OtakuBoards

The Abyss: A Question

Darren

As a lot of you know, (and those who don't, well you know now) I have been planning on staring a new death card game ever since the end of The Maze, but was forced to wait after DB created The Panopticon. (Which turned out better for me anyway)
Anyway, I've been tempted for the longest time to just post the sign-up and get the game started, but I alwasy wanted to keep my promise to the past death card players and wait it out for "a break" from all the violence.
I've even been so tempted, that I've already written out my introduction to the story, which I've sent out, as a sneak peek, to a few select members of OB, and they all seemed excited at the story, and intrigued at the mysteries.
Anyway, my original plan was to post the sign-ups on August 10 (This Friday) and leave them open for a week while I was away in California... Then I was going to close them on the 19 (the Sunday after) and hopefully get it started somewhere between the 20 and 24...
But here's the question to all the past members of Death Card: Is it too soon? For those of you who sat out from the Panopticon, would you be interested in playing once again. And of course to everyone else who hasn't had the opportunity to play, would you be interested.
I ask this because I hope that even if the seasoned players aren't ready, that I'll have enough support to start with new people.

If you are new and wondering what Death Card is, here are the links:

- [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55804"][U]The Labyrinth[/U][/URL] by: Sandy
- [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=56925"][U]The Maze[/U][/URL] by: Rachmaninoff
- [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57091"][U]The Panopticon[/U][/URL] by: 2007DigitalBoy

Let me know what you think, so I can properly gauge a starting time that suits everyone.

[FONT=Arial]As far as timing goes, the next few weeks are probably going to be a bit hectic for most people, what with the start of school and all. I think that if you start opening sign-ups now, you might run into the same problem that [COLOR="DarkRed"]Ozymandius[/COLOR] encountered with Beatlemania Redux, set up shortly before the end of last term. It was not a bad concept, and probably would have flown, but it just got forgotten and buried.

Now, I don't see that being as big of an issue [I]here[/I], what with the current popularity of the Death Card series, but it's still something you might want to keep in mind.

If it were me, I'd wait until September, when all the insanity will have leveled out. But that's me.[/FONT]

as eager as i am to get this one started I have to agree with alamorph on this one, with school starting really soon then maybe you should wait at least to near the end of august to start this thing off, unless you want to post sign ups and leave them up for like three weeks or something. but probably not a good idea.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]In addition to what the others already said I'd wait until about a week into September to put the thread up for sign ups. Say around Friday the seventh or Saturday the eighth. That way everyone will not only be in school, but will have been so long enough to have an idea what their schedule is going to be like. Otherwise you could end up with people signing up only to realize that they really won't have the time for it. [/FONT][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR="Indigo"]Perhaps you could update us with your plans in regards to this since it is now the 10th and pretty much everyone is back in school. I'm sure by now people know what their schedule is like so they'd know if they had time to be a part of the next death card rpg or not.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Has Darren even been on since the creation of this thread? I figured he was dead, lol. Anyway, I thik this is a dangerous time for any RP with so many huge rps going on right now. I distincly remember SunfallE literally saying that 'even if Darren posted the Abyss tright now, I probably wouldn't be able to participate.'[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Has Darren even been on since the creation of this thread? I figured he was dead, lol. Anyway, I thik this is a dangerous time for any RP with so many huge rps going on right now. I distincly remember SunfallE literally saying that 'even if Darren posted the Abyss tright now, I probably wouldn't be able to participate.'[/COLOR][/QUOTE]He may not have posted but he was online just yesterday. Also, the timing is actually probably fairly good, why? Because several major RPG's have wrapped up or are going to be wrapping up fairly soon. SunfallE's reservations come from planning out the next Silver One, something I am currently helping her with. But beyond that OtakuBoards Survivor 4 is coming to a close, FQFG though not finished is pretty slow as well as Esper Jam. And even Project Starship, though fun, is on the slow side. So even though there is a lot going on, it has quieted down a little.

Anyway, I'm not looking for an immediate answer as to it going up, but rather I'm trying to find out if it's been abandoned altogether since we have not heard from Darren in a while. So I'm mainly curious to see if he no longer plans on doing one.[/COLOR]

I apologize!

I am still here, and no DB, I am not dead... Rather the threads are dead with things that I ususally post in.

I still plan on hosting the Abyss. In fact, Hells and I were just discussing it earlier today. (Don't worry, I didn't give anything away) And I see now that since I have more comments in this thread, there's definately a bigger interest, yes?

But still, I hadn't expected my senior year to be as hectic, with more work time and less computer time, I am really wrapped up. I [I]could[/I] budget homework, work, "This is Earth," [I]and[/I] "The Abyss," but it would be a really tight squeeze and I wouldn't want to do it unless the damand for the RP was high.

So just a recap, could everyone that is interested, [B]please post here[/B]. Even 5 replies is motivation enough for me.

My only stipulation is that SunfallE, Indifference, and BKStyles play... It's part of my story and while I suppose it [I]could[/I] work without them, I really wouldn't want it to because it would ruin my plans. I'll probably send a PM to all three of you sometime soon if you don't send one to me first. ;)

Other than that: Please express your interests or any other questions here.

I'm actually interested hosting a [B]Death Card[/B]-game myself, since I didn't actually get to finish the first one. My mind has been contemplating on several different ways to alter or improve the game, to give a proper background story and setting to it.

I'm not sure, Darren, since you say you're so busy, that you should force yourself to create a game that takes quite much effort from the maker. You don't want to end up in a situation where you find yourself unable to continue, and have to face the wrath of the disappointed players, do you?

So if you want, you can postpone Abyss and allow me make the next installment to the series. It wouldn't follow the storyline of the previous games, though, so you can keep whatever story you have planned out.

What say you?

[FONT="Tahoma"]Whomever the next host may be, i don't mind throwing my participation into the mix as long as it's now right away. Week or two maybe, though considering sign ups and what not will take a good amount of time along with the process of putting things together will help out...so whenever it goes up it should be in good time for me.

I'd be more than happy to play along with whatever it is you have up your sleeve Darren, heh.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]*Would have to join if Matt did just so I could kill off his characters.* >_>

Still, if you're really that busy Darren, simply hold off and let Sandy do his first. You wouldn't want angry players hunting you down if you got to busy to keep things running smoothly would you? ^_~[/FONT][/COLOR]

I'm sorry, Darren, I couldn't help myself. I suddenly got inspired, so I'm about to launch [B]The Ragnarok[/B], the fourth installment to the series right about now.

This doesn't mean you can't post the Abyss as well, but if you're really as busy as you say, I think you should postpone it.

And who knows, my game may not succeed at all, as I've changed the concept quite drastically. XP If that happens, the field is all yours.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, Darren, I'm not trying to steal your spotlight. It's just that I, too, have been contemplating on a new Death Card-game ever since Panopticon. And since I got inspired now, I see no reason to delay it.

So yeah, I'm posting The Ragnarok now. Check it out at the Adventure Inn.

*Sigh*

Fine, I'll wait... again! It's as you say, I'm busy. (But I didn't want to give the wrong idea that I wouldn't be able to manage the time. I guess I failed)
And there never would have been the worry of not finishing the game, you see, because I had developed a totally new system for the game itself. After watching DB and The Panopticon, and seeing how many problems he faced with it, I adapted. (See? It was good to wait, maybe I'll pick up a few things from Sandy's as well)

Now, my only worry is that [I]SunfallE, BKStyles, and Indifference[/I] will be too burnt out on Death-Card that they won't want to play mine afterwards... I already know that Beth said she wanted to creat one as well and I know Matt was throwing ideas around...

*Sigh again*

I suppose though, Sandy, if you just [I]aboslutely[/I] have to crush my dreams, (And I speak literally. After I posted that comment yesterday, I really did dream of The Abyss) then by all means go ahead, you eager little badger...

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Don't take it so hard. ^_~ After all I did get the impression that you really didn't have time from your post. Also, I'm too caught up in doing my sequel to Silver One to even think of doing another death card series for a while.

As for being burned out, seeing that what Sandy has put up is so very different than the previous three, I highly doubt I'll be burned out since your Abyss one if I remember correctly was going on the basis that people were trapped deep below water. So already that's not the same at all. Now go and read what Sandy put up! *poke* [/FONT][/COLOR]

I did, and it's quite funny that Sandy stole (well, he didn't know he stole it) one of my ideas. I won't tell you which one, so you can be surprised when I make The Abyss, and his approach to the idea was much more involved than mine, so more power to you Sandy!

It's a great idea.

You're truly being good sports, Darren, because someone else might've ripped my head off for cutting in the line... So I apologize again if I offended you with this, but I also hope you join The Ragnarok as well.

Let's say that you have a guaranteed spot in it if you decide to join, just to make up for this. ;D

Thanks again Sandy. I appreciate it, and I will definately take you up on the offer, if you don't mind waiting until tomorrow. I just got off work at 11:00pm and I have a ton of homework!!! I just got on for a quick update. But I suppose that if I would be having days like these with all-night homework assignments and such, it probably is best that I hold off on The Abyss. However, I hope you won't mind if I'm this scatter-brained in the RPG itself. 'Cuz you know, last time, Rachmaninoff just deleted me. :p

So yes, I'll definately join.

P.S. Oh, Sandy, not that I would have cut your head off or anything, but at first I was tempted to steal Rach's voodoo doll...

[quote name='Darren']However, I hope you won't mind if I'm this scatter-brained in the RPG itself. 'Cuz you know, last time, Rachmaninoff just deleted me. :p

So yes, I'll definately join.

P.S. Oh, Sandy, not that I would have cut your head off or anything, but at first I was tempted to steal Rach's voodoo doll...[/QUOTE]Pfft! You snooze.. You lose... :p [spoiler]And yes I know school does that to a person, after all I teach classes as well as take them. [/spoiler] Seriously though if you want to do the voodoo doll thing in your signature. You should take this approach that Allamorph suggested to me. Hehe.
[quote name='Rachmaninoff][center][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/Labyrinth/labyrinth-deathcard.png[/IMG'][/center][/quote]
[center][FONT=Arial][Size=1]Poor Sandy[/Size][/FONT][/center]

You'd have to make the picture a little smaller though since it's a tiny bit too tall. ;)

[FONT=Arial][I]*thinks this should really be the Abyss/Ragnarok UG*[/I]

I'd love to jump in with you guys, [COLOR="DarkRed"]Sandy[/COLOR], but I'd rather have done it outside the school year. The style you came up with (which I love, by the way) mandates even more involvement than The P did, and I barely made the minimum in that one.

I blame brass class and Joe Alessi, and a little bit of Life in general. If I could just spend eight hours a day writing, I'd be so happy. But no.[/FONT]