OtakuBoards

Clannad

2010DigitalBoy

[CENTER][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/clannad.jpg[/IMG]
[/CENTER]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Let me ask you some inportant questions. Do you want to see what happens when the greatest forces of technical and creative brilliance collide once more to create the most perfect form of entertainment possible? Would you like to discover the full extent of what the medium of animation can deliver mentally, emotionally, and visually? How would you like to partake in an experience that may change your life with it's dazzling animation, thick, rich, unique plot, and ability to deliver the utmost in anime comedy spliced directly next to the most heart-wrenching drama you may ever experience? How would you like to experience, firsthand, the definition of moe in it's purest form?

How about a show where the main character is so unequivecaly likeable that male or female, you will swoon over his every line or thought? How about a cast of memorable personalities that will evoke our purest emotions? How about a beautiful silver haired martial-arts master who can show you first hand that [B]WU-TANG CLANNAD AIN'T NOTHIN TA **** WIT?![/B]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/Clannad2.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

If you answered no to any of those questions, you do not deserve to exist, and if you answered yes like a good little anime fan, then you NEED to go watch [B]CLANNAD[/B]. Based on a visual novel by [B]Key[/B] and animated by[B] Kyoto Animation [/B]- the team that had you dazzled by the brisk breeze of the [B]AIR[/B] through whom rain fell like so many tears - the same team who shot you with an emotional [B]KANON[/B] that hit you right where it hurt yet brought such a smile to your face that could elate the darkes of hours. Thanks to some excellent work by [B]Eclipse[/B] subs, even those who know not the native language of moe can experience the wonder that is CLANNAD.

People, I cannot stress this enough. The first episode of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clannad_%28visual_novel%29]CLANNAD[/url] is out and subbed. WATCH IT NOW![/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Um . . . wrong type of kanon. A cannon is what you shoot things with; a canon, or kanon as it's spelled here, is a type of musical composition. :animeknow

On the subject of Clannad, though, I'm going to wait the two weeks for the 16:9 widescreen version to start airing. As much as I want it [i]now,[/i] there's no way I'm settling for the reformatted 4:3 version.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Um . . . wrong type of kanon. A cannon is what you shoot things with; a canon, or kanon as it's spelled here, is a type of musical composition. :animeknow

On the subject of Clannad, though, I'm going to wait the two weeks for the 16:9 widescreen version to start airing. As much as I want it [i]now,[/i] there's no way I'm settling for the reformatted 4:3 version.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]You can watch it twice, dammit! his was one of the best 1st episodes I've ever seen by a long shot.

Also, Avenged, your sources were WRONG. AIR and Kanon are masterpices uunlike anything else. [/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]I thought about doing that, like I did with Lucky Star (heck, some of those I watched three times as better releases became available—Guerrand, a.f.k., and finally EnA), but I don't know if I'll like Clannad enough to bother. I thought Air and Kanon were good but they weren't the sort of series where I'd want to watch each episode twice.

We'll see how things go once I start watching it, though. I may cave and start getting the early 4:3 versions too.[/color]

[quote name='Dagger']Hold out with me! I'm so determined to wait for the widescreen episodes.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Dagger, I'm shocked your willing to wait that long! This IS the newest Key game adaption after all. AIR is in your alltime top 6 isn't it? Come on now... how can you resist?

...All the cool kids are watching it!!! *needs someone to spiel with*[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]...All the cool kids are watching it!!! *needs someone to spiel with*[/COLOR][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Wait, wait, wait. So far it's me and Dagger waiting for the widescreen compared to you getting the 4:3. And you say all the cool kids are watching it? :blulaugh:

Now that Dagger's with me my resolve is strengthened. We should form a widescreen followers support group.[/color]

[COLOR=#001824][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I'm currently waiting for the widescreen version (Oh the irony!). So I'll give my input after I actually watch it.

I usually don't watch things in this genre, but since[strike] being threatened[/strike] having it suggested to me by many friends along with the ungodly hype I've seen for it, I've decided to check it out, expect a so-so response.

Now its time for some Gundam 00[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Avenged666fold']I will watch Air before I even think of watching this. It's subbed right now anyway and I don't watch fansubs.Air has the first dvd out in the U.S. dubbed. If it's good I'll consider it.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]2, actually. And the dub is excellent, so I'll let you off the hook. But you better watch ALL of it before you say anything.

ell, the 'cool kids' thing was obviously a joke, though I'm not lying since everyone EXCEPT you guys is watching it >_> not like OB is the most important place for anime kiddies, lol. Anyway, I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from since I'm still waiting for a non-shity ep 10 of [B]Hidamari Sketch[/B] which aired in the spring :animesigh

The [B]CLANNAD[/B] I watched was epically beautiful, though, so I'm not sure what difference yall ar waiting for. [/COLOR]

The 4:3 version is cropped, which means that parts of the picture are missing. If I hadn't seen the widescreen Invitation already, I might have been able to deal with that, but now there's no going back for me. Of course, it's made a bit easier by the fact that I have ef to help meet my bishoujo game adaptation needs (in the interim, anyway).

~Dagger~

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]2, actually. And the dub is excellent, so I'll let you off the hook. But you better watch ALL of it before you say anything.

ell, the 'cool kids' thing was obviously a joke, though I'm not lying since everyone EXCEPT you guys is watching it >_> not like OB is the most important place for anime kiddies, lol. Anyway, I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from since I'm still waiting for a non-shity ep 10 of [B]Hidamari Sketch[/B] which aired in the spring :animesigh

The [B]CLANNAD[/B] I watched was epically beautiful, though, so I'm not sure what difference yall ar waiting for. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]I hate subs period. First I don't like reading anime. That's what manga is for. Secondly I hate the way the Japanese language sounds. Hence I don't watch subs. I might make an exception for Millennium Actress eventually.

• 3 weeks later...
[i]So beautiful[/i]. I'm really happy I waited. Anyway, I think Ryou is going to be my favorite (she's different from the characters Hirohashi Ryou normally plays, so I love listening to her), but Nagisa is not at all what I expected. That's a good thing--I thought she'd be the ultra-genki type, but she's more interesting this way.

Nagisa's parents are the shiz. <3

~Dagger~

I've seen episode 1. Episode 2 is just now finishing up and I'm still waiting on episode 3 so I'm still having to wait to watch episode 4 until I see 2 and 3. But what I've seen with episode 1, I LOVE IT! That part where [spoiler]that chick beat down them biker dudes in just seconds, then they post up a "spectators view"[/spoiler] was just great.

The anime makes you think its gonna be some girly style anime, then you start seein folks get their *** whooped. Definetly well worth watchin.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]CLANNAD 5 was great, nice to see an ep take itself seriously and have plot n all and I'm glad it moves much faster than Kanon. [spoiler]The whole thing about "it" coming off every now and then was absolutely priceless.[/spoiler]

I can't help but hope that [spoiler]Fuu-chan[/spoiler] doesn't just disappear when her arc is over like so many other Key girls. She's too adorable ^_^

Also, [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=RpN-tYKPxGE]DANGO FULL.[/url][/COLOR]

Heh, it's funny to have two parallel discussions of the show going on at the same time. Interesting, though. I don't have much to say about episode 2 except that the scenes with Tomoya's dad were handled well (the girls' introductions, in contrast, felt kind of awkward). The [spoiler]Nagisa waiting in the rain scene[/spoiler] fell flat for me at first because the exact same scenario popped up in ef last week, but I liked how that brought out the reason why Tomoya had to quit basketball.

So glad to hear it moves faster than Kanon.

~Dagger~

• 4 months later...
[color=#4B0082][url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-27/clannad-after-story-tv-sequel-to-be-announced][u]Clannad is getting a second TV series.[/u][/url] :o

This makes me very happy because I've enjoyed Clannad a lot. More so than both Kanon and Air. Needs moar details about the After Story series though.

I've waited for the 16:9 versions through the whole series, by the way. Widescreen is for the win; I can't even imagine watching it in 4:3 pan-and-scan anymore.[/color]

I think Air will always be my favorite... the fact that it's not in a school setting like Clannad or Kanon gets big bonus points from me, heh. However, the After Story has the potential to be something incredibly special.

I look forward to seeing how KyoAni handles it. :catgirl:

~Dagger~

[color=#4B0082]Air does get bonus points for having a setting that isn't completely overused but too much if it seemed incredibly slow and not especially interesting to me. All the side characters were just kind of meh; I only really cared about Yukito and Misuzu and the backstory sections. I actually preferred the movie because it moved faster and only focused on the main story.

Anyway, back to Clannad. I'm getting the movie as I type this but I can't decide whether or not to wait until I've finished with the TV series to watch it. Does it matter much in terms of continuity?

Also, Caramelldansen:

[center][youtube=Zombie Fuko Caramelldansen]BN1G5d7017g[/youtube][/center][/color]

DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE.

Seriously, don't do it. I liked the AIR movie, but the Toei Clannad contains all the material from the KyoAni TV series plus the game After Story in, like, an hour and a half. It's so compact that ultimately it feels like reading a bunch of major spoilers from the game, and that's no fun. It's not that the story presented isn't very powerful, because it is, but I think that the KyoAni After Story is bound to have more impact, and you'll probably want to see it that way first. Just my two cents.

~Dagger~

[color=#4B0082]Hmm, that's disappointing. I guess it'll get to sit around for a good while before being watched then.

And zomg, there's already a trailer out for KyoAni's After Story. Does this mean it's continuing straight after the first series and starting spring season?[/color]

[center][youtube=Clannad ~After Story~ Trailer]5Htow134LRs[/youtube][/center]