OtakuBoards

Thread Title Question

Aberinkula

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]While looking at the new posts, I double clicked the link to a thread. (I always double-click) This thing came up that allowed me to edit the title. I created the thread, so I didn't edit another members thread title.

So how in the heck was I able to do that? It never happens with someone else's thread, only threads I've created have done this. What's up with that? Is it supposed to do this, or is this some glitch in the system.

[B]EDIT: [/B]it seems that this only happens within 10 minutes of the thread being created. I created this thread at 9:40 and after 10 minutes, I wasn't able to preform it.[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]This is just another feature that was added when we upgraded the vB software. It uses [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29][u]AJAX[/u][/url] to let you double click the thread title's table cell and edit the title directly from the thread listing. But since members are only allowed to change the title that appears in the thread listing within ten minutes of posting the thread (and obviously you can only change the titles of your own threads), you won't be able to use it after those ten minutes are up. After that you can only edit the title that appears on the first post itself by using the edit button.

Moderators can use this feature on all threads and without the time limit, of course.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Heh, sorry for not mentioning this earlier. I completely overlooked the fact that members would be able to use this too because I'm used to thinking they can't edit the titles in the thread listing. :p

We only allow members to change titles within ten minutes to keep people from suddenly changing the subject of their thread after it's already been going for a while. It's similar to the reasoning for not letting members delete their own threads either. The ten minutes gives them a little time to correct errors if they happen to misspell something in the title, though.

And, um. . . . Adding someone to your buddy list also uses AJAX now? There's a few little tweaks like that around the site but everything major was mentioned in the New vBulletin thread you posted in Otaku Lounge.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Heh, sorry for not mentioning this earlier. I completely overlooked the fact that members would be able to use this too because I'm used to thinking they can't edit the titles in the thread listing. :p[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Aha ! Finally definitive proof that Des [strike]knows[/strike] thinks he's better than the rest of us because he's an Admin.

[CENTER][IMG]http://home.earthlink.net/~zolanhunter/images/BanHim.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER][/SIZE]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I'm not better than the rest of you because I'm an admin. I'm an admin because I'm better than the rest of you. :smirk:[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]...Well that's me beaten then... [/SIZE]