OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal: A Head Banger's Discussion Thread

Justin

Fair to the Midland is Metal? Doesn't sound like it to me...but to be fair I have only heard one song.

Anyway still need those suggestions fellas!

Oh and Gozu...I personally can understand why you said what you said and why you didn't read the entire thread(it's pretty long). I have a lot of friends with the same general attitude as you. But well if you look around you can find a lot of amazing metal bands who really push the envelope.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="77656"]No Far to Midland is art rock. I was just saying I'd rather buy their album that's all.

Gozu, Agalloch... Listen to them on youtube, then you will realize metal is not dead. ****, look up Wintersun and Nevermore. I've heard a song or two by them and they were excellent.[/COLOR]

Yea but Apparently some people call them the "heaviest band in the universe" which makes me shake my head(in a bad way). Sure I can headbang to some of their harder riffs but the hardest band in the universe? But they are still hella good. Vinum Sabbathi has a bad *** intro. Oh and
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]
THE WIZARD!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Rainy Dog']Electric Wizard is good stuff, I remeber hearing Dopethrone for the first, a mind blowing experience.Doom/Stoner Metal at it's best.[/QUOTE]

Hardly doom at its best. Maybe stoner metal at it's best, but definitely not doom.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Oh OK my mistake then. Oh and if you want some bad *** Doom/Stoner Metal check out Electric Wizard...they are Sex(and they still make music so they are current too).

Ensiferum is amazing...I think I am liking them more than Amon Amarth now.[/QUOTE]

What do Ensiferum and Amon Amarth have to do with each other?

[QUOTE]What do Ensiferum and Amon Amarth have to do with each other?[/QUOTE] Amarth is my third favorite metal band. Or was. Now it's forth in place of Ensiferum.

Anyway I listened to Electric Wizard for about an hour and a half on the way to school today. I see where he gets the doom thing from...they do play slow most of the time.

[COLOR="77656"]Wow I didn't know there was 2 Amon Amarths Avenged? Boy the lawsuits there must be.[/sarcasm] So I see that Amon was your third favorite and your 4th facoirute and you ugh, I'm conufzzled.

Tonight is the night I go D shoppin! May god bless me and FYE with Agalloch![/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="77656"]Wow I didn't know there was 2 Amon Amarths Avenged? Boy the lawsuits there must be.[/sarcasm] So I see that Amon was your third favorite and your 4th facoirute and you ugh, I'm conufzzled.

Tonight is the night I go D shoppin! May god bless me and FYE with Agalloch![/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Yeesh I fixed it.

Oh and buy Committed to a Bright future by Dog Fashion Disco...

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]So I bought [B]To the Nameless Dead[/B] by [B]Primordial[/B]. I've only had the chance to listen to it fully once and oterwise only managed the first 2-3 songs a few times, and I've already heard [B]Empires Fall[/B] online enough. however, I just finished [B]Traito'rs Gate[/B] which is one of those songs you have to stop typing and just listen for a moment for the chance to go [i]holy ****ing **** this is awesome.[/i] I'd peg them as somewhere in the [B]Agalloch[/B]/[B]Isis[/B] family, mixing Isis's dark, brooding, and lengthy all-consuming riffs with Agalloch's RAW EMOTION. There were also a few little parts that reminded me of [B]Tool[/B] on [B]Lateralus[/B] a little bit (before you dispute that, go listen to [B]As Rome Burns[/B] again). Singer is a ****ing badass by the way. All the past few days I've been spewing lines from Empires Fall as I walk around.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]So I bought [B]To the Nameless Dead[/B] by [B]Primordial[/B]. I've only had the chance to listen to it fully once and oterwise only managed the first 2-3 songs a few times, and I've already heard [B]Empires Fall[/B] online enough. however, I just finished [B]Traito'rs Gate[/B] which is one of those songs you have to stop typing and just listen for a moment for the chance to go [i]holy ****ing **** this is awesome.[/i] I'd peg them as somewhere in the [B]Agalloch[/B]/[B]Isis[/B] family, mixing Isis's dark, brooding, and lengthy all-consuming riffs with Agalloch's RAW EMOTION. There were also a few little parts that reminded me of [B]Tool[/B] on [B]Lateralus[/B] a little bit (before you dispute that, go listen to [B]As Rome Burns[/B] again). Singer is a ****ing badass by the way. All the past few days I've been spewing lines from Empires Fall as I walk around.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

You're extremely, extremely off in your comparisons (mainly the Tool one, even after a detailed listen). You must be mistaking Primordial's rhythmic stylings with Tool's simply because there's a lot of tom work.

Primordial's riffs have far more in common with black metal than they do Isis (which is kind of an odd band to bring up as well...), which makes sense seeing as they started off as a black metal band to begin with. Agalloch is a very far-fetched comparison as well.

Although I will cut you some slack simply because, based on what I've observed of your taste in music, you don't really have anything to compare Primordial to so you just went with what you knew that seemed close.

But seriously, never, ever compare them to Tool.

[i]Gaahl[/i] doesn't want to work with Infernus anymore. That doesn't mean Gorgoroth is done, but Infernus will no longer be a part of it.

Though, I wouldn't call it a bad thing if they do break up. They're more ideology than music, and they're only popular because of their ideals. There's much better black metal out there.

Holy ****, Wolves in the Throne Room is god!

-Justin

[quote name='Jakehammaren']You're extremely, extremely off in your comparisons (mainly the Tool one, even after a detailed listen). You must be mistaking Primordial's rhythmic stylings with Tool's simply because there's a lot of tom work.

Primordial's riffs have far more in common with black metal than they do Isis (which is kind of an odd band to bring up as well...), which makes sense seeing as they started off as a black metal band to begin with. Agalloch is a very far-fetched comparison as well.

Although I will cut you some slack simply because, based on what I've observed of your taste in music, you don't really have anything to compare Primordial to so you just went with what you knew that seemed close.

But seriously, never, ever compare them to Tool.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Well, I heard a certain minute or so of As Rom Burns which sounded like it was stripped straight from Lateraus, so whatever.

I don't think my Isis comparison is too far off - no they aren't annywhere near the same genre or anything, but they both have the sort of long-riff-passage thing going on, and the way it feels when listening is similar in some cases.

And Agalloch was only the emotion. The EMOTION. [B]THE EMOTION. [/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Well, I heard a certain minute or so of As Rom Burns which sounded like it was stripped straight from Lateraus, so whatever.

I don't think my Isis comparison is too far off - no they aren't annywhere near the same genre or anything, but they both have the sort of long-riff-passage thing going on, and the way it feels when listening is similar in some cases.

And Agalloch was only the emotion. The EMOTION. [B]THE EMOTION. [/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Right. Agalloch conveys an entire different set of emotions than Primordial does.

I have no idea what "long-riff-passage" means, so I won't even bother.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Tool is the [I]only[/I] band who uses toms and bass. :rolleyes:

No, seriously, that's like saying Green Day sounds like Cannibal Corpse because they have some songs in the same time signature.

I love Metallica, Im a metallica and Rob Zombie maniac. I love the movies Hourse of a 100 Corpses and Devils rejects! My favourite song has to be Enter Sandman (I had made a video out of it with anime and put it on youtube and it was VERY popular then the youtube ********** took my damn video down.) and Dragula. I have seen Slayer and Marilyn Manson in Concert, it was AWESOME. Anyways... please dont kill me TT_TT

[quote name='Kam'][i]Gaahl[/i] doesn't want to work with Infernus anymore. That doesn't mean Gorgoroth is done, but Infernus will no longer be a part of it.

Though, I wouldn't call it a bad thing if they do break up. They're more ideology than music, and they're only popular because of their ideals. There's much better black metal out there.

Holy ****, Wolves in the Throne Room is god!

-Justin[/QUOTE]

yeah that is one of the many reasons I love them so is the messeges they send threw they're music. And from the interviews I've seen with Ghall in them and what he thinks, it is similar to the way I think of Christianity. I've been sending similar messeges in my music threw inspiration from Gorgoroth and other BLack metal bands as well such as Behemoth, and such. So Theyre going to get a new drummer then Kam, or do you not know this?

Not a clue.

And I hate to do this, but you'd rather hear it from me, I'm sure: Behemoth isn't black metal. They haven't been for quite some time. They are one of my favorite death metal bands, though.

I think music should come before ideals. But that's just me. [i]Gaahl[/i](I keep italicizing this for a reason, Metalcore) is an intelligent man, but he doesn't really propagate any message, other than **** Christianity. And if your message is nothing but "to hell with that message", that's really no message at all.

-Justin

[QUOTE]but he doesn't really propagate any message, other than **** Christianity. And if your message is nothing but "to hell with that message", that's really no message at all.[/QUOTE]Aren't there a good number of black metal bands like that? Seems that way to me...and I think that kind of a lame reason to like a band(not saying that's the only reason you do Metalcore but there are people who are like that).

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Aren't there a good number of black metal bands like that? Seems that way to me...and I think that kind of a lame reason to like a band(not saying that's the only reason you do Metalcore but there are people who are like that).[/QUOTE]

there are many people who think I like black metal for that one reason, but the answer is a big NO I do hate christianity with every bit of my physical as well as astral body, but that isnt the one reason I love the genre. It lets me yes get my messege of hatred out, but I send other messeges out threw my music too. Stage presence is another thing I love too, how along with the music you create a dark atmosphere and to the ons who are not used to it will scare the living **** out of them. Kam yes he is very smart, and he sends that messege for the reason he HATES christianity more than anyone I know including myself and I hate it ALOT for numerous reasons..... BUt he wishes to spread his hatred to others as I do to, you may not be able to do this to everyone but we do it because its what we seek to do at least I do I cannot speak for any other black metal artist. Avenged your right there are many black metal bands that are this way, what seperates them are trhe ones that truly mean what they play or if its for their image. SO its seperated into the True BLack metal artists and honestly I have never heard a name for the others.

Spreading hate for Christians...how quaint. I guess it feels good to be hated.

EDIT: If a band tried to shove a message like that(lets say their anti Muslim or something) I probably wouldn't listen to them. I mean if you have an opinion on something that's fine. And hell if you can bring up some valid points on the side of the music I might listen to you. But if your gonna be like "**** all Muslims" I'm gonna be like "no **** you." (I have no beef with the Muslims and I do not hate them regardless of what some of their radicals do).

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Spreading hate for Christians...how quaint. I guess it feels good to be hated.

EDIT: If a band tried to shove a message like that(lets say their anti Muslim or something) I probably wouldn't listen to them. I mean if you have an opinion on something that's fine. And hell if you can bring up some valid points on the side of the music I might listen to you. But if your gonna be like "**** all Muslims" I'm gonna be like "no **** you." (I have no beef with the Muslims and I do not hate them regardless of what some of their radicals do).[/QUOTE]

OK well besides the fact that IDKwhat quaint means ill try to reply to this messege :animesmil Well I dont say that in my music, deeply inbedded my hate for them is there but it is notted into a storyof a song. Many include an armageddon of biblical references etc. But as I said previously not all of my songs are
anti-christian, bacause my bandmates have no hate for them of what I see.
But I see where your coming from and I would hate if somone was on stage too, but assuming the show isnt for white supremisits I dont think youds do it anyway.

I personally think hating the anyone themselves for a belief is wrong. You can disagree and dislike the belief but not hate the person. Like lets use this as an example. There is a guy who is really anti metal. I like metal myslef so I don't really like the way he thinks about that subject. Do I hate the person himself? No I don't. So all I'm saying is hate the idea not the person.*steps off soapbox*

Anyway I have a question. Would you not listen to Amon Amarth just because they went on tour with As I lay Dying (because As I Lay Dying is a christian band) even though they aren't a christian band themselves?

[quote name='Avenged666fold']I personally think hating the anyone themselves for a belief is wrong. You can disagree and dislike the belief but not hate the person. Like lets use this as an example. There is a guy who is really anti metal. I like metal myslef so I don't really like the way he thinks about that subject. Do I hate the person himself? No I don't. So all I'm saying is hate the idea not the person.*steps off soapbox*

Anyway I have a question. Would you not listen to Amon Amarth just because they went on tour with As I lay Dying (because As I Lay Dying is a christian band) even though they aren't a christian band themselves?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, music is music if it sounds good to my ears I'de listen to them. I never said I hate the people who are christians I just find the faith itself disgusting in so many ways.... Well accept the Vatican... But anyway yeah I like As I Lay DIeing they dont sound christian to me be w/e doesnt chage the sound of their music, I love the way there guitars sound great. But Ive never heard of the other band you mentioned.