OtakuBoards

Top Guitarists

Warmside

[quote name='Box Hoy']I'm more of a metal-punk head so my opinion here is limited.

Acey Slade who played in bands like Dope, Murderdolls, and Trashlight Vision. He's amazing. Especially the stuff he in TLV which was influenced by Guns N' Roses, Iggy Pop, and The Stooges.

Another great guitarist is Michael Ammot of Arch Enemy. Micheal played in the band Carcass in his early days and was one of the inovators of grindcore before crust and grind intermingled much. His stuff can be either as hardcore or melodic as he wants.

There's also the brothers, Anders Björler and Jonas Björler, who played for At The Gates and now play in The Haunted. I think the stuff they pulled out in At The Gates was some of the most fendemental music to come out of the gothenberg death metal movement.

Lastly, there's Kerry King because he's the god of thrash metal and Slayer rulez.[/QUOTE]

Possibly the most consistently underwhelming list of guitarists so far... :animesigh

[quote name='Billy Shears'][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Why do people think that the guys in Slayer can solo? What do they do? Its all unnecessary dive-bombs and squealing bullcrap. Its just really fast tremolo picking that is completely atonal and has no pitch. I respect Slayer and think they have some good songs, but their solos are garbage. Go listen to the solo in "Angel of Death" and tell me if it sounds like something other than a chainsaw and a running faucet. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]Haha, the Angel Of Death solo is supposed to be one of their better ones, and it still sounds like poo. Kerry King really abuses the tremolo bar in a lot of his solos.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Matt Bellamy of Muse is really inspiring. There's no shred, but his playing has such a distinct sound because he's a very hybrid player as he fuses many genres of music together, such as metal, indie, dance etc. Plus he's a master of wierd effects, and they sound great within his songs.[/color]

Just to be an *******...

6.[B]Ryan Martinie[/B]-Yea I know he's a bassist...but he might as well be the damn lead guitarist. I mean he is basically the best musician in Mudvayne and you can actually hear him just as much if not more than the guitar. Plus his solos are better. Also he makes the actual guitar not sound bland...so there.

[quote name='Avenged666fold'] I mean he is basically the best musician in Mudvayne[/quote]
[font=arial][size=1]That really says a lot. I lol'd.

I'd like to second Billy Shears on the godly guitar duo in Maps & Atlases. There's a video on YouTube of the guitarist who also does the vocals playing one of the songs by himself and it seems like he could carry an entire band all on his own. Their songs have to be damn near impossible to write, and I know for a fact that I can't even come close to duplicating their tapping style at all. You know a musician is good when you can hardly fathom how their music is possible. It's not like they're death metal or anything, it's actually a very peaceful band, and I suggest that everyone who reads this checks them out.[/font][/size]

To me, the top guitarists would be...

- Kirk Hammett: I love Metallica during my early teen years and I simply got attracted to Kirk's swift powerful yet dramatic solos in most Metallica songs. Probably the best is in Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets albums. And he's definitely cool. Tracks like 'Enter Sandman', 'Nothing Else Matters', 'Seek and Destroy', 'Master of Puppets'.

- Matt Bellamy: I read a lot of views on this guy until an argument brought up whether he deserves to be one of the top guitarists in the rock history. Some say he shouldn't cuz his guitar-playing techniques are not so fascinating, just the usual. I think he should be one of the top guitarists because he is very into technology--- one of his electric guitars is heavily customised which definitely have envied many guitarists. The sound and tone of the electric guitar he configures are so powerful, fiercesome and shrillingly amazing, thus bringing up sort of theathrical mood in songs. Once he play off them riffs on his guitar, hell, that's amazing. Also, he is so passionate at playing flamenco songs on guitar. Tracks like 'Plug In Baby', 'Unintended', 'Hysteria', 'Micro Cuts'.

-Angus Young: If I left this guy out, I know myself I am insane. His energetic performance simply blows my mind off. And he's the only guy who is still charming wearing his school uniform-like apparel. Nuff said, really cuz we all know he's the best. Tracks like 'Thunderstruck', 'Night Prowler', 'Highway to Hell', 'Let There Be Rock'.

-Robby Krieger: Hehey, I bet this one will make you lot wonder. I know that, probably, in general he's not that a great guitarist but to me, he is. Fusing indian tunes (he plays sitar) and rock blues and jazz, which had definitely shaped the Doors' music style with direct effect. Also, he was the 'secret weapon' of the band, according to Jim Morrison. Without Robby, heck, there won't be the Doors and forever more their demos would be rejected by record companies. Tracks like 'Light My Fire', 'When The Music's Over', 'The End'.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Yes it did. Now I'm going to join the club and, instead of naming interesting musicians, I'm going to go jizz all over these Mars Volta albums.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]You need to find something else to masturbate to.

Matt Bellamy is a little overrated. Sure, I like [B]Muse[/B], but all of it seems to be gravitated towards Matt and his supposed "OMG!11! AwSumZZ!!@!~" style. He is good, but not [I]that[/I] good.

Its good to see Robbie Krieger, seeing as he is underrated. Try to play the riff from "Love Me Two Times" or the opening flamenco bit on "Spanish Caravan". Its hard.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']BUT TEH MARZ VOLTAS IS THE BEST GUITARSISTS EVAR!!1!!1!one11!!!1 ZOMGS ALL OTHER SUGGESTIIOLNS ARE WORTHLESS LOLZ!!!!!111!11!!!one1![/QUOTE][size=1]Not [i]all[/i]. Mainly the ones that you seem to name. The ones that play music that's a violation to your ears and that doesn't have any feeling in it whatsoever. :whoops:[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]Not [i]all[/i]. Mainly the ones that you seem to name. The ones that play music that's a violation to your ears and that doesn't have any feeling in it whatsoever. :whoops:[/size][/QUOTE]

Man, you're so good at listening to music. I hope one day I can be as perceptive as you.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']BUT TEH MARZ VOLTAS IS THE BEST GUITARSISTS EVAR!!1!!1!one11!!!1 ZOMGS ALL OTHER SUGGESTIIOLNS ARE WORTHLESS LOLZ!!!!!111!11!!!one1![/QUOTE]
Worthless music is teh ****. Like Slipknot. I instantly lose credibility for liking them everywhere I go. Do they still sound better than everyone the person who discredited me likes? Hell yes!

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Worthless music is teh ****. Like Slipknot. I instantly lose credibility for liking them everywhere I go. Do they still sound better than everyone the person who discredited me likes? Hell yes![/QUOTE]

Are you forgetting that Slipknot is in fact the opposite of music?

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Are you forgetting that Slipknot is in fact the opposite of music?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Music is an art form consisting of sound and silence expressed through time. Elements of sound as used in music are pitch (including melody and harmony), rhythm (including tempo and meter), and sonic qualities of timbre, articulation, dynamics, and texture.

The creation, performance, significance and even the definition of music, varies according to culture and social context.[/QUOTE]

Not according to wikipedia. Slipknot would have to make albums with no sound at all to be the opposite.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Not according to wikipedia. Slipknot would have to make albums with no sound at all to be the opposite.[/QUOTE]

"pitch (including [COLOR="Red"]melody[/COLOR] and [COLOR="Red"]harmony[/COLOR]), rhythm (including tempo and meter), and sonic qualities of timbre, [COLOR="Red"]articulation[/COLOR], [COLOR="Red"]dynamics[/COLOR], and [COLOR="Red"]texture[/COLOR]."

Anything highlighted in red are elements that Slipknot lacks.

Oh, and correction: no sound at all would be [I]better[/I] music than Slipknot.