OtakuBoards

Signature Size?

Andy

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]I know, I know, we've already partially touched into this topic somewhere on OB before. But, I'm going to bring it up again. Why is the signature size the size that it is? Is it not possible to make it any larger? And does anybody out there agree that signature size should in fact be bigger?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Dbzman26'][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]I know, I know, we've already partially touched into this topic somewhere on OB before. But, I'm going to bring it up again. Why is the signature size the size that it is? Is it not possible to make it any larger? And does anybody out there agree that signature size should in fact be bigger?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]It's cuz of 56k users which we do in fact have a few of. And besides, that's enough space to be artistic. If you want big, annoying *** pics, link em.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]Actually this very subject was brought up not to long ago and like Des mentioned here in this thread: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=777886&postcount=146"]POST[/URL] Having a bigger signature would be a lot more feasible once all the upgrades are done.

And I agree that once all the new changes are in place that the 550x120 would be nice, but too much more would be an eyesore in my opinion. After all I come here to read the posts, not to stare at people's banners. lol [/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="goldenrod"]And I agree that once all the new changes are in place that the 550x120 would be nice, but too much more would be an eyesore in my opinion. After all I come here to read the posts, not to stare at people's banners. lol [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]QFT. Having been a 26.4 Kbps user not too long ago I know there's nothing more annoying that having to wait and extra two minutes while the page loads up dozen different banners. Honestly though, I don't even really see the need for an increase in the banner sizes, but then I've never really had a major interest in them. [/SIZE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Black"]Well Gavin, if you'll read Desbresko's post that SunfallE linked to in her post then you will see that the text is what loads first. So shouldn't a bigger signature size really not be much of a problem to you?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Dbzman26'][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Black"]Well Gavin, if you'll read Desbresko's post that SunfallE linked to in her post then you will see that the text is what loads first. So shouldn't a bigger signature size really not be much of a problem to you?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]It's still an annoyance with larger signatures. I know I've been at the mercy of several large images loading; while they may load late, when they load they cause my position on the page to jump around.[/color]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Dbzman26'][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Black"]Well Gavin, if you'll read Desbresko's post that SunfallE linked to in her post then you will see that the text is what loads first. So shouldn't a bigger signature size really not be much of a problem to you?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]Actually as Nerdsy already pointed out, them loading later often results in the page jumping while you are trying to read it. And this happens even with a faster connection if the server hosting the image is being slow. Unless the person turns the option to see signatures off to keep them from loading for them at all. And why should someone have to disable signatures all together to avoid large images?

Signatures are merely window dressing and not the main purpose of posting. I, like SunfallE, do not come here to stare at people's signatures. I come to read the posts. And even if they load quickly, its annoying to scroll through essentially pages and pages of 'pictures' just to read a few posts. It's one of the things I find annoying about other sites that don't restrict the signature size.

I certainly have no issue with increasing them a little, but too much of an increase beyond the 550x120 would just be a total eyesore in my opinion. And realistically, thats plenty of space to get creative with. For a signature. [/COLOR]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Black"]Well I suppose, but I guess my attempt at trying to get bigger signature size's was worth a try, but obviously [B]futile[/B]. But I guess too big of a signature would become a bit of an eyesore in my opinion.(lmfao, how lame....)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]There's a decent chance we'll be raising the maximum avatar and/or signature image sizes when OB Evolution launches. We won't be doubling the sizes or anything, but a modest increase wouldn't be out of line.

The page jumping around as images load is something nearly everyone has to deal with. Few connections are fast enough to load everything instantly. I've just gotten used to holding the scroll bar in place with the cursor if I'm reading something while images are still loading.

And if you don't care about the images but you still want to see the rest of people's signatures, you can always use the stop button in your browser after the text has been loaded.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]And if you don't care about the images but you still want to see the rest of people's signatures, you can always use the stop button in your browser after the text has been loaded.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]You could also untick the [I]show signatures[/I] box in your options, I imagine that would have much the same effect.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Dbzman26'][SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Black"]Well I suppose, but I guess my attempt at trying to get bigger signature size's was worth a try, but obviously [B]futile[/B]. But I guess too big of a signature would become a bit of an eyesore in my opinion.(lmfao, how lame....)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]Seems like you forgot to include what you actually want to see as far as increasing the size of one's signature goes. [[SIZE="1"]how lame lol[/SIZE]] And I'm assuming you mean the image since I've seen some pretty big signatures due to how the text is arranged.

Seriously though that 550 x 120 sounds like it would be nice. Though I'm assuming that part of what will go into deciding what's allowed will depend on not stretching the layout of OB?

In the end, I wouldn't mind a little more space. :) For an image that is. Oh and Des, even though you mention the stop button. Usually my internet doesn't just automatically load the text first, it seems to be a combination of pictures and text loading at the same time. So hitting that stop button results in part of the text not loading as well.

And all that jumping around makes it hard to see if all the text really has loaded yet. lol Though most of the time since I do have a fast connection, that isn't an issue. :p I just wait a few seconds for the jumping around to end and then start reading.

[color=#db2007]What are the chances of allowing more than one image in signatures? Basically, I'd like the ability to show off a few of my (70x70) Flickr thumbnails and have them link to the photos they represent.

I realise there's potential for abuse (and probably no way to enforce it via software) but if someone penned a rule along the lines of "all images must fit within a 500x100 area," almost everyone would comply. (And the people who wouldn't are the people who don't read the other rules, anyway.)

This has been brought up before, but as long as we're talking about signature sizes again, it's worth a rehash. I have no idea how many people would want to take advantage of the option, or the impact it owuld have on load times.[/color]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Oh and Des, even though you mention the stop button. Usually my internet doesn't just automatically load the text first, it seems to be a combination of pictures and text loading at the same time. So hitting that stop button results in part of the text not loading as well.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, I think the hitting the stop button only works if you're using Firefox, which as far as I remember always loaded up text before it loaded up images. With IE it just loads everything together, actually kinda surprised that Microsoft didn't borrow that little aspect of Firefox, seeing as they included almost everything else.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Seems like you forgot to include what you actually want to see as far as increasing the size of one's signature goes. [[SIZE="1"]how lame lol[/SIZE]] And I'm assuming you mean the image since I've seen some pretty big signatures due to how the text is arranged.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]Nice. Anyway's, yeah, I guess I was shooting for somewhere around the 550 x 120 mark. Although in my opinion, I wouldn't mind if it was bigger than that.;) But of course, then again, I have DSL, and I'm not the one who would have to sit 10 minutes for someone's banner to load up. But I guess 550 x 120 would still be better than nothing. Oh, and Gavin, that just goes to show yet another reason why Firefox pwn's Explorer.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Dbzman26'][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]Oh, and Gavin, that just goes to show yet another reason why Firefox pwn's Explorer.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Maybe, but the main reason I've stuck with Explorer is it allows me to access pages offline which Firefox doesn't, which for RPing is quite handy as you don't accidently overwrite something someone else was doing.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Maybe, but the main reason I've stuck with Explorer is it allows me to access pages offline which Firefox doesn't, which for RPing is quite handy as you don't accidently overwrite something someone else was doing.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]Oh I agree that FireFox is a great browser, however, like you Gavin I use IE for things that FireFox sucks at. lol Some of the sites I like to watch fansubs at do not work well with FireFox. Why? I don't know, I just keep IE around for those sites where it works best.

Anyway... I wouldn't mind seeing bigger signatures. But I would hate to see them increased by too much. Sure they're fun to do and it's great to be creative, but that's not why I'm here. :catgirl: But 550 x 120 would be fun if only to sneak in more of my dog when I go back to my standard Bichon banner when I'm done with Survivor.

Though now that I think about it, since my current links to her in my sig are just links, I don't know why I stuck with the 500 x 100 format. Habit I guess. lol
[/COLOR]

[color=#606060]On bigger images: Yes, I do think we can increase the banner size limits before we launch a new version of the site. They will go up but not to the extent that they cause any issues with the site template/layout. Is everyone in agreement that 550 x 120 for banenrs would be a fair increase? ^_^

On bigger avatars: This is unlikely for now. But it's something I'm looking at for the new site.

On multiple signature images: This is something I would like to do but it depends how we can handle it in software. If we can allow this (but maintain some sort of overall size limitation) then it's something I'd like to do. I will investigate and we'll see what we can come up with.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]I've tested this in both Firefox and IE6, and for me it always loads the HTML (which includes post text) first, then it loads images embedded in the posts and the site's layout graphics at about the same time, then it loads banners embedded in signatures, and finally avatars. There's some overlap and things don't go perfectly in order, but that's the general order things load in for me.

Speaking of IE, to help reduce the amount that pages jump around when loading images, go to Tools > Internet Options, select the Advanced tab, and scroll down to the Multimedia options. Make sure the "Show image download placeholders" box is checked, as this will allocate space on the page for images before they download and keep the page from constantly lengthening as new images are loaded.

And in Firefox, if you want to access pages while offline, you can. Go to File > Save Page As, select "Web Page, complete" from the save type drop-down menu, and then save the page wherever you want on your hard drive. Then you can go open that page and view it any time you want. That's all IE does when it lets you view pages while offline, it's just more automated.

Firefox is capable of pretty much everything IE is, short of ActiveX stuff (which is a good thing, as that's how you get a lot of viruses and spyware through IE), you just have to know how to do things in Firefox.

But I digress; this isn't a thread about how to use your browsers. . . .

I'm fine with a 550x120 limit for banners (I first suggested it after all :p), but I need to discuss something regarding the board software limiting image size and whatnot, James. I'll PM you with the details.[/color]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I'm fine with a 550x120 limit for banners (I first suggested it after all :p), but I need to discuss something regarding the board software limiting image size and whatnot, James. I'll PM you with the details.[/color][/QUOTE]So... is that new 550 x 120 acceptable yet? :catgirl: I know I'm eager to give it a try. I've had plenty of banners I've worked on where just a tiny bit more space would have been fun.

So I guess I'm curious if you and James have come to a decision yet. [/COLOR]

[color=#606060]I haven't done anything in the Admin CP about this - I haven't had time. But yes, as far as I'm concerned, these new dimensions are fine.

I think I still have to give Desbreko some software info though, but when the dimensions change I'll make an announcement. ^_^[/color]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]Woot, new signature size's.^^[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]
[B]Edit[/B]: How rude of me, I forgot to say thank you. So....thank you.:catgirl:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Dbzman26'][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]Woot, new signature size's.^^[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]Heh, I agree. It is nice. That extra bit of height does make it easier to have what you want in there. So thanks for the increase James and Des as well as everyone else who was in favor of the change. :catgirl:

[color=#606060]I'm now using the maximum-sized banner possible so you can really see how much difference the new height and width makes.

Thanks again to Des for setting everything up. This is a good example of how reasonable suggestions can make it through on OB.[/color]