OtakuBoards

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Metalcore501

Recently I watched this with a few friends expecting to get scared, but it didn't scare me and by the end of the film it had opend my eyes and made me really think about Morality and if there was some type of Entity out there. So what did this movie do for you, I have a friend who didn't get anything from the movie so don't feel embarrasedabout your answer.

[COLOR="Indigo"][size=1]Fixed the typo in the thread title for you. -Clurr[/size][/COLOR]

Eh, I personally don't think too much into the movie unless it's so in depth, you have to in order to understand it. I thought it was unique in the case that the movie took place during the case, rather than while all of the events were occurring. However, I didn't really think that it helped keep it interesting. When I began watching the movie, I had expected horror, but it didn't strike any fear into me at all. >_> Maybe it was just me. Overall, it was a pretty well made movie, but I just didn't care for it all too much.

[SIZE="1"]Saw it in Tasmania last year with my cousins, along with [B]Wolf Creek[/b] which was in my opinion a far scarier film than The Exorcism of Emily Rose. In reality, I'd say EoER was actually more of a psychological thriller than a horror film, as there were very few moments that were of a horror nature. Tom Wilkinson's performance was top notch, as was Jennifer Carpenter's. All and all it was better than I expected, but then from horrors I never really expect much.[/SIZE]

[color=#606060]Yeah, I didn't find this movie scary as such...I actually found it to be a better version of The Exorcist in some respects, lol. I suppose The Exorcist was a bit more full on in terms of language and explicit content...but The Exorcism of Emily Rose almost seemed more plausible or more "real" (as real as demonic posession can get, anyway).

I was pleasantly surprised by it though. I had never been very interested in seeing this film but when I did, I was pretty happy with it.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I guess we watched some special feature that talked to the cast and crew. The director and screenplay writer both stated that this was a true story, and did alot of reserch on demonic posession etc. I just wanted to say that because I know some films that say they are true such as the Blair Witch Project.

• 3 months later...
[quote name='Metalcore501']Recently I watched this with a few friends expecting to get scared, but it didn't scare me and by the end of the film it had opend my eyes and made me really think about Morality and if there was some type of Entity out there. So what did this movie do for you, I have a friend who didn't get anything from the movie so don't feel embarrasedabout your answer.

[COLOR="Indigo"][size=1]Fixed the typo in the thread title for you. -Clurr[/size][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]:wow: [B]I LOVED IT!!!! [/B]lol, I just love hearing true stories and religion in a movie. I am a Catholic and always love the tales of Saints. They inspire me and help me in times that I feel most hopeless. The movie moved me, but especially when they showed Rose choosing to stay in her mortal body. I started crying for her. :bawl: Which is a big thing for me seeing how I don't often cry at movies.

I immediately got the special edition DVD and it made me appreciate the movie even more. I laughed at the part where the camera man filming Emily Rose at the possesion part in the barn. They were so freaked out and it's just mind blowing to me that no special effects were used on her. I know some say it's not at all true, but I sincerely believe it to be. It's not just a horror story that some wanted it to be like the Excorist, it's an inspiration tale to those who believe in God and everything he is. Maybe that's why people weren't so moved by it?[/COLOR]

[size=1]
I will probably be the one person who will admit that they were a bit frightened by the movie. I think what stirs/scares me about these sorts of movies is that you cannot control what is spiritual/demonic; something you cannot see and physically withstand. A serial killer/slasher/gore movie doesn't interest me at all because you can stop physical issues. And what's so scary about that?? Whereas in movies like The Exorcism of Emily Rose revolve around the fact that you can't really control demonic spirits; and you can't normally get away from them.

I liked The Exorcism of Emily Rose for this reason. I like scary movies to really creep me out and frighten me. That's how you can tell a really good horror movie from the just-plain-stupid and gross slasher films. The thing that freaked me out the most in the movie was [spoiler]when Emily's boyfriend woke up and saw her all contorted and twisted on the floor looking up at him.[/spoiler]

That was twisted, and gave me the heebie jeebies. I'll tell you I couldn't sleep for a long time, lol.[/size]