OtakuBoards

..The Guitarist Thread.

Nomurah!

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]Well, this thread is basically just about guitars, guitarists, etc. You get the idea.

Let's start off, with discussing our axes. I used to play a old Fender Telecaster, in ment condition and all, but I wanted something a bit new, fresh, etc.

So, I now play an Ibanex RG series guitar, running through a BOSS ME-50 Multi Effects pedal board, into a Fender DeVille amp. I like to use distortion alot, chorus when I don't have distortion on. It's a nice setup, easy to play rock music with, my guitar is absolutely wicked. Etc.

Lately, I've been playing "Wow, I can Be Sexual Too!" by Say Anything. The guitar in that song gets to me, and I absolutely adore it.

My favorite guitarists are: Alexi Laiho, and Marc Henderson...along with alot of other guitarists. Yep.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]I've been playing guitar for about seven years now. I'm self-taught so I'm definitely not as good as a should be over that amount of time.

My first guitar was a very cheap Mark II acoustic my mom probably got at Walmart. For Christmas 2004, I asked for an electric, but got a nice but enormous Esteban acoustic instead (which was very disappointing). Finally, three or four months later, I bought a Wildfire electric package.

It's falling apart now, though; the bottom strap knob came out because the screw hole got warped somehow, and the jack is being held on by duct tape (its hold on the cord is terrible, though). I asked for an Epiphone Les Paul Studio (alpine white) for my birthday, but I put greater emphasis on my need of a half stack of amps so my parents are probably going to give me that instead.

What I REALLY want is a full-fledged Gibson Les Paul Studio, in pretty much every color they come in.

I would have to say my favorite guitarist is Jade Puget of AFI. His work really helped the band progress forward, as evident from the major difference between their first three albums and Black Sails in the Sunset forward. I consider him to be a musical genius, his guitar compositions are so amazing. On top of that, he has a vibrant stage presence (and is very attractive :] ).[/FONT]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]I've been playing now...for about three years. It helps alot, that my dad used to be a band and is a really good guitarist, along with my brother, so it kind of runs in the family. Lately, me and my friend Austin have been jamming out on guitar instead of actually practicing our band's written stuff, and we're writing some random material.

My first guitar ever, was a (???) Black...Viper, I think, and I got it when I was four (haha I know). Then I got a Squire Bullet around six...or seven...or eight. I didn't really actually [I]learn[/I], I just banged on it lol...Then, I found alot of interest in music...and I started learning how to play on my dad's Telecaster.

And now, here I am.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

You guys are going to hate me. My uncle was collecting guitars and when I told him I wanted to play, he gave me his old 1960 Gibson Les Paul that he had. It's quite simple the best guitar ever made.I also have an Ibanez IBZ10G Guitar Combo Amplifier (10 Watts, 1x6 in.) which puts out a lot of sound for such a small stack. My distortion pedal is kinda weird though because it's wound so tight that I can't switch between my settings easily...just like those guys on GH2 who couldn't do the stuff for Killing in the Name.

My favorite song to play right now would be "Snow (Hey Oh)" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The opening lick is just so cool and John Frusciante does have some crazy good stuff. Not easy, but definitely not as hard as other stuff like Megadeth.

My favorite guitarists right now would be John Frusciante, Marcus Henderson, Dimebag Dave (RIP) and Slash.

[quote name='Sesshomarufan'] My favorite guitarists right now would be John Frusciante, Marcus Henderson, Dimebag Dave (RIP) and Slash.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Dimebag Darrell Abbott, you mean?

Anyway, no, we don't hate you, but....we envy you lol. You're lucky to have such a good guitar.

Lately...I've been having obsessions with using only Dunlop 45 mm. picks...which remind me of paper xD. I like the feel of them...and gosh. I spent alot of money on getting alot of picks aha.

When I need to go, and I can't take my amps and setup with me, I take my small Roland Microcube that I have, and it's quite handy, but it doesn't sound quite as good as my BOSS setup.

I really want to be as good as Marc Henderson though. He played all of the songs on GH/GH2 along with buddies, and he can really...play anything. I don't want to grow on one style right now, so I've been trying to switch it up alot.

Right now, I'm looking up a tab for The Suffering by Coheed and Cambria, which I can't believe I havn't already done.

This post was very random.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT="Arial"]What kind of distortion pedal do you have? I use a Boss DS-1, but once I get a half stack I'm going to get a footswitch so I can just use the amp's distortion. I really want a Marshall; apart from being a very well-known and well-reviewed amp, I loved the tone it produced when I played one at the local Sam Ash. (Unfortunately I had to ask for a measly old Hartke for my birthday, booo).

Right now, my favorite songs to play are "Despair Factor" and "6 to 8" both by AFI and on their Art of Drowning album. I know how to play over twenty AFI songs, though, my favorites to play change as I continue learning new songs.

As for strings, I don't think I'd be comfortable using anything other than D'addario on all of my guitars. I don't even remember how any other kind of string felt, I've been using them for so long.

For anyone looking to learn guitar, my advice would be to buy an electric before acoustic. When I was confined to my acoustics, there were so many songs I couldn't play that I could automatically do once I got my electric.

Of course, I still can't do some important techniques (alternate picking, pinch/artificial harmonics) but I blame that on my lack of a teacher.

Oh yeah, picks. I prefer Jim Dunlop, medium, but I've lost so many picks that I'll just use whatever I can find. I have an autographed Trans-Siberian Orchestra pick, but it's very heavy, and I'm much more accustomed to the thinner kind.

Agh, edit number a thousand: I keep my guitar tuned to E flat, which I started doing because the songs I was learning to play (AFI, of course) were tuned down. I just use the tuning in place of standard for everything else, though, and all my own songs are in E flat.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I started out with a guitar my dad built. It was just a simple Strat copy, which turned out to be pretty good guitar. he used it until I was about 10 years old. It was all black at first, then he sprayed part of it grey, then my mom painted a silouhette of John Lennon's face on it. He gave it to me, along with a Vox Pathfinder 15 watt amplifier, which was an awesome practice amp. After the wiring on that guitar went haywire, he gave me a Squier Strat, which in a few years, I took off the neck and forever screwed the action on it.

I played on and off, picking up songs and chords here and there for a while, and started seriously playing about 2 or 3 years ago. I ditched the Squier and got a real Strat, a 3-tone sunburst Standard. Still plays great.

2 years ago I picked up and Epiphone Les Paul in cherry sunburst. About 7 months after I bought it, it fell off a stand and snapped the headstock. During the time I accumulated the money for a repair, I snatched and Epi Dot Special Semihollow for 200$. Great guitar. Absolutely perfect neck.

I repaired the Les Paul and replaced the stock pickups with DiMarzios. Now the thing sounds great. The Dot is next, hopefully installing some real Gibson pickups will breathe more life into it.

As for amps, the Vox is done (bent input jack), so I bought a Peavey ValveKing 50 watt combo. Plain, 2-channel tube beast.

I have alot of pedals too, but I will go in detail later.

Songs I like to play: 'No One Knows' By [B]Queens of the Stone Age[/B] and 'Freewill' by [B]Rush[/B]

@ Clurr: I wouldn't ditch that distortion pedal yet. Depending on what kind of Marshall you want to buy, you could use that DS-1 as an output booster. If you are buying a tube Marshall (I advise against solid-state Marshalls, especially the MG series, the cabinets sound like poopoo compared to other Marshall cabs), keep the DS-1 in your effects chain with the distortion turned all the way down and the level all the way up. It adds alot of punch and clarity to an overdriven Marshall. Good for solos/lead parts that require sustain. Just make sure you don't blow your eardrums.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I've been playing for 3 or 4 years. I started on an Ibanez entry model (which I will forever suggest to ANYONE, because that thing was cheap and still works beautifully. Now I play on a BC Rich Platinum Pro Pearl SE Warlock. Normally, I don't like BC Rich guitars (the action and muddy tone tend to annoy me), but mine is a really nice model I got for a price I couldn't refuse. Plus the white finish with black binding make for a very pretty axe. The action is nice and low, and I run D'Addario XL strings, extra light gauge.

I've got a Crate half-stack (I don't know the exact model, and I'm not at home so I can't check). I just use the built-in distortion instead of a pedal. Crate has some excellent distortion models build right into their heads, so I'm perfectly happy with that.

Besides practicing and writing my own music, I've been playing songs by [B]Agalloch[/B], [B]Battlelore[/B], [B]Falkenbach[/B], [B]Amon Amarth[/B], and [B]Candlemass[/B].

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I dunno, maybe I'm too big of a tone-snob, but most solid-state distortion just sounds plastic to me. If you turn any insignificant amount of bass into the distorted tone of a solid state amp, it turns super fuzzy and really muddy.

I guess I have just played too many terrible sounding solid-state amps. My Vox was good, and there are some really nice Randall heads that are solid-state and sound nice, but most of it is a big no-no.

I'm pretty particular with my strings. I look mostly into somewhat brigter-toned strings that last a long time. I hate changing strings so much.

My Strat is equipped with Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (.009-.042), the Les Paul with D'addario XL (.010-.050), and the Dot Semihollow with D'addario XL (.012-.053)

I like the grey Dunlop picks, either .77 or .88 millimeter thickness, but most of the time anything will do.

As for tuning, standard is good, with the exception of the Dot dropped a whole step for easy blues bending and such. I swear, anyone who bends their strings should at least play that guitar. It basically bends the strings for you.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]I'm in no way shape or form, a guitar know-it-all. Half the terms said in this thread leave me at a "what?" the only way I know what you guys mean is if you told me.

Well i myself am a bassist. I have a black Fender bass guitar which I bought in a set. (bass, amp, video, cord, etc) I practice a few times a week because it helps me develop the skills faster. I let my mind settle down so it can take in the stuff I read and play. But I'll be playing a lot more as my summer vacation progresses... a lot more! I spend most of my time playing it when I listen to my music. I like to play in solitude, usually when no one is around because that's when I can get creative.

If my friend was a member and he saw this thread; he would swoon to it! He broke his guitar a few months ago, and now he has a new one which he feels it's his baby. He is the lead vocals and lead guitar in the band Death Vapors (I loath that name!!) We are hardly working at it because he never tells any of us "there's practice tomorrow be there or else!" We plan it but I never see it done. Next time I get a hold of him I'm going to give him a piece of my mind. I want to get this done so bad! I want to become a great music artist when I grow up, and I'm sick of waiting for my chances! If I don't start somewhere I will go nowhere. After all, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Currently I'm thinking abouts selling my bass and getting a regular guitar. I feel like I'd be better at that than the bass because I hate the bass, the only reason I got it was so I could be in a band. Maybe if I play my cards right, I'll get a band going. Now I don't sound very loving of my instrament, I like playing it, but I just hate it! I've played a regular guitar and it feels very nice to play, the bass gets a little boring becasue you can't really do that much with it and the low sound makes me droopy.

But I spend a lot of my time playing Breaking Benjamin songs like Topless. I have a few tabs on my computer's word pad program, this XP of mine is my music sanctuary. BB's Topless is pretty easy for beginners, I love the song because I can sing every word anytime I want and it has a deep soothing sound which I love so much. Once I can play teh whole thing at once, I'll be playing and singing topless at my house. the next song of their's I want to learn is Uknown soldier, that song is beautiful.

Breaking Benjamin is my favorite band and Ben Burnly is my idol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"][quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]I'm in no way shape or form, a guitar know-it-all. Half the terms said in this thread leave me at a "what?" the only way I know what you guys mean is if you told me.

Now I don't sound very loving of my instrament, I like playing it, but I just hate it! I've played a regular guitar and it feels very nice to play, the bass gets a little boring becasue you can't really do that much with it and the low sound makes me droopy.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Get acquainted with the terms quick or you will fail, since most guitar based debates are about those things. Most of the people you will encounter though are mindless goons who are way too attached to the brands they play.

[SIZE="4"][URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=8vdJvHE8qxA"][B]VICTOR WOOTEN[/B][/URL] SHOULD BE YOUR NEW IDOL BECAUSE HE CAN DO ANYTHING ON BASS AND IT IS NOT BORING.[/SIZE]

Seriously. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Prem, have you even seen Flea, from the Red Hot Chili Peppers play? He does some crazy stuff and that's definitely not boring. Check him out when you get the chance. I suggest Higher Ground for a good bass opening and line.

If I'm right "No one knows" by Queens of the Stone Age has a good Bass lick to it too.

Bassists don't have as many limited options as you would think. You just got stuck playing the boring stuff. Like the bass line from "Message in a Bottle", which any brain dead monkey could play.

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]Now I don't sound very loving of my instrament, I like playing it, but I just hate it! I've played a regular guitar and it feels very nice to play, the bass gets a little boring becasue you can't really do that much with it and the low sound makes me droopy.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]People have already told you that there really is a lot you can do with a bass, but I'll just reiterate it. I don't know how bassists can stand playing music that consists of eight of the same notes per measure. I'm sure everyone is sick of my AFI-praise, but their bassist, Hunter, has done some very exciting stuff. So many of their songs begin with an awesome bass intro: Death of Seasons, the Nephilim, Lost Souls, etc. Not to mention the absolutely perfect bass lines in other songs, such as Now the World, 6 to 8, and the Great Disappointment.

I love playing bass almost as much as I love playing guitar, as long as what I'm playing is actually challenging.

And to every musician: how do you compose? I use this great program, [U][URL="http://www.power-tab.net/"]Power Tab,[/URL][/U] which is fairly easy to use as long as you have some knowledge of music theory. After you tab out a piece, you can export it as a text file and a midi.

Unfortunately, sometimes I'll write a song and absolutely love it, but there'll be something about it that I just can't do myself. My best song, "Of Sound Mind," has a cute little solo at the end, but since I'm horrible at alternate picking I can't do it.

Power Tab is also very very helpful if you're trying to learn a song. [U][URL="http://www.powertabs.net"]Power Tab Archive[/URL][/U] has tons of fully tabbed out songs that you can play along to.[/FONT]

[font=arial][size=1]There's a local band here that I saw once where the guitarist's guitar was tuned and distorted to where it sounded like a bass, and their bass was raised up to where it was a pretty convincing guitar. I have no idea why they'd want to do that, but I was pretty surprised. It's a nice gimmick I guess.

So, I play a rip-off of a Fender strat. It's by a company called New York Pro and it's a complete piece of ****. On top of that, I bought it used. From a flea market. My amp came with said guitar, the brand is Danville. It's the size of my head. I got my dad to pay for this while we were shopping in Florida, and as soon as I got home, the knob on the bottom which holds the strap on pulled the hell out. I had to get that repaired. Whenever I strum the bass-E string, its peg rattles.

I'm too broke for another guitar or amp, and music does not run in my family AT ALL. My parents think I'm wasting time and they don't want me living the "rock and roll lifestyle" so they won't pitch in for me to afford something.

I managed to get a pretty nice pedal by Digitrex two years ago. It does pretty much everything under the sun, 80 built-in functions and you can program over 40 of them. I'm happy with it, but I definitely need more specialized equipment.

My favorite guitarist is probably Josh Jakubowski who played in several influential hardcore bands like Hot Cross, The Now, Joshua Fit for Battle, and Neil Perry. He could shred but also play really touching, melodic pieces and combine them seamlessly. When he played in Hot Cross, he adopted a technical style that carried the entire band's sound. When he left the band, their sound never really recovered from it.[/font][/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I've had a [B]Fender [/B]whosit since I was 10 and dreamt of playing, though I was too young and stupid to keep interest. Nowadays I wouldn't mind learning, though lately I take more interest in the bass since I've come up with some cool riffs on my bro's.

As for my favorite guitarists...

[B]Claudio Sanchez [/B]from [B]Coheed and Cambria [/B]is simply amazing. The extended solos from their live shows are great, especially the version of [B]The Final Cut[/B] seen in their DVD [B]The Last Supper[/B]. He plays with his guitar behind his head, with a violin thingy, and, of course, with his teeth, and the other guitarist gets in some great talk box usage on some songs. An amazing band, truly.

[B]Omar A Rodriguez-Lopez [/B]from [B]The Mars Volta [/B]is one of the more creative guitarists out there. I can't even really describe his guitar playing - you just have to hear it in action. Listen to the songs[B] L'via L'viaquez [/B]and [B]Tetragrammaton [/B]to really hear it in action. [/COLOR]

You know who has some good stuff that's real good for guitar players to learn when they are trying to mix it up? Carlos Santana. Corazon Espinado is one of my favorites. Most people are turned off by Latin songs, but Santana's guitar solos in that song are just awesome. When you can get a full band to play the accompaning instruments, it can get pretty intense.

Oh and if you can get a chance to listen to some of their songs from their first album. The Gorillaz have some really cool bass lines. Even in their Hip Hop songs, the Bass takes center stage for some of the melodies. I suggest "Tommorrow Comes Today" "El Manana" and "Double Bass". That is some pretty cool collaboration between Bass Guitar and Hip Hop beats to make an authentic sound. Nothing much in terms of variety and difficulty...but if you can get the accompany right...it sounds just plain awesome.

For music composition and writing, I use Sonic Fire. It's a mixture of the program Sonic and a hint of GarageBand from Apple Computers. The program itself has many loops and sounds for any occasion (I once made game show music for a play production). It also has an in depth tabbing section that allows you to write your own tabs and can play them back to you with any instrument you choose....which means you can create a key-tar line with only your Guitar. Pretty Awesome. The only draw back is that it's really expensive and it has a steep learning curve. But if you are so inclined to get it, I would definitely recommend it.

[color=darkred]I play a second hand Aria blue Stratocaster, which isn't bad for a first guitar. I've been playing for a year now and I only recently started to take it very seriously. The amount of practicing I've been doing this past month has done so much more for me than the past year of messing around whilst watching TV or something has. Metronomes rock. \m/ -__- \m/

My amp is pretty poor as well, but again, for a first amp I'm not complaining. It has decent overdrive and not that much feedback (but enough to make whatever I play sound bad lol).

I'm really into playing heavy metal, which is the most complex and demanding guitar genre, so my long guitar practice sessions are warranted. The cool thing about it though is that it sort of sets a guitar precedent... learn the tough stuff and you can play RHCP songs no problem. My favourite guitarists are Dimebag and Randy Rhoads. Dimebag wrote the catchiest and most basic riffs (his solos on the other hand...), and had the most monstrous tone I have ever heard. Even heavier than Machine Head's in my opinion. Randy Rhoads was Randy Rhoads. Simple as that. It's a huge shame that they're both dead.

Anyway, for my next guitar I'd like a white Gibson V. They're affordable and are pure sex to look at, but my ultimate guitar would be a black Dean Razorback ML. They're just ****ing evil.[/color]

[FONT="Arial"]I really don't like oblong guitar shapes, like the Flying V, for some reason. I tried playing one once and it felt all wrong. I'm pretty prejudiced against anything that isn't a Les Paul, and I've never even played one. I just think they're the prettiest. :]

My amp is pretty crappy, too. I have a Drive 15 watt that came with the guitar. It has an alright tone for it's size, I guess, except I can't turn the Gain up at all because combined with the distortion pedal, it sounds absolutely vomituous. So my clean tone is very weak (all the songs I know with clean tone also have distortion at some point). My friend has a Fender strat (which I'm going to use whenever I play live, unless I get the Epiphone for my birthday) and a Mark II amp that is absolutely TERRIBLE for distortion, but has a really nice clean tone.

I also have to run my bass through the drive amp, since I don't have an actual bass amp. I just turn the treble and middle way down and leave the bass on full, and it sounds okay. I'm not a sound connoisseur though, so I bet it could sound better.

[center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ShikyoKasu/0815018.jpg[/IMG]
[SIZE="1"]This picture is almost a year old, but that's my amp and my pedal.
[/SIZE][/center]

[u][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ShikyoKasu/HardcoreVeruca174.jpg"]Electric[/URL]
[Url="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ShikyoKasu/?action=view¤t=Clairesbass.jpg"]Bass[/url]
[url=http://a509.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/59/l_f2d8c97bd2f81d52cd2c59411a0f533c.jpg]Acoustic[/url][/u][/FONT]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]I really don't like oblong guitar shapes, like the Flying V, for some reason. I tried playing one once and it felt all wrong. I'm pretty prejudiced against anything that isn't a Les Paul, and I've never even played one. I just think they're the prettiest. :][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]That's cool. I personally hate the look of Telecasters. Flying Vs are just a bit tough to sit down with, but it just takes getting used to just as playing standing up takes getting used to. But Les Paul's are [i]freakin heavy[/i], whether you're standing or sitting.[/color]

[quote name='Bombu'][color=darkred]That's cool. I personally hate the look of Telecasters. Flying Vs are just a bit tough to sit down with, but it just takes getting used to just as playing standing up takes getting used to. But Les Paul's are [i]freakin heavy[/i], whether you're standing or sitting.[/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]Do you know how they compare to a bass guitar? Because my guitar is extremely lightweight (it's a lot smaller than most guitars), but I also play bass, so the weight of a guitar shouldn't bother me too much.[/FONT]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]I've been playing guitar for about seven years now. I'm self-taught so I'm definitely not as good as a should be over that amount of time.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Same. Well, except for a shorter period of time. Four or five years.

I own an Ashton classical guitar and a Yamaha acoustic. Don't ask me to name what [i]types[/i] - I don't know them lol. I play classical (finger picking) and regular guitar styles. I dunno which I prefer. I really like to shred it up on a friend's electric sometimes though. I want an electric, something cheap but decent. Dunno if any of you could help me out?

Favourite song to play... Study no. 7 in Am by Matteo Carcassi. You can listen to a midi version of it [URL="http://www.classtab.org/mc60_07.mid"][b][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]here.[/COLOR][/b][/URL] Also I like to play Romance ([URL="http://www.classtab.org/zanroma1.mid"][b][COLOR="royalblue"]this one[/COLOR][/b][/URL]), which is an anonymous piece. It's one of my faaavourites!

As for electric guitar - I'm a little rusty on anything, since I don't own one. I could bore you with classical guitar music for ages though lol. I do like Brand New songs though because a lot of them are acoustic. The ones I love to play are "Play Crack The Sky", "I Will Play My Game Benath The Spin Light" and "Soco Amaretto Lime". I can sing these songs while playing so it's even fun..ner. To be honest, they are quite easy, only chords, although the strumming patterns can be hard to figure out.

Guitarists? Tom Morello, simply for his innovation and creativity. I preferred his work with Rage Against The Machine rather than with Audioslave, but he is still good nonetheless. I also like Johnny Marr from the Smiths. Some of his melodies were brilliant, and the chords in some songs make me melt lol.

I used to play bass guitar, too, and I could play literally every single Rage Against The Machine song except for 5 or so. It definitely helps guitar if you start playing bass. I was self taught on both and I don't remember having any problems with either.

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]Do you know how they compare to a bass guitar? Because my guitar is extremely lightweight (it's a lot smaller than most guitars), but I also play bass, so the weight of a guitar shouldn't bother me too much.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]I'm not too sure. The last time I played either was about a year ago in the guitar shop so it's tough to compare...[/color]

Depending on what year and model you wanted to get, Les Pauls and Les Paul Specials vary in size and weight. LP Specials are defnitely smaller and lighter though. But as far as LP's and Bass Guitars go, the Les Paul is definitely heavier than most Basses, with the exception of a few (like the Stingray, that thing is enormous). But the Les Paul is, for my money, the best guitar to own out there. With the right equipment, you can put some pretty sounds out of it.

As far as Guitarists go for heavy metal stuff, people often overlook James Hetfield from Metallica. He did some great stuff and how many people do you know have the tabs for at least one of Metallica's songs? I can play "Ride the Lightning" and "Seek and Destroy" just fine, without the use of another guitar.

I personally liked Morello in Audioslave better than RATM but that's just personal preference on my part. I loved Killing in the Name. It's my number two most played song on iTunes. Behind Iris, by the Goo Goo Dolls. I also liked the acoustic licks from Misorlu (Sp?) by Dick Dale. When I play it in public, people often get that jaw dropping look, like "You can play that?". I don't like the idiots that start singing the lyrics to "Pump it" by the Black Eyed Peas. It's two different songs people.

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']As far as Guitarists go for heavy metal stuff, people often overlook James Hetfield from Metallica. He did some great stuff and how many people do you know have the tabs for at least one of Metallica's songs? I can play "Ride the Lightning" and "Seek and Destroy" just fine, without the use of another guitar.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]I think it's impossible to overlook James Hetfield. He, amongst a handful of other people steered metal in the direction it's in now with his songwriting. Not only that, but he has such an aura-ful presence when he is on stage, and many say that Metallica's strength has been and always will be their live act, but I personally believe that their live act is mostly down to Hetfield.

As for Pump It, I watched the Black Eyed Peas at Live Earth on the television... I don't see the point of their existance in music.[/color]

[quote name='Bombu'][color=darkred]I think it's impossible to overlook James Hetfield. He, amongst a handful of other people steered metal in the direction it's in now with his songwriting. Not only that, but he has such an aura-ful presence when he is on stage, and many say that Metallica's strength has been and always will be their live act, but I personally believe that their live act is mostly down to Hetfield.

As for Pump It, I watched the Black Eyed Peas at Live Earth on the television... I don't see the point of their existance in music.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Magenta"]Kirk Hammett is one of the best guitarists, he could kick James' butt anyday. Just Kidding. James is a powerful front man, but it all lies in Kirk. Even Dave Mustaine, the old guitarist, now in Mastodon, was a pro on stage. Yet, Dave got a little carried away. The only song I've really learned how to play by Metallica is Enter Sandman.

Anywho. To the bassists, you've gotta admit. When everything gets quiet for a midsection, and it's a bass solo, and then everything goes crazy...Who made you feel all good during that bass solo? The bassist. Woot. As for bass....I havn't been playing much lately. But, I have seen bands that have made me want to go play again...But..I wish I had a stand-up bass. Jonny Come Lately and Tiger Army make their music sound great with those stand-up bassists. O.o

So. Back into the merch I use. D'Addario are the best strings hands down. Not sure what pickups I'm using...I forgot :animeswea but I really want a set of EMG pickups. Lately, my wah has been acting up...Whenever I set my pedal board to the wah pedal...it stays on wah, through out the whole thing,so the wah pedal basically doesn't work, and when Octave + is on, it screeches :[.

Lately, I've been wanting to tune my guitar to Drop D, right now, it's tuned to regular, but I don't really feel like going through the tuning process, since I have a whammy bar on and everything..I have to loosen up abunch of crap to tune it.

I'll try to upload old pictures of my Telecaster and Axceleator(bass) later.

To Break. I can't fingerpick worth crap. I'm just so used to strumming. If you want something....nice and cheap...Get yourself either an Ibanez, or a Gibson. But if you're into the new kinds of Fenders, go for those too.

Anybody besides me drool at the sights of Paul Reed Smith Singlecuts?[/COLOR][/SIZE]