OtakuBoards

Community Events Suggestions Thread?

Shy

[size=1]Community Events are one of the most unique and exciting parts of OtakuBoards. In this forum members can take part in a variety of contests and community projects (?Events?) run by the Event Master. However, from personal experience I know that the Event Master can?t be the only one to come up with ideas for these events.

So I?d like to propose creating a [b]Community Events Suggestions Thread[/b] in the Community Events forum, a dedicated home where members can pitch, develop and work together on compelling and creative events for the OtakuBoards community. Obviously the forum is about getting as many members involved in these projects as possible, so anyone would be free to chime in with their own ideas and opinions.

Using the suggestions in this thread as a basis, the Event Master would organize and run these events with their creator. This would hopefully remove a lot of the burden of coming up with original events from the Event Master, while also encouraging members to take a more active role in the site. More importantly, it would help ensure that we have a steady stream of active events taking place in my favorite forum.

-Shy[/size] :whoops:

[SIZE="1"]I completely agree with you Josh, and think that this should have been a feature of the Community Events forum for a long time already. I mean as creative as we expect the Event Master to be, they can't come up with every project by themselves. Plus it would be a good way to get more continuous activity into the Community Events forum and make it a real focal point of the boards.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"]I do believe this has been suggested before: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55858"][U]Community Events Suggestion[/U][/URL] I was in favor of the idea then and I still am. I think there are a lot of ideas out there just waiting to be put into action. [/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]I do believe this has been suggested before: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55858"][U]Community Events Suggestion[/U][/URL] I was in favor of the idea then and I still am. I think there are a lot of ideas out there just waiting to be put into action. [/COLOR][/QUOTE][size=1]Yeah, Mom's idea is obviously the inspiration here, and I've been hoping to get this up and running for a while. White's involvement in Community Events has kind of declined recently, though, so I was hoping we could build some more interest in the idea before someone ultimately creates it.

Revolver: I'm not sure if a poll is neccessary, only because I can't imagine anyone objecting to the idea. Of course, if those people do exist they should feel free to post.

-Shy[/size]

[color=#606060]White has recently retired so now is probably the ideal time to be talking about this.

I will speak with Desbreko about appointing a new Event Master and from there we will look at this type of thread - I really think it's a great idea and I don't think community events have much of a future without greater membership involvement (in terms of member-submitted ideas and member-created events).[/color]

I also suggested this type of thread during the Otaku Idol 2 -contest, but it didn't gain much support then (although I think [I]nothing[/I] I said got much support at that time, heh). So I'm only glad that it's been brought up after that by several other people as well, as the community seems to have warmed up to the idea (not saying that it's my original idea, either, it's just that several people have come to the same conclusion on their own).

So yes, I support this type of thread 100%. Maybe it can be launched even before the appointment of the new Event Master, since it could help you admins to find a suitable person for the position among those who contribute to the thread.

Yes, kind of like the preface of Otaku Idol 2, but without all the drama that ensued after it. ;P

[quote name='Sandy']I can tell you his answer to that:[/QUOTE]That takes the fun out of it. XP I've been looking for a post where I could use that dorky smilie. Now you've gone and ruined it. lol

Anyway, having read through the thread by Kathy and also having been a part of the event run by Aaryanna and Crystia, it certainly seems to me that having a thread for suggestions for events would be a fantastic idea. I see no reason why events have to be done only by the Event master. Sure they would be the one to oversee, approve and most likely run it but still, having member input can only be a good thing in my opinion. I may not have any suggestions for it, at least for an event, but I'm sure others will.

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Just curious James, are you going to pick another Event Master to replace White or are we looking at Otaku Idol 3 being held at some stage in the near future ?[/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]Otaku Idol 3!! Yes!! :p

But seriously, this is one of those great ideas that got lost in the shuffle of Otaku Idol 2. I know there are a lot of members (myself included) who would love the chance to pitch some more Community Events.

[strike]Allamorph[/strike] [color=red]Wondershot[/color], for example, came up with an awesome idea for 'Otaku Talent Night' during Final Quest for Glory 2, but we ultimately decided to run the Bermuda Triangle Mystery instead. A Suggestions thread would give everyone an opportunity to look at the idea, pick it apart, and find a way to make it work.

More importantly the thread would probably serve as a good way to gauge member interest in a particular event. If one idea gets a lot of response then we'd obviously know what to run with.

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='Shy][size=1']Allamorph, for example, came up with an awesome idea for 'Otaku Talent Night' during Final Quest for Glory 2, but we ultimately decided to run the Bermuda Triangle Mystery instead.[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I think that was [COLOR=DarkRed]Wondershot[/COLOR]'s idea, actually; otherwise, I have no earthly idea what you might be referring to.

This is supposed to be the part where I say something kind of intelligent and pithy regarding the topic, but I don't actually have anything besides a general agreement to what everyone else has already said. And now I feel all twitchy. :animeshy:

Oh, except to poke fun at [COLOR="DarkRed"]Revolver[/COLOR], 'cause [COLOR="DarkRed"]indifference[/COLOR] [I]is actually[/I] a category mod. :p[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]I think that was [COLOR=DarkRed]Wondershot[/COLOR]'s idea, actually; otherwise, I have no earthly idea what you might be referring to.[/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]You're totally correct. My memory slipped temporarily, and once again someone chimes in to correct me right away. Heh.

-Shy[/size]

• 1 month later...
I thought I'd revive this thread since it's only a month old. XP But still I was curious to know if this was going to be put into motion. It seems kind of odd that the Community Events section is silent.

So I was wondering if that thread or sticky in that area for suggestions was going to be put up so people could post suggestions. I still don't have an idea, but I'd love to see that area become more active again.