OtakuBoards

I'm out to prove...

visualkei

that I've got nothing to prove. Okay, sorry, it's from a Napoleon Dynamite poster.

My thread. Most of you out there care about something. Something that you're working for. And though sometimes we say it doesn't matter what other people think, a lot of times, it does.

I want to prove that I'm a good teacher. Showing that I want to learn and work with other teachers, doing lots of planning and preparation, taking the extra steps to make lessons meaningful and worthwhile to children, and simply working hard. I want to be recognized as a worthy teacher, especially since it'll be my first year come fall. I've been spending my year collecting things that will make a good learning environment and planning. I'm anticipating the start of school, the children, the teachers, and I'm even having nightmares about teaching. hehe. And so I've further realized how much I care about teaching.

I just want to know, [B]what do you care about that you want to prove your worth? That you want to be acknowledged for? Recognized? And how are you going about proving this? Preparing yourself?[/B]

I'd just like for some of you to share what you're working for. =]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I think that the thing I want most is for my opinion to matter. After all, I spend so much time discussing my opinions on things, writing reviews and blogs, arguing points, and influincing others. in the end I just want my opinion to effect someone or help them in some way. I want to be able to know that my reviews helped people - that I got someone to see deeper into something or come to appreciate an aspect of it. Most of this has to do with the fact that I take my hobbies very seriously.

Another thing I'd like to develope and be recognized for is my writing ability. One day I want to be able to write something and for people to like it and appreciate it and for me to be able to look at myself and say that I accomplished something. I've been trough a lot of hardships with my writing, but I think I've lately been getting my juices flowing with all the RPs I've been doing.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]I want to prove that I can defend myself. [URL=http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/taperson/pickle.jpg]*Postsecret*[/URL] I want to prove that I'm strong enough to handle a tough situation, especially after seeing so many of my friends go through them. The difference between them and me is that I [I]am[/I] strong, and I [I]know[/I] I can defend myself, get help, or help myself. I know I can, and I know some of them can't.
I want to prove that I am smart enough to make it. People see me as the dumb blonde, which is retarded because I'm not even blonde. But I don't understand it because I don't think I come across as that. I guess that's kind of why I want to go to Yale or Princeton. I want to be above all the "smart" kids I know. But oh well.

That's what I want to prove.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]
Another thing I'd like to develope and be recognized for is my writing ability. One day I want to be able to write something and for people to like it and appreciate it and for me to be able to look at myself and say that I accomplished something. I've been trough a lot of hardships with my writing, but I think I've lately been getting my juices flowing with all the RPs I've been doing.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy]That is my problem as well.I could be a great writer, but I only recieve opinions from DB mostly. He helps a lot, but 1 person can't shift the world. I write quite a lot of poetry as of late, and it's a hobby I've loved for some time now.[/COLOR]

[font=book antiqua]There's not much I do that can be reconized, so for anyone out there who knows me, this is obvious; I want to be reconized for my Martial Arts abilities.

More than anything in the world, I want to be known as a Martial Artist. It has gotten to the point where I will do almost anything to be seen, reconized, hell...even admired for skills in Karate. I spend close to 30 hours a week training, inside and out of the Dojo. It's kind of a fault of mine, I push away alot of oppertunaties to make friends just to try and achieve my goal. Unfortunatly for me, there are amazing Martial Artists in my Dojo, so I never get reconized, but I keep trying.[/font]

Guest Copycatalyst
Well, in a more real-world sense I want to get a degree in chemistry, and then on the side continue to write philosophic treatises, stories, especially poetry, and to continue to work at getting better at the guitar and my singing, too. Once I become a chemist I want to attempt to at least help influence an entire change in how we view pharmacology and substances in general, as well as how we handle patients and especially how we handle schizophrenics are those who have apparent "abnormal psychologies."

I will do this by eventually doing tests of hallucinogens, or perhaps merely of hypnagogic and various other states we all reach normally, and attempt to find consistency in the hallucinations people have. By doing this I can infer that there is indeed some similarity and actual [i]sameness[/i] to peoples' hallucinations/ altered states of perception and show that we needn't discredit substances, or those who are "insane" so much since from an insane person's perspective, [i]we are insane[/i]. Another interesting aspect this makes me think of is Jung's idea of the collective consciousness. This idea goes and says there are certain [i]forms[/i] or perceptions which we all perceive on a static level (which goes into what I was saying before), and that thus we must share these, since these similarities manifest themselves with or without stimulus to manifest them (or so I would like to attempt to prove, anyway).

So, for example, there is a very powerful stereotype of what an alien looks like. Often people who use a certain substance (I will withhold its name since we are dealing with younger people here) have hallucinations where they meet aliens, or other odd-entities. It's perhaps one of my theories, and others', that these aliens as we see them are merely a reflection of our future possible selves, since in my opinion man is currently at a chaotic, changeful state, that is basically what futurists call [i]transhuman[/i]. That's a whole new bucket of worms. But my point is that universally we share many various archetypes of forms and images which we collectively seem to own.

The real intention of me trying to lessen the distortion of "insanity" to "sanity" is to show that hallucinations often have real value, and that in fact reality, as we perceive it, is merely a certain wavelength of reality. Thus we share a consciousness together, and without being at certain "samenesses" we wouldn't be able to communicate with each other. Those who are insane have somehow disorderlied their "samenesses" or their wavelengthing of reality, so that it is all helter-skelter. They are merely becoming aware of things which we currently say don't exist or a scientist would say is unknown. And my theory would perhaps be that we manifest these unknowns with our fixed apparti to become merely a reflection of the actuality of these unknowns we may view when in certain states, of which we call that state "hallucinating." Further I would like to implicate that we hallucinate our reality, together, by being at a sameness of wavelengths and casting them out together. Thus our world is fashioned for us, as we see it.

This goes into Piaget, who said that the baby, anyway, was a constructivist of its own space. Which is to say it built it in its own mind with what he called "schemas" which are basically information blocks kept in the mind and staticized for ease of use. Man is in fact a constructivist of its own reality. This is inherent in its nature, for it alters its physical reality to fashion it into something that is of ease and use and creative. For example, a car. A car did not just come to exist; first it had to exist as a kind of schemata within one's mind.

To get more general the problem I wish to disperse of in science is that of the illusion of the observed to the observer. For man is, by its nature, an indirect observer of anything it observes when it is using its objective function of its reason. This is what a good scientist does. This indirectness is what allows man to observe, and become, anything it sees. So we saw a bird and we made an airplane. We saw a bear and we fished, [i]etc.[/i]. Currently in psychology there is the "nature-nurture" argument which seems to assert there is a "nature" and this nature is different than nurture. Currently most psychologists say nature and nurture equally come into the fashioning of a human being. By doing such they have, by making them equal, completely obliterated any meaning of the nature-nurture argument. And thus it is now merely a dichotomic fallacy.

This goes even more generally, and the problem in the west currently is the subject-object metaphysics. Which is to say, we assume there is some inherent difference between the subject, the one who observes, and the object, the one who is observed, when there isn't. And going back to what I was speaking of before, my main intent is to show how much chemicality influences reality, and that hallucinations are not necessarily completely unreal.

That was a lot of explaining! Anyway, the main thing I want to do is this, said in simpleness. I want to change the world and make an impact that is worthy of the power of my mind; for, I don't mean this egotistically at all--but I have very potent, powerful mind, and have always felt estranged from my surroundings my whole life. Because currently the world is [i]still[/i] indebted into religion, and not spirituality (there is a difference), and is still fighting pithy wars over it, and not to mention by necessity of what religion is it usually distorts what its so-called founders said. We see this with Jesus Christ, who has now become in so many words The Big Brother of America. We have the Buddha, who has kind of become a God one could say, or a godhead, like Jesus, for some schools of buddhism.

Science is the west's buddhism. :D Buddhism is really, as far as what its actual founder taught, one of the world's most agnostic religions and it simply completely states a perfect way in which to better the world. So to sum up what I also want to do is to get rid of these age-old values which are completely fallible in this day and age, and place new values and values not allied to fallible systems which assure mankind survives to at least some futurity past its current conflicted one.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'm out to prove that a man can lead a happy existence without proving a damn thing to anybody.

So far, so good. The key is understanding that success is pointless, because at the end of the day we're all gonna be just as dead-and-gone as the next person - just enjoy life anyway you want. That's what I'm out to prove.

Oh ya, and that big fat lazy losers get lucky sometimes. I'm out to prove that too. [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I want to prove that I don't need anything else but my talents to get along in life.

That doesn't mean I want to prove I'm an 'oh so brilliant' writer, artist, drummer or anything, because I don't think that. It's just that a lot of careers in life require people skills and I pretty much have people skills equivalent to that of a rhino on cocaine. Everyone tells me I need to get over it, though to be honest I really can't. I think my general fear of strangers kept me out of a lot of bad situations and I don't care - I can live with it.

I know for a fact you can't live off writing stories even if you're the best, or even art at that, which means everyone telling me to get over myself is right. If they're right, then I'm going to prove them wrong. As it turns out my talents have been the only thing I've learnt to control by myself, so I'm better at English because I taught myself most things before high school than I am at Science, even though my Science score is also high. I've got a placement for Work Experience in Medical Physics, but I'll never pick that career. Why? Because Science is not a natural talent of mine.

I'm still not entirely sure writing is a [i]natural[/i] talent, perhaps just a talent I picked up somewhere, or the closest thing to a talent I'll have. So far, it's the best thing I've got. And I want to prove my talent is the only thing I need to get along in life.

I think I'm just making things very very hard for myself, to be honest.[/SIZE]

Guest Copycatalyst
[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1] and I pretty much have people skills equivalent to that of a rhino on cocaine. .[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

lol

By the way, about the talent thing. Talent is just a cop out word people use in place of experience. Experience is the only thing that gives you anything. Your so-called talent is just the way you hardwired your head from your early experiences to be. Such as in my case it was writing, though I've basically burst out and I just want to be a renaissance man now. Mwhahahha. But yeah. Talent has nothing to do with jack **** in the end. Sure, you might be hardwired/ have the genes which make certain aspects of your life easier, but in the end it comes down to pure determination. You could learn to be or do anything if you really wanted it. That's the nature of the being you are. ;)

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]I want to prove that I don't need anything else but my talents to get along in life.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]I would love to do this too. My parents spent two hours lecturing me on a plethora of things a while ago, and the one that bothered me the most was how little they seem to think I'm capable of as far as my interests go.

I'm pretty sure they want me to graduate high school with near perfect grades and go to college and major in something useful and get some sort of degree. Then go out into the real world and get a real job and start a family and blah blah blah.

But there is no way in hell I can do any of that. Sure, I'll graduate high school, but I won't be in the top students. Sure, I'll try to go to college, but if I don't get accepted into where I want to go, it really won't hinder me very much.

And I definitely don't want to get married or have kids or have a ridiculously dull career. I'm a musician and a writer, and I am determined to live off of my songs and stories when I go out in the "real world." I'm not going to let myself fail.

What really offended me, though, was when they claimed they weren't trying to discourage me, but insisted that I'd have to have some extremely unique sound to survive off my music, and that people don't want to listen to ten hundred bands that all sound the same (which isn't exactly true, if you know anything about the hugely successful bands of today). That shows how much faith they really have in my creative ability.

Urggghhh. Sorry, I thought I finished ranting about this in my LiveJournal, but I guess I still had things to say.

So yeah. I want to prove that I'm capable of doing whatever the hell I want.[/font]

[color=blue]I want to prove to myself that I'm good enough. :animesigh

My life is full of great things: my boyfriend, my family, my writing, my art, my singing, my "talents" and "skills"... heck, my ability to turn a whirling furball with razors into a docile little kitty cat and keep a tribe of rampaging toddlers quiet. But somehow, no matter how many times someone tells me "Wow, you should go on American Idol" or "You'd make a great mom" I can't seem to convince [b]myself[/b] that it's true. I listen to recordings and go "Wow" but deny the fact that it could be me.

I have no real excuse for having such low self-esteem. I mean, I've sung at lunch before with friends and had people I've never met before tell me I'm awesome. Kids love me. My boyfriend thinks I'm the best thing to ever happen since... well, better than sliced bread. o_O So I'm out to prove to myself I'm that good.[/color]

[quote name='Clurr'][font=arial]I would love to do this too. My parents spent two hours lecturing me on a plethora of things a while ago, and the one that bothered me the most was how little they seem to think I'm capable of as far as my interests go.

I'm pretty sure they want me to graduate high school with near perfect grades and go to college and major in something useful and get some sort of degree. Then go out into the real world and get a real job and start a family and blah blah blah.

But there is no way in hell I can do any of that. Sure, I'll graduate high school, but I won't be in the top students. Sure, I'll try to go to college, but if I don't get accepted into where I want to go, it really won't hinder me very much.

And I definitely don't want to get married or have kids or have a ridiculously dull career. I'm a musician and a writer, and I am determined to live off of my songs and stories when I go out in the "real world." I'm not going to let myself fail.[/font][/QUOTE]

[color=darkorange]I think this deserves to be highlighted, for this is my way of thinking as well. It's funny, because when I look at a lot of places I see stories and things where someone lives under this mentality only to, in the end, give in and become normal (namely a certain anime I watched recently that got me depressed because of it >_>) I've always been bothered by it, because I don't know if Itruly have the strength to follow my dreams, but I know that as it stands, I'd rather die than be normal...[/color]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][color=darkorange]I'd rather die than be normal...[/color][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]Exactly. I'm sure if I was ever faced with the choice of being homeless and having a boring but normal life, I'd probably go with the latter. But as I'm pretty positive I'll never have to pick either lifestyle, it's not a big worry.

I'm only optimistic about things that I really really want, but the positive outlook combined with the motivation to work for it is most likely better than focusing half my time on being able to get a normal career should I not make it with my band or my stories not generate any interest.

It's like trying to fly off a building in a lucid dream. If you have any smidgen of doubt that you'll stay in the air, you'll just fall flat on the ground. [/font]