OtakuBoards

DS games for long flight?

SaiyanPrincessX

[SIZE=1]I'll be going to Japan in less than two weeks and I would like to get another game for my 15 hour flight. [b]XD[/b]

I own Diddy Kong, Yoshi's Island, and Animal Crossing.

I guess a little insight of the types of games I like would help. RPGs, some racing(M'Kart kind, or Rush), Platform. Mario type games, Sonic, The Sims, some first person shooters(Duke Nukem).

My brother suggested Harvest Moon, though he's never actually played it only heard of it from others. Lol. I've considered [b]Contact[/b] but I'm not sure, I've only read about it online. My friend wants me to get Poke'mon Pearl, but I don't really play Poke'mon games anyway so that would be a waste.

Any help would be appriciated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]=O Envy~ I wanna go to Japan ; - ;

Uhm, to answer your question...

The two Phoenix Wright games; Ace Attourney and Justice for All, are good and can keep you occupied for hours. Ace Attourney has 5 cases, while Justice for All has 4, but each case is pretty long and can take a long time to do.

Hotel Dusk Room 215 isn't bad either. I enjoy it, but I can't exactly see much replay value in it. This one will also take a long time to get through I imagine as it's done in Chapters, and each chapter is also quite lengthy. It's kinda like a book.

I know you didn't say it, but if you're interested in Rhythm type games check out Elite Beat Agents, or Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2. I personally love all three of these games because they're just fun and good to pass time with. If you can't tell the last two are Japanese, but you don't really need to know how to read Japanese in the game, and Elite Beat Agents is the English equivalent to Ouendan 1 which came out first of the three.

I haven't played it much but Final Fantasy III could be an option. It reminds me a lot of the traditional Final Fantasy game and you gain your party of characters early so you can train them up. It's in the older style where your characters have job classes.

These are just ones that I thought of from the top of my head as ones that I have. So I dunno. Have fun in Japan![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Final Fantasy III is good, but it's also fairly oldschool. I'm not sure what that might mean to you, but I know a lot of my friends just were not into it at all. If you're into the older FFs with dungeons and slower battles and what-not, it's fun.

Game's I'd suggest:

Pheonix Wright - Seconding this. There's two of them, either will do. The older is better translated, however.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife - You act as a doctor doing surgeries. Cut people open, remove this or that. It's actually very fun and the story is not completely realistic, which I actually appreciated. It gets rather hard later on, but I never really wanted to stop playing it.

Tetris DS - I play this more than anything, personally. It's a great version of Tetris, the new modes are excellent (particularly Push) and it's just very fun. I probably play this on every train ride I take it seems.

Pokemon DS - Good games, lots of new additions. This is probably the best of the time wasters just because there's so much crap to do in it. The walking around and getting sucked into battles aspect can get tiresome, but I'd still recommend it. I barely played Pokemon either, but I like this one at lot. Played it more than the others.

Etrian Odyssey - If you're into REALLY old school, dungeon hack RPGs I'd highly suggest this. You wander around dungeons that you have to actually map out yourself on the touch screen. It recalls old pen and paper RPGs that required graph paper for maps.

Contact is OK. It gets frustrating because somewhat early on the bosses are just way stronger than you... requires more level grinding than would be expected. It can also be extremely vague at times and you might not know what to do. It's a fun game, but at the same time it's hard to recommend blindly. Plus, you can get it for like $8 on eBay lol.

[COLOR=Blue]I join Sakura in envy. xD Going to Japan is one of my life goals, throw learning Japanese in there too...

Okay, a few suggestions here...

[I][B]Nintendogs[/B][/I] could be a very enjoyable game. It's fun and rather lengthy for gameplay. You can dress up your dogs in clothing, choose their breed, take them for walks, win contests, even give them baths. Only drawback is that you have to talk into the Mic which could get you many strange looks on the plane. ^^; Other than that, it's fun to play.

The only other I can think of is [I][B]Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo Tales[/B][/I], which has just recently been released. It looks kiddy and might be aimed at younger audiences but when I played this for the first five minutes, I instantly fell in love. It's so cute it should be banned. Playing as a Chocobo is an added bonus plus there is so many mini-games I've lost count. I think there's about over 40. Plus the storyline, I think that will keep you occupied. ;D

Enjoy yourself in Japan, and don't forget the Pocky![/COLOR]

[quote name='Switchback][COLOR=Blue][I][B]Nintendogs[/B][/I'] could be a very enjoyable game. It's fun and rather lengthy for gameplay. You can dress up your dogs in clothing, choose their breed, take them for walks, win contests, even give them baths. Only drawback is that you have to talk into the Mic which could get you many strange looks on the plane. ^^; Other than that, it's fun to play.[/COLOR][/quote]

[color=darkred]I dunno about Nintendogs. It was the first game that I got with my DS back in 2005 (so my opinion may be dated because I'm not sure what the newer versions have to offer), and the impression I got was that it was meant to be played in short bursts; spend five or ten minutes feeding it, playing with it, walking it and etc, and then do the same when checking up on it an hour or so later. It wouldn't qualify as a good way of killing time for me, so I'd recommend something along the long the lines of FFIII or Mario Kart DS.[/color]

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=DimGray]Well, I would strongly suggest you pick up [b][i]Final Fantasy III[/b][/i]. Seriously, I think any gamer could pick up that game and play for hours. It's just got so much action and it really sucks you in. As does [b][i]Pokemon: Pearl or Diamond[/b][/i]. Though only get one of them because they're both the same genre and if you get one you probably won't be in the mood more the other.

If you get tired of RPGs. There's always the rhythm-oriented (if you have headphones) [b][i]Elite Beat Agents[/i][/b]. Honestly, between those three games I could play more a lot more than 15 hours straight.

[RIGHT][B]._.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/RIGHT]

[quote name='White][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=DimGray]Well, I would strongly suggest you pick up [b][i]Final Fantasy III[/b][/i]. Seriously, I think any gamer could pick up that game and play for hours. It's just got so much action and it really sucks you in. As does [b][i]Pokemon: Pearl or Diamond[/b][/i]. Though only get one of them because they're both the same genre and if you get one you probably won't be in the mood more the other.[/COLOR][/FONT'][/RIGHT][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]This one, though, partially depends on the type of gamer you are. FF3 can be increadibly frustrating at times. It's the type of game where you get all the way to the boss and if you die you have to repeat the dungeon, and you just turn it off in frustration and don't wanna play for a while - that's no good for a long flight. Pokemon never kills you - it's nice and laid-back, fun, and easy.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I suggest that doctor game. I do not know what is called. There is another game I like to play, which is a game like Super Smash Brothers, but with anime characters from Black Cat, Bleach, Naruto and many more. There is also this tetris game that I like. Heh, I obviously do not own a DS. My friends let me play theirs and this is what they own.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]You should play Castlevania! The DS has 2 great Castlevania games on it and both are really fun! They have lots of weapons for you to use and spells and stuff, and in the second one it has the whole teamwork thing which is pretty cool. Plus you get to fight all kinds of horrific creatures and undead monstrosities. Both of them are cheaper than your average DS game right now I think, I know the first game is like a players choice or whatever...[/COLOR]

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred']I dunno about Nintendogs. It was the first game that I got with my DS back in 2005 (so my opinion may be dated because I'm not sure what the newer versions have to offer), and the impression I got was that it was meant to be played in short bursts; spend five or ten minutes feeding it, playing with it, walking it and etc, and then do the same when checking up on it an hour or so later. It wouldn't qualify as a good way of killing time for me, so I'd recommend something along the long the lines of FFIII or Mario Kart DS.[/color][/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]
Hmmm... You do make a point. Plus I don't have any of the newer versions, just like you. When I first got it, it kept me occupied for at least two and a half hours which is why I bothered to suggest it. I think it's best to scratch that now though.

With all the people recommending [I][B]Final Fantasy III[/B][/I] I would suggest [I][B]Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls[/B][/I], however it's for the Gameboy Advance. Not the DS, the reason I am mentioning it is because it has [I][B]Final Fantasy I[/B][/I] and [I][B]II[/B][/I] built into one cartride. So it's two games in one, plus it's cheap to buy now I think. Only drawback is the same with[I][B] Final Fantasy III[/B][/I], it could get highly frustrating if you don't know where to go or if you get stuck.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Getting stuck and frustrated in the middle of RPGs is what makes them particularly special.

I totally forgot about Trauma Center. When I first got it I was soooo addicted, but there are some annoying cases that can get really frustrating if you continually can't get past them (experience).

I know several of the posts are supporting Pokemon Diamond/Pearl but I'd only recommend it if you like the games. From your first post you sound a little iffy about them. Maybe if a friend has it you can ask them to play it for a little while and see how you like it.

I haven't played Chocobo Tales yet but I've researched it and it sounds cute. What's better than doing missions as a Chocobo?

Oh yeah, forgot to make the point if you do get Elite Beat Agents, Ouendan or Ouendan 2 you're gonna want earphones XD

And I think the game Japan_86 is thinking of is Jump! Ultimate Stars or its prequel, the name has slipped from my mind. It's also in Japanese, with characters from anime featured in Shonen Jump like the ones she listed. I haven't played it so I can't tell you much other than what I've gathered about it in interest. But I have been thinking of getting it.

Oh, you mentioned Sonic games, there is a DS version called Sonic Rush. I don't really like it because it can get confusing as the character falls between the two screens when you're running through each level. You either play as Sonic our favourite blue hedgehog, or the new character Blaze who is a purple cat. They both have their own abilities as usual, different to one another and face the stages in different orders. There's a few new system type things for points and stuff and gets complicated. I'm not a fan even as an avid Sonic lover, but you may want to look into it and judge it for yourself.

I also forgot Cooking Mama. It's so crazy and fun. There's recipes and you have to do each step and you'll be judged at the end to see how well you did. It can be addictive.

Hm, might be back later with more if I can think of them.

PS. Thanks ^__^[/COLOR]

[font=Verdana]I don?t own a Nintendo DS either, but one of the greatest things about the DS is that it is backwards compatible with the GBA. [/font]

[font=Verdana]Therefore, I think the original Advance Wars on GBA would be a fun game for you and it should be pretty cheap to find used nowadays. It?s a turn based strategy game that revolves around war. With anime-ish like characters, you control your own army commanding them where to go to prevent enemies from taking over a territory. I admit, it does takes a little bit of time to get to used to the controls, but it should be fairly simple to get used to. [/font]

[font=Verdana]However, if you only want DS games, then you could always pick up Advance Wars: Dual Strike for the DS which I?m pretty sure should be faithful to the original game that I cherish so much. Also, I second the Mario Kart DS recommendation. I play it every now and then on my friend?s DS, and I think it?s the best Mario Kart yet. Plus it?s a good game to get into right away for a long flight.[/font]