Justin Posted December 20, 2007 Author Posted December 20, 2007 Yeah, the guitar player and writer of all the music used to be in a deathcore band called Scarlet O'Hara with me about a year ago. I'm supposed to do vocals on his album, but we fall in and out of contact. He was talking to Willowtip Records, but I think that fell through. While he's certainly the most talented musician, I enjoy Autumn Aria much more. I went with those guys to see Vader and Malevolent Creation this past Friday night. Then Blackheart is a deathrash band I started as a pure thrash band soon after Scarlet O'Hara broke up. I quit before the line-up was even complete, and because the guy they replaced me with couldn't do anything but death growls, they took a more death metal turn. That's pretty much a run-down of my local metal scene. There's of course a plethora of sub-metallic bands. The best of which is [URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=14099963"]Thrill of a Gunfight,[/URL] for fans of that kind of thing. -Justin PS- I recommend "None Shall Amend" and "The Raping of Lavinia" by Autumn Aria.
Jakehammaren Posted December 21, 2007 Posted December 21, 2007 So I checked out Autumn Aria. I will say, I was pleasantly suprised by the non-metalcore vocals. For some reason, I was expecting stupid metalcore yelping but was greeted with standard death growls instead which was nice. The clean vocals are good too. Not great, but good, and far better than I would have expected. I guess I think it's alright. Their music is far, far too embedded in the generic Gothenburger fare for me to ever really get into, but it's not bad. They have some interesting moments. I just don't really like those (as I already stated) generic recycled Gothenburg riffs. But they certainly can play their instruments, the songs are well thought-out and proficiently written, which is nice. Unfortunately, this style has been absolutely beaten to death, and as a result, the music feels tired and a bit boring. Oh, and there is a riff at 3:15 through "Embracing Infinity" that I swear has been done by every single death metal band in existence. I mean, like, every single one.
Panache Posted December 22, 2007 Posted December 22, 2007 I heard some of Torture Squads stuff today. I really really really like them. I need to buy their albums SOON! Anyone ever heard of them?
Aberinkula Posted December 22, 2007 Posted December 22, 2007 [COLOR="77656"]No, but I've listened to some Blind Guardian this week at school. And they are really good. Better than a lot of other bands as well. Even though Dimmu is my still my fav. I have a new playlist that is all metal too. Except for a few Grindcore songs, but that's no big deal. I have Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, that one Agalloch song, some Blind Guardion, Gojira, Behemeth and some Nevermore as well. But it's not a very well populated playlist. As in, I don't have a lot of bands. So is there any bands I should add? I'm thinking about some Wintersun and Celtic Frost, but I'm not sure. BTW I'm getting a few CD's at FYE later this month, is there any suggestions abut CD's I should get?[/COLOR]
Panache Posted December 22, 2007 Posted December 22, 2007 [QUOTE]Celtic Frost[/QUOTE] I like Celtic Frost. I recommend them. Oh and obviously listen to Torture Squad. [URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=58059758"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=58059758[/URL]
Justin Posted December 22, 2007 Author Posted December 22, 2007 Haha. Interestingly enough, in the deathcore band I mentioned earlier, we used a riff very similar to that one. I recognized as soon as I heard it. They're all good metal dudes, though; and they're the best performing band my town has to offer. Blackheart is kind of a study in one ex-metalcore kid's descent into true death metal, but his head's in the wrong place to truly come up with anything good. And I DJ will never be able to focus enough to make Curator work. That, and the only venue left around here is a church-run one, so there's little hometown support for any of these guys. Autumn Aria is actually the least popular of all three, Blackheart being the most closely connected with the young scene. It's a sad day for metal in Columbus. -Justin
Panache Posted December 23, 2007 Posted December 23, 2007 I've been listening to Macabre. Man their songs are funny... the Cat Came Back is probably the funniest I heard so far.
Aberinkula Posted December 23, 2007 Posted December 23, 2007 [COLOR="77656"]Today, I went to FYE and bought Wiht Oden on our Side by Amon Amarth. I tortured my mom by listening to most of the album in her car, and I'm quite impressed. Luckily I got 3 dollars ofusing one of those discount cards they sell during the sports seasons at school. Which is cool because it comes wiht teh bonus CD with a couple of great songs on there. I still think Cry of the Blackbrids is an awesome song. But I also love Prediction of Warfare, With Oden on Our side, Hermod's Ride to Hel- Lokes Treachery part 1, and under the Northern Star. The album is beautiful beyond that. I was going to buy a Dimmu Borgir album, but all they had was In sorte Diablo, which IMO is not very good, from the sogns I've heard.[/COLOR]
Panache Posted December 24, 2007 Posted December 24, 2007 [quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="77656"]Today, I went to FYE and bought Wiht Oden on our Side by Amon Amarth. I tortured my mom by listening to most of the album in her car, and I'm quite impressed. Luckily I got 3 dollars ofusing one of those discount cards they sell during the sports seasons at school. Which is cool because it comes wiht teh bonus CD with a couple of great songs on there. I still think Cry of the Blackbrids is an awesome song. But I also love Prediction of Warfare, With Oden on Our side, Hermod's Ride to Hel- Lokes Treachery part 1, and under the Northern Star. The album is beautiful beyond that. I was going to buy a Dimmu Borgir album, but all they had was In sorte Diablo, which IMO is not very good, from the sogns I've heard.[/COLOR][/QUOTE] You didn't pick up any Torture Squad or Dog Fashion disco? :o Bah I have no one to fanboy with.
Aberinkula Posted December 24, 2007 Posted December 24, 2007 [COLOR="77656"]Well, you like Tool and Avenged Sevenfold. Even though they aren't metal, we can still fanboy about them. Anyways. I listened to the bonus disk, and I am very satisfied wiht my purchase. I should **** the owner of FYE just to say 'thank you.' I didn't think metal artists said 'rock n' roll anymore'.[/COLOR]
Panache Posted December 24, 2007 Posted December 24, 2007 Hmm I was wondering why so many people in the metal community hate Slayer? I mean besides their new stuff you seem like good legit thrash to me. Oh yea and I heard some Dimmu Borgir while I was searching for a new avatar. Pretty good stuff.
2010DigitalBoy Posted December 24, 2007 Posted December 24, 2007 [quote name='Panache']Hmm I was wondering why so many people in the metal community hate Slayer? I mean besides their new stuff you seem like good legit thrash to me. Oh yea and I heard some Dimmu Borgir while I was searching for a new avatar. Pretty good stuff.[/QUOTE] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]I don't get how you can compare their new and old stuff when it all sounds the exact same. They've basically written one album over the course of 20-odd years, based on what I've heard. In any case I don't mind them, but they aren't worth talking about really...[/COLOR]
Panache Posted December 24, 2007 Posted December 24, 2007 [quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I don't get how you can compare their new and old stuff when it all sounds the exact same. They've basically written one album over the course of 20-odd years, based on what I've heard. In any case I don't mind them, but they aren't worth talking about really...[/COLOR][/QUOTE] Whaaa? Listen to their newest album and south of Heaven and then tell me that... Anyway Dimmu Borgir is really good. I gosta get me a CD sometime soon.
Aberinkula Posted December 24, 2007 Posted December 24, 2007 [COLOR="77656"]I suggest Stormblast Panache. I've heard a lot of songs from that album, and it is by far, one of the best. Look on the net for a song called Vredysburg. (sp) It's not from Stormblast, however, it is a great song. Projectplaylist.com is a good site to check out some of the music mentioned here.[/COLOR]
Panache Posted December 24, 2007 Posted December 24, 2007 Bah I am not in a metal mood right now so I will look it all up tomorrow. Is there a such thing as like a metal band with reggae influences out there?
Jakehammaren Posted December 24, 2007 Posted December 24, 2007 [quote name='Panache']Bah I am not in a metal mood right now so I will look it all up tomorrow. Is there a such thing as like a metal band with reggae influences out there?[/QUOTE] No, there is not. There is, however, ultra-shittastic annoying mallcore with reggae influences called Skindred. Look up their song "Nobody" on Youtube. Strangely enough, that's probably exactly what you're looking for. It makes me want to vomit. And Dimmu Borgir sucks. Stormblast was pretty good (THE ORIGINAL, NOT THE SH!TTY REMAKE!!!), but they've done nothing but annoying extreme goth metal tailored for Hot Topic consumption for their past handful of albums. Blargh.
Justin Posted December 25, 2007 Author Posted December 25, 2007 Slayer, not worth talking about? Go hang yourself. If not for Slayer, you wouldn't have most of the extreme metal out there. I don't care if you don't like them, but don't disrespect Slayer. You want someone who pairs reggae influence with metal influence? Go buy [i]City of Evil[/i]. Yeah, it's stupid, but it's there. I feel like Jake. And that's not a bad thing...at least, not for me. But some of you guys are awakening the Beast. Slayer...not worth talking about...I need a cigarette. -Justin
2010DigitalBoy Posted December 25, 2007 Posted December 25, 2007 [quote name='Kam']Slayer, not worth talking about? Go hang yourself. If not for Slayer, you wouldn't have most of the extreme metal out there. I don't care if you don't like them, but don't disrespect Slayer. You want someone who pairs reggae influence with metal influence? Go buy [i]City of Evil[/i]. Yeah, it's stupid, but it's there. I feel like Jake. And that's not a bad thing...at least, not for me. But some of you guys are awakening the Beast. Slayer...not worth talking about...I need a cigarette. -Justin[/QUOTE] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Well what do you want me to say? 'they were influential' that's about the discussion that I hate THE most out of all discussions ever. EDIT: I.... got my hands on Diadem of 12 Stars by Wolves in the Throne room and it's pretty ****ing incredibly awesome. I didn't really know what to expect sicne I couldn't find ANYTHING by them, but I gotta say, this **** is incredible. [/COLOR]
Panache Posted December 25, 2007 Posted December 25, 2007 [quote name='Kam']Slayer, not worth talking about? Go hang yourself. If not for Slayer, you wouldn't have most of the extreme metal out there. I don't care if you don't like them, but don't disrespect Slayer. You want someone who pairs reggae influence with metal influence? Go buy [i]City of Evil[/i]. Yeah, it's stupid, but it's there. I feel like Jake. And that's not a bad thing...at least, not for me. But some of you guys are awakening the Beast. Slayer...not worth talking about...I need a cigarette. -Justin[/QUOTE] I've actually never seen anyone stick up for Slayer ever...Kudos to you.
0ber0n the Neko Posted December 25, 2007 Posted December 25, 2007 [quote name='2008DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Well what do you want me to say? 'they were influential' that's about the discussion that I hate THE most out of all discussions ever. EDIT: I.... got my hands on Diadem of 12 Stars by Wolves in the Throne room and it's pretty ****ing incredibly awesome. I didn't really know what to expect sicne I couldn't find ANYTHING by them, but I gotta say, this **** is incredible. [/COLOR][/QUOTE] Diadem of 12 Stars is one of the most amazing black metal albums I've ever heard. I'm sure I'll catch some flak for saying that. I used to love Slayer. I still like a lot of their songs. It doesn't need be pretentious and written in a frostbitten northern forest to be decent metal, after all. In my opinion, Slayer had to exist for extreme metal to happen. If it wasn't that specific group of people, it would have been another group of people, similarly pissed off and similarly talented in their craft. Just because a lot of hot topic bands like them doesn't mean they're any worse than they were when they were scaring midwestern housewives with their "fast music and satanic lyrics". They weren't just influential, they were a necessary element of metal's musical evolution. It just seem like Slayer gets a bad rap from pretentious metalheads because they're so finicky about who else listens to their music. God forbid some retarded nebraskan slipknot fan be listening to the same song as they, the only ones who can [i]truly[/i] appreciate it.
Panache Posted December 25, 2007 Posted December 25, 2007 I just got Witchcult Today and Dopethrone by Electric Wizard. I love the somewhat diluted vocals. Bah these guys are definitely my favorite metal artists. Oh and I let my cousin listen to Elderfrost today. He likes them a lot. I wouldn't expect that from him considering his usual tastes in music.
Jakehammaren Posted December 26, 2007 Posted December 26, 2007 [quote name='0ber0n the Neko']It doesn't need be pretentious and written in a frostbitten northern forest to be decent metal, after all.[/QUOTE] Nope. You're wrong.
Aberinkula Posted December 26, 2007 Posted December 26, 2007 [COLOR="77656"]No Jake, good metal doesn't have to be written in a frostbitten northern forest, but it does help actually.[/COLOR]
Justin Posted December 26, 2007 Author Posted December 26, 2007 [quote name='0ber0n the Neko'] It just seem like Slayer gets a bad rap from pretentious metalheads because they're so finicky about who else listens to their music. God forbid some retarded nebraskan slipknot fan be listening to the same song as they, the only ones who can [i]truly[/i] appreciate it.[/QUOTE] My thoughts, exactly. Though, most of my friends(and myself) relegate Slayer to the "Metal Gods" level, where it doesn't matter what dumbass mallrat likes them; they're still Slayer. I could criticize them all day, if I wanted to, as with any music. But not here, where there are only a handful of people who'd get it. Criticism is one thing, but waving off one of the most influential bands in metal's history as "not worth discussing", once again, makes you look like a damned sight of a fool. -Justin
Panache Posted December 26, 2007 Posted December 26, 2007 Obviously all good metal is written in frostbitten forests up north. Northern Norway to be exact. That's why all good metal bands are satanists. Because it's so ****ing cold that hell seems like a blessing. And that's why black metal is the only genre. SO THAR!!!!
Recommended Posts