Dagger

Hm... this isn't actually starting until June 14, but I just saw the first episode, so they must've run it as a sneak peek or something.

I haven't gotten around to playing the Devil May Cry games yet. So let me draw a comparison. I was disappointed with the Hellsing OVA--never got past the first episode. Not my kind of thing.

This anime, on the other hand? [i]This[/i] is my kind of thing. I dig the banter. I dig the style. I love the delicious, absurd animation that's so nice there's no way they'll be able to keep it up. (I'll enjoy it while it lasts, I suppose.) Other people have come away from it with lukewarm impressions, but personally I thought it was a lot of fun. Especially that crazy scene in the opera house. And somehow I doubt that the games became known for the richness of their storyline...

Eye candy should be palatable, and the beginning of DMC, at least, is just that. No OP or ED yet.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkRed]I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Ususally when I see stuff based on games it's really lame and not as exciting as the game. (Example: Kingdom Hearts)

I own the first and the third games and beat the first one. I really love the series. From what you said already, I must check this out. Thanks.

By the way: I heard the games were good. That is all I heard. So I played it and really enjoyed everything about it, including the story. The story of the third game is the best though. Brother against brother, mmmmm.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]I knew something like this would come around, because of the Devil May Cry mangas. I figured that an anime wouldn't be too far away. DMC is just the game that deserves an anime. In the game, Dante gives alot of style and awesomness, with quite a good story. Not on the level of FF, but it's very understandable. The Anime will help out the story, and give it more meaning. You should play the games, Dagger, they're quite good.

Here is a [url=http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=rJ3iSUDS0c4&eurl=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fsourceid%3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26rls%3DRNWE%2CRNWE%3A2005-18%2CRNWE%3Aen%26q%3DDevil%2BMay%2&iurl=http%3A//img.youtube.com/vi/rJ3iSUDS0c4/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskJP4rJHRbMYXgpFrtq4Lzba]trailer[/url] if anybody wants to watch a few tidbits of it.

Anywho, I wish the DMC series would be longer, but alas, it shall only run for 12 episodes. But my gawsh. 12 episodes is enough, and satisfying. Madhouse did a wonderful job on this Anime, and I really love the artwork and animation.It's good enough, so that you won't be craving more, but of course, you will be.

It'll take a while for me to get it, because alas, I can't ever get any good subs :( and I don't live in Japan. Darn. It airs on June 14 on WOWOW, Second episode will date on June 21, third on the 28th. This anime will be over before it begins :(

Well, I can't wait to see more of Debiru Mei Kurai (Devil may cry) and I ish very very very excited about it :animesmil [/B] [/COLOR]

Question: Was the character called Patty in any of the games?

[spoiler]Loli-Patty verged on obnoxious in a couple of places, so I hope she vanishes from the picture, unlikely though that seems at this point... adult Patty was rather cool, on the other hand. Sounded as if Yukana was playing her.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Hmmm.. No, I think Patty is an original character just for the anime. I don't know, it's been a while since I've played DMC 1 or 2, but I know she's not in Number 3.

[SPOILER]I think Fukuen Misato was playing Patty, but I can't be too sure. She played Aya in Boys Be too[/SPOILER][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I only beat the first game and started to play the third. I know for a fact that Patty is not in the first game. If Nomura says that it is not in the third, I'll believe it. As for the second game, I am not sure. I was told that the second game sucked so I refrained from wasting my money on it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Yes, I can't be sure about the second one...I don't remember anything from that game, seeing as how, I didn't really play it that much.

I'm pretty excited about who's playing Dante. Morikawa Toshiyuki! He played as Sephiroth on Advent Children, Last Order, Kingdom Hearts II and etc. As well as Naraku (InuYasha), Conrad (Kyo Kaoh Maru!), Ryu (Street Fighter) and my personal favorite, Takayanagi from Tenjho Tenge. Toshiyuki has played alots of voices though and I really can't name all fifty of them O.o[/B][/COLOR]

Yeah, I like his performance so far. His strawberry sundae lines cracked me up because they were so incongruous, with that cool-sounding voice. The rapid repartee between him and Mori(sson) was the best non-action part of the episode.

~Dagger~

[font=comic sans ms]So I take it that there is no word about an U.S release?

I don't think I can really say much that hasn't been stated by Kazuwa. I've also played 1 and 3, and despite what others have told me, I'm thinking about checking out 2 as well.

As far as "Patty" goes. I can only assume that she's a made up character. Judging from this walkthrough, the only characters (main characters) in DMC2 are Dante (of course), [spoiler]Lucia, Matier, and Arius.[/spoiler] And it's already been said that there is no Patty in DMC 1 and 3.

I'm curious to see the animation in this as well.[/font]

There are actually a few extra characters in DMC anime that were added for the show. Haven't seen the ep but just from the trailer I could tell. But then again the game DMC only had 4 speaking characters (if you include the giant spider) and that would make for a somewhat boring anime.

Christ they added a stupid kid into the anime in an attempt to give Dante a soft side. Patty hasnt appeared in any of the DMC titles. But they will need to throw in more people in because the DMC games contain a very small cast of characters. As a huge DMC fan Im really looking foward to watching this. Ive only seen the trailer so far. This will probably be the best video game to anime adaption ever.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Devil May Cry is [B]A MUST[/B] game to get for the PS2. I personally loved the third person hack'n slash style. It was fun beating the crap out of the monsters.

Not sure about the manga or anime though, I haven't checked those out yet. I expect them to be just as well as the game! Is Virgil in the story as well?[/COLOR]

[quote name='Japan_86][COLOR=DarkRed']It doesn't seem like Virgil is in it at all. But there is the annoying Patty. We will just have to see. By the way, just saw the trailer. So sweet indeed.! I cannot wait.[/COLOR][/quote]

You'll probably have to wait and see regarding that. If I remember correctly Virgil was actually the Dark Knight boss in the first game.

[quote name='Meggido']You'll probably have to wait and see regarding that. If I remember correctly Virgil was actually the Dark Knight boss in the first game.[/quote]

Who was also Mundus servant and was killed by Dante in DMC 1.

He is not going to be in the anime if it takes place after DMC1.

The manga was a year before DMC3 begins so thats why Vergil was in there.

• 1 month later...
I'm really interested where the anime fits in with the game series after ep 4. I mean i'd heard rumors that it came between DMC3 and DMC1 but that can't be true now. Ep 4 [spoiler]had the introduction of Trish who knows Dante on a more personal level then if it was before DMC1.[/spoiler] So now I'm of the mind that maybe it comes between DMC1 and DMC2.

[quote name='Meggido']I'm really interested where the anime fits in with the game series after ep 4. I mean i'd heard rumors that it came between DMC3 and DMC1 but that can't be true now. Ep 4 [spoiler]had the introduction of Trish who knows Dante on a more personal level then if it was before DMC1.[/spoiler] So now I'm of the mind that maybe it comes between DMC1 and DMC2.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Heres the timeline

DMC3 manga > DMC3 > DMC1 >DMC anime

The anime has to be [I]after[/I] DMC1.

It's hard to indicate if the anime takes place before or after DMC2. But DMC2 plot was such crap and barely tied into the DMC universe.I don't think it matters.[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Well, I just finished watching episode 11, and I have to say that I just about had a heart attack, lol. Mainly because I didn't have a freakin' clue as to the fact that this was the next to last episode. And for those of you who have watched this episode already, you know that [spoiler]it appear's as though Dante has died(or will die).[/spoiler] So, yeah, that came as a bit of a shock. But what really burst my bubble was the fact that the next episode [B]is[/B] going to be the last. So, just to be sure, I checked it out on wiki. And what do you know, it's true. And now I am really sad that the series is coming to an end...:([/SIZE][/FONT]

The first time I seen DMC anime was on YouTube this summer.

And I was really disappointed, man. :cussing:

That's the worst anime I've seen in my life. I began to like Devil May Cry is when I played its third game and it's my fav game of all time. The storyline was well-written and the humour never dies in that game--- Dante must do something hilarious, no matter how impressive he was being himself (lol,the part that make me phwoar is dante surfing on a missile rocket:animenose weird at its best). Ok, back to its anime version, I simply hate it. There's no life in the story itself, it's all just goth and darkness looks, the story's predictable and dante was being so damn serious--- unlike in the DMC games. Then enter a little girl we know nothing of. Then a bunch of tycoon demons being gluttony and cool to seize inheritance of the deceased. Whatever that's in the first series, it's not attracting my attention easily. The fighting scenes--- ok, the best one is the 'shadow screen fighting' in the opera house. That I think it's the only thing that attracted my attention with amusement.

Then its manga came out. Worse, its DMC3 manga. HELL--- the story is not the same!!! The mood is not there at all!! It's just dreadful and boring to read.

[quote name='Chiyasha']
Then its manga came out. Worse, its DMC3 manga. HELL--- the story is not the same!!! The mood is not there at all!! It's just dreadful and boring to read.[/QUOTE]

Ummm...the anime is actually a completely separate story from any of the games and any of the manga. As has been discussed before it actually comes between the 1st and second games. Also I highly recommend not holding it to the first episode since it does slowly improve.

The DMC3 manga as I've heard either comes after the game or before the game. I'm not positive which I heard but that's the main reason it's not the same story.

[quote name='Meggido']Ummm...the anime is actually a completely separate story from any of the games and any of the manga. As has been discussed before it actually comes between the 1st and second games. Also I highly recommend not holding it to the first episode since it does slowly improve.

The DMC3 manga as I've heard either comes after the game or before the game. I'm not positive which I heard but that's the main reason it's not the same story.[/QUOTE]

I know the anime version has a different story... which is definitely alienate my knowledge on Devil May Cry. But still, I dislike the anime... it's not necessary at all! Forgive me for being rash and critical, I am still trying to watch more episodes of this anime on YouTube just to understand the story even more comprehensive... but I don't know, it's the expectation thought in my head always put me off:animecry:

The manga is not the best. I think the time setting is as same as the one in the video game version! :confused: Only there are change in characters--- Dante has a sort of sidekick named Enzio, and why would Dante want a person to assist him in searching the mystery left behind by Arkham? I thought he's a wanderer who is naturally knows everything before everyone does. I don't know, there goes my weakness again: giving rash views on the first volume of DMC3 anime. The major story, I believe, it's the same, but maybe between the gaps the storyline's edited for the sake of this manga, which we all can do just read and see, not batting our thumbs and fingers on the book. Still, in my current opinion, I find anime and manga version of DMC are not necessary--- I guess it's very opportunistic for DMC afficiandos, but to anime and manga lovers, it's a gamble, really.

Yeah I actually think the series is good in terms of fan service for those who enjoyed the games. My only disappointment with the series is that we don't get Virgil and we don't get Devil form Dante. I was so sure that in the final ep [spoiler]with the big boss battle type thing happening that Dante would have to pull out his devil form to win however it wasn't quite that good[/spoiler]. However I'd recommend it as long as you go into it not expecting much in the way of character development outside the games, and a lot of fan service. The overall storyline which is not revealed until the last two eps (yes there is a very thin string of continuity running through the whole thing) has some really good moments, and the fight sequences are fairly top notch. All I'd really ask for is a anime of either the first or third games though :S

[color=#4B0082]Rocket surfing, you say?

[center][img]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4452/dmcmissilege5.jpg[/img][/center]
It's got that. :cool:

I finished watching the series today and, as someone who hasn't played the games, I liked it quite a bit. Dante exudes style and badassness nicely. And the animation is gorgeous. (I don't know about others, but I got 1280x720 h.246 encoded episodes and they were totally awesome. I can't imagine watching the series in lesser quality now, especially not crappy streaming quality on YouTube.) The only thing that annoyed me was that they didn't show enough of the actual fighting; too many times, it would cut away during fight scenes.[/color]