OtakuBoards

Top Guitarists

Warmside

[COLOR="SlateGray"]Topic title says it best. In your books, which guitar players reign supreme?

5 - [b]Tom Scholz[/b] of Boston: Ok, so Boston was around for two albums and ten cents in change, but Tom Scholz was an amazing guitarist. He got the most of the electric guitar with his sound engineering brilliance, but it was his skill that made Boston's few albums amongst the sweetest ever. Signature Songs: "More Than a Feeling" and "Foreplay + Long Time"

4 - [b]Bela Fleck[/b] of the Flecktones: Ok, I'm gonna bend the rules here. Bela Fleck plays the banjo, but that's near enough to a guitar for my purposes. This guy's improvisational skills are out of this world. He and his band (Which also includes one-man brass section Jeff Coffin and bass god Vic Wooten, but that's another thread) are pretty ho-hum on studio albums, but live they blow you away, with Fleck leading the charge. Don't expect him to play the Beverly Hillbillies theme, either, there's nothing yokely about the banjo in his hands. Signature Songs: Just see one of his shows.

3 - [b]Stevie Ray Vaughan[/b]: Blues guitar never sounded so good. His playing had a metallic, old-school twinge in it, and he could alternate speedy and complex solos with back-and-forth slow riffs with equal skill. Signature Songs: "Texas Flood" and "Little Wing"

2 - [b]Eric Clapton[/b] of Cream, amongst others: Slowhands was just amazing. His work with Cream produced some of the best guitar music ever heard, and his solo stuff wasn't bad, either. Even if the ever-underrated J.J Cale wrote his best stuff for him, Clapton made them what they became; simply amazing. Signature Songs: "Layla" and "Cocaine"

1 - [b]Frank Zappa[/b]: FZ may well be the best all-round musician to ever live; when it comes to his genius, the guitar was no exception. He could do it fast, he could do it slow, it didn't matter - he was amazing at either. His riffs were solid, but he shone when it came to solos, where he simply cannot be matched. Signature Songs: "Watermelon in Easter Hay" and "Zoot Allures" and "Broken Hearts are For ********" and "Dancin' Fool" and his cover of the Allman Brother's "Whippin' Post"

Honourable Mentions: Steve Howe (Yes), Duane Allman (Allman Brothers Band), Alex Lifeson (Rush), George Thorogood, J.J. Cale, and Peter Frampton (Humble Pie, solo)

Ok, I know there's tons of music nerds on this site who like nothing more than to have pissing contests about the superiority of their favourite musicians, so... have it.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]i'm really glad you mentioned Steve Howe. He is an amazingly well rounded player and can play any style of music under the sun, whether it is straight blues, complex rock riffs, or dare I say it: ragtime.

I will second the people you listed and throw in modern players too.

Dave Davidson/ Erin Elders of Maps and Atlases- Intertwining, weaving walls of tapping guitar, converging in and out of harmony. Absolutely insane to watch. To see the skill it takes to do two-handed tapping like that...

Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy- Another complex player. His favorite trick --- rapid fire triplet hammer-ons and pull-offs up and down the neck at lightning speed. All while singing.

Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age- Nothing but badass riffage and a cool-but-cockey attitude. I swear, he is the second coming of Elvis. I want to be him.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=1][B]Tom Morello[/B] of [B]Rage Against the Machine[/B]/[B]Audioslave[/B] - This guy is phenomenal. Sure he uses massive amounts of effects, but it takes true skill to pull it off and make it sound good. Not only does he pull it off, but Tom Morello makes it sound amazing. An innovative and highly imaginative guitarist.

[B] Dick Dale[/B] - The pioneer of surf music. He plays insanely fast and insanely accurate. He pretty much invented what everyone knows as surf music, doing so while playing a right-handed guitar upside-down, left-handed. Fantastic.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

alright, i have 2
Angus Young: my main reason is i lke the way the melodies he plays "that should be impossible" they all sound soloy to me, but yet they fit.

Jimi Hendrix: two words: Purlple Haze., any way, that song to me is one of those that just make you wonder, "how did he get so good?" later

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Favorite guitarists sounds better to my ears.

[B]1. Aaron Fink - Breaking Benjamin:[/B] he plays guitar for my favorite band. he's just awesome. Not amazing, but awesome. I loved his work in [B]topless [/B]because of it's simplicity. And [B]Diary of Jane[/B] -the song that brought me to this band- just rocks.

[B]2. Synyster Gates - Avenged Sevenfold:[/B] great. His best work is probably Beast and the Harlot's rifts. Just beyond belief. He does great in almost every song, which makes the band good. Plus his guest appearence in [B]The River [/B]by [B]Good Charlotte[/B]; heavenly.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Heard some greats, here are myn

Jimi Hendrix- the man who brought me to guitar his music hypnotises me every song from purple haze to redhouse.

Stevy Ray Vaughn- I love his music I dont know what it is about it I just do...

Dimmu Borgir- ((sp)) Not only does this man play guitar with a thrashing passion but he plays all of the other instraments in his songs, I love his music.[/COLOR]

[quote name='P014K']I think this list is about right;

[url]http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/[/url][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]I never agreed with that list, ever. I mean, Randy Rhoads is at 85 and Kirk Hammett is number 11. I think the guy who made that list was pretty much into his blues.[/color]

[size=1]That list makes no sense at all. Why is Kurt Cobain on 12, for example?

My alltime favourite guitarist is Mark Knopfler, lead singer and guitarist of the Dire Straits. His fingerpicking style is great and original. His fills and everything are amazing. I want his skills. Moo.

Other guitarists who I adore are Brian May, Tom Morello, Matthew Bellamy, John Frusciante, David Gilmour, Paul Simon and Peter Green.

Tom Morello is already partly explained earlier in the thread, plus I saw him with my own eyes solo with his semi-acoustic guitar and even without his special effects he's great. John Frusciante is the kind of guitarist who is one with his instrument. Guitars are part of him, or he's part of guitars, I'm not sure, but they belong together like cinnamon and sugar. David Gilmour: Pulse, live recording. Comfortably Numb. I've grown up with Brian May and his guitarsound is so distinctive and inventive and everything, it's awesome. Peter Green: [i]Fleetwood Mac - Oh Well[/i]. Nuff said. And well, Matthew Bellamy has awesome riffs, and he's definatelly one of the better "younger" guitarists around lately.

And then there's Paul Simon who I adore. He isn't exactly the greatest [u]rock[/u] guitarist or anything ever, but he really owns his guitar and knows exactly what he's doing. He's most likely my favourite acoustic guitarist. His way of playing the guitar is about the same as playing a piano, it's amazing. I love Paul Simon's skills. *tear*

There, that's my guitarists list. I'd have to add Flea, John Deacon and several other bassists if I would count bassists along, but it'd take too long.
[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]That list makes no sense at all. Why is Kurt Cobain on 12, for example?
[/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]And Johnny Ramone at 16? I was under the impression his songs were composed of three (or so) chords each. Any amateur guitarist can write a three chord song.

As for my top guitarists, there's only one. Jade Puget of AFI is the only guitarist I've ever drawn inspiration from, the only guitarist I've ever listened to and thought "I wish I had come up with this song first!"

Sure, he's not technical, and there have only been two or three fast solos in the hundred or so songs he's done, but that's not what I care about in a guitarist. Of all the songs I can play, the vast majority of them were written by Jade, and they are so much fun to do.

I also really like what I've heard by Norma Jean's guitarists and As I Lay Dying's guitarists, but I don't even know their names. :X[/FONT]

To start I don't judge guitarist by actual skill judge them by If I like their sound are not. So no one try and argue talent with me.

1. [B]Jimi hendrix[/B]-his blusey guitar is sexy. His rock guitar is sexier. When he combine it it's the sexiest. Also his voice goes really well with his guitar. So basically he is the perfect guitarist in my opinion.

2. [B]Adam Jones[/B]-Lead guitar for Tool. I like him for how diverse his guitar can sound. he can make it sound almost middle eastern in one song than wail on it in the next. He also always manage to make his guitar combine with Maynards voice so perfectly. That said I think A Perfect Circles Bassist is better than Tools as of now.

3. [B]Mike Sanchez[/B]-Lead guitar for Acid bath. He makes the guitar grimy when it needs to be grimy. He makes it grimy when it needs to be clean. He basically makes every song sound that much more nasty. He still can make it sound like a lot of different kinds of grimy. Love him.

4.[B]John Wozniak[/B]-Lead guitar for Marcy's Playground. He hits the grundgey punky riffs real well. He doesn't overpower his own vocals with guitar. He gets the sound just right.

5. [B]Alex Lifeson[/B]-Ok this guy is extraordinary. It sounds like he is playing 7 guitars at once. Why 5 then? Well he doesn't fit the lead vocals as well as the others which is important.

Nope no Synyster Gates sorry fellas.

[quote name='P014K']I think this list is about right;

[URL]http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/[/URL][/quote] The only thing Rolling Stone ever gets "about right" on their lists is managing to keep the numbers in order.

[SIZE="1"][B]Michael Angelo Batio [/B]
The video speaks for itself
[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg&mode=related&search=[/url]
I mean seriously just wow
Well I wouldn't say his music is the best but in terms of skill I think he is unmatched[/SIZE]

[quote name='Flagg'][SIZE="1"][B]Michael Angelo Batio [/B]
The video speaks for itself
[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg&mode=related&search=[/url]
I mean seriously just [i]wow[/i]. Well, I wouldn't say his music is the best but in terms of skill I think he is unmatched. [/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]Hm, it has no feel to it whatsoever. For all I see he's spent too much time in his life trying to master speedpicking with silly handtricks to it - leaving the actual music to rot somewhere, which is how it sounds too. Plus, the guitars he uses overall are dead ugly.

But well, he has better control over his guitar than I have, he can take that to the bank.[/size]

Good lord... it's as if some of you have never heard good guitar work. I was expecting Avenged Sevenfold to come up, seeing as for some strange reason people think they are actually above-average guitarists (which they most definitely are not). I'm just really glad no-one has mentioned the god-awful DragonForce. I was expecting them to come up right off the bat, and they never did! Bravo, people. Bravo. Tom Morello has come up more than once, which makes me sad, because his playing is unbelievably underwhelming. And then out of left-friggin'-field, someone brings up Dimmu Borgir, who's guitar players are also beyond unremarkable.

Okay, enough snobbishness. I'm going to throw the incredible [B]Jari Mäenpää[/B] into the suggestion pool, seeing as this guy can actually play. Whether it be slow and soulful or mind-bendingly technical yet weepingly melodic, he can cover it all with outstanding virtuosity. He writes incredible music that never ceases to impress, and I definately think he's one of the greatest musicians of our time. So yes, cheers to him.

[quote name='Billy Shears'][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Dave Davidson/ Erin Elders of Maps and Atlases- Intertwining, weaving walls of tapping guitar, converging in and out of harmony. Absolutely insane to watch. To see the skill it takes to do two-handed tapping like that...[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]The thread should have been closd right there - that's the only pair you need to know XD.

[B]Omar Rodriguez-Lopez[/B] is the best guitarist evar. He can do anything. He is guitar batman. The dudes from [B]Mastodon[/B] are pretty damn impressive too, coming up with some real powerhouse riffage. When it comes to riffs, though, I give the biggest nod to the dudez of [B]Pearls and Brass[/B] who give riffage a whole new meaning. And I think someone mentioned [B]Alex Liefson,[/B] right? He deserves it. [/COLOR]

[size=1]lol, Jake, u r funni. :)

Okay, that was good fun, but now back to the people who can really play guitar.[/size][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Omar Rodriguez-Lopez[/B] is the best guitarist evar. [/COLOR][/QUOTE][size=1]Thanks, I forgot to add him. [/size]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I absolutley adore Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, hell, I have to being a [B]Mars Volta[/B] fanatic. But sometimes it seems like he gets lazy during solos and says, "**** it, turn on some delay, make my guitar sound like a baby in acid, voila! Irritate the crowd with this for the next minute or so." [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Avenged666fold']I never thought Omar was anything spectacular. He would be like top 30 for me.[/QUOTE][size=1]Out of all the guitarists in the world, top 30 is pretty nice. Besides, he isn't really one of the best when it comes to skill, he's one of the better guitarists in style and feeling. [/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]Out of all the guitarists in the world, top 30 is pretty nice. Besides, he isn't really one of the best when it comes to skill, he's one of the better guitarists in style and feeling. [/size][/QUOTE]
I mean as in top 30 guitarists that I have heard. Not top 30 in the world...I am sure there are a bunch of badass Scandinavian kids who will never get heard. Anyway I don't really like his style and feeling...but as a guitarist he ahas a lot of talent(a helluva lot more than me) and he fits pretty well with the band overall.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm more of a metal-punk head so my opinion here is limited.

Acey Slade who played in bands like Dope, Murderdolls, and Trashlight Vision. He's amazing. Especially the stuff he in TLV which was influenced by Guns N' Roses, Iggy Pop, and The Stooges.

Another great guitarist is Michael Ammot of Arch Enemy. Micheal played in the band Carcass in his early days and was one of the inovators of grindcore before crust and grind intermingled much. His stuff can be either as hardcore or melodic as he wants.

There's also the brothers, Anders Björler and Jonas Björler, who played for At The Gates and now play in The Haunted. I think the stuff they pulled out in At The Gates was some of the most fendemental music to come out of the gothenberg death metal movement.

Lastly, there's Kerry King because he's the god of thrash metal and Slayer rulez.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Why do people think that the guys in Slayer can solo? What do they do? Its all unnecessary dive-bombs and squealing bullcrap. Its just really fast tremolo picking that is completely atonal and has no pitch. I respect Slayer and think they have some good songs, but their solos are garbage. Go listen to the solo in "Angel of Death" and tell me if it sounds like something other than a chainsaw and a running faucet. [/SIZE][/COLOR]