OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal: A Head Banger's Discussion Thread

Justin

[quote name='Metalcore501']But Ive never heard of the other band you mentioned.[/QUOTE]
[font=arial][size=1]You must have skipped this entire thread if you haven't heard of Amon Amarth. I don't really want to backcheck this, but they've probably been mentioned on every page here. o_O

I don't want to derail this thread any more than it kinda already is, but Metalcore is right, music is music. It's really up to the listener to decide if the ideals presented in the lyrics adversely affect their feelings towards the band, but being kind of standoff-ish about Christianity myself, I don't let stuff like that bother me. If the music is good, then look past it, not everything in a song's lyrics is going to be relevant to you like it is for them. My only problem with lyrics is that they can really keep me from taking a band seriously. Viking metal. I can't do it, I'm sorry.

[IMG]http://www.nerd-core.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/ensiferum.jpg[/IMG]

I just can't take it seriously.

More relevant, is it weird to you that metal has this image of being satanic while there is a ridiculous amount of christian metalcore bands? I wonder if there is some sort of correlation to this.[/font][/size]

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea music is music. But Metalcore you gotta listen to Amon Amarth. They are the best Death Metal band I have ever heard. Oh and whats hard to take serious about viking metal face? I mean if your doing it right you can get the sound of vikings pillaging a village and that sounds pretty awesome...at least to me. When they start talking about trolls n stuff though...it does seem a little silly. Oh and I think that nowadays chrisitans are trying to expres their love of the lord in different more modern ways. Sure Metal started off with Black Sabbath and the dark lyrics they had. But what was important to these guys was the sound of the music rather than the message.

@ [B]Metalcore[/B] - What black metal do you listen to? I smell the ignorance of a poser... I hope I am wrong. You see, I happen to be a huge black metal fan. And something tells me, based on almost all of your posts, your screenname, and the fact that you like As I Lay Dying, that you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm very open to being proven wrong on this, and I hope you do so.

@ [B]Goodbye, Face[/B] - You don't need to take Viking metal seriously. It's mostly about having a good time anyway. It's generally a fun genre that doesn't even take itself seriously most of the time.

On different note, I went to an Amon Amarth show two nights ago. I have never in my life seen that many posers in one place. It was disgusting and pathetic. It's very, very sad what Amon Amarth's fanbase has come to. Damn you, Hot Topic! Seriously, I watched a kid wearing a Korn shirt buy an Amon Amarth shirt and put it on. My favorite poser moment of the night, however, was a mallcore kid buying a shirt that had two Ansuz runes (the futhark rune for "A", it looks like this: [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Runic_letter_ansuz.png[/IMG]), which quite obviously stand for "[B]A[/B]mon [B]A[/B]marth. Mr. Poser, in his vastly informed fashion, said "I want the shirts with the "F"s on it. What the hell do the "F"s stand for, anyway?"

Wow.

That night made me more bitter towards posers than even I thought possible. Everywhere I turned, people were doing stuff like that. Some people even thought the ancient symbol of Mjolnir was Amon Amarth's logo.

Grrrrrrrrr.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]@ Goodbye, Face: That picture alone helped me become a fan of Ensiferum XD. You gotta love viking metal - the genre where the people playing are as cheesy as those listening. And let me tell you, I have many times had sword fights with my brother to a background of Ensiferum.

@ jake: This harkens how I've been lately towards naruto fans. I guess elitists are alike regardless of profession XD. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="77656"]Dragonforce+ Guitar Hero= SWEETNESS!! The last song on the game is supposed to be super hard, even on easy it is. But I've finally gotten 4 stars on Through the Fire and Flames. And yes I could hear the video game nosies. But I don't see the big deal abot it, it sounds cool actually.

I know, Jake hates Dragonforce, I don't like them that much, but the song is fun as hell.[/COLOR]

Lol I get the username thing often Jake, when ever I talk about black metal many ask me why my name is Metalcore501. ANd to be compleatly honest I have no idea it was a name the stuck in my head so I used it. To what bands I listen to.... Gorgoroth, Satyricon, Goat Whore, Behemoth(which to my Knoledge is inbetween the genres of black metal and death metal), Laviathan, and Graveworm are the bands I listen to most often and the ones I can think of off the top of my head. But weather you think im a poser or not thats your opinion of which I carenothing about, I listen to many other bands that arn't Black Metal. I've saidit soo many times before, and I'll say it again I listen to what sounds good to me from Gorgoroth, to As I lay Dieing, to Carrie Underwood!

ANd Avanged Ill check them out. :animesmil

[quote name='Metalcore501']Lol I get the username thing often Jake, when ever I talk about black metal many ask me why my name is Metalcore501. ANd to be compleatly honest I have no idea it was a name the stuck in my head so I used it. To what bands I listen to.... Gorgoroth, Satyricon, Goat Whore, Behemoth(which to my Knoledge is inbetween the genres of black metal and death metal), Laviathan, and Graveworm are the bands I listen to most often and the ones I can think of off the top of my head. But weather you think im a poser or not thats your opinion of which I carenothing about, I listen to many other bands that arn't Black Metal. I've saidit soo many times before, and I'll say it again I listen to what sounds good to me from Gorgoroth, to As I lay Dieing, to Carrie Underwood!

ANd Avanged Ill check them out. :animesmil[/QUOTE]

You listen to predictable mainstream black metal, but I'll give you major credit for not listing Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth (neither of which are black metal). Leviathan is pretty legit. Satyricon is absolutely horrible nowadays. Ugh.

You should try listening to good black metal instead.

But I don't really feel like discussing anything with you until you learn to write English. Good lord, man... your posts display a mind-numbing level of literary ineptitude.

My tastes in black metal are about like my tastes in most metal--broad. Let me walk you down the line...

To get a true feel for the beginning of black metal, you have to pick up [i]Black Metal[/i] by Venom. It isn't black metal in the way we think of it today(or at all, in my opinion), but it is the beginning.

After Venom, pick up Bathory's [i]Under the Sign of the Black Mark[/i]. Bathory is the very beginning of other things as well, like viking metal and folk metal, but this is a seminal record in the First Wave of black metal.

After that, head on over the Celtic Frost's [i]To Mega Therion[/i] and [i]Into the Pandemonium[/i]. If you're so inclined, you may want to check out the precursor to Celtic Frost, Hellhammer.

Next, Sodom's [i]In the Sign of Evil[/i] EP and their [i]Obsessed With Cruelty[/i] full length.

And--of course--you can't examine the First Wave without Mercyful Fate. [i]Melissa[/i] and [i]Don't Break the Oath[/i] are great selections.

Now, for the Second Wave...

The earliest band to exemplify this movement is Mayhem, as far as I can tell. Though, I haven't liked any of their albums until their most recent, you should check out some of their earlier stuff: [i]De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas[/i].

Next, try Immortal. [i]Sons of Northern Darkness[/i] is a good one.

Darkthrone is a good choice; try [i]Under a Funeral Moon[/i].

And the cream of Hell's crop, in my opinion: Emperor. I sing the praises of anything Ihsahn and company have ever done. [i]In the Nightside Eclipse[/i] is their best.

There are others, of course. Burzum, Satyricon, Impaled Nazarene, Marduk, and Enslaved, just to name a few. But after all these bands, and a few others, the Second Wave ends.

Now, we've lived ten years in the undeclared 'Third Wave'. I'd go so far as to say we're actually in the 'Fourth Wave', but that's just me. Some great black metal bands that don't fall into the first two waves are Sletchvalk, Wolves in the Throne Room, Leviathan, Naglfar, 1349, Gorgoroth, Goatwhore(some albums), and Rotting Christ's earlier work.

-Justin

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mm, most of those names I happen to recognize because my mom had all of the albums of all of those artists burned to 4 DVDs that ate my old computer alive XD But at least it looks like my mom listens to all of the right black metal bands, and she had a lot more, too.

I hated all of them. I tried several songs by any and hated every ****ing one. [/COLOR]

Ive heard of all those bands but I only listen to Celtic Frost and Immortal like...often. Their really good (although I prefer Celtic Frost to be honest). I still think Old Mans child is good and it sounds unique to me but you obviously have a different ear for music Jake. So I guess I did know the classics or whatever...I just didn't know they were classic.

[quote name='Kam']
Next, try Immortal. [i]Sons of Northern Darkness[/i] is a good one.[/Quote]
Also check out Immortal's [i]Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism[/i]. I have not been able to stop listening to it.

[quote name='Kam']
And the cream of Hell's crop, in my opinion: Emperor. I sing the praises of anything Ihsahn and company have ever done. [i]In the Nightside Eclipse[/i] is their best.
[/quote]
I'm not sure why, but I really can't stand Emperor's later works. Though noteworthy, if you find yourself erring towards the more grim and minimalistic BM, check out Emperor's earlier albums which, I must agree, are CLASSIC.

[quote name='Kam']
There are others, of course. Burzum, Satyricon, Impaled Nazarene, Marduk, and Enslaved, just to name a few. But after all these bands, and a few others, the Second Wave ends.
[/quote]

Note for the scrutinizing BM fan:
Burzum is outspokenly NS, and Varg's later stuff isn't even really BM (no matter how good it is)

Enslaved is sinfully good. I'm personally a fan of their Isa and Ruun albums, but their earlier works are also incredible... for different reasons, of course.

Weakling, a now-defunct BM band from california, is absolutely killer, and "Dead As Dreams" is an unfairly overlooked album. Get it.

Also, find Wolves In The Throne Room. Find them now. Not only are they one of the best BM bands I have ever heard, their sound is very distinct and interesting. If you like BM even just a little, get both of their albums. It will be the best (insert dollar amount here) you ever spent.

[quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mm, most of those names I happen to recognize because my mom had all of the albums of all of those artists burned to 4 DVDs that ate my old computer alive XD But at least it looks like my mom listens to all of the right black metal bands, and she had a lot more, too.

I hated all of them. I tried several songs by any and hated every ****ing one. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Your mother is awesome.

Hmmm... What ones do you remember listening to? I remember BM was a very hard sell for me. You can just ask Jake. :animesmil

[quote name='0ber0n the Neko']
Note for the scrutinizing BM fan:
Burzum is outspokenly NS, and Varg's later stuff isn't even really BM (no matter how good it is)[/QUOTE]

A scrutinizing BM fan is obviously something you aren't, or you wouldn't be spouting such misinformation. Burzum's music is not NS. All the lyrics deal with fantasy, sorrow, despair, etc. Yes, Varg is a crazy Nazi nowadays, but Burzum's lyrics had nothing to do with politics.

Plus, Burzum is amazing. "Jesus Tod" and "Dunkelheit" are some of the best black metal songs that have ever been recorded.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']A scrutinizing BM fan is obviously something you aren't, or you wouldn't be spouting such misinformation. Burzum's music is not NS. All the lyrics deal with fantasy, sorrow, despair, etc. Yes, Varg is a crazy Nazi nowadays, but Burzum's lyrics had nothing to do with politics.

Plus, Burzum is amazing. "Jesus Tod" and "Dunkelheit" are some of the best black metal songs that have ever been recorded.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant to say "Varg, the man behind Burzum", but I was a little loopy at the time I wrote this.

And yes, I agree, Burzum has put out some excellent tracks, definitely worth listening to.

Meh, call me foolish if you want. But I've never cared for Burzum so much. I understand he's one of the more influential black metal bands, and he's supposed to be one of the better ones; but I just can't dig his stuff.

You guys--Jake and Oberon, specifically--do me a favor and go check out Autumn Aria via the link in my sig. Tell me what you think about them.

-Justin