OtakuBoards

..The Guitarist Thread.

Nomurah!

[quote name='I'm Not Nomura'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Magenta"]Lately, I've been wanting to tune my guitar to Drop D, right now, it's tuned to regular, but I don't really feel like going through the tuning process, since I have a whammy bar on and everything..I have to loosen up abunch of crap to tune it.

I'll try to upload old pictures of my Telecaster and Axceleator(bass) later.

To Break. I can't fingerpick worth crap. I'm just so used to strumming. If you want something....nice and cheap...Get yourself either an Ibanez, or a Gibson. But if you're into the new kinds of Fenders, go for those too.

Anybody besides me drool at the sights of Paul Reed Smith Singlecuts?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Lately I've been scared to retune, or even restring, my guitars. I have snapped strings in the past and I don't like them snapping on me :(

Fingerpicking did take longer to pick up than anything else. And classical pieces I always forget (except for that favourite piece I mentioned), so I need the sheet music/tab with me when I play. I am too lazy to remember past the first sections.

Cheers for the recommendation.

[quote name='I'm Not Nomura'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Magenta"]Kirk Hammett is one of the best guitarists, he could kick James' butt anyday. Just Kidding. James is a powerful front man, but it all lies in Kirk. Even Dave Mustaine, the old guitarist, now in Mastodon, was a pro on stage. Yet, Dave got a little carried away. The only song I've really learned how to play by Metallica is Enter Sandman.
COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Actually, Dave Mustaine is in Megadeth. I can see where you can mix him up with Mastodon though. You can see the simillarites in the bands when Mustaine was still in Metallica. The riffs from Call of Ktulu and Hangar 18 sound eerily similar. I think that Dave Mustaine did the right move by going away from Metallica and moving on to Megadeth. Now we have two big acts that helped shaped Metal to what it is today and we have a little dispute over song crediting to thank for it.

Finger picking is an invaluable skill, however my nails will never be long enough to fingerpick effectively thanks to my nervous habit of biting my nails. Psh, who cares. Even I don't have my pick on me, I can use other things. Little paper footballs work for a while, but then the strings decide to get ignorant and break my perfectly fine paper footbal pick. All in all, I think that stumming still feels more natural to me and that finger picking should be left to the bassists. Some of the best bassists in the world were slap bassists.

Here's a new point of discussion.Can you name some bands that play rock music and you love what they play, but they don't belong to the Metal or Hard Rock Pantheon?

I personally liked the quirky new wave sound of the B-52s. Rock Lobster is just one of those songs that I love to play, and I love to hear people's impression of Fred Schneider. I also liked that they blended in the surf sound into their music. That made it just that more fun to listen to in my opinion

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']Here's a new point of discussion.Can you name some bands that play rock music and you love what they play, but they don't belong to the Metal or Hard Rock Pantheon?

I personally liked the quirky new wave sound of the B-52s. Rock Lobster is just one of those songs that I love to play, and I love to hear people's impression of Fred Schneider. I also liked that they blended in the surf sound into their music. That made it just that more fun to listen to in my opinion[/QUOTE]

Would [b]The Smiths[/b] count as rock? If not,[b] Led Zeppelin[/b] probably. Although I don't [i]love[/i] what they play, I still don't think they are terrible. [b]Deep Purple[/b] are another - I think I may like them more than Led Zep, actually.

I'm suprised no one's mentioned Vai or Satriani yet, they are brilliant. If you have mentioned them, sorry for not reading close enough :animeswea

[quote name='Break']Would [b]The Smiths[/b] count as rock? If not,[b] Led Zeppelin[/b] probably. Although I don't [i]love[/i] what they play, I still don't think they are terrible. [b]Deep Purple[/b] are another - I think I may like them more than Led Zep, actually.

I'm suprised no one's mentioned Vai or Satriani yet, they are brilliant. If you have mentioned them, sorry for not reading close enough :animeswea[/QUOTE]

Admit it, you only like Smoke on the Water. That what everyone I know says about Deep Purple. I'm like "Okay. Name another song besides Smoke on the Water". Not to bash on you or anything, I just don't like bands for just one song. I tried to listen to the rest of the Flock of Seagulls album, but "I ran" was the only song that got stuck in my head. ^_~ Oh and by the way, Deep Purple was an early metal band, as was Led Zepplin. They were some of the progenitors. Zepplin, Purple, Sabbath...etc etc.

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']Admit it, you only like Smoke on the Water. That what everyone I know says about Deep Purple. I'm like "Okay. Name another song besides Smoke on the Water". Not to bash on you or anything, I just don't like bands for just one song. I tried to listen to the rest of the Flock of Seagulls album, but "I ran" was the only song that got stuck in my head. ^_~ Oh and by the way, Deep Purple was an early metal band, as was Led Zepplin. They were some of the progenitors. Zepplin, Purple, Sabbath...etc etc.[/QUOTE]

Highway Star, The Mule (I love the drum solo, I know this is a guitar thread but what[i]ev[/i]) and Child In Time are songs that I like by Deep Purple. I do like Smoke On The Water, too lol. I didn't take it as a bash, do not worry :)

Early metal? Um... then I really don't know any real rock artists lol.

Are Flock Of Seagulls good? All I've seen and heard of are the hairdos. My hair used to be really weird - once my uncle walked into our house and one of the first things he said to me was "Flock of seagulls!" No explanation or anything, just that.. lol.

[quote name='Break']Highway Star, The Mule (I love the drum solo, I know this is a guitar thread but what[i]ev[/i]) and Child In Time are songs that I like by Deep Purple. I do like Smoke On The Water, too lol. I didn't take it as a bash, do not worry :)

Early metal? Um... then I really don't know any real rock artists lol.

Are Flock Of Seagulls good? All I've seen and heard of are the hairdos. My hair used to be really weird - once my uncle walked into our house and one of the first things he said to me was "Flock of seagulls!" No explanation or anything, just that.. lol.[/QUOTE]

You've heard their song "I ran (so far away)" on the radio and probably didn't even realized it was Flock of Seagulls. It goes something to the tune of "And I ran/I ran so far away/I just ran/ I ran so far away/ Gonna get away."

There are plenty of rock artists that were around before metal came about. Elvis? Bo Diddley? It doesn't have to be old bands either. Just a non metal or hard rock band. I love alternative bands. Like Green Day before American Idiot , U2, the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']You've heard their song "I ran (so far away)" on the radio and probably didn't even realized it was Flock of Seagulls. It goes something to the tune of "And I ran/I ran so far away/I just ran/ I ran so far away/ Gonna get away."

There are plenty of rock artists that were around before metal came about. Elvis? Bo Diddley? It doesn't have to be old bands either. Just a non metal or hard rock band. I love alternative bands. Like Green Day before American Idiot , U2, the Red Hot Chili Peppers.[/QUOTE]

I have definitely... probably heard it somewhere. Oh yeah I did quite like Green Day - even the not-so-widely-acclaimed Warning. Everyone probably says this, but Dookie I like a lot. Chilis are good too. I think I very much like, not their earlier stuff, but not their very new stuff. In between. U2 I find boring.

On a more guitar-related note, I used to be able to play the bass from a few Chilis' songs. On Mercury was my absolute favourite to play. Close second is probably one of the songs from Blood Sugar Sex Magic - they are a little harder for me, though.

[quote name='Break']I have definitely... probably heard it somewhere. Oh yeah I did quite like Green Day - even the not-so-widely-acclaimed Warning. Everyone probably says this, but Dookie I like a lot. Chilis are good too. I think I very much like, not their earlier stuff, but not their very new stuff. In between. U2 I find boring.[/QUOTE]

I liked Warning just fine. I wasn't too thrilled about Nimrod though. I loved Dookie and their Greatest hits Album:International Superhits is sex compressed into a CD and called a Green Day album. The Chili Peppers had the advantage of not changing their sound too much from their early days. I didn't like the Album with Dave Navarro though. John Frusciante is just a better fit for the band, seing as he was the original guitarist. I don't see why people hated their newer stuff. It's practically the same as older albums like Blood Sugar Sex Magik or Californication. I liked By The Way and Stadium Arcadium, which I believe was their crownining achievement.

U2 is awesome because their sound transcends time. I still listen to Bloody Sunday and In the Name of Love from time to time and I believe that U2 should be must listen to music because they have a song for everyone. I think that they should release a new album soon though. Bono needs to spend some more time in the studio,

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']I don't see why people hated their newer stuff. It's practically the same as older albums like Blood Sugar Sex Magik or Californication. I liked By The Way and Stadium Arcadium, which I believe was their crownining achievement.[/QUOTE]

I don't hate it, I just don't enjoy it as much. Perhaps because I've spent more time around the middle-albums than the newer ones.

I mean, I don't think they are terribly amazing, they are not in my favourite genre (and I prefer stuff that's easier to play on guitar :p). Of course they are talented, and they have been around for a long time - I'll give them that. Just doesn't tickle my ear drums like other things do.

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']Actually, Dave Mustaine is in Megadeth. I can see where you can mix him up with Mastodon though. You can see the simillarites in the bands when Mustaine was still in Metallica. The riffs from Call of Ktulu and Hangar 18 sound eerily similar. I think that Dave Mustaine did the right move by going away from Metallica and moving on to Megadeth. Now we have two big acts that helped shaped Metal to what it is today and we have a little dispute over song crediting to thank for it.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Whag of finger to you* xD I can't belive I just got Mastodon and Megadeth confused. Man. But uh...Dave really didn't want to leave Metallica. He kind of got dissed. He was really sad, and etc.

Honestly, I really don't like Deep Purple or Smoke on the Water. It was the first song I learned and all, besides Iron Man...But I really wouldn't listen to it on a daily basis.

Well, I tried finger picking today on my electric...and...No good. lol. Teach me the ways of your skill, massah.[/SIZE]

[quote name='I'm Not Nomura'][SIZE="1"]Whag of finger to you* xD I can't belive I just got Mastodon and Megadeth confused. Man. But uh...Dave really didn't want to leave Metallica. He kind of got dissed. He was really sad, and etc.

Honestly, I really don't like Deep Purple or Smoke on the Water. It was the first song I learned and all, besides Iron Man...But I really wouldn't listen to it on a daily basis.

Well, I tried finger picking today on my electric...and...No good. lol. Teach me the ways of your skill, massah.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

It wasn't me that got Megadeth and Mastodon confused. That was Break *wags finger*. Shame on you for pointing fingers I'm not Nomura, shame on you. I know the story behind Dave Mustaine leaving Metallica, trust me :P.

As for finger picking....that's something that comes along with lots of practice and knowing your way around your guitar. I can't really suggest any tips or tricks, because that comes with personal preference. I only finger pick when I'm playing something like "Good Riddance" or "Minority" by Green Day, but that's only because some of those parts are acoustic. Acoustic is definitely better for strumming than electric though.

[COLOR="Navy"]We had practice for the band I'm in... finally. And my friends have admitted that I've gotten better at playing. In fact I have blisters of my fingers because I've been playing for hours. I''ve also learned that guitar Hero 2 makes me go nuts... addicting.

I have also learned a couple new things and I've been trying them out. I feel that the bass is finally growing on me. I'm getting better by the weeks, and I hope I can get really good in the next few years. I am self-tought though, it may take longer.[/COLOR]

My band has been practicing for a little gig that we're doing in about two weeks. We're playing at a qunicenera and I can't wait to play again cause I'm not stuck on the Guitar.They asked us to play some easy songs that even our new guitarist can play, like "When I come Around" by Green Day.

I have the setlist on hand

"Wild Rock" (sayuki theme, always our first song)
"When I come Around"-Green Day
"Iron Man" - Black Sabbath
"Someday"- Sugar Ray

then I get to play guitar for these ones....

"Ace of Spades"- Motorhead
"The Trooper"- Iron Maiden
"Beast and the Harlot"- Avenged Sevenfold
"Search and Destroy"- Iggy Pop and the Stooges

It's gonna be cool. We get paid for it too, so that's awesome. The only thing is that we have to wear tuxes, so it's gonna be hard to RAWK in a tux. We're going to loosen up when we start playing though. We'll probably be in only shirts and pants...meh *shrugs*

[FONT="Arial"]I just bought a Hartke 60 watt half stack today. I'm pretty sure it's loud enough to power a show, but my parents would freak out if I played it above the low volume setting. The crunch doesn't sound all that great, and my distortion pedal sounds even worse. I'm hoping it's just the volume setting, though, or maybe I need to play around with the settings a bit.

I also had my first band practice last night--if you could call it that. The bassist has never played before and we were already playing short songs together. Today she told me that she learned Pennywise's cover of Stand By Me.

So, I'm hoping that with my new amp I'll be able to play some kind of show soon.

EDIT: The distortion sounds a LOT better now. I don't know what changed but before it was very deep and thick, and now it's very clear.

I love that I have the volume on 1 and I can feel the sounds vibrations through my chair. <333 [/FONT]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]I just bought a Hartke 60 watt half stack today. I'm pretty sure it's loud enough to power a show, but my parents would freak out if I played it above the low volume setting. The crunch doesn't sound all that great, and my distortion pedal sounds even worse. I'm hoping it's just the volume setting, though, or maybe I need to play around with the settings a bit.

So, I'm hoping that with my new amp I'll be able to play some kind of show soon.

EDIT: The distortion sounds a LOT better now. I don't know what changed but before it was very deep and thick, and now it's very clear.

I love that I have the volume on 1 and I can feel the sounds vibrations through my chair. <333 [/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Make sure all the bass frequencies on the amp and the pedal are at a resonable level.

Can you show me the control settings on the amp and the pedal before you found the new, better-sounding ones? I could probably help you out in terms of making it not sound so muddy during shows.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Billy Shears'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Make sure all the bass frequencies on the amp and the pedal are at a resonable level.

Can you show me the control settings on the amp and the pedal before you found the new, better-sounding ones? I could probably help you out in terms of making it not sound so muddy during shows.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"][IMG]http://www.bossus.com/ProductImages/DS-1.jpg[/IMG]

With my old amp, I kept all the knobs at the maximum.

Amp: [url]http://http://www.switchmusic.com/images/g15v_small.jpg[/url]

When I had the pedal on, I usually had the gain either off or below one, and the volume and band knobs all the way up.

I haven't tried the pedal on the new amp since the built-in crunch started sounding better, and I'm currently on vacation so I can't toy with it until I get home.[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]I went to the Guitar Center in my state capital on saturday, and while my dad went into the achoustic section, I stayed back and drooled over some of the nice electrics. And, a guy named Ben, who worked there was playing a song by the Number 12, so of course, I walk over and say hey. So, we start talking, and it turns out he is the guitarist of Asteios, one of my faves in the local scene, and he invites me to a concert. It was absolutely sweeeeet.

Anywho. Later that night, my cousin was in town for my grandfather's birthday party, so he spent the night and we played guitar all night, and my favorite part was the "duel" if you will, in which we went back in forth with guitar solo bits, kind of like a Dragonforce song, lol. He tuned my guitar to drop c, and it actually sounds pretty nice. After that, we tuned it to Drop D, and I kept it like that ever since.

Yepyepyep.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Ok... i'm going to have to admit it right off the bat. I'm a hug Metallica fan. Their guitar licks are just flat out amazing in my opinion. I love listening to seek and destroy, motorhead, enter sandman, fade to black, master of puppets, one, and a whole huge list of their songs.... battery too. Those are the ones that come to mind. I can play seek and destroy minus about 4/5 of the solo. I can play motorhead minus most of the solo. I can play enter sandman including the solo but i haven't got any of the cool effects because i'm poor. Fade to black and master of puppets in their entireties. It's wicked fun to just blast their songs and play along and jump all over the place.

My guitar is an epiphone sg special. I have a rolan micro cube or whatever it's called. Extremely inexpensive gear, but it all puts out a sweet sound. You'd definitely be surprised if you saw the amp then heard it in that order. ...actually, you'd be surprised if the order were reversed, i dunno why i said in that order. I want desperately to upgrade. I've been thinking about getting a strat for a long time. Also would love an acoustic nylon string. I need a better amp and some effects... but what i have now is working and is settling my heavy thrash metal needs.

Hah... my first guitar, the one i learned all the basics on, was actually a mini-guitar, a mini-acoustic-guitar! It's got maybe... 12+ frets on it and is freckin' tiny. I laugh when i think of it now. When i first got my electric guitar i was like... holy shet! It's huge!!!

My favorite guitarists are... kirk hammet, jimi hendrix, and whoever plays guitar on sum 41. I just love their stuff, it sounds good.

[/FONT][/COLOR]