OtakuBoards

What Grinds Your Gears? V2.0

Aberinkula

[font="trebuchet ms"]
1) SATs. They suck, they really do.
2) People who use 'gay' or 'retarded' as derogatory terms, because they can't choose from fifty other put-down words.
3) 'Elite' people, or internet people who think they're the **** because they've 'intellectual' and know perfect grammar.[/font]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I forgot and yes I'm looking at you Prem and you DB. :p But another thing that grinds my gears... people who have to try and defend things that bother others or try to explain it. Seriously you two. It's not like its personal or requires an explanation. lol [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I knew this was coming. I was waiting for it. I don't care. I think your dislike for people telling you not to dislike things stems from emotional trauma brought about during your childhood XD

On a more serious note, this is the only thread active on OB right now and I'm bored out of my damn mind. Since the internet exists for the sole purpose of discussion, I'm discussing. After all, these threads are boring as all hell without it. I mean seriously, who cares that much about what random people are bugged by? Threads without points where people just scroll through till they find someone they care enough to read about grind my gears.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Green"][quote name='Jeremiah'][size=1][color=indigo] Oh, and not placing my foot down on the clutch before a gear change grinds my gears too. ;p[/size][/color][/QUOTE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Haha me too!

Now to the gripe list....

I hate people who speak in acronyms.

[I]"Like OMG, I can't believe that MF said to her. TWSUnC"[/I]

What did you just say? Are you a living, breathing chatroom? Why do I need an internet translator to tell me what you just said?

I dislike new members to forums besides this one, because they don't use any form of punctuation at all in their sentences and the phrases "and um yeah" and "sooo, like yeah" and I have to play the nice guy and say "Hey, let's use periods at least please. I can understand not capitaliziing, that's no big deal. But c'mon people, let's use some sort of punctuation to make it readable and I don't have to read your post out loud to discern it. I realize we have all been green before, but even I have the decency to put some fricking puncualization in my posts.

I hate people who have double standards. If you are gonna act way to one person, be that way with all people. Best example, my boss. She has favoritism with some of our workers. I know this happens everywhere, but if you are gonna get onto me for doing the same thing that Worker X is doing, at least make it consistant. Punish him/her too. That way I don't take it personally.

I get peeved at people who are just plain ignorant to others situations. Whether it stems from race, culture, religion or anything else. If people could learn to look beyond themselves and see where the other party is coming from, then problems can be solved.

I don't like people who "Sidecar Game", the people who watch you play a game and then say that they beat it with you. No you did not, you ignorant *** you just watched me. I did all the button mashing, thinking and respawning....so go get your own copy and beat it your damn self. I get that a lot in FPS and RPG's, because in fighters I don't let people Sidecar, they play against me.

And that is what grinds my gears.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy']
Also, Prem, if you're wearing black, you have to expct people to make assumptions about you. Just like if I see a girl dresed like a trampy ho, I assume she's a trampy ho, if I see a guy wearing black, I assume he's a goth, and if he's got make up on, he probably likes Rocky Horror and claims to be bisexual. And if I see a girl with a naruto t-shirt, I assume they are goofy and slightly annoying.
[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]My brother wears black. He's a thug. He is not a goth - he [i]attacks[/i] people who're 'goth'. You can assume a lot about people, but not for the colour of clothing they wear, or even the type. Is it to say that one day, having lost my coat I wore my brother's nike hoodie, and I'm now a thug?

Heck, it isn't wrong to make assumptions at all, I just think it's dim to make assumptions about something as little as the clothing someone wears or its colour. Most people do nothing but judge and whatnot, but the real problem nowadays is the lack of seeing past appearances. But it's never going to change, so I don't care and I don't know why I'm arguing.

But not to get off track, I found a few other things that annoy me.

Converse. They fall a part. They're boring now. They're not even waterproof.

And this girl who keeps text me like I'm her best friend. People who think they're your best mate, when they only knew me yesterday, really grind my gears. No, I do not want to come to your house today, stfu and go away ¬_¬[/SIZE]

[quote name='Korey']I don't like people who "Sidecar Game", the people who watch you play a game and then say that they beat it with you. No you did not, you ignorant *** you just watched me. I did all the button mashing, thinking and respawning....so go get your own copy and beat it your damn self. I get that a lot in FPS and RPG's, because in fighters I don't let people Sidecar, they play against me. [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]XD that is me all over. I say that about my brother and cousin when I watch them play, usually because I am a total leech, though most of the time it's because I was the one reading the strategy guide while they played. Honestly, I think that deserves some of the credit. Besides, group mentality FTW.[/COLOR]

[quote=Vicky]My brother wears black. He's a thug. He is not a goth - he attacks people who're 'goth'. You can assume a lot about people, but not for the colour of clothing they wear, or even the type. Is it to say that one day, having lost my coat I wore my brother's nike hoodie, and I'm now a thug?

Heck, it isn't wrong to make assumptions at all, I just think it's dim to make assumptions about something as little as the clothing someone wears or its colour. Most people do nothing but judge and whatnot, but the real problem nowadays is the lack of seeing past appearances. But it's never going to change, so I don't care and I don't know why I'm arguing. [/quote]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Honestly, if you're passing someone in the mall or in school, do you even need to know that the person is more than they seem? Is it hurting anyone that you assume they're a goth? Now, if you're going to bash on them for it then that's one thing, but just judging them on their appearance - who cares? [/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I knew this was coming. I was waiting for it. I don't care. I think your dislike for people telling you not to dislike things stems from emotional trauma brought about during your childhood XD

On a more serious note, this is the only thread active on OB right now and I'm bored out of my damn mind. Since the internet exists for the sole purpose of discussion, I'm discussing. After all, these threads are boring as all hell without it. I mean seriously, who cares that much about what random people are bugged by? Threads without points where people just scroll through till they find someone they care enough to read about grind my gears.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Sometimes I wonder about you. lol If you weren't bored out of your mind I'd think you're losing it. ;)

And speaking of being bored or having things that bother you, ironically in the end, most of the things I've listed or read don't bother me all that much. It's really more of a once or twice a week I find it irritating and the rest of the time I never even think about it. Heh.

Besides... *poke* Go and post in Esper Jam if you're bored. I've been following along and considering your muse, reading what you posted would be entertaining. XP

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']
Besides... *poke* Go and post in Esper Jam if you're bored. I've been following along and considering your muse, reading what you posted would be entertaining. XP[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]You guys love poking each other a lot now a days. You could break your finger you know. I hate it when my fingers get sore, I can't do things that involve fingers a lot when they hurt. I r a wine arse.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy']

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Honestly, if you're passing someone in the mall or in school, do you even need to know that the person is more than they seem? Is it hurting anyone that you assume they're a goth? Now, if you're going to bash on them for it then that's one thing, but just judging them on their appearance - who cares? [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]A lot of people care - I know a lot of people who are scared of going out... or were for some time... because of what people assumed about them, and the way people look at them (you will get evils for being goth in Manchester).

I didn't say assumptions were wrong, I said [i]assuming[/i] too much on too little is the problem. Assumptions lead to a lot more than thinking.

But like I also said I don't want to pull the thread off track, so that's the last comment. And when I do pass people in the mall or school, I assume they're a human being like me, who deserves the respect of being ignored unless they want my attention. I don't think about them, make it my point not to, really.[/SIZE]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]XD that is me all over. I say that about my brother and cousin when I watch them play, usually because I am a total leech, though most of the time it's because I was the one reading the strategy guide while they played. Honestly, I think that deserves some of the credit. Besides, group mentality FTW.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

No way....that's just lame. You aren't playing the game at all. You are just reading the Strategy Guide and spewing the info. You aren't the one who has to perform such duties and make the reactions, so you were almost no help in the experience. I can understand if you're playing multiplayer Co-op or something....but reading me the strategy guide doesn't help. I could do that myself.

[quote name='Korey']No way....that's just lame. You aren't playing the game at all. You are just reading the Strategy Guide and spewing the info. You aren't the one who has to perform such duties and make the reactions, so you were almost no help in the experience. I can understand if you're playing multiplayer Co-op or something....but reading me the strategy guide doesn't help. I could do that myself.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Not if you're my dumb-*** brother and you spent 20 minutes groveling and getting me drinks so that I could take the time I could've spent watching [B]Hidamari Sketch [/B]to come read you a damn strategy guide. I better get some credit for that :animeangr

Another thing that grinds my gears - strategy guides that expect you to follow them from the very beginning all the way through. Cut the damn umbilical, I just came for one quest![/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Not if you're my dumb-*** brother and you spent 20 minutes groveling and getting me drinks so that I could take the time I could've spent watching [B]Hidamari Sketch [/B]to come read you a damn strategy guide. I better get some credit for that :animeangr

Another thing that grinds my gears - strategy guides that expect you to follow them from the very beginning all the way through. Cut the damn umbilical, I just came for one quest![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

To my credit, I have never used a strategy to help me beat a game. I am pretty perceptive about games, even RPGs. I think that relying on strategy guides is stupid and only for those who are too lazy to think for themselves. I hate those gamers. I also dislike those who ask me to help them beat a part of a game for them. Figure it out you dumbass, like I had to. There are exceptions, though. I will tell you how I did something simple like actviate Star Power or throw a Hadoken....that's simple. But don't ask me to beat Ruby Weapon or the Mother Brain for you.

[quote name='Korey']To my credit, I have never used a strategy to help me beat a game. I am pretty perceptive about games, even RPGs. I think that relying on strategy guides is stupid and only for those who are too lazy to think for themselves. I hate those gamers. I also dislike those who ask me to help them beat a part of a game for them. Figure it out you dumbass, like I had to. There are exceptions, though. I will tell you how I did something simple like actviate Star Power or throw a Hadoken....that's simple. But don't ask me to beat Ruby Weapon or the Mother Brain for you.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I dunno about that... I mean, I've always been one who feels guilty about using a guide, but when i'm running around Sector 4 for [i]3 freaking hours[/i] with no idea what to do, only to find out that I had to duck next to this one single particular wall that had no sign of significance and use a Morph Ball Bomb, you can bet I'll be glad that the strategy guide was there to keep me from breaking my SP on half.

[SIZE="1"](BTW, I'm talking about [B]Metroid Fusion[/B])[/SIZE]

Another thing that grinds my gears - games that give you no sense of direction. Scouring a level until I find the one stupid passage way i needed to blow up and having to fight the same enemies 50 times is not fun! (which is odd, because I love the Metroid series >_>)[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I dunno about that... I mean, I've always been one who feels guilty about using a guide, but when i'm running around Sector 4 for [i]3 freaking hours[/i] with no idea what to do, only to find out that I had to duck next to this one single particular wall that had no sign of significance and use a Morph Ball Bomb, you can bet I'll be glad that the strategy guide was there to keep me from breaking my SP on half.

[SIZE="1"](BTW, I'm talking about [B]Metroid Fusion[/B])[/SIZE]

Another thing that grinds my gears - games that give you no sense of direction. Scouring a level until I find the one stupid passage way i needed to blow up and having to fight the same enemies 50 times is not fun! (which is odd, because I love the Metroid series >_>)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"]psst...i know what you're talking about...no need to explain ^_~[/FONT][/SIZE]

I think that relying on a strategy guide is alright, but I always make sure I explore every possible angle that I know before I move on to the guide.

Metroid games tend to do that. The focus is on exploration and figuring things out...so I guess that would be your fault for not exploring enough. I think that the Metroid series does good to make sure it doesn't hold your hand and forces you to think for yourself. Then again, not knowing where to go and then having to fight enemies for the umpteenth time is highly annoying, but I would rather do that before resorting to a guide.

[quote name='Korey']I think that relying on a strategy guide is alright, but I always make sure I explore every possible angle that I know before I move on to the guide. [/QUOTE]Heh, I like both. Beating the game without the guide and then going back and using the guide to help me get all the stuff I missed. :animesmil I definately like beating it on my own first. Unless I get so stuck I can't go on. Then I'll use it just enough to get myself unstuck.

And if that were to be something that grinds my gears... It's paying for a guide only to find out that it's total garbage. Some of them out there leave much to be desired. It's pretty sad when you could have written a better one than the company did. Though most of the few I've gotten were pretty good. However they make those horrible ones really stand out. lol

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Heh, I like both. Beating the game without the guide and then going back and using the guide to help me get all the stuff I missed. :animesmil I definately like beating it on my own first. Unless I get so stuck I can't go on. Then I'll use it just enough to get myself unstuck.

And if that were to be something that grinds my gears... It's paying for a guide only to find out that it's total garbage. Some of them out there leave much to be desired. It's pretty sad when you could have written a better one than the company did. Though most of the few I've gotten were pretty good. However they make those horrible ones really stand out. lol[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]That's why we've got [B]GameFAQs[/B], lol. Seriously, it's a crime to go out and pay for a strategy guide if you have internet XD. That's another thing that grinds my gears - strategy guides published for action gmaes. I can see how someone might need a guide to get everything in [B]Final Fantasy XII [/B]or something, but if you really need help running a blue hegehog through straightforward romps or guiding [B]Dante [/B]along a journey that basically points you in each direction, maybe you ought not to play said game >_>

On that note, the only times I ever get strategy guides is when my parents buy me games. They always buy the strategy guide as well, just cuz they think it's necessary or something ^^;; it's pretty cool in some cases, though, like how I got the special edition guide for FF12.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]For me, personally, it's a desperation act. I am embodied in my hobbies - my favorite music, manga, anime, video games - they define who I am. I am desperate for others to see these things as I do, as well I feel that if someone dislikes these things, they dislike me, and I don't take well to being disliked >_>
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[color=gray]>_> And debating with them is going to get them to change their views?

[size=1]v from old thread v[/size]

[b]Animal cruelty[/b] - Or any kind of animal mistreatment. I hate seeing it. I hate talking about it. (I know, I know...) I don't watch anything with it in it. I don't play games with it. I grew up always loving animals, and to see people out there just treating their pets like dirt is something that'll have me pissed at anyone around me. Put it this way, I care about pets moreso than people.

[b]People who talk through movies[/b] - Especially the movies (or shows) where you're trying to catch the story. The moment when things start to pick up, or there's some type of deep conversation going on where you need to listen to every detail, someone just have to open their mouth. You tell them once, that you're watching this and they say "ok, my bad". 10 minutes later, they come back talking, so this time you tell them to shut up, and then they want to get an attitude with you.[/color]

[quote name='Tombstone'][color=gray]>_> And debating with them is going to get them to change their views?[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]It serves other purposes. I learn from them - i often find interesting things in hearing the opinions of others, and I've been told by some that they find my opinions interesting as well. That's what forums were created for >_>

Anyway, another one is when you buy soda and someone drinks it before it gets cold. That bit you wasted could've been enjoyed as a nice, cold beverage, but you had to go and be impatient and drink the warm, crappy stuff and you won't even quench your thirst. It'll just make you thirstier. Bastard.

I guess this doesn't apply to peeople who use ice. Then again, those people probably watch(ed) [B]Nickolodeon[/B].[/COLOR]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]Every where I go, I can't escape them. There are always little kids wearing those dumb shoes, and they don't have the willpower to just WALK in them. I really don't know why I hate them so much, but every time I see someone skating with them, I get so angry.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]At my work there were some kids rolling around in them as their parents finished eating. I hated them and I told my coworker I hoped he fell down kind of jokingly. A few minutes later he did this epic face plant into the floor and didn't really get up that quickly. His parents ended up carrying him out of the store and he looked really dazed, I hope he was okay lol.

But man that fall was epic, you could have slow mo'ed it and put music to it. Epic.[/color]

[quote name='Tombstone'][color=gray]
[b]People who talk through movies[/b] - Especially the movies (or shows) where you're trying to catch the story. The moment when things start to pick up, or there's some type of deep conversation going on where you need to listen to every detail, someone just have to open their mouth. You tell them once, that you're watching this and they say "ok, my bad". 10 minutes later, they come back talking, so this time you tell them to shut up, and then they want to get an attitude with you.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]I saw the Excorsism of Emily Rose with two of my friends and one of them ruined almost every part. "And he dies, this part is creepy.' He wouldn't shut his trap, even after he said "I won't do it again." Wanted to take the DVD and break it.[/COLOR]